Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

There's some retro nostalgia in some slice-of-live movie about a dweeb working at one of these networks using his job to be king poo poo on some TNG BBS

no that was the DS9 showrunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Animal-Mother posted:

I learned more about integrity from Jean-Luc Picard than I learned from my family, religion, or culture. I'm heartbroken by how badly the new Picard show missed the mark on that character.

Yeah. The famous quote:
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." Is just :discourse:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Syndicated shows themselves are up there as a relic of the past.

All that's left are a few game shows (Jeopardy and Wheel obviously the big two) and some talk shows, yeah?

But they late 80s/early 90s heydey of syndicated dramas like TNG and DS9, Babylon 5, Renegade, Forever Knight, etc... are long gone.

Blame Regan's FCC for removing the limit on commercial breaks and commercial length.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah. The famous quote:
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." Is just :discourse:

This is also Rummikub.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

There’s been a bit of ALF chat in the funny pictures thread, which put the theme song to the cartoon in my head. Lyrics aside, imo it’s better than it has any right to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_NqJFVEOc

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1699208629826531735

https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1710357381324898544

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah. The famous quote:

Speaking of :discourse:, I think about that exact quote a lot on the bad days in the kitchen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That hbo stuff is incredible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Don’t even have to put sunglasses on that car, I’m still gonna say hell yeah

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

If that’s Turbo Teen, that gets really creepy quickly.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Playmobil has a Magnum PI set, includes Magnum’s car, a Magnum figure, along with Higgins, TC, and Rick. Not gonna lie, I have the disposable income and it’s kinda tempting…

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

root beer posted:

Playmobil has a Magnum PI set, includes Magnum’s car, a Magnum figure, along with Higgins, TC, and Rick. Not gonna lie, I have the disposable income and it’s kinda tempting…

That is actually a slick looking model

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

root beer posted:

Glad I'm not the model type of girl anymore because that is dope as hell

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s got Higgins too!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
No Zeus? No Apollo? No sale :colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
They really need to make TC's helicopter to complete the set.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

For sure. If they do that, they should make Airwolf too. They made the A-Team van and KITT, so why not?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I was always terrified that mine was tracking what I was watching and putting it on the bill. If my dad ever found out I was watching MTV it would've been curtains for me!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

They really need to make TC's helicopter to complete the set.

There's a tour outfit in Hawaii that uses MD500 helos in the correct livery.

https://magnumhelicopters.com

I didn't get a chance to go on my last trip. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I remember when channels suddenly went higher than 36 and that meant i couldn't watch a bunch of the new channels on the tv i had in my room.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PhotoKirk posted:

There's a tour outfit in Hawaii that uses MD500 helos in the correct livery.

https://magnumhelicopters.com

I didn't get a chance to go on my last trip. :(

That is baller as hell.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

root beer posted:

Thats way cooler than the lovely Magnum PI remake show, that poo poo is garbo.
Fun fact, they shot an episode of og Magnum in my crazy cat lady aunt's old house, at least she claimed they did.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I remember when channels suddenly went higher than 36 and that meant i couldn't watch a bunch of the new channels on the tv i had in my room.

TV! In your room! In the 80s! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiich!!!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
my brother and I had a TV in our room in the 80s!

It was a 10-inch black and white GE model though :)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I've never understood how American TV channel numbering works/worked. It's all just like "Oh, this new TV can get higher numbers!"

In Europe we had the VHF and UHF spectrum, but there was never any limit to how many channels you could get as long as your TV could receive the spectrum and store the frequencies.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

evobatman posted:

I've never understood how American TV channel numbering works/worked. It's all just like "Oh, this new TV can get higher numbers!"

In Europe we had the VHF and UHF spectrum, but there was never any limit to how many channels you could get as long as your TV could receive the spectrum and store the frequencies.

There is only so much space in a spectrum before saturation causes signal bleed.

Wikipedia actually has a decent comparison of how different localities dealt with that

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

evobatman posted:

On cable, yes.
Over the air there was a definite limit. VHF transmitter frequencies could only be reused every couple hunded of kilometers or so because the signal could reach far outside the target area on the regular with specific atmospheric conditions, causing both transmitters sharing the channel to be unwatchable by people in the area where they overlap. So on VHF, in the Netherlands, the maximum number of separate stations was 2, maybe 3. The VHF band had 12 channels.

On UHF the range is a bit more limited, to let's say 75km at best, with lower chance of DX propagation. So there you could re-use one channel more often. But it wasn't done much in Europe. Most european countries only had the national and local TV stations over the air.
There were almost no commercial stations over the air until everything got digitized. The first commercial ones were the offshore transmitters that were eventually outlawed with the same laws that regulated offshore radio stations.

In the end, in the analog days, you had 2, 3 or 4 national TV stations, with 1 or 2 local ones. If you lived within like 100km of your country's border, you could pick up 1 or 2 from each neighboring country.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Oct 27, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LimaBiker posted:

On cable, yes.
Over the air there was a definite limit. VHF transmitter frequencies could only be reused every couple hunded of kilometers or so because the signal could reach far outside the target area on the regular with specific atmospheric conditions, causing both transmitters sharing the channel to be unwatchable by people in the area where they overlap. So on VHF, in the Netherlands, the maximum number of separate stations was 2, maybe 3. The VHF band had 12 channels.

On UHF the range is a bit more limited, to let's say 75km at best, with lower chance of DX propagation. So there you could re-use one channel more often. But it wasn't done much in Europe. Most european countries only had the national and local TV stations over the air.
There were almost no commercial stations over the air until everything got digitized. The first commercial ones were the offshore transmitters that were eventually outlawed with the same laws that regulated offshore radio stations.

In the end, in the analog days, you had 2, 3 or 4 national TV stations, with 1 or 2 local ones. If you lived within like 100km of your country's border, you could pick up 1 or 2 from each neighboring country.

Just one correction, both UHF and VHF TV are too high-frequency to get any atmospheric bounce. VHF is more desirable due to it's ability to penetrate objects easier. Both UHF and VHF are line-of-radio-sight.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A UHF STATION, A U. H. F STATION!!!!

except in europe apparently they didn't really know what the poo poo a UHF STATION is.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Some fly by night uHF station… broadcasting out of a closet!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A definite 80s thing about UHF is that a cheap comedy that bombed in the box office* didn't get anything preserved by the studio. As a result, years later when the DVD came out the extras and deleted scenes came from a couple of dailies that had been left in Al's garage for a decade or more.

Though his introduction was fitting for any movie's deleted scenes: "These scenes weren't in the theatrical release because THEY SUCKED!"

*I loved UHF, but it's no wonder it sank given the summer of 1989:

Wikipedia posted:

Within the month prior, and up to the release of UHF, studios released bigger movies like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Lethal Weapon 2, Batman, Licence to Kill, Dead Poets Society, When Harry Met Sally..., Do the Right Thing and Weekend at Bernie's.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

A UHF STATION, A U. H. F STATION!!!!

except in europe apparently they didn't really know what the poo poo a UHF STATION is.

IDK how it was in other countries, but in 1964, we went from 1 to 2 national broadcasting stations. The 2nd one was on UHF, and everyone who wanted to receive that needed to get a little set top box called a '2nd Channel Box'. UHF was big business because of the very special tubes that had to be developed for it.
On VHF, with all the neighboring countries' stations, there simply was no space anymore on VHF to reliably put an extra transmitter without accidentally overlapping with the neighbors' range. There weren't just the two 300m tall towers, but often also smaller regional support transmitters that needed their own channels.

This was the end stage of analog TV in 2006. We ended with 1 regional TV station per province, and 3 national TV stations.

And here's the number of channels that were in use to guarantee coverage in these areas:
https://radio-tv-nederland.nl/historie/analogetv/analoge_tv2.html
In short, they needed more than 35 transmitters (and thus channels that could only be re-used when far enough away from each other) and couldn't do without the space on UHF.

I can't imagine this not being the case for other european countries. But who knows.

Neito posted:

Just one correction, both UHF and VHF TV are too high-frequency to get any atmospheric bounce. VHF is more desirable due to it's ability to penetrate objects easier. Both UHF and VHF are line-of-radio-sight.

You indeed don't get atmospheric bounce 99% of the time and it does indeed penetrate objects better, but VHF is line of sight only in theory. In practice tropospheric ducting/temperature inversions and sporadic-E propagation meant that VHF stations can be received well past the horizon a considerable amount of the time. Enough for a lot of TV users to rig up elaborate antenna systems up on their rooftops, comparable to some of the better ham radio setups.
This little chart about the offshore 'REM Island' transmitter, the first dutch commercial TV station that wasn't yet regulated away, shows that with their fairly small tower (60m tall - for comparison, the national TV transmitters' towers were both 300m tall) the REM Island station could be received up to 70 kilometers away with a 9 to 15 element Yagi antenna:

Theoretically, for a range of about 70km you need a mast over 250m high.

Especially the VHF channels below the FM radio broadcast band had a lot of quirky propagation.
Chuck this forum thread in a translator of your choice and read up on how things went in the olden days in western europe: https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/163177

I've personally managed to open VHF voice repeaters about 70km away with my antenna only being 5m high up, and the receiving antenna not being much higher. That's not unusual. What was unusual, was the time there was a huge duct from here to Germany and i made it 500km to a repeater on some mountain in germany, well past the horizon. Stuff like that would also happen with TV stations.

Those who live in norway where FM broadcast has been shut off, can now (attempt to) hear a lot of european radio stations if they rig up an antenna comparable to what TV users in the 50s and 60s used to have. Normally, with the FM band being at capacity in most countries, the weaker foreign stations are always overpowered by the local/national ones.

UHF is line of sight also quite a lot in practice, but with some luck you could cover just a bit more due to ducting and other tropospheric effects. Still, UHF range was much more controllable than VHF.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Oct 28, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Detroit Receiving Hospital / Wayne State University Health Care Institute Underground Tunnel Concourse (circa 1980)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

Detroit Receiving Hospital / Wayne State University Health Care Institute Underground Tunnel Concourse (circa 1980)

You mean starfleet HQ, main entrance, circa 2287.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

You mean starfleet HQ, main entrance, circa 2287.

Not pictured: Jeffries Tubes

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The guy that got fired from the New Yorker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah that’s why his tube isn’t pictured now, it’s what got him in trouble in the first place, right?