Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://x.com/innercitypress/status/1717957290114924790?s=20
noooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

i love the "let me answer the question I think you were trying to ask" part

no no you're doing it wrong, if i were trying to get me to confess to all the crimes i did i'd phrase it like this

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

this is going to be such an amazing shitshow i can't even.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Trillhouse posted:

i...still don't really get what the defense is going for. I know innercitypress is heavily abridged and lacks some context, but other than trying to say "advice of council" without actually saying it i haven't heard anything that isn't meandering and confusing. i can't wait for the livestream tonight, I need to hear about sam swiveling in his chair like a toddler and handling evidence like it's a bomb.

i'm just too anxious for cross. the government is champing at the bit to go after him, and he does not handle actual questioning well.

near as i can tell, the defense is going to be 'i was just giving orders, i cannot be held responsible for the crimes of the people carrying them out'

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://x.com/innercitypress/status/1717965461663404072?s=20

buttcoin: SBF: I ended up thinking- OBJECTION

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

at this point even the judge wants him to shut up

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Is there any way to read that thread without a twitter account?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ryde posted:

Is there any way to read that thread without a twitter account?

change it to nitter.net

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1717967007654576440?t=H-FFdFtI8O_-U-Qyos3MbA&s=19 >

https://nitter.net/innercitypress/status/1717967007654576440?t=H-FFdFtI8O_-U-Qyos3MbA&s=19

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trillhouse posted:

i...still don't really get what the defense is going for. I know innercitypress is heavily abridged and lacks some context, but other than trying to say "advice of council" without actually saying it i haven't heard anything that isn't meandering and confusing. i can't wait for the livestream tonight, I need to hear about sam swiveling in his chair like a toddler and handling evidence like it's a bomb.

i'm just too anxious for cross. the government is champing at the bit to go after him, and he does not handle actual questioning well.

I think they're going for a sort of nullification type appeal to the jury? As in "you know how you just do what your lawyer tells you to do when you buy a house? That's what I did! And sure instead of buying a house I defrauded thousands of people, and the lawyer I hired was a convicted felon, but I tried my best!"

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I think his defense is just scattergun. Get everything in there. We were doing it all for the first time in uncharted territory and didn't really know this was illegal and lawyers said (some of) it was ok and we made mistakes but only ever wanted what was best for the customers and maybe we made mistakes but that doesn't rise to the level of fraud.

The problem is the mountains of evidence contradicting literally every single one of those points. Most of it is undone by just one photo of the loving penthouse he bought, which tells you everything you need to know about the motives at play.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wait why did the prosecution object to sammy boi talking about going to vegas in a card game context? sounds like a layup for his gambling mentality?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

that's a "get to your loving point" objection i imagine

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait why did the prosecution object to sammy boi talking about going to vegas in a card game context? sounds like a layup for his gambling mentality?

to make the defense ask the relevant question without getting to tell a whole story to frame it first

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let Sam list his favourite fidget spinners, drat it!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

i love the "let me answer the question I think you were trying to ask" part

sam has the makings of a politician

sincerely certain of his own stupid bullshit, answers the questions he wishes he'd been asked, commits crimes in spectacular quantity

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

to make the defense ask the relevant question without getting to tell a whole story to frame it first

alright yea, makes sense. seems like defense is just trying to get the entire story in long-form which is super boring. cant wait for sassoon to tear it apart

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PittTheElder posted:

I think they're going for a sort of nullification type appeal to the jury? As in "you know how you just do what your lawyer tells you to do when you buy a house? That's what I did! And sure instead of buying a house I defrauded thousands of people, and the lawyer I hired was a convicted felon, but I tried my best!"

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the judge ruled yesterday that they can't make an "advice of counsel" defence. So I'm not sure what the next plan is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the judge ruled yesterday that they can't make an "advice of counsel" defence. So I'm not sure what the next plan is.

theyre relying on his boyish charm and giddy withdrawal symptoms

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

already been posted, but still, i love this bit so much

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
fyi - cross won't start until monday morning. direct will continue through the end of the day and at the beginning of monday.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Shame Boy posted:

snakes don't actually unhinge their jaws (and that wouldn't make eating any easier if you think about it), instead they have what's known as a kinetic skull where the jaw bone is split in the middle so the two sides can move independently, and they kinda "walk" the jaw over food to move it backwards

now you too can be bothered for a dumb petty reason every time someone says "unhinge their jaw"

nerd

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ellie the beep posted:

near as i can tell, the defense is going to be 'i was just giving orders, i cannot be held responsible for the crimes of the people carrying them out'

the rare reverse nuremberg...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my greatest shame

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shame Boy posted:

my greatest shame

mods pls change their name to shamenerd

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i can't believe there was a nerd hiding in yospos, how shameful

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i love how sick of the defense the judge is:allears:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Aren't you supposed to save your evasive non-answers for cross?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

someone was suggesting the defense is stretching things out so that the jury had time to "sit" with the testimony. i'd think you'd want to do the opposite, wouldn't the prosecution have the weekend to figure out the best way to dismantle the testimony?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

if yesterday's hearing was any indication, no, the prosecution needs no extra time to tear this paper-thin testimony to shreds, if there is anything to attack after this direct.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Eeyo posted:

someone was suggesting the defense is stretching things out so that the jury had time to "sit" with the testimony. i'd think you'd want to do the opposite, wouldn't the prosecution have the weekend to figure out the best way to dismantle the testimony?

after yesterday i feel like the defense might be filibustering to get a weekend to prepare for cross

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lol

quote:

J. Edward Moreno
Reporting from Manhattan federal court

Bankman-Fried's testimony should end by Tuesday. Closing statements could happen by Wednesday. And jurors could begin deliberation as early as Thursday.

Two more days of having to listen to this tweaker talk. Everyone in the courtroom will hate his guts by then.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mrmcd posted:

Lol

Two more days of having to listen to this tweaker talk. Everyone in the courtroom will hate his guts by then.

Bailiff: all rise
Judge Kaplan: it's fine, let's get on with it. Send in the jur—*door bursts open, foreman crying* please no more, we cannot take it. guilty! sentence him to one day of his own testimony, please your honor judge we beg of you please
SBF fistpumping: Yes! got you suckers i got the hearthstone! silver rank here i come

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 27, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

has there ever been a jury that was given instructions for deliberating and they just said "oh, we're good, he's guilty"?

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

god it's gonna be so funny when he gets convicted

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JAnon posted:

god it's gonna be so funny when he gets convicted

I predict his mother loses her entire mind at verdict, if she makes it that far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

sentence him to one day of his own testimony, please your honor judge we beg of you please

not while we have an eighth amendment sadly

Jose Valasquez posted:

has there ever been a jury that was given instructions for deliberating and they just said "oh, we're good, he's guilty"?

I don't think they're allowed to announce they have a verdict before they move from the courtroom to the deliberation room but they can spend as much or as little time as they want in there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably defense has a good case for mistrial if the jury votes too early lol

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

remember, jurors often get fed if they stay more than half a day at court. their only question might be how long they have to "deliberate" to get the stipend and a meal.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

make him wait to make up for all the babbling he put them through :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

looking like he lost weight. still curious as to his sideburn situation.

https://x.com/molly0xFFF/status/1718021754860253542?s=20
hooray

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 27, 2023