Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

verbal enema posted:

🎶San Fransisco International Airporrrrrt!
Where the big B actors roar!🎶

I’ll never forgive you for punching me in the eye at the snack counter, you made for tv hippie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
davey all those people down there are getting divorced because of you

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AHHH ITS SATAN

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My job, my way :smug:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My Lanta

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I’ll never forgive you for punching me in the eye at the snack counter, you made for tv hippie.

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It feels MUSHY. Okay, YOU FLY IT.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end

Top 10 joke of the whole loving series.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

zoux posted:

Reading all these memories about how we had to watch TV in 1992, the modern conception of "watching TV" has already diverged so far from this, it's going to be unrecognizable to people in 50 years.

my nieces and nephews have access to 24/7 MST3K, and sometimes, when I think about that, I feel like everything's OK.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’ve found a more or less complete playlist on YouTube (plus what few classic episodes are available on the Gizmoplex) so I’ve decided to do a chronological rewatch of the series. Are any of the KTMA episodes worth watching? Because they (understandably) feel pretty rough so far

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

Personally I couldn't stand Robot Wars. Too much casual racism paired with a hugely unlikable protagonist. If you're skipping Munchie for being "too special", then you might as well jump straight to Doctor Mordrid if you're not going to watch Santo.
Unlikable protagonist is a selling point for me. He's a racist dickhead. They don't even bother developing the romance storyline, so the love interest hates him for most of the movie until they are just suddenly together. Bad special effects. I think it's a pretty good movie for riffing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I’ve found a more or less complete playlist on YouTube (plus what few classic episodes are available on the Gizmoplex) so I’ve decided to do a chronological rewatch of the series. Are any of the KTMA episodes worth watching? Because they (understandably) feel pretty rough so far

The Last Chase (lol what if cars were made illegal)
SST- Death Flight (Notably, I think this is the movie Airplane! parodied)
Phase IV (utterly incomprehensible but in an oddly compelling way)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

JethroMcB posted:

Thanks to the old Satellite News broadcast schedule archive I know exactly when I first saw MST3K: March 13, 1993.

Thank you for this. I'd watched it off and on growing up, but I know for sure we watched the late night premiere of The Thing that Couldn't Die at a fifth grade sleepover and thanks to that list I know it was 11PM on March 1, 1997.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

verbal enema posted:

San Francisco International!! I loving love that episode!

I'd like to split that tab.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

muscles like this! posted:

I'd like to split that tab.

I'd like to run a tab

all over my body

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What was that movie Tab Hunter was in where like a bunch of teens break into his house and he kills them/ makes them mutants or some poo poo?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

verbal enema posted:

What was that movie Tab Hunter was in where like a bunch of teens break into his house and he kills them/ makes them mutants or some poo poo?

I’m not going to check but I want to say FREAKED! and just hope that’s true

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I’m not going to check but I want to say FREAKED! and just hope that’s true

It was not it was GROTESQUE

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DIET GUM

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tab Hunter had a number one hit in 1957? Goddamn man doing it all

In the US and the UK!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
:corsair: I’m Ziggy Stardust

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AND THAT'S WHY THE SAVIOR... IS A TRAMP~!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dawgstar posted:

AND THAT'S WHY THE SAVIOR... IS A TRAMP~!

I've always wondered what that riff is about

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

verbal enema posted:

I've always wondered what that riff is about

its a riff about the guy pretending to be a priest also kinda looking like frank sintra in his getup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1V4EczIGQ

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think one of my favorite all time riffs is in The Girl in Lovers Lane where the main character introduces himself as Bix Dugan and they spend the entire movie calling him Big Stupid.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Sardonik posted:

The Last Chase (lol what if cars were made illegal)

I watched that one a while ago and the premise of the film that the main characters are trying to escape the horrific hellscape of bicycles and public transportion that is most of the US to the freedom of car-loving California was so confusing to me until I remembered California used to be a solidly conservative/Republican state and even elected Ronald Reagan as governor since it goes so far against the current stereotype of that state. It's a lovely little time capsule of an earlier era of American politics :allears:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

muscles like this! posted:

I think one of my favorite all time riffs is in The Girl in Lovers Lane where the main character introduces himself as Bix Dugan and they spend the entire movie calling him Big Stupid.

Love that episode for that

"Mr Big Stupid, catch me!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My family didn’t have cable until the late 90s so Time Chasers was the first episode I ever saw, when MST3K had already moved to Sci-Fi. I’ll always love those Season 8 & 9 episodes the most, it’s safe to say they had the single largest impact on my formative years from any piece of media.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I pledged $160, mainly because of the a la carte nature of this crowdfunding thing. As someone who already owns all the DVDs and Blu-rays, I kind of have to keep my streak alive.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hey they broke a million!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

To get more out of me will take some actual decent merch, so lemme see them stickers and magnets
Bring back the bumper stickers of yore

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Murdstone posted:

Hey they broke a million!

While I'm glad to see this I'm worried they're genuinely not going to make it. They're going to need a lot of gas to get to even their minimum goal and I just don't know if they have it, for the reasons a lot of people who aren't backing in this thread have voiced.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I hate to say it but I feel the same way. Someone upthread posted that they already handicapped themselves by not using Kickstarter, and it just doesn't seem like the energy is there from the last crowdfund.

Did they ever explain why the Gizmoplex isn't self-sustaining as they originally planned? That could be another reason for less enthusiasm.

edit: lol if you google "make more mst3k" it still shows results from season 13's Backerkit and Kickstarter. Who is making these decisions :psyduck:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If the strike ends soon it will help a ton.
Getting some ability to have the principles do some promotion will get us there in a third of the time

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Edward Mass posted:

I pledged $160, mainly because of the a la carte nature of this crowdfunding thing. As someone who already owns all the DVDs and Blu-rays, I kind of have to keep my streak alive.

I'll just get the DVD set like I did with the current season.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hazo posted:

Did they ever explain why the Gizmoplex isn't self-sustaining as they originally planned?

No, but I can.

It has little value when not screening a brand-new season of MST3k. Nobody's talking about it, and I don't think many people liked it in the first place.

It pains me to say that, because MST3k is my all-time favorite show. I want it to be around forever. But the die-hard fans have already "circulated the tapes" or legally own a collection outright. Plus there are a ton of free and ad-supported places to see classic MST3k online already -- PlutoTV, the Twitch channel, and more.

The Gizmoplex's live events (are they even doing any now?) weren't worth the cost of admission, nor were the exclusive(?) shorts.

On top of that, most people now have streaming service overload, and many seem to be cutting way back. A niche premium service that people basically get for a single show isn't gonna fly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaspy Conana posted:

no cable but our uncle (who was also into playing drums + listening to Rush) got a VHS tape of Eegah for us for Christmas and my sister and I wore that thing out. for some reason we watched that, Forrest Gump, Little Nemo, and Titanic constantly.

I was 10 and she was ~7. we still remember the little weird Rhino ad spots with the mads by heart. at some point I believe it started being shown on PBS at odd hours so we caught other episodes then. I think we got a second tape of The Unearthly until I eventually got a job and ordered DVD sets from the internet.

I mean except for Titanic those are all excellent choices for movies to watch repeatedly

Sardonik posted:

Isaac would be able to repair the part of the theater that starts/stops the movie even without the special parts Joel used to make his robot friends. :colbert:

E: If you're wondering how he stomps and shouts, and other engineering feats, just repeat to yourself it's just a game, you should really just relax!

Oh I imagine he could get himself free whenever he wants, but after dealing with Necromorphs having to watch a bunch of cheesy movies is a much easier gig so he's willing to play along with the Mads for the time being

Larryb posted:

Mind PM'ing a link to that playlist?

Also compared to most people in this thread I'm very much a latecomer to the franchise, had some awareness of it in the late 90's and early Aughts but just never got around to watching any of it before it got canned, first time I watched anything of it would have probably been whenever Netflix had first gotten its hands on the streaming rights for The Movie, so probably somewhere around 2012

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

No, but I can.

It has little value when not screening a brand-new season of MST3k. Nobody's talking about it, and I don't think many people liked it in the first place.

It pains me to say that, because MST3k is my all-time favorite show. I want it to be around forever. But the die-hard fans have already "circulated the tapes" or legally own a collection outright. Plus there are a ton of free and ad-supported places to see classic MST3k online already -- PlutoTV, the Twitch channel, and more.

The Gizmoplex's live events (are they even doing any now?) weren't worth the cost of admission, nor were the exclusive(?) shorts.

On top of that, most people now have streaming service overload, and many seem to be cutting way back. A niche premium service that people basically get for a single show isn't gonna fly.
Due to the strike they can't hire, commit, announce, and even do promos with the stars of the show.
They do have a unique product and for the cost of a night out to see them live I get access to a bunch of cool poo poo and a season.
Just relax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I mean except for Titanic those are all excellent choices for movies to watch repeatedly

Oh I imagine he could get himself free whenever he wants, but after dealing with Necromorphs having to watch a bunch of cheesy movies is a much easier gig so he's willing to play along with the Mads for the time being

Mind PM'ing a link to that playlist?

Also compared to most people in this thread I'm very much a latecomer to the franchise, had some awareness of it in the late 90's and early Aughts but just never got around to watching any of it before it got canned, first time I watched anything of it would have probably been whenever Netflix had first gotten its hands on the streaming rights for The Movie, so probably somewhere around 2012

Done, check your PMs