Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

with the general conclusion being that it's a good step forward in Native inclusion in mainstream Hollywood even though it's far from perfect.
That seems fair, tho I really wish it weren't 200 hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That seems fair, tho I really wish it weren't 200 hours long.

Yeah that's my big turnoff from going to see it, if it was like an hour shorter it would be a shoe in to go tonight but you can fit a whole LotR movie in its runtime with room to spare.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
They computer generated the Dwarves. Yikes.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1717973605253091469

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Rachel Zegler watched Lord of the Rings 1: The Fellowship of the Ring and said "I am not having any of that perspective bullshit, also gently caress little people!"

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah that's my big turnoff from going to see it, if it was like an hour shorter it would be a shoe in to go tonight but you can fit a whole LotR movie in its runtime with room to spare.

It's five minutes longer than RotK, but feels much shorter.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

let's be honest, if the seven dwarves were all played by little people then we'd by talking about typecasting. the very concept of "dwarf" as a fantasy creature is fundamentally problematic—at least, the tolkien-ized version. making them big CGI monsters with huge heads at least makes them distinct from that popular conception.

this is not to defend the choice to remake the film in live action in the first place, but if we take it as a given that Disney will pursue live action remakes regardless, might as well deliberately make them appear cartoonish and fake

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember the other live action Snow White where for the dwarves they hire little people actors but replaced all their heads with more famous people?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just cast an extremely large person as Snow White.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no dog in this race but why would the prose in a book be a problem in a movie adaptation? They are totally different media. Just look how well Harry Potter is doing.

My point about the book not really being that well written doesn't have anything to do the movie adaption, I just noticed the author's career is product of nepotism and thought "yeah, that tracks, the book really isn't that great". Fortunately, as non fiction, the subject matter can stand apart from the actual writing. If I was going to draw a link to the movie it'd be that the book has me looking forward to the movie both because the events are themselves interesting but also because I'd like to see the historical material handled by a better artist; so really I agree with you.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kalel posted:

let's be honest, if the seven dwarves were all played by little people then we'd by talking about typecasting. the very concept of "dwarf" as a fantasy creature is fundamentally problematic—at least, the tolkien-ized version. making them big CGI monsters with huge heads at least makes them distinct from that popular conception.

I've loved fantasy dwarves since reading the Hobbit as a kid, but in recent years I've been thinking how it must suck for little people to have that association :(

muscles like this! posted:

Remember the other live action Snow White where for the dwarves they hire little people actors but replaced all their heads with more famous people?

Yeah, that was an incredibly weird choice.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I saw some pitch material for the Snow White movie years ago (maybe around 2018 or 2019) and even back then they were going for exaggerated cartoon dwarfs rather than just having actors play the roles - though back then the aesthetic was 1:1 recreations of the original animated characters so it looked like those weird "Homer Simpson in real life" pictures.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think the Tarsem Singh movie used little people actors.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It seems like from Grann's Wikipedia biography that he actually started his journalistic career from the bottom, it doesn't appear that he got handed a plum at the New Yorker right out of college. And he's now had two books adapted with a third on its way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

davidspackage posted:

I've loved fantasy dwarves since reading the Hobbit as a kid, but in recent years I've been thinking how it must suck for little people to have that association :(

I know Peter Dinklage has said he almost threw his phone at his agent when he was told that the GoT guys reached and want to meet him to play a dwarf in their fantasy series. Only calmed down when when explained further that they didn't mean the mythical kind.

He also spoke out about Snow White back in 2019 when they announced Rachel Zegler got the part. Which prompted the head of an acting agency devoted to little people to give the wildest quote,

"He's being too judgemental, but he is changing things. It matters less now what you look like for a leading man role, you can be short, you can be fat, you can be asian."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just cast an extremely large person as Snow White.

Snow white and the seven, seven foot tall professional basketball players.

Hi, ho, hi ho, it's off to play in the NBA we go! Oh wait you ate a poison apple and are in a coma now, well poo poo that's no good, well will just get you to one of the best private hospitals in the country, and I'm sure the doctors there will be able to fix you right up!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd watch Snow White and the Harlem Globetrotters

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Matthew Perry, passed away at 54.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Matthew Perry, passed away at 54.

Jesus Christ, that's relatively young.

I'm seeing he drowned in a hot tub. Is this right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Young Freud posted:

That's the current reporting.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Yeesh, awful. Drugs had messed him up, maybe too much even if he got clean. He was my favorite Friend

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Young Freud posted:

Word is it’s likely he had a heart attack, then drowned in the hot tub, which… is awful. I wouldn’t be surprised if the drugs messed with his cardiovascular health but to date no drugs were reported at the scene. Awful, regardless.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

Word is it’s likely he had a heart attack, then drowned in the hot tub, which… is awful. I wouldn’t be surprised if the drugs messed with his cardiovascular health but to date no drugs were reported at the scene. Awful, regardless.

Yeah, I had that thought before I read about the hot tub. I know he had a coke addiction and that would be the thing that fucks up your cardiovascular system.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it sadly wouldn’t be the first time someone kicks the habit but the habit has already done its damage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Jesus Christ.

quote:

His addiction led to a series of complications in 2018 that included pneumonia, an exploded colon, a brief stint on life support, two weeks in a coma, nine months with a colostomy bag and more than a dozen stomach surgeries.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Not to imply his struggle was worse than anyone else's, but drat, it's got to be hard to kick an addiction when you're a multi-millionaire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

smackfu posted:

Jesus Christ.
OK I hadn't heard about all of that before but him dying in a hot tub makes a lot more sense when you see how hosed up his body was

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The FNAF movie is bringing in close to $80 million this weekend, which I would think makes it one of the most successful horror openings ever

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

smackfu posted:

Jesus Christ.

An exploded colon? I guess there's no chance this isn't as bad as it sounds?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

smackfu posted:

Jesus Christ.
drat... could his body be any more hosed up?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FlamingLiberal posted:

The FNAF movie is bringing in close to $80 million this weekend, which I would think makes it one of the most successful horror openings ever

Scott Cawthon is going to give 10 million buxx to Mike Johnson and the Benjamin Netanyahu reelection fund

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

ugh

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I mean at least it's not another saw movie I guess. :sigh:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Saw X was pretty good, mind. It's made fresh by having Jigsaw as the protagonist for once.

I also found it more honest than The Irishman, because it didn't bother de-aging any returning characters despite this being lodged between Saw I and II.

It's explotation cheese, but good cheese at that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The new saw actually has stronger character work than the fnaf movie despite 80% of the latter devoted to establishing a character's traumatic past

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Saw X was pretty good, mind. It's made fresh by having Jigsaw as the protagonist for once.

I also found it more honest than The Irishman, because it didn't bother de-aging any returning characters despite this being lodged between Saw I and II.

It's explotation cheese, but good cheese at that.

Some excellent dark jokes too. The rope bit and the second half of the radiation trap lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched FNaF in the hospital while we waited to be discharged. I wasn't expecting it to be good but I at least wanted it to be fun.

Instead it was just boring

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Len posted:

I watched FNaF in the hospital while we waited to be discharged. I wasn't expecting it to be good but I at least wanted it to be fun.

Instead it was just boring

FNAF is entirely too god drat long for what it is, which is supposed to be a spooky robots movie. What we got is an HOUR AND FIFTY MINUTES LONG slog of meandering plot, God awful writing and bland as gently caress acting.

90 minutes would have been perfect, but no, we need to have a bunch of needless plot that circles the main character and his sister.

The set design was great for the pizza place, and the animatronics looked fan god drat tastic, but that doesn't save it from being a tedious slog.

I don't know what I expected considering I read one of the FNAF novels and that was also an over long slog of poor writing and meandering plot.

I still can't believe the loving Bannana Splits movie was more entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
fnaf is 100% made to be watched on a third screen while you watch tiktok and play a gacha game on the other two