Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony Phillips posted:

"endy chavez makes final catch of 2011 world series for the texas rangers"

Oh god what the hell happened to that baserunner(?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Oh god what the hell happened to that baserunner(?)

Celebrated by touching Beltre's head and didn't run away fast enough.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Are they gonna get Beltre to throw out a first pitch this series?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

bawfuls posted:

Are they gonna get Beltre to throw out a first pitch this series?

Game 2, I think?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I hope that Nathan “Nasty Nate” Eovaldi and the Texas Rangers, “America’s Team” are victorious tonight.

Are you sure you want to stake ground on America's team given what happened to the Yankees when they got the sneks in the WS?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

zoux posted:

Canadian rules baseball you only get 2 strikes but you can steal first.

Stealing first is one of those things I've been unironically campaigning for my entire life. If you can't stop a guy from running to first that's on you. It drives me crazy how catcher defense is basically non-existent with nobody on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember Lloyd McClendon stole first once

edit with a semi-actual post, IIRC letting batters steal first base on uncaught pitches was tried in I think the Atlantic League right before the pandemic, and the Powers That Be decided against it. I don't remember if they actually tried it but I definitely remember reading they were going to. They nixed it pretty quick.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 28, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Jean Segura did it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
On the one hand, the Rangers are a fun team.

On the other hand, they're from Texas.

On the third hand, I don't want Chapman to get a second ring.

On the fourth hand, the DBacks crossed a picket line.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Some Numbers posted:

On the one hand, the Rangers are a fun team.

On the other hand, they're from Texas.

On the third hand, I don't want Chapman to get a second ring.

On the fourth hand, the DBacks crossed a picket line.

what about sewald, surely you're rooting for him to get a ring

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

this WS already not as good as 2021

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1453152968740675586

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/jerryiannelli/status/1718054376995180907?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

baseball is so loving cool

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're the opposing team simply never hit Adolis Garcia with a pitch.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I love Adolis Garcia

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

how many postseasons in a row is sewald going to cost his team game 1 of a playoff series by walking a terrible hitter

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Shinjobi I’m sorry but I’ll have to continue Cubsposting the rest of the way after that comeback.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Shinjobi I’m sorry but I’ll have to continue Cubsposting the rest of the way after that comeback.

it just works

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

it just works

once every 108 times, it works every time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I won't stop you, but I fundamentally disagree with it. We can coexist

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seager's gonna get the yordan treatment the rest of the series

rangers gonna have to start batting adolis behind him

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
only one game in and the whiskey is coming out

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

how many postseasons in a row is sewald going to cost his team game 1 of a playoff series by walking a terrible hitter

As many as it takes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Why would you ever throw a strike to Adolis Garcia

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:frogsiren: Attention SAS, I bring you Bawfuls' New and Improved MLB Schedule and Postseason Format. :frogsiren:

We've got expansion, we've got more chaos, we've got more postseason games, and we've got a regular season that matters! We do NOT have to chose between devaluing the regular season and having a chaotic October full of thrilling upsets and riveting underdog stories! We can have it all!

First let's talk Regular Season changes:
  • Expand to 32 teams, 16 per league
  • Abolish divisions
  • Each team plays seven (7) games (two series) against each of the 15 other teams in their league (105 games)
  • Each team plays four (4) games (home-and-home) against their 1 "natural interleague rival" as they do now (4 games)
  • Each team plays three (3) games (one series) against the other 15 teams in the other league (45 games)
  • Total of 154 regular season games (a familiar number that makes old men happy)

At the end of this quite balanced schedule, we crown National League and American League Pennant Winners. The team in each league with the best record wins The Pennant (restoration of storied baseball history, old heads will love it) and gets a big trophy. (We do need to come up with some fun names for these trophies) You won the marathon, that's an achievement worth celebrating. There should be a player bonus pool for this too. The regular season officially Means Something, no matter what happens in October. This trophy has no impact on what comes next.

We also shaved a week off of the regular season, which we can use to expand the postseason into...

A 32-team Super Tournament culminating in the World Series!
  • first round is a double-header but the higher seed only has to win one game, hosted by the higher seed. Takes place on the first Tuesday after the regular season ends. Could the 112-loss A's knock out the 104-win Braves in a double header sweep? Unlikely, but what a story that would be if they did!
  • second round (Sweet 16) is a Best-of-5 BUT the higher seed starts with 1 victory in the bank, AND hosts all 4 potential games, no off days no travel days. This is important for schedule compression.
  • third round (Elite 8) is a regular DS-style Best-of-5 as we do now
  • fourth round (Final Four) is a regular Best-of-7
  • Final Round The World Series is a regular Best-of-7

Under this schedule, with the season ending a week earlier, Game 7 of the World Series would be happening tomorrow, on the last Sunday of October. No more bleeding into November bullshit.

Alternatively we could bump the schedule up enough for the regular season to end on a Friday, and the Super Chaos First Round Day happens on a Sunday. This plays well with the chaos-double-header plan, as we'd get 16 simultaneous day games, then a handful of extra thrilling night-games where crazy upsets can happen.

This system gives us the biggest possible postseason tournament, while only expanding the maximum number of games a team plays by 2-3 over the current schedule. The early rounds of the tournament are stacked against lower seeds, but not all that much and it's still baseball so we're guaranteed to get some fun upsets each year. Later rounds retain the long series we're familiar with and love about October.

NO LONGER will Mike Trout be banished from thrilling October Baseball! NO LONGER will fans of 100+ win teams bitch and moan about the "unfair" playoff format (that's what the Pennant is for, you already won a trophy for your elite performance over a 6-month grind!)

Even MLB owners should love this, because it means MORE POSTSEASON GAMES which means more TV dollars. It means even the dogshit teams with criminally negligent owners get to try their luck every October.

Over time, fans will come to value both the Pennant and the World Series as worthwhile bragging rights. And in the rare year when a team wins both, they get remembered for an all-time-great season.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 29, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nobody gives a poo poo about having the most regular season wins, in any North American sport. The NHL gives out a trophy for it and it's a huge running joke. And their playoffs aren't as random as baseball's.

That said--sure, why the hell not. I say do 4 divisions of 8 teams and all 32 teams make the playoffs, via an intradivisional ladder potential doubleheader series, each day hosted by the higher seed, lower seed has to win 2 games to the higher seed's 1 if the gap in regular season wins is 5 or more (and the #1 team in each division automatically gets that advantage). No off days. Just 7 days of madness, followed by the real playoffs which as God intended should consist solely of the ALCS, NLCS, and World Series.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 29, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about having the most regular season wins, in any North American sport.

The Dodgers do because it's the only thing they're consistently good at.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
We need to find some room in that format to get some more silverware out to teams. Need like a regional tournament, such as the current teams in AL/NL West all playing for a trophy mid season, same with Central and East. Call it whatever.

Well, might need to adjust that timing because of All Star but idea still stands.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

As a Caps fan, bragging rights on regular season wins are completely hollow. I understand your “people will grow appreciate it” angle, but I just don’t see it taking hold.

And while I like chaos, I do think there should be some amount of earning a spot in the playoffs. The teams at the top won’t be happy blowing their aces on do-or-die games against garbage teams.

I’d also love to get rid of divisions, but they’re never going away.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If anything it will probably used by fans to mock the penant winner who failed to win the World Series (basically what already happens to the Dodgers).

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

bawfuls posted:

:frogsiren: Attention SAS, I bring you Bawfuls' New and Improved MLB Schedule and Postseason Format. :frogsiren:

the teams with the highest and lowest payroll in a season have to move to antarctica

don't buy your way in, but don't be cheap

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you commit to the bit hard enough, eventually the only people left will be the people who like the format so that'd solve that problem.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

If anything it will probably used by fans to mock the penant winner who failed to win the World Series (basically what already happens to the Dodgers).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Why bother getting rid of divisions if everyone makes the playoffs?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Why bother getting rid of divisions if everyone makes the playoffs?
To balance the schedule within leagues for the Pennant

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

The Dodgers do because it's the only thing they're consistently good at.
everyone cared about it the first 70 years of MLB, I don’t buy that it’s impossible for Americans to care about it again

But also that’s kinda not the point. No one has to care about it if they don’t want to. Some people will, some people won’t. Let it evolve over time.

Dinosaurs! posted:

And while I like chaos, I do think there should be some amount of earning a spot in the playoffs. The teams at the top won’t be happy blowing their aces on do-or-die games against garbage teams.
It's not the playoffs, it's the postseason tournament. If you want to win in October you have to play well in October. The top teams get a major advantage in the first two rounds, playing only at home and having to win one fewer game than their opponents. Conversely the bottom-half teams have to win 5 road games before they get to host a game at home. If the 100-win Dodgers can't win 1 of 2 at home against Colorado, or 2 of 4 at home against like Miami, then they crash out of the tournament. And if they play well in those first two rounds, then their rotation is reset anyway for the regular best-of-5 series which corresponds to the DS now.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 29, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nice game from Kelly tonight, he joined elite company:

https://twitter.com/jayhaykid/status/1718452714298806275

edit: Slangs version is better, as usual

https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1718453574303174763

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pirate spotted (Deacon Phillippe)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sorry Bawfuls, but I do not like your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sorry Bawfuls, but I do not like your system.
it's perfect and you're wrong :colbert: