Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tree Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wasn't that just the last case of AAI?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is this the point where someone links "I can't defeat Treeman"? (Investigation 1 final case spoilers, plus 7 other culprits across both Investigation games on the robot master selection screen)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mycot posted:

I'm not sure what they could do with the main series; they're already dealing with some pretty bad cast bloat, but there aren't really any open threads left for the existing characters. But I trust whatever they come up with :)

Ace Detective: Gumshoe

I would play 4 games of it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ace Detective: Gumshoe

I would play 4 games of it.

Could basically just mod Disco.

But yeah, same.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Omobono posted:

Is this the point where someone links "I can't defeat Treeman"? (Investigation 1 final case spoilers, plus 7 other culprits across both Investigation games on the robot master selection screen)

That was excellent, thank you for sharing.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Replaying JFA and I'll second whoever said Turnabout Big Top is a low point. It's not the worst case I've played in the series, but there are some contrivances in the investigations and some of the unique character art is not great. Also, the dudes fawning over Regina (a 16 year-old) is really offputting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They try to do the thing where they treat the puppet as a separate individual but no man, that's A Literal Pedophile

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While I agree with you it's always very :shepface: to remember that none of it is a crime here in the UK.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Waffleman_ posted:

They try to do the thing where they treat the puppet as a separate individual but no man, that's A Literal Pedophile

actually it's ephebophilia Three Literal Pedophiles

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's honestly worse in context because it's a plot point that Regina acts really young for her age despite being a teenager :yikes:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maya fawning over Max is also not fun to sit through, though at least it's better than... everything with Regina.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

She and Max also feel kind of poorly-drawn. Regina in particular looks like something out of a "How to Draw Anime and Manga Characters for Beginners" book from like 2002.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

She and Max also feel kind of poorly-drawn. Regina in particular looks like something out of a "How to Draw Anime and Manga Characters for Beginners" book from like 2002.

I think Regina and Max are supposed to be parodies of shoujo manga designs. Regina looks almost exactly like a Rose of Versailles character

e. That's probably why her localized name is Regina, come to think of it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 27, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They could have easily made Bat 17 or 18 and had at least his part be fine and be the cute and sad tragic failed romance they were trying to imply.

But no

Coincidentally I'm watching VG suffer through that case RIGHT NOW, knowing he's so close to 2-4...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maya fawning over Max is also not fun to sit through

Isn’t Max only 22, or is something else off I’m forgetting about

Tesseraction posted:

While I agree with you it's always very :shepface: to remember that none of it is a crime here in the UK.

Really don’t want to have a case dealing with that kind of diplomatic immunity

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t know what it is about third cases that make them such a killer, I’ve introduced the games to multiple people and they all die off on case 3 of the first game

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's legal, it's just very annoying to have her uncharacteristically squeal with excitement every time Max does something in like the first bit.

Though I guess she's still a teenager so they do silly things like that?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think that aspect is creepy, so much as it is just annoying. She's just fangirling over a dude who sucks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really don’t want to have a case dealing with that kind of diplomatic immunity

I can't defeat, Paed Man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's extremely funny that 2-3 was the one case that the anime actually objectively improved by cutting half of it lmao

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's extremely funny that 2-3 was the one case that the anime actually objectively improved by cutting half of it lmao

The first day being totally worthless is the worst part about 2-3 so I'm glad the anime fixed that.

I've played most AA games at this point and Ben is the only character I can just say "you objectively add nothing to the story and could be removed." Dr. Hotti might not be as funny as the writers wanted him to be, but he still adds something to the case. Ben and Trilo are just...they serve no purpose at all. Not entertaining, not vital clues or testimony, nothing.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

mycot posted:

I think Regina and Max are supposed to be parodies of shoujo manga designs. Regina looks almost exactly like a Rose of Versailles character

e. That's probably why her localized name is Regina, come to think of it.

Didn't know that. Neat. At their worst, they're still not as cursed to me as Frontview Von Karma.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God the whiplash of going from 2-3 to 2-4 is so strong. What a great opening 2-4 has.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Every HD redrawn sprite looks awful to me, the "style" reminds me of old Newgrounds' flash animations so I can't help thinking they look amateurish but not in a charming way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

God the whiplash of going from 2-3 to 2-4 is so strong. What a great opening 2-4 has.

It's my favorite case in the series at this point. (still need to finish DD and start SoJ... I'll do it one day) There's just nothing like it in any of the games I've played. High stakes, a moral quandary, great characters - it's perfect.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah it's almost unfair to compare it to my other favorites because a lot of what makes it my favorites are things that could only be pulled off once.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Petiso posted:

Every HD redrawn sprite looks awful to me, the "style" reminds me of old Newgrounds' flash animations so I can't help thinking they look amateurish but not in a charming way.

:same:

The old sprites just have a magic to them that the redrawn ones can’t quite get

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not even the transition to 3d matches up to the original sprites

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Petiso posted:

The most recent release of the Trilogy is at least the best it's ever looked. The Apollo Justice redraws are a lot better, since they were originally made with an increased resolution and smaller lines.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just let me see the pixels I want the sharp pixels

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Meowywitch posted:

Not even the transition to 3d matches up to the original sprites

I feel like they hit their stride with GAA where they aren't so focused on mimicking the 2D sprites and actually used the 3D models as 3D models

Waffleman_ posted:

The most recent release of the Trilogy is at least the best it's ever looked. The Apollo Justice redraws are a lot better, since they were originally made with an increased resolution and smaller lines.

Apollo Justice has some phenomenal sprite work like look at any character in 4-2 all their sprites are just so detailed and have a ton of personality.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's what not being beholden to the hardware limitations of the GBA will do for you. IIRC the characters added in 1-5 all have plenty of poses and expressions compared to the somewhat more limited range of the first four cases. Not that the original cases didn't work magic with what they had available, mind you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe I'll have better memories of AA4 when the new trilogy comes out but I think I have too many bad memories of 4-3 and 4-4.

I do remember liking 4-2 though, and 4-1 was the first time I was ever stuck on a 'tutorial' case.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What are we thinking of the price for the new AA collection being? It's definitely gonna be in the $30-40s

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The current trilogy is 30, so probably the same

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Beat Investigations 1 earlier. The last case went on for one or two segments too long, and it was overall pretty easy (the only time I came even close to a game over was in said last case), but overall I enjoyed it. It was perfectly broken up for the method I was playing it; I'd get through one segment per break at work. And I don't really get the complaint I've seen here that it's "unfocused"; I honestly think it's one of the most focused games in the series - every case figures into the overarching plot of the smuggling ring somehow, even the tutorial case. Really I'd say that only the first game and the GAA games laser-focus on their plots as much; the general formula is to have the tutorial case, then have case 2 kinda introduce the plot (the DL-6 Incident and Edgeworth's character in 1, Pearl and Morgan in 2, the Phoenix impersonator in 3, etc), have case 3 be a "now for something completely different" moment that maybe establishes something about the prosecutor (Turnabout Samurai is the start of Edgeworth's redemption "arc", IIRC 3-3 is where it's established Godot can't see blood), and then 4 and 5 (if the game has a 5th case) wrap everything up.

Now onto Investigations 2, which is the last AA game I have yet to play (we'll ignore Layton vs Wright for now, I haven't played a single Layton game).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hope you enjoy the best game in the series

Have fun!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I would do anything to experience AAI2 for the first time again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If they're not working on AA7 their next game had better darn well be an AAI duology translation.

I could maybe accept Ghost Trick 2.