Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

I was playing as a Jewish vassal under the Abbasid empire and had (through copious amounts of murder) finagled my way into a regency and a very favourable jizya contract. Then, I got a pop-up that some random fellow vassal had started an indenpendence faction (no mention of me) and then suddenly, I became independent (and thus fair game for everyone else in the area). What happened? I have no option to swear allegice to my former liege. I like to think that he just found me too bothersome and gave me independence to get rid of me, but a bunch of other vassals (who might have been in the faction for all I know) are also independent...

Sounds like a dissolution faction pressed their demands and the Abbasids gave up without a fight. Are you sure it was an independence faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

If I have a hostage from a ruler and start a war with them, what are the repercussions? When I go to declare war it always gives me a warning about it affecting hostages but I have his hostage and he does not have one of mine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

Since when where Vikings not a riotously good time?

Since about two weeks after Old Gods for CK2 came out. When I learned that the first DLC was going to be a viking dlc I basically had a heart attack. And then true to form, everyone loves being a viking and especially "play Haesteinn of Nantes and sail to Place"

Maybe I want some fun mechanics for people that aren't vikings.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's cool that that's what you want, but the rest of us want VIKINGS

e: and no we don't care that :actually: Vikings were nothing like that at all, sit down and shut up Mr/Ms Fancy PhD Historian

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Vikings is a fantastic introduction to this game too. "Go to war, fight a shitton" gets in players. Certainly got me involved.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The best 867 start in the game is Dyre, so Vikings are ok in my book

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Taking the Papacy early game is always nice and fun and totally balanced

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

scaterry posted:

Sounds like a dissolution faction pressed their demands and the Abbasids gave up without a fight. Are you sure it was an independence faction?

I don't know what happened. The caliph is still the caliph with multiple vassals, though fewer than he used to have. Seems like I was just chucked into the independence faction randomly? I have been forced into a faction earlier (someone had a hook on a previous character), but at least I got a mention that I was forced into the Independence faction. Nevertheless, I'm 99% sure no-one had a hook on my character this time. Can an NPC liege just dump you for being a murderous, conniving, son-of-a-gun?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's not a common thing so there might be details I'm unfamiliar with but it really does sound like a dissolution faction fired off. Check out your previous liege; does he still have the title that you swore allegiance to?

I've never been granted independence voluntarily before, would have no idea what the popup would even look like.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, if your new liege doesn't think they could hold the realm they'll grant independence sometimes.

I've had that happen where an independence faction presses demands, the liege gives in, and then gives more people independence because they can't hold the realm now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone been playing Elder Kings 2? I've been hankering for another run but have no cash for Tours and Tournaments so

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

scaterry posted:

Serephina posted:

It's not a common thing so there might be details I'm unfamiliar with but it really does sound like a dissolution faction fired off. Check out your previous liege; does he still have the title that you swore allegiance to?

I've never been granted independence voluntarily before, would have no idea what the popup would even look like.

Upon checking closer, it appears that you guys were right. Must have been a dissolution faction. He actually doesn't have multiple vassals like I said, only a lot of titles. That's what I get for murdering all his older brothers, forcing his father to make me his guardian and making him craven, I guess.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I created the HRE.

The current nominee is some distant member of my dynasty.

It looks like when i die all other titles go to my son and the empire goes to the nominee.

This is fine, but it looks like i then continue as the nominee, not my son.

I assume this is because the HRE is my "primary" title. Is there a way to set my capital duchy/kingdom as my main title?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I created the HRE.

It looks like when i die all other titles go to my son and the empire goes to the nominee.

I assume this is because the HRE is my "primary" title. Is there a way to set my capital duchy/kingdom as my main title?

No, you always play as the inheritor of the primary title, and to switch it has to be an equivaleny rank title. An easy way to get out of this is to form Italia and set that as your primary

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I created the HRE.

Nope, which is dumb as hell, but so it goes

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Can also just play the HRE game and start swaying the voters. If you’re not that old, and if your son is still young then a lot of times this takes care of itself. As you get into a longer reign, people will like you more, and as your son becomes and adult, then voters are also more likely to vote for him. No guarantees, but this is the challenge of ruling the HRE. Personally, I like it because it’s something beyond just the regular game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

I created the HRE.

Can't you just switch to your son after the succession from the menu?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Can also just play the HRE game and start swaying the voters. If you’re not that old, and if your son is still young then a lot of times this takes care of itself. As you get into a longer reign, people will like you more, and as your son becomes and adult, then voters are also more likely to vote for him. No guarantees, but this is the challenge of ruling the HRE. Personally, I like it because it’s something beyond just the regular game.

It may be strange but i actually don't want to be the HRE. I just formed it because the AI was faffing around and now I want to go back to creating Switzerland developing my culture.

Staltran posted:

Can't you just switch to your son after the succession from the menu?

Yeah I guess i will have to do that, it just seems like there should be a direct option like when your nominee gets land after a Holy War. I suppose I could also work on swaying the vote against my dynasty so that some random Duke gets it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

It may be strange but i actually don't want to be the HRE. I just formed it because the AI was faffing around and now I want to go back to creating Switzerland developing my culture.

Yeah I guess i will have to do that, it just seems like there should be a direct option like when your nominee gets land after a Holy War. I suppose I could also work on swaying the vote against my dynasty so that some random Duke gets it.

Yeah I always felt that should be a game rule, even like back in CK2. With elective (or seniority, or tanistry) and a big dynasty I'm usually interested in my direct kids/siblings/grandkids I know and built, and it's frustrating to have shuffle around the lands and figure out this new 50-year-old AI guy that's my third cousin twice removed (on both sides)

doubly so if you also get thrust into a faraway holding from your start.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The new update for Godherja is out, completely overhauling the magic system.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vichan posted:

The new update for Godherja is out, completely overhauling the magic system.

I have no strong opinions yet on the new system but I do like the cute little aspect symbols on all the mages character sheets now.

And how many weird and wack magic schools there are, jeez.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpXyjiq4rYc

New preview by OPB on the official CK3 channel. Shows off the new struggle end decisions, too! Seems fun

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i haven't played since the fate of iberia pack. What's new game-wise and modding wise

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Stairmaster posted:

i haven't played since the fate of iberia pack. What's new game-wise and modding wise

New region pack (Legacy of Persia) out next week, adding a new Struggle to Persia.

Tours and Tournaments was the big expansion of the year, making it so all the little activities you can do- feasts, hunts, pilgrimages, etc.- take place in a specific place on the map and require you to travel to and from them. Also they added bigger activities like tournaments, huge weddings, and more. Also fleshed out regencies.

Wards and Wardens fleshed out having and being a ward, and also made it so adults can spend a large sum of gold to partake in a 'University' activity, which gives you a chance of upgrading your education perk, even from Lvl 4 to a brand-new Lvl 5.

I think that's the big hits in terms of the game.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I'm playing on iron man right now, so I'd like some advice before I try this out. I've got too many children and the golden one is too far down the inheritance line. I know that you can force rebellious vassals to renounce their claims after you win the war and imprison them, but will I still get that option if I imprison my unlanded, innocent children? I know there's going to be tyranny, but I can live with that, I just want to remove a bunch of losers from the inheritance line. Can I do so via imprisonment and renounce claims, or am I forced to execute the lot?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm playing on iron man right now, so I'd like some advice before I try this out. I've got too many children and the golden one is too far down the inheritance line. I know that you can force rebellious vassals to renounce their claims after you win the war and imprison them, but will I still get that option if I imprison my unlanded, innocent children? I know there's going to be tyranny, but I can live with that, I just want to remove a bunch of losers from the inheritance line. Can I do so via imprisonment and renounce claims, or am I forced to execute the lot?

Your kids have implicit claims rather than actual claims, and you can’t force them to renounce those because they don’t become real claims until you die. If you’re a religion with monasticism you can force prisoners to take vows which removes them from the line of succession (though some prisoners might refuse, unless you have a hook), but you can’t do this to primary or secondary heirs. I think you could imprison your third, forth, fifth etc. kids and make them take vows until your desired child is third in line, then arrange for the deaths of your first and second born.

I think, anyway, it’s been a while since I did this!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Vows are much more likely to be taken if they're not next in line, so start far down and work your way back up. Execution is turbo evil, conversely it's hard to find legitimate reasons to use capital punishment. Disinheritance is easy and merely impolite, but quite expensive.

Having your kids "accidentally" die would be most convenient, but unless you're sadistic you're gonna have to do something really game-y to have that happen with ease. Forcing them to be knights and taking bad fights kinda works!

--------------

edit: The 'real' way of doing this (assuming partition is still active and you can't just nominate your favorite) is to do something awfully game-y and put an elective law on your primary title and just let all the other kids inherit random stuff. This is really, really messy as it fudges with normal inheritance and your player heir might not get your capital, it can get ugly. BUT! He will also get all your cash and armies and has legit claims on all the stuff that just got handed over to mister no-allies-no-armies, so it's trivial to retake it all within a few short years. It's also extremely optimal play and quite boring and game-y (I'm gonna keep using that word) and goes against the spirit of things. Accepting the chaos of confed partition is probably the most elegant way of handling things, and/or taking the later start date if you don't want to wait until the game is over before you get to use more toys.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 3, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Said it before and I’ll say it again, it will be more fun if you play as whichever dipshit heir you get instead of taking it to the best one

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Your kids have implicit claims rather than actual claims, and you can’t force them to renounce those because they don’t become real claims until you die. If you’re a religion with monasticism you can force prisoners to take vows which removes them from the line of succession (though some prisoners might refuse, unless you have a hook), but you can’t do this to primary or secondary heirs. I think you could imprison your third, forth, fifth etc. kids and make them take vows until your desired child is third in line, then arrange for the deaths of your first and second born.

I think, anyway, it’s been a while since I did this!

Serephina posted:

Vows are much more likely to be taken if they're not next in line, so start far down and work your way back up. Execution is turbo evil, conversely it's hard to find legitimate reasons to use capital punishment. Disinheritance is easy and merely impolite, but quite expensive.

Having your kids "accidentally" die would be most convenient, but unless you're sadistic you're gonna have to do something really game-y to have that happen with ease. Forcing them to be knights and taking bad fights kinda works!

--------------

edit: The 'real' way of doing this (assuming partition is still active and you can't just nominate your favorite) is to do something awfully game-y and put an elective law on your primary title and just let all the other kids inherit random stuff. This is really, really messy as it fudges with normal inheritance and your player heir might not get your capital, it can get ugly. BUT! He will also get all your cash and armies and has legit claims on all the stuff that just got handed over to mister no-allies-no-armies, so it's trivial to retake it all within a few short years. It's also extremely optimal play and quite boring and game-y (I'm gonna keep using that word) and goes against the spirit of things. Accepting the chaos of confed partition is probably the most elegant way of handling things, and/or taking the later start date if you don't want to wait until the game is over before you get to use more toys.

Thanks guys. Figured it was something like this. Guess it's "knight-knight" for a few bookish poindexters... Luckily, I'm playing as Israel, so I'll justify it as a David/Uriah homage.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Said it before and I’ll say it again, it will be more fun if you play as whichever dipshit heir you get instead of taking it to the best one

Never!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My recent run I accidentally ended up succeeding as a totally useless failson everyone hated. I decided to go on a hunt to make people like me right away. Gored by a boar and died and had to continue as a 2 year old with a power mad regent.

Hilariously fun, definitely recommend playing it out.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

A snapshot of our last campaign, session before our last.

If anyone is interested in playing the AGOT mod for CK3 your local pals in Mapgoons are currently organizing one that starts this coming Sunday. Fresh off the heels of our last successful AGOT campaign which ended last weekend we've adjusted the times to be more euro friendly with a 4pm UTC+0 startime. Additionally we've delved deeper into the modding mines and have added various things to enhance our campaign a bit more in terms of flavor, mechanics, MAA's, and what not. Additionally we're creating our own custom mod that'll freeze our mod order list to ensure maximum stability with the game going forward.

One of our more industrious players took snapshots of everyones characters and lands after session 2 last game https://imgur.com/a/AfuPyQb so feel free to check that out as it was cool stuff and could give you inspiration for your own plans. If you'd be interested in participating in our next game come to the discord and checkout the sunday-ck3weekly channel under weekly games and we'll get you sorted.

https://discord.gg/MxSeuj9g

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh hell yes

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

0 years old and a 9% chance of winning the fight. Kid's got a bright future.

Edit: I won the duel

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Tripped over him and stabbed myself in the thigh

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

OoohU posted:

A snapshot of our last campaign, session before our last.

If anyone is interested in playing the AGOT mod for CK3 your local pals in Mapgoons are currently organizing one that starts this coming Sunday. Fresh off the heels of our last successful AGOT campaign which ended last weekend we've adjusted the times to be more euro friendly with a 4pm UTC+0 startime. Additionally we've delved deeper into the modding mines and have added various things to enhance our campaign a bit more in terms of flavor, mechanics, MAA's, and what not. Additionally we're creating our own custom mod that'll freeze our mod order list to ensure maximum stability with the game going forward.

One of our more industrious players took snapshots of everyones characters and lands after session 2 last game https://imgur.com/a/AfuPyQb so feel free to check that out as it was cool stuff and could give you inspiration for your own plans. If you'd be interested in participating in our next game come to the discord and checkout the sunday-ck3weekly channel under weekly games and we'll get you sorted.

https://discord.gg/MxSeuj9g

I have a legal version so count me in

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Starting a weekly, right before a new dlc releases? brave

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
We're nothing if not criminally stupid.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Finished an all-cultures merged run right before the dlc releases. I feel pretty good about it, not much time improvement can be made (maybe making the decision cultures earlier? idk)

Explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/17qk4g2/comment/k8ch4bi/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What in the goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

scaterry posted:

Finished an all-cultures merged run right before the dlc releases. I feel pretty good about it, not much time improvement can be made (maybe making the decision cultures earlier? idk)

Explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/17qk4g2/comment/k8ch4bi/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Fajita Queen posted:

What in the goddamn

Yeah, why'd you keep Malleable Invaders for the final culture?