Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

A particular subtype of 'little thing' that I love and doesn't really exist anymore are the ways that older games cheated to depict something that should physically happen, but wasn't technically possible. I didn't realize this one until I saw a tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/victorehunter/status/1717079428961083676

And related: I also love that the MGS Collection is a bunch of no-bullshit ports, because those games are full of stuff that's only impressive, interesting and compelling because of the tech it's working at. I normally love HD remasters, but not for Metal Gear.

I always loved the PS2-era "reflections" where they just duplicated the map and models under an opacity layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

I always loved the PS2-era "reflections" where they just duplicated the map and models under an opacity layer.

Oh that's much older and dates back into the PS1 and N64 era. Nevermind some PC games doing it as well.

It's a favourite of mine too though. :allears:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh that's much older and dates back into the PS1 and N64 era. Nevermind some PC games doing it as well.

It's a favourite of mine too though. :allears:

I want to say there were even some Super Nintendo and Genesis games that did that with clever sprite work and layers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Witness Bio-Force Ape. An unreleased NES game because the publisher thought a title where you play a diaper-wearing ape-man who wrestles his foes was too weird. Boasts the fastest-scrolling and smoothest animations on the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmSgbhAxZ_k

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

A particular subtype of 'little thing' that I love and doesn't really exist anymore are the ways that older games cheated to depict something that should physically happen, but wasn't technically possible. I didn't realize this one until I saw a tweet about it.

And related: I also love that the MGS Collection is a bunch of no-bullshit ports, because those games are full of stuff that's only impressive, interesting and compelling because of the tech it's working at. I normally love HD remasters, but not for Metal Gear.

It's missing this very important part.

https://twitter.com/othatsraspberry/status/1717090422454174157

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Necrothatcher posted:

That's what all games are doing if they aren't using ray tracing. In DOS era or today.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vic posted:

That's what all games are doing if they aren't using ray tracing. In DOS era or today.

I haven't seen a mirror do that in a game in ages. If they're not showing off raytracing bathroom mirrors are usually 'dirty' and non-reflective.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

oh so it's your fault

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vic posted:

Necrothatcher posted:

I haven't seen a mirror do that in a game in ages. If they're not showing off raytracing bathroom mirrors are usually 'dirty' and non-reflective.

There's an alignment chart meme of 'ways game developers cheat at mirrors', and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of these. Some have definitely gone in and out of style over time, or at least found ways to obscure themselves.

I think I saw the double-render, 'window into another bathroom', shattered mirror and low-res cubemap all in different N64 games. (EDIT: And I feel like the mirror room in Mario 64 specifically might've inadvertently primed us all to recognize these tricks, I'm pretty sure that was the first time I ever saw a game do a mirror and it was already loving with me.)

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Oct 25, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I've been playing through the expansion story lines in Elder Scrolls Online, and my main character is an Altmer/high elf. The Altmer come from a notoriously snooty, even chauvinist culture, and it's darkly funny that other high elves will take a moment to figuratively lean in to my character and say something like "oh, a fellow high elf, of course you agree with me..." before launching into a discussion about the dirty lizard folk or whatever. It's realistic! :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario 64 is a really fun case with how much of it is basically 3D tricks for the sake of it, and gets away with it because it's very clearly reinventing a genre from the ground up.

That's a funny one but also, well, not hard to figure out what the metaphor is huh?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There's an alignment chart meme of 'ways game developers cheat at mirrors', and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of these. Some have definitely gone in and out of style over time, or at least found ways to obscure themselves.

I think I saw the double-render, 'window into another bathroom', shattered mirror and low-res cubemap all in different N64 games. (EDIT: And I feel like the mirror room in Mario 64 specifically might've inadvertently primed us all to recognize these tricks, I'm pretty sure that was the first time I ever saw a game do a mirror and it was already loving with me.)

I remember watching a GDC video on why large amounts of AAA devs don't bother with mirrors. Racing games you go by too fast. FPS games it's because animations look goofy/wrong and usually it's not worth making a new set just for that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

Cubemaps and scene probes are pretty common too, render a second view of the scene and use that as the reflection texture.

Which is, weirdly enough, how they did reflections in the first Toy Story, because they didn’t have a ray tracer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Cyberpunk uses the method of techno-mirrors, which are fogged-over until you interact with them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In RE7 the mirrors are all this nice matte black that reflects light but not environments, so there's no clutter but still very pretty refractions from your flashlight everywhere. It's a surprisingly immersive cheat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't let the audience see Ethan Winter's face

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They are so dedicated to hiding Ethan's face that the one time you see him from third person, people's arms and bodies are in the way to prevent you from seeing above his nose like he's a mystery informant in The Naked Gun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ethan looks like his Starbucks order has 11 steps.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I forgot about that. I wondered how they were gonna handle Ethan's face when they added the third-person view for RE8.

https://i.imgur.com/DENsB5T.mp4

Turns out he's still just a little ol' shyboy if you try and get too close in with the camera :v:

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Cleretic posted:

I'm a huge fan of Vagrant Story on the PS1 faking character lighting by just duplicating the models, making them bright and offsetting them to look like they were actually being lit
https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1226610299521970176?t=F_BD1pDiV3Uz0cNWAUT6Bg&s=19
Lots of other cool stuff in that thread as well

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vagrant story generally has tons of cool art poo poo, especially for the era. Too bad the game itself was boring as gently caress

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

isn't it like basically reimplemented as parasite eve though?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Whenever I hear vagrant story I think of valkyrie profile, I’m just now realizing for decades I’ve forgotten vagrant story was a game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about that. I wondered how they were gonna handle Ethan's face when they added the third-person view for RE8.

https://i.imgur.com/DENsB5T.mp4

Turns out he's still just a little ol' shyboy if you try and get too close in with the camera :v:

Ethan is a couple months away from having a mullet, which honestly would've been the best plot twist/reveal RE8 could've done. Imagine putting the last shotgun round into Heisenberg's face, after all the spectacle/badass action-movie-hero moments that go with that fight, only to realize that Ethan's had a mullet this whole time and suddenly everything makes perfect sense. Why does this man have enough firepower for a whole S.T.A.R.S squad? Why is he so quick to rush headfirst into certain death? Why does he always manage to not only survive, but come out stronger on the other side? Is it mycelium? No! He's got a mullet!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Alone In the Dark: New Nightmare for the PS1 had a working flashlight (that would reveal a lit up double of the map where the flashlight beam hit the environment).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Quorum posted:

I've been playing through the expansion story lines in Elder Scrolls Online, and my main character is an Altmer/high elf. The Altmer come from a notoriously snooty, even chauvinist culture, and it's darkly funny that other high elves will take a moment to figuratively lean in to my character and say something like "oh, a fellow high elf, of course you agree with me..." before launching into a discussion about the dirty lizard folk or whatever. It's realistic! :smith:

Currently playing Morrowind and counting down the minutes until I can go apeshit and start murdering slavers and freeing slaves en masse. Something I've been primed for ever since playing through ESO.

On a related note, I finally got the speech about how the Telvanni explicitly build their towers with no stairs to keep out the riff raff. Little do they realize, they are not protected. :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
fwiw Ethan having no face attached comes back around in a terrifying way in Village's DLC so I like it a lot now. The enemies are named Face Eaters and they live up to it. The command grab has them sucking Rose's face away into shadow and nothingness just like his. It's a metaphor for how she never got to know him. It's also way scarier than gore would have been! :nws:

edit: Also Ethan is the best RE character since Sheva Alomar, no question. Now where is she Capcom?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Oct 26, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also Ethan is the best RE character since Sheva Alomar, no question. Now where is she Capcom?

She is hanging out Billy Coen

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
God of War 3: Kratos has kept the artifacts which he has found during God of War 2.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I love that the guy from the first five seconds of Morrowind - Mr. "wake up, we're here" - goes on to be canonized as a saint. What for? Exterminating every last cliff racer on Vvardenfell.

I think of him every time I kill half a dozen on the way to wherever I'm going.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I love that the guy from the first five seconds of Morrowind - Mr. "wake up, we're here" - goes on to be canonized as a saint. What for? Exterminating every last cliff racer on Vvardenfell.

I think of him every time I kill half a dozen on the way to wherever I'm going.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Not the Messiah posted:

I'm a huge fan of Vagrant Story on the PS1 faking character lighting by just duplicating the models, making them bright and offsetting them to look like they were actually being lit
https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1226610299521970176?t=F_BD1pDiV3Uz0cNWAUT6Bg&s=19
Lots of other cool stuff in that thread as well

I think that's also how Okami did the brush-stroke outlines on everything, make a duplicate model in all-black.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:eyepop:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

YggiDee posted:

I think that's also how Okami did the brush-stroke outlines on everything, make a duplicate model in all-black.

It's a surprisingly workable approach, too. I just learned today that it's also how the fifth generation of Pokemon did outlines for storage management; slightly offset, all-red version of the sprite.

It's pretty obvious with a glitch that renders the actual Pokemon sprites invisible, but the 'outline' sprite still there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jonathan Dwemer-hand

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:five:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm playing through Paper Mario: The Origami King right now, and there's an amazing intersection of this game's mechanics with my controller. I have an 8bitdo bluetooth controller that's basically a Switch Pro controller, and it's got these hair-trigger L2/R2 (or ZL/ZR) buttons. It'd be a nightmare if I was playing a Souls game, any time I set the controller down I would have to face my character towards a wall and away from any NPCs, or else run the risk of slamming an R2 Zweihander slam into a vendor that sells an important consumable/has an important questline

But L2/R2 in The Origami King activates the Confetti ability, where you lunch a ton of confetti out like a Party Popper, in order to patch over holes in the ground/environment. So every time I pick up my controller, even if I don't feel like I'm pressing the buttons down at all, Mario launches a fuckload of confetti into the air and does a little spin :allears:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

There's a cute little moment between V and Johnny in the new cyberpunk dlc, V is assigned to find an agent and the only way to call him is through a landline. While V is perplexed on how to use the phone Jonny gestures to V to put it against their ear.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

There's a cute little moment between V and Johnny in the new cyberpunk dlc, V is assigned to find an agent and the only way to call him is through a landline. While V is perplexed on how to use the phone Jonny gestures to V to put it against their ear.

With a little smirk too, it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy