Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zaroff posted:

The TNG remasters were unique - they went back to the Paramount archives, and located all the original film. Then they remastered the film, and then reconstructed the episodes based on the original camera scripts. Then they added effects consistent with what was on screen (occasionally fixing things like a phaser coming from the torpedo launcher), so it’s probably the best overall remaster possible!

The only trouble was that the remastering was ridiculously expensive, and the bluray sales didn’t justify moving on to DS9 or Voyager. I do wonder how much that was them putting the remasters on Netflix, so removing a lot of the value in the blurays…

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah it was one of the most painstaking remasters of all time, and it shows. TOS also looks great, but that was a bit easier because 95% of it was simply film reels they could directly rescan. The effects shots look weird but there aren't really that many.

Once you get to the era of stuff being mastered to video it gets way more complicated. And if it was shot on video you can pretty much forget it.

Veotax posted:

Yeah, TNG (and probably DS9 and Voyager) was shot on film, but then edited on video. So the original shots look amazing when scanned in on modern hardware, but the finished episodes look like poo poo. So they had to find all of the original, unedited footage, and rebuild the episodes matching the original edits. Plus making new effects for things that weren't done in-camera.

It's tons of work and very expensive, which is why they only did TNG.

This is why tons of outtakes suddenly surfaced and look amazing, because they found the while scanning the film. They even put out an alternate longer edit of The Measure of a Man with scenes that didn't make the final cut.

wow, that's pretty drat cool! didn't realize they put in that much effort. and for like nearly 200 episodes! :psyduck: (another neat fact i just discovered)

shame the blu-rays didn't sell well. effort like that should have been rewarded :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I mean Kelsey Grammar was never much of a catch

Didn’t want this one to go unnoticed. He was a good choice for the cerebral side of Beast, but unless you need a man quoting his doctoral thesis at you in between punches there was probably a better option :v:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Didn’t want this one to go unnoticed. He was a good choice for the cerebral side of Beast, but unless you need a man quoting his doctoral thesis at you in between punches there was probably a better option :v:

Isn't that pretty much what Beast is all about, though? You know, when the writer actually tries.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Isn't that pretty much what Beast is all about, though? You know, when the writer actually tries.

Idk, my only real exposure to him outside of the movie was the mid-90’s cartoon and that’s all but a faded memory now :(

e: George Buza (original voice actor) is coming back for the series continuation :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Oct 27, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Asterite34 posted:

In the 90s yes, no he's all about doing crimes against decency/humanity/time and quoting Shakespeare to justify it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember him more from X-Men Evolution where he's pretty much the same as the 90s but pretty fun. There's one ep where he gets mistaken for Bigfoot and captured by Bigfoot hunters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beast is just blue Reed Richards most of the time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On that note, Optimus Prime would probably get the same reason if he was slightly more humanised.

I guess Evil Twink energy is stronger than Kind Action Dad energy, because from what I'm aware, this does not stop people at all when it comes to Starscream.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr Interweb posted:

wow, that's pretty drat cool! didn't realize they put in that much effort. and for like nearly 200 episodes! :psyduck: (another neat fact i just discovered)

shame the blu-rays didn't sell well. effort like that should have been rewarded :smith:

I think the real problem is that by the time it happened, the target audience had moved past wanting a big pile of physical media.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

e: George Buza (original voice actor) is coming back for the series continuation :unsmith:

Fun fact: he’s also the trucker who drops Rogue off at the truck stop where she meets Wolverine in the X-Men movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In the 90s yes, no he's all about doing crimes against decency/humanity/time and quoting Shakespeare to justify it.

Gotta love how Age of Apocalypse introduced Dark Beast, which was pretty much "what if Beast was Dr Mengele" and current day regular Beast is even worse ("what if Beast was Henry Kissinger and Dr. Mengele combined")

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I remember in the 90s cartoon, they had him reading a book while just chilling in a chair made out of more books.

Beast is cool, because I've wanted a chair like that ever since!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phy posted:

I guess Evil Twink energy is stronger than Kind Action Dad energy, because from what I'm aware, this does not stop people at all when it comes to Starscream.

I mean, are you in the slightest surprised?

Optimus and Megatron also have extreme messy exes energy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Gotta love how Age of Apocalypse introduced Dark Beast, which was pretty much "what if Beast was Dr Mengele" and current day regular Beast is even worse ("what if Beast was Henry Kissinger and Dr. Mengele combined")

I'm sorry, what?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah Beast gets into all sorts of warcrimes now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I haven't bothered to keep track of Marvel's storylines in yonks but it seems like every remotely popular mutant has gone through more face-heel turns and vice versa than any three WWE wrestlers.

Except Wolverine who must always be a gruff but loveable murder machine.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Randalor posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Well as a couple of recent examples, (spoilers for parts of the recent runs of x-men comics - x-force and wolverine mostly): beast ran a clandestine space prison that he used to test biological weapons on the inmates and then later made a bunch of essentially brain-dead wolverine clones to perform assassinations with.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, are you in the slightest surprised?

No not actually

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

Well as a couple of recent examples, (spoilers for parts of the recent runs of x-men comics - x-force and wolverine mostly): beast ran a clandestine space prison that he used to test biological weapons on the inmates and then later made a bunch of essentially brain-dead wolverine clones to perform assassinations with.

... you know what, considering that the only difference between Beast and Dark Beast was no one telling Dark Beast that "ethics" and "morals" were things, yeah, no, I can actually easily believe Beast is a well-spoken psychopath when no one is looking over his shoulder to see what he's working on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I forgot about the wolverine clones Christ how do you even dispose of those when you're done with them? The mind boggles at the ethics involved in thinking that was a good idea on any level.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

I forgot about the wolverine clones Christ how do you even dispose of those when you're done with them?

Just Kars them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

face-heel turns
I've been curious about this for a while - where does "face-heel turn" and vice versa even come from? In wrestling, it's just "face turn" or "heel turn" depending on which way the wrestler is turning.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Media that will not age well: today's awful trend of cropping things so we can watch it portrait-style on our phones. I think this must be TikTok's fault -- can you even film in landscape on TikTok? Everything looks so goddamn bad, objectively bad, in portrait. Objectively!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DMorbid posted:

I've been curious about this for a while - where does "face-heel turn" and vice versa even come from?

TVTropes.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

credburn posted:

Media that will not age well: today's awful trend of cropping things so we can watch it portrait-style on our phones. I think this must be TikTok's fault -- can you even film in landscape on TikTok? Everything looks so goddamn bad, objectively bad, in portrait. Objectively!

I mean, TikTok doesn’t help anything, but smartphones had been defaulting to portrait for years before that came around.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh, of course.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DMorbid posted:

I've been curious about this for a while - where does "face-heel turn" and vice versa even come from? In wrestling, it's just "face turn" or "heel turn" depending on which way the wrestler is turning.

I genuinely thought wrestling used the longer phrases. I don't recall where I picked it up in that specific format - I must have just absorbed it from online discussion - but I did know the origin was in wrestling.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I genuinely thought wrestling used the longer phrases.
I've spent entirely too much of my life on wrestling forums and have never once seen anyone use the long versions. :v:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DMorbid posted:

I've spent entirely too much of my life on wrestling forums and have never once seen anyone use the long versions. :v:

I don't know anything about wrestling except what I've picked up here and there so I am completely willing to cop to being wrong.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Beast also made a bunch of clones of himself to help plan his war crime shenanigans. And because he's a petty egocentric dick, he did this:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has he blown up the moon yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Capeshit and pro wrestling have way too much in common.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AceOfFlames posted:

Beast also made a bunch of clones of himself to help plan his war crime shenanigans. And because he's a petty egocentric dick, he did this:

Also he's only a blue furball because he hosed up a thing he was doing, if he'd cloned them better they'd just be regular guys with big hands and feet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Capeshit and pro wrestling have way too much in common.

Yeah theyre both great

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nerds were so loving hostile to Brian Michael Bendis' X-Men run for reasons I never cared to understand, and we can thank it for recognizing and codifying that Hank McCoy is a good guy who is in no way a "good guy."

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Nerds were so loving hostile to Brian Michael Bendis' X-Men run for reasons I never cared to understand, and we can thank it for recognizing and codifying that Hank McCoy is a good guy who is in no way a "good guy."

I think this is a big reason people hate it yeah. Beast was traditionally the super scientist who wasn't a raging rear end in a top hat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think this is a big reason people hate it yeah. Beast was traditionally the super scientist who wasn't a raging rear end in a top hat.
That's kind of a shibboleth because it reveals that anyone who got pissy about that wasn't actually reading any X-Men comics published after 1992 or so. Beast has canonically been an rear end in a top hat for decades. All Bendis did was make that characterization explicit in a way that even the dullest fans could understand-- having a character do a comedy scene where they stop the plot to whine specifically about how Beast is an rear end in a top hat.

I remember there are valid reasons to dislike Bendis' run-- Bendis had been one of Marvel's workhorses for like ten years at that point and people were tired of his style; he took on the riskier and less fun "Cyclops running a terrorist cell" book while Jason Aaron took on the cozier "Wolverine runs a school" book at a time when the X-books had already been very dour for like half a decade; his big pet creation Tempus is a dud and given a disproportionately powerful ability that is always risky as hell to introduce into an established cast; he helped spearhead the whole "Original 5 X-Men as teens come back" plotline which was gimmicky but actually pretty fun; the whole Inhumans poo poo from Executive came down around that time so people were shooting left and right; this wasn't too long after he created Miles Morales and y'know... people are still having a normal one about that

but Beast being an rear end in a top hat? Idk that's some Last Jedi "don't gently caress with my blankie" poo poo from what I can see.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

That's kind of a shibboleth because it reveals that anyone who got pissy about that wasn't actually reading any X-Men comics published after 1992 or so. Beast has canonically been an rear end in a top hat for decades. All Bendis did was make that characterization explicit in a way that even the dullest fans could understand-- having a character do a comedy scene where they stop the plot to whine specifically about how Beast is an rear end in a top hat.

I remember there are valid reasons to dislike Bendis' run-- Bendis had been one of Marvel's workhorses for like ten years at that point and people were tired of his style; he took on the riskier and less fun "Cyclops running a terrorist cell" book while Jason Aaron took on the cozier "Wolverine runs a school" book at a time when the X-books had already been very dour for like half a decade; his big pet creation Tempus is a dud and given a disproportionately powerful ability that is always risky as hell to introduce into an established cast; he helped spearhead the whole "Original 5 X-Men as teens come back" plotline which was gimmicky but actually pretty fun; the whole Inhumans poo poo from Executive came down around that time so people were shooting left and right; this wasn't too long after he created Miles Morales and y'know... people are still having a normal one about that

but Beast being an rear end in a top hat? Idk that's some Last Jedi "don't gently caress with my blankie" poo poo from what I can see.

Eh you'd have a big wave of new readers coming in from the 90s cartoon and 2000s movies where he was cool. I don't think it's a disingenuous position.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've read the original story where Beast goes from a slightly weird dude with big hands to furry blue monster man and it's very anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I think the X-Men look really cool, but as far as I've seen like 70% of all X-Men comics seem to have been written by Scott Lobdell, Warren Ellis, or Joss Whedon, so no thanks.