Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

spacetoaster posted:

Just two? You should go check your math.

Libya, Syria, Iraq's an old war, doesn't count... there's probably some coups and poo poo that we were in, but every president is up to those. Probably am missing one though.

What a cool country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

If you think about it, if the electorate is split 50-50, you always stand to gain more votes by appealing to the whole 50 on the other side than any subset of your own group which by definition must be less than 50.

It's just M A T H

If only you could withhold your vote to counter that incentive.

Oh well, engage the ratchet and vote!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Arabs absolutely must vote for democrats, but also its ok for democrats to help israel commit a genocide because zionists wont vote for them if they dont

dont ask me to consider these two arguments with the context of each other

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Albert Speer at Nuremberg

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

If only you could withhold your vote to counter that incentive.

Oh well, engage the ratchet and vote!

Every time you withhold your vote, you only reduce the number on your side, e.g. 49 - 50, thus tilting the MATH even further away from appeal to your interest group.

Be rational, please

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

spacetoaster posted:

Just two? You should go check your math.

Special ops and surgical bombing campaigns that last for weeks* using a combination of american and proxy foeces isnt war god damnit.

*sometimes, years

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

math : not even once

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

don't think its controversial to say that lesser-evilism is a pretty uninspiring and demoralizing message to voters, especially to the younger demographic

also don't think that it is wrong for people to have moral thresholds they will never cross by voting for a party that endorses or advocates certain actions, as an example I will never under any circumstances vote for a political party advocating for the denaturalization and deportation of an ethnic minority even if the other side is outright calling for their extermination. values matter, they aren't something that can just be put aside for political expediency

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Tsitsikovas posted:

Special ops and surgical bombing campaigns that last for weeks using a combination of american and proxy foeces isnt war god damnit.

Bad typo. Please treat our special boys with the respect they deserve.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Proxy poopies

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
The typo stays. Just like all our military outfits and bases. The stains never leave.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

And it feels like shaming because it is! We are shaming you! People who don't vote should be publicly shamed and driven out of your friend group.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tsitsikovas posted:

Special ops and surgical bombing campaigns that last for weeks* using a combination of american and proxy foeces isnt war god damnit.

*sometimes, years

this guy gets it. that's just police actions! perfectly civil.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

insane clown pussy posted:

don't think its controversial to say that lesser-evilism is a pretty uninspiring and demoralizing message to voters, especially to the younger demographic

also don't think that it is wrong for people to have moral thresholds they will never cross by voting for a party that endorses or advocates certain actions, as an example I will never under any circumstances vote for a political party advocating for the denaturalization and deportation of an ethnic minority even if the other side is outright calling for their extermination. values matter, they aren't something that can just be put aside for political expediency

Please provide original arguments if you are not addressing anyone in particular or giving sources. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Friends are people who shame you for opposing genocide

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/USAmbUN/status/1718065503397196216

lol

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

https://x.com/RepRoKhanna/status/1718024249984586088?s=20

lol this passive voice poo poo is supposed to be the 'far left'. I feel like I might've given this gently caress some money years ago. Let the democratic party be destroyed and see what grows in the ashes. Nothing about it is worth saving.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

d&d mods hanging out tossing back cold ones in their nests waiting for cspammers to come running out the turkey chute

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/sfchronicle/status/1718095014184517814?s=20

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
really scary an actual adult unironically thought this was an actual thing that could happen

in real time

https://twitter.com/foolyoldaccount/status/1718052335379726803?t=OxDbILNPk5xI3Bif87i4vg&s=19

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gently caress the Democrats.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Don’t vote for them you loving morons.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Death to the Democrats.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

really scary an actual adult unironically thought this was an actual thing that could happen

in real time

https://twitter.com/foolyoldaccount/status/1718052335379726803?t=OxDbILNPk5xI3Bif87i4vg&s=19

WELL????

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

insane clown pussy posted:

There's also the fact that lesser-evilism simply doesn't hold up if you want to go full "absolute pragmatism." If someone is truly claiming to view things this way, they need to also consider the long-run impact. After all, their whole argument is about choosing the "lesser evil outcome."

In the end, it's impossible to predict the future, especially 5-10 years out. Electing a Democratic President increases the likelihood of state governments electing Republicans to their legislatures, etc. This means that whatever marginal difference seems to exist between the two major political parties is essentially erased by this uncertainty.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
And it feels like shaming because it is! We are shaming you! People who don't vote should be publicly shamed and driven out of your friend group.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I would describe my brain as terminally big picture. It hurts me sometimes.

I hope enough strangers I’ll never meet understand that the alternative to Biden is Trump. That the alternative to a necessarily cautious equivocator is the American Evangelical Netanyahu.

Pain is what the fascists want, especially in this country. They want the thrashing anguish of everyone who isn’t a fascist to knock down their own doors from the inside and let the monster in.

May they never get what they want, or at least not get enough of it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

History's 3 villains: The Corsican, The Austrian, The Non-Voter

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

it's YOUR fault for not politicking hard enough!1!1!1

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Your considerations for material reality is harshing my vibes. Pls vote for the cautious equivocators or else ill freak out :(

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I would describe my brain as terminally big picture. It hurts me sometimes.

I hope enough strangers I’ll never meet understand that the alternative to Biden is Trump. That the alternative to a necessarily cautious equivocator is the American Evangelical Netanyahu.

Pain is what the fascists want, especially in this country. They want the thrashing anguish of everyone who isn’t a fascist to knock down their own doors from the inside and let the monster in.

May they never get what they want, or at least not get enough of it.

if you cannot see that virtually conceivable reason one would have for voting for biden was negated by just the last two and a half years alone, i just don't know what to tell you.

Biden is WokeTrump

That is who he is, was, and always will be.

There is no "lesser evil" alternative at this point. I'm sorry

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Oct 28, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mkazin/status/1717892259616600362

lol that a single tweet manages to capture labor aristocracy and social chauvinism at the same time

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol that a single tweet manages to capture labor aristocracy and social chauvinism at the same time

Stab them in the back and make it illegal to strike like joe?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The fact is that Democrats accomplished a hell of a lot given that they had the narrowest of margins and 2 traitor sell outs in the Senate. Was it enough, no but you gotta start somewhere. Also as someone who's been following politics for the past 43 years the idea that there hasn't been a massive shift in the Overton window makes me wonder when the last time you walked outside and talked to actual person was?

Even regarding Israel and Palestinian the simple fact that Biden has made multiple speeches urging restraint on the part of Israel and reporting indicates that he is still applying pressure to encourage restraint is a loving sea change in the American posture towards Israel.

Having lived through a few of these major policy shifts I've learned to watch for precursors. I remember the frustration of America's actual full throated support for Israel in the aughts where the only voices critical of Israel were Pacifica stations and Democracy Now.

Yeah MSNBC canceled Mehdi Hassan but they got enough outrage and push back that they put him back on the air.

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/msnbcs-mehdi-hasan-is-back-on-air-and-as-anti-israel-as-ever/

That's the effect of political activism. I promise you that it's new Democrats like Ilhan Omar and Rashida Talib talking to Biden and giving him a different perspective. Also Omar and Talib's supporters don't vote for them in spite of their views on Palestine, but largely because of them.

That's electoralism at work.

It's not fast, but it works, but it only works if people engage.

Finally if voting didn't matter why do the Fash spend so much time, money and effort to discourage and stop people from doing it?

Ultimately it comes down to this, if voting was so ineffective why do Fash spend so much time, money and effort trying to stop people from doing it?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

if you cannot see that virtually conceivable reason one would have for voting for biden was negated by just the last two and a half years alone, i just don't know what to tell you.

Biden is WokeTrump

That is who he is, was, and always will be.

There is no "lesser evil" alternative at this point. I'm sorry

FYI that was a quote I pulled off Twitter. I don’t do this very often, so I wanted to make that clear.

But yeah, let me tell you, the guy who originally wrote that? He really let me down.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Oct 28, 2023

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
The last three democrat presidents oversaw deregulation of multiple industries while transferring massive amts of wealth to the already wealthy. They did little to expand or enshrine civil rights, many times letting old ones expire as they refused to engage at all as an opposition party, allowing their nominal opponents to enshrine their lovely values instead. Other times they gleefully went along with their opponents. In between all that they demonstrated a consistent habit of breaking promises the first moment they could, regardless of issue. This is routinely reflected in people's actual lived experiences.

This analysis can be applied to individual states, where democratic machines have demonstrated a penchant for dishonesty, corruption, weak action or total inaction.

Nevertheless!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

lol the trump and biden years just perfectly contrast how stupid and pointless all this is. Biden didn't even undo any of the Worst Presidency Ever decisions (kids in cages, tariffs, tax changes, border wall, etc). He didn't even get rid of the head of the loving post office. Remember when liberals were buying stamps and losing their poo poo over that? Then Biden encourages two wars to start. Great job democrats. We should vote blue forever and ever amen. Imagine if Trump was reelected they might overturn roe v wade.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Anyone who supports Biden after this is a depraved worm. Their opinions mean nothing to me anymore.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

here’s the deal

republicans will actually put democrats in jail which they deserve for different reasons than the republicans come up with

but democrats won’t do anything about anything so they are worse.

Also if Trump won reelection liberals would have given a bigger poo poo about literally anything because orange man bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chair lunch dinner
Apr 30, 2009

lol just lol at the thought of voting for the democrat party