Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cygni posted:

Only works for large roads I think, not mediums. boo.

It works on four lanes too. But it is subtracting lanes from the cars, so a four lane median road with trams is a two car lane, two tram lane road. If you want to preserve four traffic lanes you need to use a six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

At some point a bigger home is just more empty space you have to clean. Don't need it.

Wish you had told me that before I bought a house irl :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Berenice

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How do you delete a sewer pipe? As in, one you laid, outside of roads.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I think it's pretty cool that you can build a seven lane one way road, that's some real 'just one more lane, bro!' energy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How do you delete a sewer pipe? As in, one you laid, outside of roads.

Open your bulldozer then look at the bottom left of your screen, there's an option to switch to underground mode.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Grand Fromage posted:

It works on four lanes too. But it is subtracting lanes from the cars, so a four lane median road with trams is a two car lane, two tram lane road. If you want to preserve four traffic lanes you need to use a six.

my mistake! the center running island stations are so long that it appeared like it was adding the tram tracks to a regular travel lane per usual, but once it got further out, it did indeed turn into dedicated center running tram lanes. neat!

also i enjoy watching my high speed intercity trains getting stuck behind slow freight trains for miles and miles, just like american rail! perfect!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have moved my industry twice now, the polluting buggers. The fact that every inch of free space must be sacrificed to the low density housing gods doesn't help. I can zone all the medium and high density I want, they stay half empty and crumble, while no amount of low density stays unbuilt for long as far off and unpractical as it may be. Hey want a house where the coal plant used to be 2 days ago, in a crime ridden place next to the landfill? Sure, as long as it's low density who cares!

Got some traffic problems, solved by throwing more lanes and more roundabouts around. Will have a reckoning soon I believe, gotta get around to making an internal highway system...

e: also after the patch I run 4k at an acceptable frame rate (around 45 but without stutters) by turning down lod. Not ideal with a 4080, but when they get rid of teeth we will be golden I think

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 27, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MikeC posted:

If you feel like cheesing it, don't build any garbage capacity at all. Garbage trucks will come from outside of town and collect it for you at no charge. I think they forgot the service fees for garbage.

can't wait for the return of the black hole for garbage mod

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

TorakFade posted:

but when they get rid of teeth we will be golden I think

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cities Skylines 2: when they get rid of teeth we will be golden I think

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Another weird quirk is that probably half the traffic in my city is motorcycles, it's like loving Sturgis out here.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Ms Adequate posted:

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to zones not building even when you have demand is that a location can be so unsuitable that even max demand basically won't ever overcome it. Select the zoning in question and look at the color of the road you've zoned/are about to zone alongside, because if it's red then the location is dogshit and might never grow something.

Good to know. Was about to ask why my high density housing was never being built. Didn't think it was in the worst spot, just next to some offices and low density commercial since that's all I have so far.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It really feels likely this game's going to be broken open by modders in a good way whenever they release the tools for it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ms Adequate posted:

Open your bulldozer then look at the bottom left of your screen, there's an option to switch to underground mode.
Oh you mean that thing in the great big popup? lol. Thanks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

explosivo posted:

It really feels likely this game's going to be broken open by modders in a good way whenever they release the tools for it.

i hope that someone can mod in a theme editor, the ones CO made are dire

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni posted:

also i enjoy watching my high speed intercity trains getting stuck behind slow freight trains for miles and miles, just like american rail! perfect!

another fun Americanism, drivers seem to willfully drive in bus only lanes for fairly significant distances, even if you ban turns on either side of them... they just do it anyway.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So the game is unplayable?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Playing just fine right now. :captainpop:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Asproigerosis posted:

So the game is unplayable?

With the post launch patch, it is playable for me. Performance still isn't great, and the content and polish is more akin to a $30 early access city builder than a $50 release with big hype, but i'm already up to 23hrs played so!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Cities Skylines 2: when they get rid of teeth we will be golden I think

please, mods, please

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Between following trucks and citizens to see how they behave, carefully pruning my streets to fixing traffic problems, and fine-tuning transit stops, I don't feel like playing anything else despite all the bugs/incomplete features. Not the best launch but acceptable. This is without the performance patch since I am on PC Gamepass. So far from unplayable.

What is everyone's unemployment rate at? Mine sits stubbornly at 9-10% but people still keep moving into the point where there is a constant stream of them leaving en masse. When I click on their car as the emigrate out, it shows them homeless :(. Yet when I zone more industrial and office, past this point they are slow on the up take and complain about not enough workers.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Just adding one more data point:

CPU: i7-8900K
GPU: RTX 3080
32 GB RAM

The game is very much playable for me on Gamepass (meaning pre-performance patch). FPS has been in the 40ish mark up to a city of approx. 20k people. The key culprit was turning off Depth of Field completely. I also did most of the other tweaks mentioned like turning off volumetrics and whatever else was recommended.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Why is this wealthy educated senior complaining about having to commute out of town for education?

This game does need more time in the oven but I'm having fun. I like what they did with the road controls and a bunch of little stuff.

That said not a fan of how to set up bus stops. I was wondering why no one was riding the bus, when I had only way points.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Had a silly visual bug occur when I relocated an automatic parking building a little further from an intersection...

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was kind of negative on the level of minor details at first, thinking we don’t need that level of stuff in the game as it’s more macro scale. And hell, maybe we don’t need teeth.

But I did notice that I had citizens jaywalking to an area they’d like to get to and they intelligently stopped in front of lanes where a car was coming, effectively playing frogger. That’s pretty neat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they should get rid of the buildings so they can render more teeth

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What the gently caress. There aren't any el stations so el rail is pointless, and there also for some reason aren't at-grade crossings for metro tracks which makes the ground level stations pretty useless too. Regular rail can do at-grade crossings so ?????? why is this not an option?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 28, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tunzie posted:

Had a silly visual bug occur when I relocated an automatic parking building a little further from an intersection...

On the bright side, at least that proves the parking garage actually keeps track of each vehicle it takes in.

Jyrraeth posted:

Why is this wealthy educated senior complaining about having to commute out of town for education?

Is he actually retired?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

What the gently caress. There aren't any el stations so el rail is pointless, and there also for some reason aren't at-grade crossings for metro tracks which makes the ground level stations pretty useless too. Regular rail can do at-grade crossings so ?????? why is this not an option?

Yeah. I like surface metro, and elevated commuter rail.

There’s also no small commuter rail station for rural towns.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

MikeC posted:

On the bright side, at least that proves the parking garage actually keeps track of each vehicle it takes in.

Is he actually retired?

He was employed, but I didn't bookmark him (whiner!!!!) So I have no idea how to track him down again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I am a simpleton who enjoys watching the choo choo trains go around so I also prefer surface/elevated to building underground.

I knew I had to wait for asset makers to create non-trash stations but not having at grade for metro tracks is bizarre and unexpected.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
I don't think I understand how mail works. I have 185k mail coming in but only 82k processing. When I added more post offices and sorting facilities, the processing number never went up. This is with mailboxes posted everywhere around my city.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Melo posted:

I don't think I understand how mail works. I have 185k mail coming in but only 82k processing. When I added more post offices and sorting facilities, the processing number never went up. This is with mailboxes posted everywhere around my city.

One of the CO developers said there's some sort of bug affecting the movement of goods which seems to be making industry, mail, and garbage not work correctly.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jyrraeth posted:

He was employed, but I didn't bookmark him (whiner!!!!) So I have no idea how to track him down again.

If you don't have sufficient Tier 4 or 5 education (Universities, Technical colleges, etc), Cims who want to upgrade their education level because there are job openings for "Well Educated" or "Highly Educated" will get disgruntled if there isn't something in the city for them. Typically the need for higher tier education appears to be triggered by higher tier Industry or Office zones which almost always have at least a few "well educated" slots open. Also oil refining resource extraction industry also will have need for higher education.

edit: Though it is wierd it is a senior. Maybe seniors just have a lower desire to upgrade their education vs teens and adults but it isn't zero? Many buildings also boost the "desire" for cims to get better education.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

You can't cut back on teeth! You will regret this!

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I've always liked having trains and the like move about, but even in CS1 the train stations are just too drat big for my liking to work with so inevitably I end up with Metros because the stations are at a size I can do something that doesn't look like a stupid spaghetti mess with, or destroy half the city trying to fit in.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

MikeC posted:

If you don't have sufficient Tier 4 or 5 education (Universities, Technical colleges, etc), Cims who want to upgrade their education level because there are job openings for "Well Educated" or "Highly Educated" will get disgruntled if there isn't something in the city for them. Typically the need for higher tier education appears to be triggered by higher tier Industry or Office zones which almost always have at least a few "well educated" slots open. Also oil refining resource extraction industry also will have need for higher education.

edit: Though it is wierd it is a senior. Maybe seniors just have a lower desire to upgrade their education vs teens and adults but it isn't zero? Many buildings also boost the "desire" for cims to get better education.

Ohhhhh it's the upgraders. I have def run into mature students that have adult children in my own university experience I just thought they wouldn't be so whiney about not having it in this game. Bub, you live in a town of 9000, we don't got it all. I just have the 1st tier of post secondary.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Just adding one more data point:

CPU: i7-8900K
GPU: RTX 3080
32 GB RAM

The game is very much playable for me on Gamepass (meaning pre-performance patch). FPS has been in the 40ish mark up to a city of approx. 20k people. The key culprit was turning off Depth of Field completely. I also did most of the other tweaks mentioned like turning off volumetrics and whatever else was recommended.

5800X and 2070 Super; it's basically unplayable for me even at potato settings for some reason. GPU fans sounded like a jet engine and in play, I kept randomly having things like street arrows turn into blurry blobs, then back into relatively crisp shapes... or the textures on some models just...disappear, then reappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Squido posted:

poor chap

Cities Saladfingers 2