Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Beyond Sunset has cooler crimes in it.

https://twitter.com/sunset_city_rpg/status/1717282859549909360

The 7th Guest posted:

Arthurian Legends - $8.03
This is unexpected because the developer apparently just completely fell off the internet shortly after the game's launch, to the point where people were a little concerned for their well-being. Now they've just bounced back into existence with a patch and a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh poo poo it got patched? Wonder if it works any better on Deck now, last time I tried it ran like crap

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

Beyond Sunset has cooler crimes in it.

https://twitter.com/sunset_city_rpg/status/1717282859549909360

This is unexpected because the developer apparently just completely fell off the internet shortly after the game's launch, to the point where people were a little concerned for their well-being. Now they've just bounced back into existence with a patch and a sale.

That's a pyramid scam right before being melted by a boss is basically what the demo felt like so good to see they're sticking with the fundamentals

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arivia posted:

https://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html Made by someone in this thread whose name I forget, sorry

JLaw posted:

Yah that's me. FWIW I haven't updated that in a while (and may not, going forward) but it will still work!

If you do want to try it out, I would recommend using the engines menu to switch to Ironwail, and then manually downloading the most recent Ironwail release and overwriting the older Ironwail files that came with that Quakestarter package.

Once you're used to the way Quake does things you can go crazy downloading and installing stuff yourself from Quaddicted and Slipgate Sightseer, and/or use Ironwail's built-in integration with the community addons server.

But yeah Ironwail is the way to go for singleplayer, with vkQuake a close second (really only losing out because it is no longer updated/supported). Although for some things the new Quake Enhanced release can also be a fun choice.

One of the reasons I may stop updating Quakestarter is just because Ironwail and Quake Enhanced have smoothed over a lot of the rough edges for getting going with Quake stuff.

Thanks. I was able to get it set up easily, and play one of the levels I downloaded.

Ironwail seems pretty solid, but there's something off about the aiming. I dunno if it's possible to enable a reticle, but I suppose I can always switch between it and Quake Enhanced depending on what I'm playing.

-

Switching gears from Quake to Doom, I was thinking about buying Doom and Doom II from GOG since A.) the .WAD files I've been using all these years were, uh... not sourced properly... but because B.) the release of Doom II + Final Doom on GOG also includes the Master Levels for Doom II.

However, I wanted to ask about what the opinion was on the Master Levels. I don't think I've seen it brought up that often.

I guess I'll also ask if it's worth it to grab Doom 3 BFG Edition for No Rest for the Living (NERVE.WAD). It's only like $4 right now as part of the Halloween sale.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you have legitimately bought Doom1/2 at any point in your life, those .wads are yours to do with as you please. The perfect digital replicas you downloaded off of limewire ages ago are not wrong in any way, the content creators and IP owners have gotten their contractually fair share and you are morally in the clear to source your temporarily misplaced (but still rightfully owned) content files from any place you fancy.

If you need to scrap up some missing content like Master Level files, nothing's wrong with the Steam ones afaik.

Oh I take that back which files had the red cross on the medkits replaced? lol whoops.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Serephina posted:

Oh I take that back which files had the red cross on the medkits replaced? lol whoops.

i think that's only in the wads included with doom 3 bfg edition

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's also in the unity ports on steam/consoles from a couple years ago.

The master levels are bad. But why not play them

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

Switching gears from Quake to Doom, I was thinking about buying Doom and Doom II from GOG since A.) the .WAD files I've been using all these years were, uh... not sourced properly... but because B.) the release of Doom II + Final Doom on GOG also includes the Master Levels for Doom II.
DOOM II on Steam also contains the original (well, v1.9) IWAD, plus Final DOOM and the Master Levels. By default it launches into the Unity port but the original WADs and EXEs are, there.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

So has anyone actually played Fortune's Run yet?

I tried but the opening tutorial level felt like it lasted until the heat death of the universe and I just couldn't jive with the overall presentation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I guess I'll also ask if it's worth it to grab Doom 3 BFG Edition for No Rest for the Living (NERVE.WAD). It's only like $4 right now as part of the Halloween sale.

No Rest For The Living is available as a downloadable add on in the Unity ports (the versions of Doom and Doom 2 you’re talking about buying, and you’ll have a perfectly fine time playing it in them), so you don’t need to buy Doom 3 for it. It’s worth playing, a good afternoon of Dooming with some fun design.

However, if you’ve never actually played Doom 3, I would recommend it. It’s a good fps in its own right.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 27, 2023

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Max Wilco posted:

I dunno if it's possible to enable a reticle

"crosshair 1" in console FYI.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Arthurian Legends dev back
Is it any good? It looks rather... Capstone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If FPS games affected us as kids, we'd all be developing inter-dimensional travel on Phobos and Deimos, throwing gadgets in one end and watching them come out the other.

"Dad, how long was the wait for Duke Nukem Forever?"

Me, turning to dust: "Longer than you think, son... longer than you think!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I decided it was time to play something because it's October, so I blew through Blood: Post Mortem last week. Outside the final boss it was pretty great and actually made me use the different weapons instead of maining the shotgun and dynamite like I got away with in the base game. I enjoyed the generally higher enemy count too so I had more of an excuse to use the spraycans and napalm.

Then I switched to Nightmare Reaper and it's a harsh lesson in how much the aesthetics of a game make it work. Blood, even in its weaker moments, is a collection of recognizable areas you can sort of imagine actually going to. If I was going to make visual walkthroughs for a Call of Cthulu game, I could see myself using Blood assets. Nightmare Reaper, while the guns feel good and the movement feels less weird than Build movement, is ugly in both actual spritework and in level design. Actual handmade levels would help the second problem, but it would still be using the extremely programmer art sprites. I hope whenever the dev moves on to a second game they hire an artist.

Lesson learned: give some time between Blood and whatever shooter you're playing next.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Playing Forgive Me Father and agreeing with the many "it's meh" reviews. For every interesting bit of level design there a multiple linear arrays of plan rectangular combat arenas...except you are not actually locked in most of the tine so you can just easily run through them and avoid most any enemies. Fighting enemies in these simple environments isn't fun so there isn't really any reason not to just run past most enemies.

I like the art style, but the shooting can feel off somehow. It definitely needs better game feel. I upgraded the shotgun and it feels worse. The bouncing bullets it shoots needs better animations and sound effects. The original starting shotgun feels way more punchy. Headshots feel good, everything else feels a bit too spongy. The abilities could also be better. They just seem kind of lame. Maybe I need to upgrade them more (playing as priest).

All-in-all feels like there is too much filler. I think i would honestly prefer a super cut down version what was just two hours max of only the good stuff. I thought it would be a nice spooky season game, but I might just drop it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

JLaw posted:

"crosshair 1" in console FYI.

Thanks. With the crosshair, aiming doesn't feel as wonky.

Can you play online with Ironwail? I've never played Quake multiplayer. I thought to try when the enhanced edition first dropped, but you need a Bethesda account to do so. I don't know if there's another way.

Arivia posted:

No Rest For The Living is available as a downloadable add on in the Unity ports (the versions of Doom and Doom 2 you’re talking about buying, and you’ll have a perfectly fine time playing it in them), so you don’t need to buy Doom 3 for it. It’s worth playing, a good afternoon of Dooming with some fun design.

However, if you’ve never actually played Doom 3, I would recommend it. It’s a good fps in its own right.

I did play Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, but it's been a long time (probably over ten years).

I dunno, Doom 3 has always been kind of weird to me. It's styled to be more of a horror game, but you play it like you would a typical shooter. The guns I remember being kind of all over the place (Civvie's video points out how bad the shotgun was, but that the plasma rifle is pretty solid). The thing I mainly remember from playing it is that I learned the one trick that it does over-and-over, which is whenever you find a cache or collection of ammo/health somewhere, it almost always spawns in an Imp, and once you figure that out, you can start trying to predict where they might spawn at.

Resurrection of Evil I remember liking a bit better, but I don't really remember much of it.

I know the BFG Edition incorporated the duct-tape flashlight mod, but I've heard that it sort of unbalances the gameplay (in that it was designed around you switching between the two, and having the flashlight available all the time makes it a bit easy). I've seen some negative things about BFG Edition, in regards to the visuals (don't remember what specifically) and the Lost Mission expansion (which I think recycled some level segments from the main game).

ExcessBLarg! posted:

DOOM II on Steam also contains the original (well, v1.9) IWAD, plus Final DOOM and the Master Levels. By default it launches into the Unity port but the original WADs and EXEs are, there.

I think I might go with Steam, since there's a bundle deal with DOOM Eternal, so I can get everything for a little under $30 (I've already got Doom 2016 and Doom 64).

Thinking about grabbing Quake II as well, though I'm not sure. I've never been all that interested in Quake II (I don't know what the consensus is on it), but I heard the remaster/enhanced edition was really solid, and the fact that it comes with additional content (the two mission packs, yet another MachineGames campaign, and Quake II 64) piqued my curiosity.

-

One other thing: I thought about downloading Zandronum again, because I wanted to try playing Doom multiplayer co-op again. However, I wanted to know if there were any mods for it worth checking out (dunno if you just need to browse for a game featuring it, since I remember it would just download directly). I also wanted to know if there anything I need to configure with Zandronum to make sure everything's secure. I think what happened last time I used it, it suddenly disappeared from my desktop because I think my anti-virus read it as a threat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Dad, how long was the wait for Duke Nukem Forever?"

Me, turning to dust: "Longer than you think, son... longer than you think!

It's Eternity in there...

seriously though if there's anyone in this thread who hasn't watched Emesis Blue yet go do so immediately

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Gloomwood has put out their Halloween update, adding a Flashbang, new areas to the Market District, improved Huntsmen AI, subtitles, and period-appropriate jack-o-lantern turnips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8zEt5QKcA

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bbcisdabomb posted:

but it would still be using the extremely programmer art sprites. I hope whenever the dev moves on to a second game they hire an artist.

The sprites it has now are the improved, non-developer art ones. Ironically, the older ones might've been better just because they were much higher contrast, though they were quite uggo otherwise.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Playing Nightmare Reaper as a pixel artist was very frustrating

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nightmare Reaper looks like one of SE’s 2.5D RPGs

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1718028772040167564
Mom, he is doing it again. Leave Doom Alone!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Divine Frequency demo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2548880/Divine_Frequency/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:psyduck:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The sprites it has now are the improved, non-developer art ones. Ironically, the older ones might've been better just because they were much higher contrast, though they were quite uggo otherwise.

The problem I had that made me put down the game after a few levels is that it’s very much built around secret hunting, but the art assets/randomized level design meant it was absolutely terrible at hinting at secrets, at least in the first biome. I kept finding keys for chests I couldn’t find and poo poo like that. Absolutely miserable.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arivia posted:

The problem I had that made me put down the game after a few levels is that it’s very much built around secret hunting, but the art assets/randomized level design meant it was absolutely terrible at hinting at secrets, at least in the first biome. I kept finding keys for chests I couldn’t find and poo poo like that. Absolutely miserable.

:raise: Was this some Early Access version? Because that doesn't sound anything like what I played. The level generation IS still pretty bad though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

We have Blood access back and I tried updating some stuff but found one specific bug fix I needed to backport relied too much on Kex4 render context and multithreading code to function. So right now I'm doing an update of Blood to Kex4 instead during my spare time, it'll take a bit.

Otherwise I have the DOS version packaged and working that I might just push out at random (I.e when I feel I have a week to field any bug reports from any configuration weirdness.)

Well I am literally a senior programmer for Nightdive.

Sorry to drag up an old post, but does this mean the CRT filter might work with Blood in future? It did wonders for Powerslave EX, that game looked exactly how I remember playing it on PS1 via a late 80's trinitron.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

Playing Forgive Me Father and agreeing with the many "it's meh" reviews. For every interesting bit of level design there a multiple linear arrays of plan rectangular combat arenas...except you are not actually locked in most of the tine so you can just easily run through them and avoid most any enemies. Fighting enemies in these simple environments isn't fun so there isn't really any reason not to just run past most enemies.

I like the art style, but the shooting can feel off somehow. It definitely needs better game feel. I upgraded the shotgun and it feels worse. The bouncing bullets it shoots needs better animations and sound effects. The original starting shotgun feels way more punchy. Headshots feel good, everything else feels a bit too spongy. The abilities could also be better. They just seem kind of lame. Maybe I need to upgrade them more (playing as priest).

All-in-all feels like there is too much filler. I think i would honestly prefer a super cut down version what was just two hours max of only the good stuff. I thought it would be a nice spooky season game, but I might just drop it.

Playing this right now as well, and it feels like the level design especially needs more consistency. More specifically, it could use some inspiration from BUILD engine levels and the way they offered miniature versions of 'real places'. It tries to do that in the first levels, but from the second act onwards the levels become linear slogs rather than playgrounds.

I'm now currently playing the fourth last act, and I can't really tell you anything about what distinguished any of the levels from the last two acts.

If there ever was a game that should have taken more inspiration from blood, this is it. Something like a train level would help, or a submarine as a bridge between the third and fourth act. Right now, it feels as if the game is going for a similar feeling of estrangement as Dusk did in its latter half - but Dusk build up its weirdness very carefully and made sure that the underlying design principles remained the same. FMF, meanwhile, switches from Doom labyrinths to Serious Sam arenas seemingly at random. That becomes an issue when you realize there is no automap for the former, leading to some really archaic feeling mazes.

And jesus, if your game is going to have this many fishmen, at least try to have functioning water in your game that doesn't look like the player accidentally clipped out of bounds. Especially if you are going to have that bossfight be a part of your game.

Still, great artwork and I dig the vibe, but would recommend only if you don't mind the occasional jank.

By the way, some things I wish I knew going in:
-Make sure you fully upgrade the trait that gives you more XP first. The game seems to be balanced around this, so they should be your top priority.
-USE YOUR RESET POINTS! I got myself trapped with some pretty bad feeling weapons, like that shotgun you mentioned, and it is really useful to switch them out. I think the idea is that you build a nice arsenal during the first half of the game, not needing the reset, and by then you should have enough points that every weapon can be upgraded. This is the moment where things change: reset your skills and find a setup that you like, as if you're rolling a character in a rpg.
-If you reset your skillpoints and die before the next checkpoint, it loads your last save and you get your old setup back. This means you are free to try out different combinations for free: purchase is only permanent if you save, so feel free to experiment.
-Turn on a light bit of auto aim. Personal preference and might be my monitor, but I have a really hard time making out the details on these characters when they move around fast. That means I have no idea where their heads are supposed to be beyond "somewhere near the top". Auto aim pulls those upwards shots towards the head, making later levels a LOT less frustrating. Also helps with sometimes janky hit boxes.

Conclusion: fun game, but buy it on sale

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Convex posted:

Sorry to drag up an old post, but does this mean the CRT filter might work with Blood in future? It did wonders for Powerslave EX, that game looked exactly how I remember playing it on PS1 via a late 80's trinitron.

It wouldn't be impossible, but Blood was made for a VGA monitor, our shader is only meant to mimic TV CRTs so it'd be a bit out of place.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah he's been working on these for a while. The real head trip ones were the fence/window textures he was doing early on where he made them way too thick so they looked like they were maybe 6 inches thick but actually taking up no room, it was a trip.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

It wouldn't be impossible, but Blood was made for a VGA monitor, our shader is only meant to mimic TV CRTs so it'd be a bit out of place.

:hmmyes:

I guess my old monitor blurred everything together a lot more than it probably should have

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

:raise: Was this some Early Access version? Because that doesn't sound anything like what I played. The level generation IS still pretty bad though.

No, I picked it up after it hit full release. I just couldn't find poo poo.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I enjoy the terminals in Supplice, but I think Mechadon- or whoever is doing the writing for this- needs an editor, because I do not think I've seen a single one of these in E2 that's less than ten pages long and they keep hitting the same beats over and over. I've just found one that's seventeen pages and buddy, that's just too much text for this mode.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i played the cultic interlude chapter and there is something erotic about how good the magnum revolver feels to use

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
playing through supplice ep 2, and it starts off with some stuff that isn't running around and shooting guns. But after that you quickly are given a good chunk of the arsenal, and I'm not hunting secrets for the most part. Emphasis early on the stupid "run around and explode" jamokes as far as enemies, along with the familiar Farters, Shotgun Farters, and Green Guys. The worst dudes so far are those wispy ghost things. Once I hear that noise it's "stop and look, wait for visual disturbance" Im terrible scared of them and they must be killed first if possible

At one point it didn't click that I was going out an airlock and that there was an o2 meter, I was just workin on killin dudes how I normally do and died very confused. But it should be clear at this point I'm not the most Aware Gamer. It's a decent challenge on hard, I've died my fair share

Brolander fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Never heard of this but my interest is piqued

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Johnny Joestar posted:

i played the cultic interlude chapter and there is something erotic about how good the magnum revolver feels to use

Having used it in the base game I think I can safely say it's a combination of the environments suiting it and the availability of magnum ammo in the Interlude. The LAR seems to be more usable overall in outdoor environments.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Prime Gaming (the amazon prime free gaming giveaways thing) has codes for Doom 3 on GOG for a couple more days.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Doom 3 will always be the forever debate where people can love it, hate it, or not feel strongly one way or the other and I agree with all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Never heard of this but my interest is piqued

I played about an hour so far and I'm still not sure what it is. It's as confusing as EYE Divine Cybermancy, but in labyrinthian SIlent Hill-esque environments, and then there's some cult and sci-fi stuff going on at the same time. Definitely has an atmosphere but I wonder how much of the game is gonna be wandering narrow hallways