Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

My review of Nightmare Inn:

Grassy Knowles posted:

It’s a quick play but a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Episode 4 was pretty good. Show is growing on me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

whenever Eve isnt on screen the rest of the characters should be asking "where's eve??"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

how we feeling about the new apartment

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Huge downgrade from the Seattle apartment.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

KoRMaK posted:

Instantly dated in a way his old apartment never was.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

There's something about the set design in the reboot. Everything looks a little cheap and just... not real. I mean, it looks like a set whereas Frasier's Seattle apartment could have fooled me into thinking it was a real location.

Anyway, I watched the first couple episodes with my mum (her first time) and it holds up reasonably well for a rewatch.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Still Fluxing posted:

Instantly dated in a way his old apartment never was.
yea im hoping magically it gets improved and never spoke about, because part of the charm of the old show was getting lost in looking around Frasier's apartment like you were in it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You get teases of quality writing ("now to where I'm in my element- the table of elements") but the non-Frasier characters all feel sort of made for modern audiences and that isn't a compliment. That feels a little harsh as I think we'll all agree the show is far exceeding expectations, but it still could have been better.

Freddie must be Weird Al's son or something is he?

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Episode 5 felt a lot like old Frasier. I'm enjoying Frasier's Harvard colleagues. Coming around to Freddy and David.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd say this episode was my least favorite so far. The thing that really gets me is how unnatural most of the acting feels, like its too obvious that its filmed live in front of a crowd, and the supporting cast does nothing to hide that fact. I dont know why they decided Frasier needed a full time sidekick, besides, we all knew no one could replace DHP. I just feel theres no depth to Alan or Olivia, the latter being too cartoonish in everything she does. Alan just isn't very interesting or funny at all. I suppose, in reflection of that thought, we had Bebe who was a full on caricature, but who was only featured now and then, not every episode.

I figured David would turn out to be gay. Might have been a little on the nose though. Would have been a nice nod to DHP and Dan Butler, and a peace offering for some of the moments from the original that have aged poorly. Then again, maybe not. I suppose Kelsey is a republican after all so he probably wasn't going to have any of that.

I also cant stop thinking Freddie looks like Weird Al.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

lil’ niles is terrible and whoever came up with lil’ niles should feel bad

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
He's still not great, and he just shows up with zero agency or agenda. But I chuckled at him getting down on one knee to ask someone out, and saying milady.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From the sound of it I'm absolutely sure they think they have the next Young Sheldon on their hands.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's not dire, but it's utterly unremarkable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They are cowards if they never address Freddy’s goth years.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Episode 6 continues to feel like old Frasier. This show is cool and it should get another season.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Octy posted:

There's something about the set design in the reboot. Everything looks a little cheap and just... not real. I mean, it looks like a set whereas Frasier's Seattle apartment could have fooled me into thinking it was a real location.

Anyway, I watched the first couple episodes with my mum (her first time) and it holds up reasonably well for a rewatch.

Frasier's hair in season 1 is one of the best things ever allowed on TV

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s likeable. I’m an ageing millennial watching with my kids (11 and 15) and we all like it. It doesn’t sparkle like the original but it’s nice, and quite funny, and easy to watch, and that’s really appealing.

I was surprised that the laugh track didn’t make it bad.

E:

Cessna posted:

It's not dire, but it's utterly unremarkable.

I think your standards are different to mine. I’ve seen plenty of great TV in the last decade but nothing that’s just relentlessly good natured and also funny. That seems worthwhile.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 9, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Frasier's hair in season 1 is one of the best things ever allowed on TV

One thing that bothered me about the flashback episode to his first show in season 3 or 4. He had his current shorter hairstyle. They should have brought out a wig of his original hair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marenghi posted:

One thing that bothered me about the flashback episode to his first show in season 3 or 4. He had his current shorter hairstyle. They should have brought out a wig of his original hair.

They did do that for a flashback episode in the final season.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Marenghi posted:

Same, it's like they were admitting that the world wasn't ready for that hair

Timby posted:

They did do that for a flashback episode in the final season.

Not sure what the consensus is on Crock Tales but I like it and think it's really well done

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Imagine a night in Vegas with Kelsey Grammar. Goddamn that'd be unbelievable.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Caesar Saladin posted:

Either you would tire of his drunkenness within the first hour or you would be like a match to a flame and just become a supercritical problem

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

As soon as I start winding down, Kelsey pulls out the biggest bag of cocaine for personal use that you've ever seen, and the night is just getting started.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Caesar Saladin posted:

Shut up! The first rule of Night in Vegas with Kelsey Club is you do not talk about Night in Vegas with Kelsey Club. Sheesh.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think your standards are different to mine. I’ve seen plenty of great TV in the last decade but nothing that’s just relentlessly good natured and also funny. That seems worthwhile.

I'll admit up front that I just don't watch network TV or sitcoms anymore, so I don't have a lot of alternatives to suggest.

But - maybe The Good Place? That might work.

And - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the new Frasier is BAD or anything like that. It's just that when I watch it, it feels off somehow, like I'm watching a rerun of a late 80's sitcom; somehow the laugh track and the characters feel like they pre-date 90's Frasier.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Caesar Saladin posted:

As soon as I start winding down, Kelsey pulls out the biggest bag of cocaine for personal use that you've ever seen, and the night is just getting started.

... I'm listening ...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Brawnfire posted:

... I'm listening ...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yea that's literally The Good Place

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

For some reason I see him doing the "she makes my heart go hidey hadey" motion while doing this. God that scene makes me cringe so hard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've been really impressed by Frasier's old college friend. Because he really naturally feels like he's been Frasier's friend forever and that they've had a decades long relationship even though as far as I know he was never mentioned before. He has a great rapport with him and it's really good when he successfully does psychology on Frasier or gets Frasier to see what he's doing wrong.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

codo27 posted:

I'd say this episode was my least favorite so far. The thing that really gets me is how unnatural most of the acting feels, like its too obvious that its filmed live in front of a crowd, and the supporting cast does nothing to hide that fact.

A lot of this is sound design FYI

When they're in the pub there's no pub noises. When they're in the meet n greet theres no background music or chatter.

Contrast to cafe nuvosa in old frasier that had constant chatter and all the dinner parties and dance stuff that had background music and chatter.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

alexandriao posted:

A lot of this is sound design FYI

When they're in the pub there's no pub noises. When they're in the meet n greet theres no background music or chatter.

Contrast to cafe nuvosa in old frasier that had constant chatter and all the dinner parties and dance stuff that had background music and chatter.

I haven’t listened that closely but I almost can’t believe they’re really not using any walla? Is that some kind of modern trend?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's almost certainly just "that costs money and nobody notices or cares."

We're in a real race to the bottom where anything that can be surgically removed from society, art, or culture will be so your boss's boss's boss's boss can see a number go up slightly faster.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Chillmatic posted:

I haven’t listened that closely but I almost can’t believe they’re really not using any walla? Is that some kind of modern trend?

your entire production will be reduced to a cellphone speaker for the majority of your audience

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh, pish posh!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Episode 6 definitely has some good moments. Frasier and Freddy can’t decide who is on a date with who, and you get some good character interaction. Plus, Frasier pushing that old lady across the floor.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Frasier and Freddy can’t decide who is on a date with who, and you get some good character interaction.

Gonna need more details on this one cause it sounds a little yikesy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grassy Knowles posted:

Gonna need more details on this one cause it sounds a little yikesy

Eve sets them both up on a blind date and a woman shows up, Frasier invites her in assuming she is his date. Played by June Diane Rafael. While Frasier starts cooking dinner for two in the kitchen, Freddie comes in from his room and assumes that she is his date. So they both try to figure out whose date she is without asking.