Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Fish posted:

Refs didn't call a penalty on this hit, but they called eight others in the second period alone. Overcorrection maybe? Or all the cringe players on my fail team actually are a bunch of goony barbarians

That's a hit that happens a dozen times a night. It's not the hit that caused that injury, it was the way he fell. That hit happens at plenty of levels. Timing could have been better but I don't think that's changing much.

Maybe we should just take checking out of the game and have everyone wear pillows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That Clutterbuck hit isn't that vicious but it was late and I think it being late probably contributed to Branstrom not properly bracing himself and landing awkwardly like he did.

Why is Cal Clutterbuck still in the league anyways

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ginette Reno posted:

HITZZZZZZ

Also, Lou

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

That Clutterbuck hit isn't that vicious but it was late and I think it being late probably contributed to Branstrom not properly bracing himself and landing awkwardly like he did.

because he's part of the best fourth line in hockey!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ginette Reno posted:

LouLam doesn’t know this isn’t a keeper league and he can have players outside of his times with the Islanders and Devils.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

rex rabidorum vires posted:

That makes people think of ska. Definitely not an improvement.

t:mad:t

It's definitely an improvement over kasperi kapinen

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The Rangers last two games, they went into the third period with a lead, then spent nearly the entirety of the third period pinned in their own zone and gave up zero goals. Normally I'd say "yeah they were turtling" but it looked like they wanted to keep the pressure on and couldn't. But zero GA. I can't tell if this means their defense is really good or if they've been lucky.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

The Rangers last two games, they went into the third period with a lead, then spent nearly the entirety of the third period pinned in their own zone and gave up zero goals. Normally I'd say "yeah they were turtling" but it looked like they wanted to keep the pressure on and couldn't. But zero GA. I can't tell if this means their defense is really good or if they've been lucky.

Oilers looked like they were playing out the motions and didn't wanna expend that much energy to come back from 3-0. They didn't get a ton. Flames just looked like they have zero talent. Also didn't get a ton. I think it's natural to kinda shell up and get caved in a little while limiting as much as you can. That's just score effects...it's a long season. I've been really happy with every game so far except for the Nashville game, really. But even in that one, that was kinda weird because of all the disallowed goals. It coulda been 3-1 in the first.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
more importantly:

https://twitter.com/heatdaddy69420/status/1717979978246271305?s=20

god drat I want him for the fourth line if hips are okay and he's cheap. I'm shocked that he only went a little bit racist with the costume despite being a hockey player and Scandinavian.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

t:mad:t

It's definitely an improvement over kasperi kapinen

The position being taken is not to be mistaken...for an attempted education or righteous accusation, but only a description, or just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration

:P

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Ginette Reno posted:

Clutterbuck-Cizikas-Martin is still a loving line in TYOOL 2023 because the cryptkeeper GMing the Islanders has never mentally left the 1980s. Don Cherry raved about this line when he still had a job back in like 2015

Also gently caress Cal Clutterbuck, there was zero reason for him to absolutely crush a lil guy he has 40lbs on. “Sick to my stomach but if I don’t absolutely paste an 180lb midget into the boards two seconds after the puck is off his stick I’ll lose my job!”

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 27, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

Clutterbuck-Cizikas-Martin is still a loving line in TYOOL 2023 because the cryptkeeper GMing the Islanders has never mentally left the 1980s. Don Cherry raved about this line when he still had a job back in like 2015

Also gently caress Cal Clutterbuck, there was zero reason for him to absolutely crush a lil guy he has 40lbs on. “Sick to my stomach but if I don’t absolutely paste an 180lb midget into the boards two seconds after the puck is off his stick I’ll lose my job!”

Its the leg sweep that gets me. The dude was going to get wrecked with that hit anyway, why add one more risky move at the end?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've been watching some Seattle games, in the hope that maybe Brian Dumoulin would bounce back a little, away from Sullivan's system which he had become horrifically ill suited for.

Nooooope. He's godawful. Every bit as bad as he was in Pittsburgh.

You were one of my favorite players, Brian. Please retire. :(

Also the Hurricanes look unexpectedly bad. Brent Burns in particular is a problem. He's never made his money in his own end, but so far this year his defense has veered into Justin Faulk territory, from weak to comical. He was paired with Orlov for a game or two and boy howdy was that a Benny Hill routine.

e: holy poo poo, Orlov is -11 through 8 games

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 28, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
yeah... I was not sorry to see Soucy go but Dumoulin is an absolute trainwreck. Extreme head scratcher of a signing. Not sure why Ryker Evans isn't playing instead.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

yeah... I was not sorry to see Soucy go but Dumoulin is an absolute trainwreck. Extreme head scratcher of a signing. Not sure why Ryker Evans isn't playing instead.

Soucy over Dumoulin every day. He's not a flashy d-man, but Dumoulin isn't any sort of d-man anymore.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jhet posted:

Soucy over Dumoulin every day. He's not a flashy d-man, but Dumoulin isn't any sort of d-man anymore.

Francis had me believing last year but it seems like we replaced Soucy, Geekie, and Sprong with strictly worse players and only saved maybe $2MM total. Cost of keeping Dunn I guess. But Dumoulin especially is a huge miss since he is making slightly MORE than Soucy is now.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Rangers looking good! their fourth line is getting a bit caved, but their top three lines look good, and I can’t even loving tell you how much of a difference it is having an actual defenseman like Gustafsson on the third pair compared to Nemeth/Hajek/Harpur/Mikkola even. Best game that Wheeler played last night, too. He has no points (should have had his first but it was disallowed) but that line has been great.

I haven't minded the fourth line's play much. With the Rangers top 9 they will be fine getting under 10 minutes a game with some bonus penalty kill time if needed.

I agree about the Trocheck line last night. Cuylle has showed a lot in really all areas (it's how he made the team after all), and he looks to be one of the faster guys on the whole team, which is great to see. One of the big issues of last years group was the lack of speed from the bottom 6 (really bottom 3 then since the kid line shouldn't count as bottom 6) and Drury seems to have fixed that over the summer.

At times, Wheeler has looked reaaaaaaly slow out there, but I've noticed his high hockey IQ seeming to kick in, and often he is already skating in a new direction just as the new play starts to develop, allowing him to keep up with the younger (faster) guys. He's not hurt them thus far, and maybe he's warming to the task? We'll see, although I'd like to see Vesey get some time with those two. Maybe in a back-to-back situation sometime Laviolette can healthy-scratch him in one game and do vesey and pitlick at 3RW/4RW respectively.

I don't want Patrick kane back at all, he looked older and slower than Wheeler last spring. Fortunately we have very little cap space so a reunion doesn't look too likely.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 28, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

Francis had me believing last year but it seems like we replaced Soucy, Geekie, and Sprong with strictly worse players and only saved maybe $2MM total. Cost of keeping Dunn I guess. But Dumoulin especially is a huge miss since he is making slightly MORE than Soucy is now.

I'm interested to see if Sprong repeats close to his efforts last year. So far he has. Kinda neat if he finally found his game after bouncing around a bunch. Geekie, thus far, is nearly PPG. It seems fairly insane to me Seattle didn't retain Sprong...6th best scorer on the team with less than 12 minutes a night. Banking on Eeli to repeat seems certifiable.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Cason Soucy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm interested to see if Sprong repeats close to his efforts last year. So far he has. Kinda neat if he finally found his game after bouncing around a bunch. Geekie, thus far, is nearly PPG. It seems fairly insane to me Seattle didn't retain Sprong...6th best scorer on the team with less than 12 minutes a night. Banking on Eeli to repeat seems certifiable.

We're talking about the guy that hired Dave Hakstol to be the franchise's first coach. So of course he's going to expect them to score on 20% of their shots and not need any of the mid scorers. Seattle have managed to take all the cap space they had and squander it like any good long standing mediocre team.

E: Matty B needs a contract next year too. Should go well.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hey this Dylan Strome fella is pretty good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Can the devils out score their problems all year?? Let’s find out

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

i think the defense will probably improve over time but this goaltending is going to be a problem

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

hey this Dylan Strome fella is pretty good

Yeah he's easily their best forward and he's able to bring the best out of Ovechkin.

Backstrom, on the other hand, looks absolutely finished. He can barely move and has no strength on the puck any more.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah he's easily their best forward and he's able to bring the best out of Ovechkin.

Backstrom, on the other hand, looks absolutely finished. He can barely move and has no strength on the puck any more.

Yup, I’m ready to healthy scratch him to retirement.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Levitate posted:

I've yet to see evidence to the contrary.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Yup, I’m ready to healthy scratch him to retirement.

Yeah and they need to prioritize getting McMichael significant minutes at center. They have basically no other centers in the pipeline besides McMichael and they can't have Backstrom's shell blocking his NHL development.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

secret volcano lair posted:

i think the defense will probably improve over time but this goaltending is going to be a problem

Do the Devils have too many offensive defensemen? Maybe.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

It's interesting because it seemed like the book on him was he couldn't carry a line but it does kinda seem like he's found his groove or whatever, he looks like a guy who got drafted 3rd overall. Even if it took him a while to get there. I realize it's also only been like 8 games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levitate posted:

To be fair, Clifton got ejected early on and Comrie died for no reason and there was that bullshit around the delay of game penalty and the Devils still only barely won.

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1718049927702425606?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m not sure Clifton meant to do that, regardless it was a very bad hit and he is getting a hearing tomorrow.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The PP and offensive end is the only thing keeping us above water right now - the goaltending needs to shore the gently caress up instead of allowing 4 to 5 each night. I think Graves actually had a significant influence on the backend lineup as well, but hopefully it'll mesh better as time progresses. Goal is still the huge question mark.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's interesting because it seemed like the book on him was he couldn't carry a line but it does kinda seem like he's found his groove or whatever, he looks like a guy who got drafted 3rd overall. Even if it took him a while to get there. I realize it's also only been like 8 games.

Strome was also very good last year. He scored 65 points and generally brought the best out of his linemates.

I wouldn't call him a true 1C but he's an excellent 2C and can pass as a 1C on a bad team like the Capitals. When Strome was in Chicago people attributed his success to playing with Kane and DeBrincat. Of course now it seems like Kane was probably the one being propped up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh for sure. He definitely had a big year last year. But I feel like this year (and this might be a "me" thing) was a big test. The Caps are bad. They weren't great last year, but I thought this year would really expose the guys who couldn't play, and Strome has looked great while just about everyone else has not.

I think you're right, in an ideal world he's an elite 2C, but as a defacto 1C he's been a nice surprise so far.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/griffinshockey/status/1718108694381310105?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Aaand here come the pretzels

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"we're giving members of the crowd these foam target hats at this archery event, what could possibly go wrong?"

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
The NHL should probably ban goal reviews against OV because he lost 2 1/2 seasons to lockouts and would already have the record.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What kind of lovely ref actually calls a delay of game penalty against the crowd, they didn't even do it last season when Devils fans were throwing half-empty beer cans onto the ice.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 28, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

To be fair, Clifton got ejected early on and Comrie died for no reason and there was that bullshit around the delay of game penalty and the Devils still only barely won.

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1718049927702425606?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m not sure Clifton meant to do that, regardless it was a very bad hit and he is getting a hearing tomorrow.

my Connor Clifton connection is one of my co-workers asked me to give them suggestions for how to fill out the local fire departments hockey pool because they don't watch hockey but they play every year anyway and they always finish in last place and they were tired of it... one of those simple ones where you just pick 1 name out of 5 in a bucket and there's 30 buckets or whatever. When I looked at the scoring for the pool it turned out that penalty minutes, hits and blocked shots were each worth half of what a goal or assist was and those were the only stats tracked in the pool.

well anyways my co-worker now knows Connor Clifton specifically by name because I told them that while the strategy we used to pick the players was solid, the risk was that some of the players selected are so bad at playing hockey that they may get benched or cut from the team, and the Sabres fans on my internet forum say that Connor Clifton is potentially one of those players.

I doubt it though since they gave him a 3 year deal at 3 mill a season lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1718002666536669214

It's not exciting or anything but I also love the crest and those arm stripes are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1718002666536669214

It's not exciting or anything but I also love the crest and those arm stripes are great.

the colors of the stripes not matching the colors of the crest is pissing me off