Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should just be a whole rear end second level to the arena, like that one Mario Kart arena map

Try not to get flipped into the first floor ceiling by Hydra lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Person Dyslexic posted:

I am still incredibly confused about the upper deck. Does it actually do anything aside from make things harder for horizontal spinners, reduce floor space, and provide more awkward angles for bots to get stuck on?

It is supposed to benefit flippers/control bots. IIRC, they had safety issues with bots getting tossed out of the controlled space, so they got rid of the out-of-the-arena options. The upper deck is supposed to be a make-good for having to remove that win condition.

If a robot is on the Upper Deck, they have 20 seconds to get off or they're counted out.

Also, if you're a flipper or a control bot, you have more perimeter to bash your opponent into and if you can get them up there, they are theoretically at a disadvantage because they have to get off it without being able to make a meaningful attack, so you get a free shot at a dismounting bot.

In theory, it's an OK idea. In practice, I cannot recall a fight where someone got counted out who also wouldn't have been counted out if they were on the regular ground because they were just totally nonfunctional.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

If a robot is on the Upper Deck, they have 20 seconds to get off or they're counted out.
I thought they ditched that particular rule?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I thought it was kind of weird they announced the results of Emulsifier-Shredderator off camera

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I thought it was kind of weird they announced the results of Emulsifier-Shredderator off camera

Came to post this, but assumed that with so many matches going the full three minutes they were legitimately running tight on the broadcast length.

EDIT: That, or the producers pettily wanted to deny Emulsifier a unanimous decision moment because that guy is such a whiny brat when split decisions don't go his way.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 28, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Kudos to the editor. They cut to a driver shot right after Cobalt and Lucky disengaged that had me thinking we were going to see a huge reversal, but alas.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

Came to post this, but assumed that with so many matches going the full three minutes they were legitimately running tight on the broadcast length.

EDIT: That, or the producers pettily wanted to deny Emulsifier a unanimous decision moment because that guy is such a whiny brat when split decisions don't go his way.

TBH i was expecting an appeal for precisely that reason and I assumed the reason it was off-camera was that such an appeal had failed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOW0ub1VA0

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

:perfect:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh that Ray :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Will Bales is apparently not driving tonight.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1720033258979704929

I wouldn't expect a repeat of the Cobalt debacle though. She's driven it before and even won an 8-team live event, beating Tombstone, Blip, and Hydra.

Honestly, they talk up Will as a driver a lot, but he makes a lot of mistakes and struggles to right the thing when it gets flipped over. Might do Hypershock some good to have someone else on the sticks.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 3, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring back the crabwalk rule

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Claw Viper-Shatter: Clean win by Claw Viper. Took a few shots but Shatter doesn't really have stopping power.

Monsoon-Gruff: Gruff the most durable bot in the field *on its back on fire within 20 seconds*

Ripperoni-Glitch: Well, Glitch finally got moving alright ... for about 30 seconds. Good strategy by Ripperoni to test them for that long.

Hypershock-Starchild: God, I hate it when they turn the weapon off to conserve it.

A typical Starchild performance, bot's a complete loving wreck by the end.

Pretty good drive by the "rookie" driver but she did plow it straight into the wall at one point.

Feel bad for the P1 guy; this robot just does not work.

Claw Viper-Hypershock: Awesome fight.

Alex is pretty questionable on her attacks, but I also think Will would have continued to over-chase like that first half for the entire match. I dunno, I guess Claw Viper can make a lot of people look questionable on their attacks.

Monsoon-Ripperoni: lol soooooo many close calls with these huge weapons just inches from making contact. That seemed like it was gonna be whichever bot got lucky on their shots.

Ripperoni-Hypershock: What an anti-climax. Goofiest goddamn fight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1720259917989433441

I didn't think Shreddit Bro had much of a chance, but they got pretty hard countered Round 1 to make an early exit all but assured.

I'd assume Ripperoni beats Tantrum, given all their gremlins in WCVII.

End Game over Free Shipping, easy.

Jackpot v. Whiplash, I truly have no idea.

Probably a Sawblaze v. End Game finale, unless Ripperoni can channel Uppercut and hit Sawblaze in the propane tank. Not sure who I'd take in that one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't tell if they mean the event they spoiled on the broadcast or if they filmed another one.

https://twitter.com/battlebots/status/1720241641347494323

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

Claw Viper-Shatter: Clean win by Claw Viper. Took a few shots but Shatter doesn't really have stopping power.

Monsoon-Gruff: Gruff the most durable bot in the field *on its back on fire within 20 seconds*

Ripperoni-Glitch: Well, Glitch finally got moving alright ... for about 30 seconds. Good strategy by Ripperoni to test them for that long.

Hypershock-Starchild: God, I hate it when they turn the weapon off to conserve it.

A typical Starchild performance, bot's a complete loving wreck by the end.

Pretty good drive by the "rookie" driver but she did plow it straight into the wall at one point.

Feel bad for the P1 guy; this robot just does not work.

Claw Viper-Hypershock: Awesome fight.

Alex is pretty questionable on her attacks, but I also think Will would have continued to over-chase like that first half for the entire match. I dunno, I guess Claw Viper can make a lot of people look questionable on their attacks.

Monsoon-Ripperoni: lol soooooo many close calls with these huge weapons just inches from making contact. That seemed like it was gonna be whichever bot got lucky on their shots.

Ripperoni-Hypershock: What an anti-climax. Goofiest goddamn fight.

Don't really have much else to say beyond this lol, though drat Gruff went up hard and fast there huh? That glow through the metal was brutal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, apparently Hypershock is building a new bot, a flipper named Vertigo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyec_9trREG/

Getting Alex stick time so she can take over Hypershock while Will runs the new team.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1720259917989433441

I didn't think Shreddit Bro had much of a chance, but they got pretty hard countered Round 1 to make an early exit all but assured.

I'd assume Ripperoni beats Tantrum, given all their gremlins in WCVII.

End Game over Free Shipping, easy.

Jackpot v. Whiplash, I truly have no idea.

Probably a Sawblaze v. End Game finale, unless Ripperoni can channel Uppercut and hit Sawblaze in the propane tank. Not sure who I'd take in that one.

If you were to seed the bots, the bracket makes a lot of sense. Shreddit Bro would clearly be an 8 seed & Free Shipping being a 7 seed is fair. Sawblaze Being the 1 seed & End Game being the 2 seed would also make sense.

Could argue it's a tossup on what the seeding would be with the other 4 bots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If you were to seed the bots, the bracket makes a lot of sense. Shreddit Bro would clearly be an 8 seed & Free Shipping being a 7 seed is fair. Sawblaze Being the 1 seed & End Game being the 2 seed would also make sense.

Could argue it's a tossup on what the seeding would be with the other 4 bots.

Probably put Tantrum 3 just because it's an autobid former champ and Ripperoni at 6 makes sense as a rookie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL @ that final fight, one for the history books (but not in a good way) :v:

Also I remember when Gruff was a serious contender, drat it's fallen off a crazy amount.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I was rather thrown that Will wasn't driving Hypershock at first and the Starchild fight was okay but that bot is easy pickings for a competent opponent. But the Hypershock v Claw Viper fight was one of the best I've seen in a long time, what a great comeback from a rookie driver. Withstanding that onslaught and then serving some pain back, you can't ask for more than that from a great bot fight. I'm really looking forward to more great drives from Alex. Also loved how Kevin got completely yelly CMON ALEX LETS HAVE SOME FUN hahaha.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 4, 2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Definitely none of those matches were lost by poor driving, but it still wasn't great. She almost got hung up on the upper deck dismount, for example.

Will really is a great driver, it would be hard to compare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Definitely none of those matches were lost by poor driving, but it still wasn't great. She almost got hung up on the upper deck dismount, for example.

Will really is a great driver, it would be hard to compare.

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with Kenny that she's a better driver. But she showed a lot of promise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Was I dreaming or was there a legit NHRL name drop during the Starchild introductions?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Was I dreaming or was there a legit NHRL name drop during the Starchild introductions?

They've mentioned NHRL a few times.

I think the Battlebots people know it's good for them to have NHRL out there. They have the big name in robot combat, so it's good for them to have another player out there growing the size of the pie overall.

If NHRL didn't exist, Battlebots would need to invent it themselves.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

They've mentioned NHRL a few times.

I think the Battlebots people know it's good for them to have NHRL out there. They have the big name in robot combat, so it's good for them to have another player out there growing the size of the pie overall.

If NHRL didn't exist, Battlebots would need to invent it themselves.
I've seen them refer to lower weight classes, like about Shreddit Bro and Evan, but this is the first time I remember them being specific about it. Maybe I'm just unobservant though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

I've seen them refer to lower weight classes, like about Shreddit Bro and Evan, but this is the first time I remember them being specific about it. Maybe I'm just unobservant though.

I think they bring them up about half the time with Shreddit Bro, and last season with the Lynx/Riptide thing. They talk about Jamison Go in those weight classes sometimes too.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think previous seasons were pretty cagey about names and just said "regional competitions". I'd assume due to guidelines about pumping the "competition" from the studios. Remember that it's an entertainment television show.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL @ that final fight, one for the history books (but not in a good way) :v:

Also I remember when Gruff was a serious contender, drat it's fallen off a crazy amount.

This isn't a normal falling off either. Gruff went from being a tank to breaking down on the regular. They made some change that really hasn't worked.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

This isn't a normal falling off either. Gruff went from being a tank to breaking down on the regular. They made some change that really hasn't worked.

Kind of a similar falloff to Duck. Weapons have gotten way deadlier in the last few seasons. You can't tank 5 direct hits from Monsoon anymore.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gruff got bumped up into fighting the tougher bots way before they were ready to do so. They have arguably never been that great of a tank bot. Their biggest wins were against Hypershock and Ripperoni's first fight this year. Everything else their wins are not against impressive bots. Their Tombstone bounty for example, they beat Deadlift, Gemini, & Kraken to get to Tombstone.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Kind of a similar falloff to Duck. Weapons have gotten way deadlier in the last few seasons. You can't tank 5 direct hits from Monsoon anymore.

deadlier and also more reliable. monsoon or whoever also isn't going to break down after delivering 5 direct hits. breaking their fist with your face is more likely than not just to break your face

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Gruff got bumped up into fighting the tougher bots way before they were ready to do so. They have arguably never been that great of a tank bot. Their biggest wins were against Hypershock and Ripperoni's first fight this year. Everything else their wins are not against impressive bots. Their Tombstone bounty for example, they beat Deadlift, Gemini, & Kraken to get to Tombstone.

also yeah. their forks really suck. it has a bad ground game and then the forks will inevitably get bent and make it worse.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What are they making their forks out of? I see them often break so I'm assuming its not out of the same materials as the armor probably to save weight .Are there bots with ar500 forks? Is that workable?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Duck had two major redesigns though, the second of which was just too fragile to survive even mid tier pummelings. Duck is closer to say Rotator's recent problems, which took a bot that was extremely hard to kill and gave it a more lightweight but flimsy frame, making it easier to kill. I legit think Gruff started doing something different internally, because this is a reliability problem more than a damage problem imo. Gruff just hasn't been working as well.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Gruff's big moment its debut season was going head to head with Tombstone for the full 3 minutes in a super close fight. I think the show producers saw that were like, "wow, this thing can take a beating, we can just throw it in there with any spinner and get a great match." That and the announcers gave it the reputation of being durable, so that's the narrative, even though you can tell current Gruff isn't quite the same as the old one and has absolutely no game against verticals. I think they need a serious redesign because their current fork set up doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HyBGnAsN8

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also, fire looks cool and exciting.

Less effective at 250 lbs than against 3D-printed 3 & 12 pounders, sure, but it's good TV when it seems like it's working.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Man, that last fight was such a buzzkill, they should have montaged it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Teams being able to bring their own attachments instead of the Pulverizers? Maybe in the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XewpLsXxi68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Interesting, no idea how feasible it would be but I'd love a hollow drill or spike that could put fire directly into the middle of a bot.