Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is Ghost Trick worth playing if you've never played the original, and have no nostalgia for the DS era of games? I'm thinking of buying it from a site that doesn't do refunds, and I'm skeptical of all of the glowing reviews from people who loved the original. I've been tricked too many times into playing a 10-20 year old game and finding that it's straight up unfun to play because of poor controls or genre conventions that have long been discarded.

Do you like puzzle games, at all? Hell, if you don't then can you at least tolerate them for the sake of a good story? If you can then Ghost Trick is worth getting. I just finished my own run through it and it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/wb-100-play-legends?partner=nintendeal

$5/$10/$15 tiers

quote:

$5
Mad Max
Mortal Kombat XL
Batman Arkham City GOTY edition
Middle Earth:shadows of mordor goty
Batman Arkham Asylum goty
$10
Mortal Kombat 11 ultimate edition
Batman Arkham Knight Premium edition
Middle-Earth shadow of war Definitive edition
Injustice 2 Legendary edition
Batman Arkham origins
$15
Back 4 blood
Gotham Knights

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is Ghost Trick worth playing
yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought the point of the highest tier was to have something people really want.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I mean if you somehow have missed or don't have that 5$ tier on your account, it is pretty loving dope and tens of hours of good plays for an absolutely minimal cost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunsku posted:

I mean if you somehow have missed or don't have that 5$ tier on your account, it is pretty loving dope and tens of hours of good plays for an absolutely minimal cost.

Oh 5 and 10 are fan-loving-tastic. $15 is just a hard stretch and I say that as someone who enjoyed Gotham Knights more than I expected.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is Ghost Trick worth playing if you've never played the original, and have no nostalgia for the DS era of games? I'm thinking of buying it from a site that doesn't do refunds, and I'm skeptical of all of the glowing reviews from people who loved the original. I've been tricked too many times into playing a 10-20 year old game and finding that it's straight up unfun to play because of poor controls or genre conventions that have long been discarded.

Hwurmp posted:

Ghost Trick is one of the best games of all time

No notes.

Seriously though its an extremely good puzzle game full of imagination and personality. Despite how it may look from screenshots and video you aren't really doing any jumping or sprinting or platforming at all. If you like puzzle games I don't know how you would ever dislike Ghost Trick.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
The only game in that I am interested in and don't already have is Mad Max. Glad it's in the 5 dollar tier, I'll pick that up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yep, I just played this version for the first time, it's fantastic.

I played with a controller and it was fine, but it's probably just as good if not better with a mouse. They actually ported it to the RE Engine, so the 3D bits look great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fit em all up in there posted:

$5
Mad Max
Mortal Kombat XL
Batman Arkham City GOTY edition
Middle Earth:shadows of mordor goty
Batman Arkham Asylum goty
$10
Mortal Kombat 11 ultimate edition
Batman Arkham Knight Premium edition
Middle-Earth shadow of war Definitive edition
Injustice 2 Legendary edition
Batman Arkham origins
$15
Back 4 blood
Gotham Knights

God drat that's a lot of collecting

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The 10/10s that are on GOTY game ads actually refer to the in-game collections.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gathering One Thousand Yadda-yadda-whatevers

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think there might almost literally be one thousand Riddler trophies between all four games.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

shoulda had more imo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

riddled with riddles

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AC4 has made me wish that every game had collectable sea shanties.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Begemot posted:

They actually ported it to the RE Engine, so the 3D bits look great.

They what :psyboom:

That's insane. They already had two different ports to use as a base and they went the extra mile instead. Mad people.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:hmmyes:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think that's the only optional collectible that I've ever 100%ed in any game

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think that's the only optional collectible that I've ever 100%ed in any game

Collectibles that aren't just incrementing the number of collectibles you've found are fine, like the sea shanties in the AC games that have them, and unlike most if not all of the other types of collectibles in the AC games. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk has collectible dj mixes that get added to your music playlist and graffiti tags that give you more options when tagging the heck out of someone else's turf. They also give credit to the artists who made the tags when you look them up in your phone to see how to do them in-game. That's the only one I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there are more.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 28, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The best collectables in all of videogames are the grubs from Hollow Knight

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Played it for the first time a few months ago. Its exceptional. Cant think of another mystery thing that ends so well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I've been playing Mirrors Edge Catalyst and man this game sure.....exists.

Mirrors Edge 1 always felt like this hidden gem frankly. Like it was in a lot of ways a Portal expy, focusing on very quick puzzle solving while dealing with occasional turrets that'd shoot at you. It gave you a bit more freedom while being shot at, but hit a lot of the same buttons. And it was wrapped in a nice, solid story that if you thought too hard about, you'd see the frayed edges, but the game itself was maybe 6 hours long so instead it was just this compact little thing that worked exceptionally well.

And then there's this thing.

They turned it into an open world puzzle metroidvania? But a really weak one, that just feels kinda pointless and gormless frankly. It's not bad, it's just uninspired. Rather than expand upon the toolset like Portal 2 did, they just spread it out even further, making it a more uneven experience.

Which is fine! Most of that stuff is ignorable, and the feeling of movement is still really nice. There is a joy from running from one end of the map to the other and just parkouring the whole way. There's some really nice puzzles in here, and honestly, I had a decent amount of fun with bits of it. Yeah there's WAY too many collectibles and 90% of them are pointless, but the agility orbs are fun enough and the city background stuff is neat. I've also enjoyed most of the incredibly basic relay race mission stuff that helps flesh out the world a bit.

The real bummer though is the story. It's from start to finish just pointless. They spend so much time building out these new terms/background lore beats, then piss it all away constantly moment to moment storywise. You get introduced to a new mentor and he's just constantly a downer/sucks. There's the plucky sidekick you are supposed to grow to like ( and to be frank he's the best part of the game ). Everyone is just so hostile, and lovely and it's all so miserable 24/7. Big plot beats hit and I couldn't care because the person involved never earned that level of me caring about them. But the part that just ripped me from the game was the very obvious sister subplot.

So in 1, there's also this subplot. But it's made clear you both grew up together and while you took on different paths were still sisters. And this was really neat for the overall story, because they constantly toyed with the "is she actually loyal to you/did she actually kill the guy" and it paid off in neat ways.

Here it's just wasted, bad. You very early on realize one of the main antagonists is your sister. Ok, fine. You then learn midway through the game that she got left behind when you escape as kids, and got captured and raised by the main villain. Except she got captured at like maybe 5-6? And yet as soon as you reconnect she's 100% willing to drop her adoptive father to side with you after you give her a passionate speech about freedom/family, despite the fact she was 100% complicit in the heinous poo poo the big bad was planning and has spent the vast majority of her life with her new dad. And all the other supporting characters are TOTALLY OK with this heel turn because "well she's your sister!".

It's awful. Absolutely awful writing. And it just tanked any hope the game had of creating a compelling world state to care about.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 28, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SirSamVimes posted:

The best collectables in all of videogames are the grubs from Hollow Knight

Even the ones that LIE?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Even the ones that LIE?

Especially those ones.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If you like Severed Steel and you haven't played it in a while, an update came out on Friday Oct 27th that adds big changes, making kicks, explosions, and thrown weapons cause enemies to rag doll and fly, adding for some sick mid-air kills.

On top of that, there's a new 'style' way of scoring for the Firefight (ie: arcade-y free mode) mode and the daily levels, wherein you have to pull off sick poo poo a la this little teaser trailer to get high score! It's nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5X3tPkwElc

Full Patch Notes here!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just finished Ghost Trick on the Steamdeck and it really is one of the all time great games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For the record, Slay the Princess is loving great and if you like words or feelings you should play it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Just finished the demo for Death Of A Wish and wanted to quickly recommend people check it out. It has a sort of Sekiro-esque parry system, a really strange and interesting custom weapon system, and a badge system that lets you customize your combat flow somewhat. That's probably not a great description and I know the screenshots are a little odd, but the demo and particularly the end-of-demo boss left me really impressed. I recommend turning the game speed up to 1.1, it felt a little sluggish until I did that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If you're at all interested in clever logic puzzles and mystery stories it's an easy recommendation. In the original the controls are all cursor/touchscreen puzzle solving interspersed with visual novel segments and the design was timeless on release. It's a sufficiently elegant game that there's not much cruft available to age poorly.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

So I've been playing Mirrors Edge Catalyst and man this game sure.....exists.

I love how the trailer for the first game opened with exactly what you could expect to be doing in-game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo

It's austere, colourful, and of course the final shot of the trailer is Faith, on a crane, dwarfed by the city. It's obvious what the point of the game is going to be.

By comparison, the Catalyst trailer looks like a parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDX_LiJT7E

...lens flares, surveillance tech, and a smiling 'our fair city reminds all citizens to be productive and happy' voiceover. There's a few seconds of parkour, but it's mostly combat sequences and prerendered GET HER YOU FOOLS cutscenes.

I don't know if it was a 'we're making an Aliens to the original Alien' thing, or just ordinary sequelitis - but it's such a shame that Catalyst itself ended up as a big, overstuffed mess of skill trees and quest markers and leaderboards and 'go find the thing to unveil the map and reveal more collectibles'.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Runa posted:

If you're at all interested in clever logic puzzles and mystery stories it's an easy recommendation. In the original the controls are all cursor/touchscreen puzzle solving interspersed with visual novel segments and the design was timeless on release. It's a sufficiently elegant game that there's not much cruft available to age poorly.
Ok, there's one pretty lame stealth section. But only the one!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a weirdo who thinks the first Mirror's Edge is pretty overrated and Catalyst is somewhat underrated, with both ultimately averaging out to slightly above average.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The 360 demo for Mirrors Edge was the perfect gaming experience that I played through 100 times and I gather I didn't miss a thing by never playing the full game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mirror's Edge is probably the only game in which I've genuinely enjoyed save scumming, trying to find the smoothest parkour path combined with :sicknasty: takedowns of guards

except for that one fps level. Apparently it was a requirement from on high

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think the sequel was caught up in the hype of everybody trying to copy the Ubisoft formula given how successful their games were.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

I think the sequel was caught up in the hype of everybody trying to copy the Ubisoft formula given how successful their games were.

Doesn't really check out, Catalyst came out in 2016 when Ubisoft was already starting to see some downturn on its main series - and Watch Dogs had just been an abysmal failure - and while Catalyst is more open-world than the first game it doesn't really lean into it all that much. A few side activities, mostly. Taking a big, shiny first person parkour game and making it open world was a pretty logical step, they just didn't land it particularly well in Catalyst's case.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Just finished the demo for Death Of A Wish and wanted to quickly recommend people check it out. It has a sort of Sekiro-esque parry system, a really strange and interesting custom weapon system, and a badge system that lets you customize your combat flow somewhat. That's probably not a great description and I know the screenshots are a little odd, but the demo and particularly the end-of-demo boss left me really impressed. I recommend turning the game speed up to 1.1, it felt a little sluggish until I did that.

try Born of a Dream if you don't want to wait for the full release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Sinking City is on sale for 85%, is the steam version the correct one or is that the one the publisher stole and used a pirated crack to sell?

I'm trying to make a habit of cleaning out my wishlist if a game is 75% or more off and I do not think I will buy it.

The other sale games I'm looking at are

AI: The Somnium Files: general awareness of it being mentioned in a positive tone
Mortal Shell: like Dark Souls but pitched for 'real gamers'
Observation: Been on my wishlist since 2021, I think maybe after playing Tacoma I was looking at fps space exploration sim/adventure games