Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

I'm at the point where I mostly use Double Commander or some other free file manager anyway. The lobitomized context menu is more offensive imo.

Yeah, it's annoying to use with bunch of options I use hidden behind another click.
It's also still way slower to appear than the old context menu, ffs. Don't get me wrong, it's not insanely slow or anything, just that old one appeared in about 50-100ms and this one takes like 300-500ms to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Weird, to me a file browser is better if it doesn't devote a bunch of UI space to useless buttons for functions that are easier to do with keyboard shortcuts or right-click options. One of the things I strongly disliked about 11 was that explorer had a fatter, non-hidable toolbar. Which was doubly frustrating with the simplified right-click -- it's just duplicating the same simple options that are already on the UI.

(And that it didn't have tabs. If MS had gotten their rear end together and had tabs as an announced feature from the start, I might still be on windows now!)

Less UI + simple right-click is a sensible design choice though. A file browser is for looking through file folders, it doesn't need to be derek smart's desktop commander.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sininu posted:

I think giving us an option to get rid of most of the buttons already accessible in the right click context menu and easiest keyboard shortcuts(copy paste) isn't a bad idea in itself. It'll free up some vertical space. But MS doesn't like customization so they'll ofc not make it optional.
Where the hell is the address bar though??? There was no need whatsoever to change that and where search was.

I’m with this as well. I have absolutely zero problem with MS trying new things, and even making the new things default options on first boot.

Why the gently caress would you take away all the stuff that people have been using your products for thirty years for, though? I mean, I have never ever used my Windows taskbar anywhere but on the bottom, but Win11 took that option away from folks who might be used to side/top taskbar. And most folks actually using side/top taskbars are power users, with the time and technique to go one menu deep in a right click. Why piss off your most fervent and loyal customers by lacking customization options to restore features available since 1995?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
We're way beyond needing a file manager replacement, we need a shell replacement.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

Weird, to me a file browser is better if it doesn't devote a bunch of UI space to useless buttons for functions that are easier to do with keyboard shortcuts or right-click options. One of the things I strongly disliked about 11 was that explorer had a fatter, non-hidable toolbar. Which was doubly frustrating with the simplified right-click -- it's just duplicating the same simple options that are already on the UI.

(And that it didn't have tabs. If MS had gotten their rear end together and had tabs as an announced feature from the start, I might still be on windows now!)

Less UI + simple right-click is a sensible design choice though. A file browser is for looking through file folders, it doesn't need to be derek smart's desktop commander.

I personally disagree. I have big monitors and I see absolutely no reason to not have the same thing in 5 different places if one so desires. Sometimes I may click on the toolbar, sometimes I right-click and choose copy, and other times ctrl+c is my friend.

The only wrong option is to remove options. Let people have their buttons if they want to. Yes, one could install derek smart's desktop commander to get the cockpit experience, but a smaller cockpit is not gonna hurt anyone. Sure, add an option to remove stuff for those with 600x480 screens, for "real-estate" reasons. Just don't remove it for everyone.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

We're way beyond needing a file manager replacement, we need a shell replacement.

Aa somebody who has used Total Commander (Windows Commander then) since Win95. The only thing that stopped me from using Win11 was the always combine taskbar (that and the cpu requirement)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

I'm on record in at least one of these threads hoping the backlash will lead to a renewed interest in alternative windows shells. Not that I think it'll happen, just kinda hoping.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah time to bust out my LiteStep setup from 2003 again

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MikusR posted:

Aa somebody who has used Total Commander (Windows Commander then) since Win95. The only thing that stopped me from using Win11 was the always combine taskbar (that and the cpu requirement)

Sounds like you're on Windows 11 now, but if not you can stop taskbar icons combining as of last month.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Weird, to me a file browser is better if it doesn't devote a bunch of UI space to useless buttons for functions that are easier to do with keyboard shortcuts or right-click options.

i mean, same

which is why i use a cli 99% of the time, lol

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd go to the motherboard support page and look for a dedicated sound driver download. Even if the basic chips being used are theoretically standardized, audio is one of the places manufacturers will still do weird proprietary add-on poo poo.

Quick update, getting the actual vendor driver (Realtek) vs the Microsoft generic one fixed the issue!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sounds like you're on Windows 11 now, but if not you can stop taskbar icons combining as of last month.

Yes, I am currently using it. The new taskbar, start menu, occasional explorer window are sooo janky.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

So weird to me how badly they keep loving up performance on things like the basic UI. The original had to have been all raw dogged in straight C in a plain text editor and was still rock solid. Anytime there was a problem it was ALWAYS some lovely context menu addin by a third party.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got a Windows 98 machine right next to me whose start menu opens so fast it’s like it predicted your click

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
It makes sense but I hate it. When I open the start menu and start typing, I want to find the system setting or utility that I'm typing in ("update," "security," "sleep"), or a program I've installed, or maybe the name of a file. I want this to happen super fast and for obvious choices to be selected first.
This doesn't make Microsoft money, it'll never make Microsoft money. Instead, they want me to to open the start menu when I'm searching for something else, like if I want to buy a new gamer chair or tickets to a concert. They want me to think of the start menu first when searching for anything and everything, that it'll open those results in Edge, and that they can sell ads against those searches.
In order to support those searches for everything on the web, the start menu needs to interact with the web, with Microsoft's servers, instead of just having to worry about my computer. That inevitably is going to make it dramatically slower, especially when I don't have a reliable and snappy internet connection.

And again, it makes sense. In my ideal goddamn world I'd run Windows XP with some magic security fairy dust keeping it taped together. That's not worth any money, barely anybody wants it, they couldn't monetize it, they couldn't charge the few of us who do want it enough to actually support it. It sucks. They should just open source XP and leave it up to the loving weirdos to make it airtight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Local Start search is also inconsistent in how effective it is (even with things that should be indexed). Even weirder, it sometimes forgets queries I’ve used for ages.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

It makes sense but I hate it. When I open the start menu and start typing, I want to find the system setting or utility that I'm typing in ("update," "security," "sleep"), or a program I've installed, or maybe the name of a file. I want this to happen super fast and for obvious choices to be selected first.
This doesn't make Microsoft money, it'll never make Microsoft money. Instead, they want me to to open the start menu when I'm searching for something else, like if I want to buy a new gamer chair or tickets to a concert. They want me to think of the start menu first when searching for anything and everything, that it'll open those results in Edge, and that they can sell ads against those searches.
In order to support those searches for everything on the web, the start menu needs to interact with the web, with Microsoft's servers, instead of just having to worry about my computer. That inevitably is going to make it dramatically slower, especially when I don't have a reliable and snappy internet connection.

And again, it makes sense. In my ideal goddamn world I'd run Windows XP with some magic security fairy dust keeping it taped together. That's not worth any money, barely anybody wants it, they couldn't monetize it, they couldn't charge the few of us who do want it enough to actually support it. It sucks. They should just open source XP and leave it up to the loving weirdos to make it airtight.

The monetization is obvious: Charge me for an operating system that doesn't suck. I will pay you $200 / upgrade if you promise to make me an OS that actually does what I want it to do, not what MS wants it to do. Hell, make that the distinction between Home and Pro - Home is full of all this trash monetization and endless ads for OneDrive and requires an MS account and all that. Pro doesn't suck. I will pay incredible amounts of money for an OS I don't hate.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

zachol posted:

I've been using Open-Shell since Windows 8 to replace the start menu and the search finds me program/app names and those config items, even the descriptive alts, and nothing else. Consistently quickly. I like the windows 95 styling, but you can set it to look like XP if you want. If I'm looking for file names, I'll use Everything. Every so often I'll think it's a ridiculous situation that shouldn't be and try to raw dog the OS as it is, but that never lasts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been using Open-Shell since Windows 8 to replace the start menu and the search finds me program/app names and those config items, even the descriptive alts, and nothing else. Consistently quickly. I like the windows 95 styling, but you can set it to look like XP if you want. If I'm looking for file names, I'll use Everything. Every so often I'll think it's a ridiculous situation that shouldn't be and try to raw dog the OS as it is, but that never lasts.

It can't be overstated how essential a start menu replacement is since windows 8. You're wasting time if you use the built-in, it's no joke

Edit: and the bit about win 98's start menu being fast, yup, and just try explorer folder browsing in even windows 2003, it's an absolute dreame so responsive.

Responsiveness in the ui took a real hit with vista/2008, and then with 8/2012 start search was broken, 10/2015+ just made it responsiveness even worse and it's not gotten better since

Compare opening task manager on win 7 (even that's not as good as earlier versions) with win 10. It's embarrassing.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 27, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So am I alone in having my start menu be absolutely perfectly responsive? Like if I start typing a file name it brings it up immediately, I have absolutely zero complaints with it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So am I alone in having my start menu be absolutely perfectly responsive? Like if I start typing a file name it brings it up immediately, I have absolutely zero complaints with it.

Yup, I've never experienced "good" stock "modern" start menu behaviour, across many machines. At best it's not great but works

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 27, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Depends on the update. So, sometimes yes, sometimes very much no.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No. I don't experience any delays in opening or interacting with the start menu, and my only problem with search is that sometimes I have multiple things with the same word and it just chooses the wrong one to put on top so I have to press down once before enter

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One update made it so the search window wouldn’t show up until 5 seconds after typing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

One update made it so the search window wouldn’t show up until 5 seconds after typing

didn't experience, pebcak

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's just that my concept of the start menu ossified early on. It's a list of programs you want to start and start menu search should be in function of that. Results should be 100% predictable. Calculator should show up from when I type c and not only from cal and then disappear when that becomes calc or whatever sort of lovely fuzzy logic is in the native search. Made up example, but the sort of thing that kept happening.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2023/01/17/no-start-menu-for-you/

It was because it was taking too long to crash.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just remembered I have startallback installed, I'm just so used to it I forgot. So yeah, default start menu probably actually sucks

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

site posted:

I just remembered I have startallback installed, I'm just so used to it I forgot. So yeah, default start menu probably actually sucks

:lol:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's just that my concept of the start menu ossified early on. It's a list of programs you want to start and start menu search should be in function of that. Results should be 100% predictable. Calculator should show up from when I type c and not only from cal and then disappear when that becomes calc or whatever sort of lovely fuzzy logic is in the native search. Made up example, but the sort of thing that kept happening.

Before I latched onto text-driven launchers like FindandRunRobot and Keyperinha, I got used to using the Start Menu strictly from the keyboard. This would be either using Win -> arrow keys or Win -> letters (even before there was a search box).

The bottom line for me is that the Start Menu, or any application launcher, or hell, any application at all, should respond to keyboard commands in such a consistent way that you should be able to operate them reliably without even looking at that section of the screen. Using it should quickly become reflexive, and it should respond in exactly the same way every time you use it, the same way any physical tool should be. Imagine having a toolbelt, and every time you reached for your hammer, you couldn't be sure you'd actually get it.

The default Start Menu in Windows 11 is a continually shifting mess that seems to be mostly an advertising and user surveillance tool for Microsoft, that--at least periodically, but often continually--requires you to shift 100% of your attention to it to use it as an actual tool. So I don't use it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress yeah time to bust out my LiteStep setup from 2003 again

you could actually hack together a functional version of LiteStep as late as Win10 1709, but sadly MS has hosed up too much poo poo and as far as I know you can't do it anymore

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Start menu's been fine for me since..I dunno, 11's initial release. Sometimes it'll drop the first couple letters when I search but it's rare and also rare that I use search at all because my brain is very good at indexing useless data like where my files are

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Get Everything search like a normal nerd. Instant searches over many drives.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Start menu's been fine for me since..I dunno, 11's initial release. Sometimes it'll drop the first couple letters when I search but it's rare and also rare that I use search at all because my brain is very good at indexing useless data like where my files are

Yeah this is me as well, I've just accepted that apparently I have a secret magic Windows key that unlocks the working version or something, or that SA is somehow connected to multiple mandela effect worlds or something. Like, I believe people when they say it's terrible, it's just baffling because it basically almost always works for me. Win11 introduced some hitching, but not enough to be a real issue, and my work laptop doesn't have anything aftermarket.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redeyes posted:

i do use it, but usually not as a launcher.

Flipperwaldt posted:

i think it's convenient that it learns from your searches---so for me i eventually defaulted to irfanview---but occasionally (quite rarely) it seems to forget those

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah this is me as well, I've just accepted that apparently I have a secret magic Windows key that unlocks the working version or something, or that SA is somehow connected to multiple mandela effect worlds or something. Like, I believe people when they say it's terrible, it's just baffling because it basically almost always works for me. Win11 introduced some hitching, but not enough to be a real issue, and my work laptop doesn't have anything aftermarket.

I'm the same way. I think some people just have a very very short fuse for this kind of thing, especially when it occurs do to an update or upgrade of OS that they were reluctant for in the first place. It seems like if it were up to most people in this thread we would still have Windows Vista/7 era or earlier Start menu. I like to think that there are growing pains and that we eventually will have something to show all the experimenting Microsoft has been doing, but I admit they are often doing themselves no favors with some baffling UI decisions and inconsistencies.

I am however a more or less a known outlier as a tech-y person who supports the "dumbing down" of many aspects of every day computing. I think accessibility is a most noble goal.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
For what is worth, there's plenty of other things that I'm weirdly particular about so I get it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’m annoyed you can’t move the weather widget on the taskbar to over where it should be and where it was in win 10: by the date/time.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

redeyes posted:

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Furism posted:

Quick update, getting the actual vendor driver (Realtek) vs the Microsoft generic one fixed the issue!

Thanks for the update - glad it got sorted!