Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

knees and toes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Today I learned that today is not the Taskmaster’s birthday. (s16e06 Banter spoiler)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

"Who's controlling the rubbish robots?"

"God."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
One of the best live tasks ever. Greg losing his loving mind at the end.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kaiho posted:

"God."

In a way, aren't we all just rubbish robots?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sam calling out the a bit poo poo task as a bit poo poo saved the a bit poo poo task from being completely poo poo.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The heads shoulders knees and toes task is one of my favourites from this season. From Julian spending the entire time ripping Alex to shreds to whatever the hell Susan, Sam and Lucy’s pieces were. Whenever they have to do a creative task like that, the contestants always knock it our of the park.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sam calling out the a bit poo poo task as a bit poo poo saved the a bit poo poo task from being completely poo poo.

Yeah, in any other series that would have been an awful task (and probably wouldn't make the show), but Sam and Julian's reactions saved it.

Same goes for the prize task. Everyone just seems to be having so much fun this series.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I was thinking how poo poo that prize task would have been in TMNZ. Greg and the contestants spun gold out of poo poo there.

Then they turned a fairly standard studio task in something much better than it should have been (they have done a lot of hey Greg do they have it/are they doing it tasks).

Also it was mean to ping Lucy for saying "Right" when she wasn't using it as a direction, just a vocal tick. But it didn't matter for the score so there's no need to be faux mad about it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's could've been a great transition from Sue Perkins' nursery rhyme thing to the adverts :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I can't fully express why but "there you are, radiating your usual charisma" struck me as the most savage thing I have ever heard.

e: and then "good luck with your career, such as it is", sweet jesus

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 27, 2023

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

Also it was mean to ping Lucy for saying "Right" when she wasn't using it as a direction, just a vocal tick. But it didn't matter for the score so there's no need to be faux mad about it.

Except that Lucy (being Lucy) tried to defend herself by claiming that they were instructions.

That was a bit that got immediately rewound for a second watch, which is always the sign of a great TM moment.

It's like a development of her "no one says you can't do 90mph on the motorway" stance about rules.

Trig Discipline posted:

I can't fully express why but "there you are, radiating your usual charisma" struck me as the most savage thing I have ever heard.

Julian has the most finely-honed ability to make sentences take on the opposite of their meaning that I've ever seen. A neutral statement like 'you look like you'd own a barbecue' becomes an insult and a compliment such as "there you are, radiating your usual charisma" turns into a ruinous destruction.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 27, 2023

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

You and I have very different definitions of the perfect match, because that sounds infuriating and tiring 100% of the time to me. But yes, I love every second of that mad woman and the things she says. I wonder how much is an act (if anything).

I mean "perfect match" in the sense of "perfectly complimentary psychoses". Like that couple everyone knows where you think "I'm glad they found each other so that nobody else has to deal with them".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kaiho posted:

"God."

"Is this what the future is going to be like, isn't it? All of us avoiding robots."

That "Please..." when Lucy cussed when she realised the banned words.

And, of course, "TITS!"

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 27, 2023

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I love Julian's top in the studio this episode

Lucy I suspect does play it up some but honestly imo she just has the vibe of being quite ADHD and able to turn off the internal filter. I love her and she looks like she gives good hugs.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
So what was Alex's QR code in the intro?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Finally came to me that Julian's brand of savage compliments reminds me of Martin Short. Similar schtick of on-the-face compliments that are thinly veiled insults. Julian's gentle delivery adds a nice subtly to it tho vs. Short's brashness.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Fatty posted:

So what was Alex's QR code in the intro?

https://www.taskmastersbirthday.com/

Edit: I think the dumbest thing about it is the fact that Greg's birthday is in May. No one's going to remember that site exists by that point.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 28, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I will again contend this is the best whole cast the series has ever had.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Bertha the Toaster posted:

https://www.taskmastersbirthday.com/

Edit: I think the dumbest thing about it is the fact that Greg's birthday is in May. No one's going to remember that site exists by that point.

Out of curiosity, I checked when this series' studio parts were filmed to see if maybe this episode was actually filmed on his birthday: it was filmed from the 2nd-12th of May, and Greg's birthday is May 14th. The absolute pointlessness of it is hilarious to me. How would anyone in the studio have even scanned it to begin with, in order to maybe remember to check it a few days later?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That may be the joke, though? Another of Alex' in-character attempts to butter up the Taskmaster in a completely ineffective fashion? Isn't it sweet how he tries?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I've set a reminder on my phone

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It also checks the date as 14/05/23 so it won't work next year lmao

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Brilliant episode.

I may be falling slightly in love with Lucy Beaumont.

Sorry Sally Phillips, Beaumont is my new Taskmaster crush now

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

They're all unstoppably entertaining, but my god I love Susan. She's so weird but joyus? Like, chaoticly quiet. I could listen to Julian's insults forever and the others, but Susan just makes me happy on another level

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Susan is wonderful, yes. She's quietly bonkers in a way that just works. Also love Julian, he's like a siamese cat watching people freak out and then he saunters through and devastates everyone before slinking off. He's not my favorite contestant but he's the contestant I want on every season, you know?

Lucy is the main draw, god drat. Her toe film and even the credits bit with the whipped cream just killed me. She doesn't have to be like that, but she is and I thank her for it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Lugubrious posted:

Out of curiosity, I checked when this series' studio parts were filmed to see if maybe this episode was actually filmed on his birthday: it was filmed from the 2nd-12th of May, and Greg's birthday is May 14th. The absolute pointlessness of it is hilarious to me. How would anyone in the studio have even scanned it to begin with, in order to maybe remember to check it a few days later?

Oh there's another level of pointlessness to it, the domain was only registered on 10 October this year.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it actually points to a redirector https://qrco.de/bdMjlH, and then I guess they got around to pointing that to the birthday site when they set it up a few weeks ago.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

neongrey posted:

I love Julian's top in the studio this episode

Lucy I suspect does play it up some but honestly imo she just has the vibe of being quite ADHD and able to turn off the internal filter. I love her and she looks like she gives good hugs.

I think part of it is genuine and she leans into it, and she's so practiced at it that you don't notice the leaning most of the time. It was most noticeable last episode: She had a couple quips that were a little forced, and then the toilet paper stuck to her shoe, and it was like "Okay, yeah, you're definitely playing a bit". But she's so drat good at it that is has to be a magnification of real traits.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it actually points to a redirector https://qrco.de/bdMjlH, and then I guess they got around to pointing that to the birthday site when they set it up a few weeks ago.

They had six months to think up something funny this way.

Not sure it worked.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Worked for me, I scanned my TV and chuckled at Alex's adorable gesture.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I looked it up on my phone, laughed, and showed it to my friend, who also laughed, so it did the job.

Everything doesn't have to be a massive production, especially on Taskmaster. It was a cheap site with a cheap QR code for a cheap gag, much like any weird little prop Alex has pulled out of his drawer over the years. They even just threw the URL into qr.co instead of encoding the QR code directly, which would still have been pretty easy. Scanning it is also no effort since phone camera apps have QR scanning built in now. It's just an easter egg for people who know to whip out their phones, it's not that deep.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think its a very valuable site with a lot of useful information.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

mossyfisk posted:

Can you change system date?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I trust Alex to update the date next year.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

mossyfisk posted:

It doesn't check the date at all. It has some partial testing code for making sure it can tell the current date and the date 14/5/23, in a very "JavaScript tutorial for dummies" sort of way, but it's not complete and the script doesn't update the page in any way. It does show someone was trying, though! Maybe they'll learn jquery in time to update it before next May.

It might be server side but if they had the knowhow and resources to set that up, a lot of this would look very different already.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
"The thing that they have on churches that's evil."
"A crucifix."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Caphi posted:

It doesn't check the date at all. It has some partial testing code for making sure it can tell the current date and the date 14/5/23, in a very "JavaScript tutorial for dummies" sort of way, but it's not complete and the script doesn't update the page in any way. It does show someone was trying, though! Maybe they'll learn jquery in time to update it before next May.

It might be server side but if they had the knowhow and resources to set that up, a lot of this would look very different already.

Or they can shut down the website for one day and avoid coding completely.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tagra posted:

I think part of it is genuine and she leans into it, and she's so practiced at it that you don't notice the leaning most of the time. It was most noticeable last episode: She had a couple quips that were a little forced, and then the toilet paper stuck to her shoe, and it was like "Okay, yeah, you're definitely playing a bit". But she's so drat good at it that is has to be a magnification of real traits.

yeah that's the thing I get, that she's practiced at directing her natural energy, and it just shows the most when it does get a little forced. my internal stream of consciousness is not unlike what she's unleashing for all to see.

I glanced at her twitter actually and she's very nice about it but I get the distinct impression its a little annoying to her that people so readily assume she's just that bubbleheadded. But that's both comedy, the most parasocial of arts, and being a skilled woman for you I guess.

Unrelatedly if you're at all interested in the official podcasts, the last two episodes have back to back the Sues just independently gushing about each other. It's one of the most heartwarming things ever, just the immediate BFFs at first sight from the show continuing to be genuine and sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
What a fantastic episode. The live task had me nearly choking with laughter for some reason even if it was, on the surface, a very simple and unremarkable thing. Lucy's HSKT video was incredible. Sam's prize task is one of the best ones ever brought in and Greg being down on it was really odd.