Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's solid proof that they understand why someone would choose to use a name other than their true biological natal name etched on their chromosomes in some cases, but stay wilfully ignorant in others.

e: The An-225 was a Soviet cargo aircraft designed to carry Burans, and was the heaviest aircraft ever built with the largest wingspan of any aircraft in operational service. It was commonly used to transport objects once thought impossible to move by air, such as 130-ton generators, wind turbine blades, and diesel locomotives.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

kingturnip posted:

I don't disagree with your point, Angepain, but I do think it's a bit surface-level.

Yeah I don't think we disagree here - my "terrible person" comment was probably a bit too hyperbolic as I do get how people can be led into this line of thinking, I suppose it just came out of frustration as to how these people are being treated as objective observers who cannot be wrong about what's right for their child (or in some cases, adult children) rather than people who might also be coming at the situation with their own biases. It's hard to blame most parents for not realising they're being fed a line by groups with an agenda when there's very little effort by anyone with real power to counter it. Really I'm just annoyed at the media and the government and the NHS and so on that allow kids to be talked over for bad reasons

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I am reading A Libertarian Walks into a Bear right now and I've had to slow down as it is astonishing how infuriating everybody in the town is. And for centuries. It is where short-sighted dickheads go to die, baffled by their own insistence against reality.

No et by bears yet at page 100 but I am wishing hard. Astounding dumbfuckery.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

I'm probably going to be probed for my post in the I/P thread, so I'm going to post it here: It's important people see what Gaza is waking up to this morning

the state of israel is having a loving blood orgy and the most our leaders can do is ask for is a "pause" to it

i wouldn't give a poo poo if they went and invaded iran to try to topple its lovely regime, that's a fair fight

what they're doing right now is naked evil

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kingturnip posted:

I don't disagree with your point, Angepain, but I do think it's a bit surface-level.
As a clinician working in healthcare, we often talk about parents going through grief. Yes, there's the pain of a child dying, or losing a pregnancy, but there's also the grief that comes from having a child with a disability. It's the grief that comes from realising that your expectations as a parent for your child aren't going to be met.
Obviously, you've got the physical disabilities like Downs syndrome or cerebral palsy, but it also applies to children who are autistic. And arguably, that can be harder for parents to deal with, since it usually takes a longer time to become really evident. I've worked with children aged 2-11 where within 5 minutes I'm thinking "This child's autistic" but it can take years for parents to understand that their child isn't neurotypical, let alone actually come to terms with it. (For better or worse, all parents have expectations of their children's future. Like with all things, some parents are just better at dealing with this than others.)

So from that point of view, I can see why some parents of autistic young people who are describing as trans can find that very hard to accept. They've maybe spent a decade reconciling their expectations of a child with the reality and now there's another reality they've got to come to terms with.
I'm not saying that's right. In fact, it tells me that GIC probably need to have access to a boatload of counselling for parents in addition to whatever psychological support is there for the young people (on the basis that having supportive parents is itself psychologically supportive for any child). But it is a thing.

I mean, yes, I get it, and I am sure that the best response is compassionate support so they can work through that stuff healthily, but at the same time... gently caress them? I really can't bring myself to care all that much about the dashed expectations of people who take long enough to come to terms with either autism or gender non-comformity in their own kids that it seriously effects their parenting, or the kid's experiences. I've seen too many trans people who have been treated like they have 'killed' their former selves and like there was a genuine, tangible loss. If parents have a problem and quietly work through it or get support then great, I commend that, but it's stunning how their grief becomes the central focus and animating force for these people so very often.

If anything the fact it's their child makes me less inclined to extend patience. They should be ready to trust their child enough to accept these things and support them even if they don't fully understand, and if they have grief they should be working through it privately and not letting their kid know the first hint of it, not joining pressure groups to prevent any sort of appropriate interventions that medicine understands to be best practice or talking to national media about how you're really worried your kid has autonomy. It is quite literally their first and final duty to provide the best care and support they can to their children, and the harms inflicted by parents who don't accept an autistic child or a transgender child or both are severe enough to make me deeply unsympathetic. That poo poo causes suicides, so I don't really care about how much grief they feel over their own expectations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
:siren: Alba get their first MSP

Ash Regan quits SNP

The National posted:

THE former SNP leadership candidate Ash Regan has joined the Alba Party.

Party leader Alex Salmond made the announcement during a speech at the Alba Party conference.

It means that Alba now have their first MSP in the Scottish Parliament.

Salmond said: "I am delighted to welcome Ash Regan to team independence.

"Her commitment to the cause of Scottish independence has never been in question, and her addition to Alba sends a powerful message about the focus and determination we bring to achieving an independent Scotland.

"Having Ash join the ALBA Party enriches our team and sharpens our focus on the immediate need for Scottish Independence.

"She brings a level of commitment and principle that is deeply admired across Scotland, and I couldn’t be more pleased to welcome her into our ranks.”

Ash Regan MSP, now leader of Alba at Holyrood, said:

“It was a distinct privilege to be elected in 2016 on an independence platform; riding the wave of optimism that the 2014 Independence referendum ignited across Scotland.

"And it has been an honour to serve the people of Scotland as an MSP and a Minister. Sadly, it has become increasingly clear that the SNP has lost its focus on Independence, the very foundation of its existence.

"I could not, in good conscience, continue to be part of a party that has drifted from its path and its commitment to achieving independence as a matter of urgency.

“Today, I am proud to take up the mantle of leadership for Alba at Holyrood and to become the first Alba Member of the Scottish Parliament.

"I do this with a clear focus on reinvigorating the cause of independence and delivering on the promise that was made to the Scottish electorate in 2016 and 2021.

"I am committed to working tirelessly to create a Scotland that leads, not follows—a Scotland that leads the way in living standards, economic resilience, and innovation.”

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
vote albalaba ah nivur tuched them weemin

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

more like alibaba, have to get their MPs on the cheap

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i didn't know they were still going lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
finally the independence thermometer is back on the table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0HqvoWqro

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is so comically evil lol. Honestly explodes my mind that this kind of insane propaganda is being defended and promoted

https://twitter.com/idf/status/1718240244129059167?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
relocate south, where we are also bombing bakeries, hospitals and apartment blocks

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The last few pages have taught me that the best way of getting around YouTube ads is to just use my brothers Family account. I would go mad at the level of tech wizardry required to get ad blockers working.

smellmycheese posted:

This is so comically evil lol. Honestly explodes my mind that this kind of insane propaganda is being defended and promoted

https://twitter.com/idf/status/1718240244129059167?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

I have to say, this looks like it's a FMV from a an awful gritty reboot of Command & Conquer.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
When the IDF makes you start siding with Hitler...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

Shut the gently caress up

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
yeah the state of israel does not represent the jewish people, despite the best efforts of the state of israel to convince the world that it does

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

I understand the anger and personally I think Israel is a disgusting colonial settler state and should never have been created in the first place, but it’s important to remember that there are a lot of Jews condemning the actions of Israel as well and conflating the two is both (actually) anti-Semitic but, ironically, also plays right into the hands of Zionists by allowing them to portray criticism of Israel as criticism of Jews.

Unless I’ve radically misread. You do not under any circumstances etc etc

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
e: wrong thread

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Monica Bellucci posted:

Do we not have a new IK to deal with this newbie troll poo poo?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Who gives a gently caress whether some jews condemn the actions of Israel or not or if it plays in to some political narrative you dislike, there's zero case for ever siding with what Hitler did.

Every jewish person on the planet could back Israel, it wouldn't change the fact you're talking about backing the loving holocaust.

How about keeping the unrelated IDF tweets to the I/P thread so we don't keep getting antisemitic freaks popping up.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mesopotamia posted:

there's zero case for ever siding with what Hitler did.

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him".

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
MB has been a good poster since joining the thread, and I’m giving the benefit of the doubt that they may be drunk or something and overwhelmed with anger at the currently ongoing genocide, and said something very awful. MB I really think you should apologise.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mesopotamia posted:

Who gives a gently caress whether some jews condemn the actions of Israel or not or if it plays in to some political narrative you dislike, there's zero case for ever siding with what Hitler did.

Every jewish person on the planet could back Israel, it wouldn't change the fact you're talking about backing the loving holocaust.

How about keeping the unrelated IDF tweets to the I/P thread so we don't keep getting antisemitic freaks popping up.

what the IDF is doing is a crime against humanity on a horrific scale and discussing the absence of any condemnation let alone action by our government is a topic worthy of discussion

also this thread is sort of a community so don't try to tell us what we can and can't discuss

some random nazi sympathiser showing up and giving their zwei reichs-pfennig isn't my loving problem

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

As a clinician working in healthcare, we often talk about parents going through grief. Yes, there's the pain of a child dying, or losing a pregnancy, but there's also the grief that comes from having a child with a disability.
See this is a great example of the disabled advocacy idea of "nothing about us without us."

This entire post frames the disabled or autistic child as almost a ghost. The walking remnants of what 'should have been.' And as an autistic person let me tell you that being treated that way is loving monstrous, whether by clinicians or by your own parents.

Parents shouldn't be encouraged to 'grieve.' Even if in practice that's not what they're being taught to do, those parents will latch on to that word and do their own reading and start allowing themselves to fixate on something that never existed instead of the human being who does.

What they should be taught to do is accept the child they do have, not mourning the imaginary one they assumed they'd have. Again, it's possible that bonding is part of the counselling process but reading through your post it's very much framed as "oh you poor things, an [insert slur here] has been inflicted on you, here's how to not feel sad" rather than "congratulations your child is alive, here's how to love and care for them."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Monica Bellucci posted:

Jakabite posted:

personally I think Israel is a disgusting colonial settler state and should never have been created in the first place,
Seriously can we loving not? Apart from having already had at least one Jewish thread regular ask for this kind of poo poo to stop, we know outsiders read this thread and I for one do not want anyone looking in and associating me with either of these shitheel opinions.

Especially the latter. Jakabite, with everything the left is trying to fight off at the moment you should know better than to post that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

People are so angry right now. And rightly so. We are being fed the most appalling propaganda by a violent heavily armed client state of the USA and being told these are tbe “good guys”. It’s flagrant bullshit and it is bound to just melt peoples heads. On whatever side of the political spectrum.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seriously can we loving not? Apart from having already had at least one Jewish thread regular ask for this kind of poo poo to stop, we know outsiders read this thread and I for one do not want anyone looking in and associating me with either of these shitheel opinions.

Especially the latter. Jakabite, with everything the left is trying to fight off at the moment you should know better than to post that.

Sorry mate but I’m not going to apologise for criticising a settler colonial state that is currently engaged in an active genocide against the people it’s spent the last century ethnically cleansing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The triangulation from Starmer on I/P really doesn't make much sense to me, clearly a symptom of advanced Blairist brain-worm infection. Despite a generally pro-Israel media establishment and a handful of loud obnoxious zionists on social media, I really don't think that reflects general public opinion. I don't think anyone is looking at what is happening now and thinking 'ah, yes, very cool and good'. What exactly does the leader of the loving Labour Party think he's got to lose by calling for at least a ceasefire, the absolute bare minimum not-poo poo take? Is the approval of a few lunatics who would never vote for him in a million years really worth losing the support of literally thousands of decent people, not to mention the entire British muslim demographic, and gleefully painting his hands with blood in the process? Mind boggling stupidity imho.

Monica Bellucci posted:

This is not on, be better.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Sorry mate but I’m not going to apologise for criticising a settler colonial state that is currently engaged in an active genocide against the people it’s spent the last century ethnically cleansing.
You can criticise its actions all you like, but saying it shouldn't exist is next loving level with everything going on right now.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

The triangulation from Starmer on I/P really doesn't make much sense to me, clearly a symptom of advanced Blairist brain-worm infection. Despite a generally pro-Israel media establishment and a handful of loud obnoxious zionists on social media, I really don't think that reflects general public opinion. I don't think anyone is looking at what is happening now and thinking 'ah, yes, very cool and good'. What exactly does the leader of the loving Labour Party think he's got to lose by calling for at least a ceasefire, the absolute bare minimum not-poo poo take? Is the approval of a few lunatics who would never vote for him in a million years really worth losing the support of literally thousands of decent people, not to mention the entire British muslim demographic, and gleefully painting his hands with blood in the process? Mind boggling stupidity imho.

I think it’s a symptom of him being fundamentally a man of the security state. He is, if nothing else, a company man who’ll always support the western security complex.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

https://skwawkbox.org/2023/10/28/weapons-firm-with-israeli-supply-deal-sponsored-labour-conference-event/

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what Jakabite said. Israel was founded both on an ethnic cleansing of Palestinians in terms of the “on the ground” establishment of it and in the wider political arena it was based on a colonialist mindset where the majority of the UN endorsed a partition plan which essentially denied Palestinians the right to self determination. Neither of those should be considered acceptable and I don’t think people should fail to criticise human rights abuses or war crimes just because the perpetrators will take offence.

It has been established and there is now a consensus that it should continue existing based on 1967 borders, but Jakabite wasn’t saying that it should be destroyed now - rather that it should never have been created.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can criticise its actions all you like, but calling for it to not exist is next loving level with everything going on right now.

I didn’t call for it to not exist. Obviously that would mean something equally as horrendous happening. I said I don’t think it should have been created in the first place as that fundamentally required ethnic cleansing. Now that it does exist I want to see a peaceful solution that gradually heals the rift between Israelis and Palestinians, allowing both to live in peace.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

This is one of the few issues he has a genuine opinion of and it's that he loves what they're doing, so he's trying to thread the needle between that and the public hating it.

Lol this probably has something to do with it too yeah

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can criticise its actions all you like, but calling for it to not exist is next loving level with everything going on right now.

Nah, gently caress Israel. Ethnostates are always lovely and should not exist. Nobody would mind an officially secular state in the middle east that welcomed Jewish immigration and settlement and protected their rights, but did so while also protecting the rights of Palestinians. The world would be significantly better off without the State of Israel as it currently exists. It's literally built on an ideology of colonialism and genocide.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
honestly being a prod in northern ireland i'm rolling my eyes out of my head at this thinking

the state of israel is established, that's happened, that's how history played out, and it has the right to exist

what nobody should have the right to do is to treat their neighbours as less than human, because that's the thing that always leads to really bad poo poo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can criticise its actions all you like, but saying it shouldn't exist is next loving level with everything going on right now.

Is it? So saying Rhodesia or South Africa or the British Raj were terrible loving things that shouldn’t have happened is bad form?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

crispix posted:

honestly being a prod in northern ireland i'm rolling my eyes out of my head at this thinking

the state of israel is established, that's happened, that's how history played out, and it has the right to exist

what nobody should have the right to do is to treat their neighbours as less than human, because that's the thing that always leads to really bad poo poo

True, but really the whole 'right to exist' thing is just silly. It does exist. No state has a 'right' to exist or not, it either does or it doesn't, and that's down to power, not legalism or philosophy.

So yes, Israel does exist. But I think it's fair to say that things would be better if it didn't, or at least didn't in the shape that it currently is.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Back from the London protest. Absolutely massive turnout so props to all who could make it. Think this might have even been bigger than the last two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maybe it's just me hallucinating posts from a previous page but I thought we'd agreed to knock the I/P debating on the head right about the time Miftan, a more universally liked poster than me, posted this:

Miftan posted:

I *really* wish you all would take it to the I/P thread, where I go if I want to read about this poo poo. and I am actively avoiding it at the moment.

As some of you know, I'm from Israel and I'm already having literal nightmares about this, so please just keep it contained to that thread, thanks.
Whether Israel should exist, or the initial land purchases were valid or not, or if we should roll back Israel's graphics driver to 1967, or 1948 or whatever isn't UK politics; and is far more complex an issue than any of us are capable of without taking the thread over for multiple, very bitter pages in which a lot of people are going to wildly misinterpret each other's points.