Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lmao i just call my main character John, as boring as that is, and if its a final fantasy type situation just every variation possible for every team mate

Johnny
Jan
Johan
Juan
Evan (i know that looks out of place but its the Welsh version of John)

Joao Cagao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I only got $70 this week. Should I buy RE8 or the RE4 remake?

They're on sale right now. You can get both. But 4 is better.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
People who don't want to fight zombies in Resident Evil, what do you want to fight exactly? I agree with the premise that parasite-The Thing zombies are still zombies and shambling mold men are also zombies, as are pretty much any of the mobs in RE8, but its a series where you fight hosed up guys who want to get you? Am I supposed to fight tax reform, or something?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

People who don't want to fight zombies in Resident Evil, what do you want to fight exactly? I agree with the premise that parasite-The Thing zombies are still zombies and shambling mold men are also zombies, as are pretty much any of the mobs in RE8, but its a series where you fight hosed up guys who want to get you? Am I supposed to fight tax reform, or something?

Super soldiers, evil scientists, weird chimeras, cults of evil chimera scientists. The RE universe is weird enough to support a lot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You already fight all of those though?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

itry posted:

Super soldiers, evil scientists, weird chimeras, cults of evil chimera scientists. The RE universe is weird enough to support a lot.

Half of those are in there. I guess I'm just not wanting to see the series turn into fighting guys with guns.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Caesar Saladin posted:

What do you guys name your characters in games? I always name them Borkus because everytime they're like "Nice to meet you, I'm Borkus." it cracks me up.

I am always Klaatu. And always whatever a game's barbarian equivalent class is. I am here to judge your world.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 28, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Half of those are in there. I guess I'm just not wanting to see the series turn into fighting guys with guns.
I have a suspicion there's a kind-of blue balls a lot of players feel about wanting to "take the fight to the source" or something and storm Umbrella HQ or w/e the "big bad" is "supposed" to be in that franchise, and feel a bit put off that after almost 30 years it's still random cops/soldiers pecking away at localized monster farms.

Y'know one of those "the media I like has to grow with me" vibes that has a lot of grown-rear end adults confused that Pokemon didn't come with them, or alternatively a lot of Star Wars fans who got big mad when it tried to.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

Best space zombies I've ever seen in a video game. Really wish they'd finish up the series.

In Dead Space 1, you board an industrial spaceship designed to tear apart planets called a planet cracker. You use industrial machinery designed to tear apart machines and use them to tear apart zombies instead.

Dead Space was cool but this + the dismemberment is why I didn't find it very scary aside from a couple of jump scares. You can't put me in a situation and tell me the only way out is to torture monsters to death with power tools and then expect me to be scared, it's just too badass.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

You already fight all of those though?

Well, yeah. But it's mostly zombie mobs.

Disco Pope posted:

I don't want that either (even though in an effort to add variety they've been adding zombies with firearms already). They could just lean hard into mutated animals and plants instead of zombies for a change, without a single mutated human in sight. Maybe add some armed commandos sprinkled in as a treat in case we're fighting a subsection of the BSAA.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Resident evil without zombies is not resident evil

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah if I'm not in the mood for zombies I'll just play something else. You don't have to be playing a Resident Evil game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The lead voice actresses aversion to the letter R in her characters own name is driving me crazy in Alan Wake 2 so I think Im getting into the zone of madness the game thinks its story is delivering (it is not, the story sucks and the musical portion is the lowpoint of the game)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
zombies have been bad for ages, people keep playing re either because they played re4 and want another good game or they played another re game before they'd played a good game and remember it fondly

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Barudak posted:

The lead voice actresses aversion to the letter R in her characters own name is driving me crazy in Alan Wake 2 so I think Im getting into the zone of madness the game thinks its story is delivering (it is not, the story sucks and the musical portion is the lowpoint of the game)

Sounds like a skill issue

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
My unpopular video game opinion is that I like zombies and never got tired of them. I played state of decay 1+2 for many many hours and thought it was fukkin dope.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Sounds like a skill issue

Yeah, youd think Remedy would be better at this.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

itry posted:

Well, yeah. But it's mostly zombie mobs.

I don't want that either (even though in an effort to add variety they've been adding zombies with firearms already). They could just lean hard into mutated animals and plants instead of zombies for a change, without a single mutated human in sight. Maybe add some armed commandos sprinkled in as a treat in case we're fighting a subsection of the BSAA.

I'm really iffy about adding sentient humans as enemies to Resident Evil, it feels kind of gross as the series, for all its horror, is weirdly wholesome. I mean, Leon became a special forces dude and Chris was a fighter pilot or whatever, so they've done war crimes, but they aren't mean or bleak games (apart from maybe 6, which feels tonally off).

You're right about mutated animals or plants (those are also in the games, as standard enemies sometimes too!), but they'd probably still be semi-sentient beasts that take 4-5 bullets, grab you and puke acid or whatever.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

There are way more games where you shoot gun guys. Resident Evil can have all the zombies it wants, it has earned them. RE4 has a bunch of enemies anyway like dogs and weird little monster guys and blind claw guys.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Shooting gun guys sucks too. Shooting in general is incredibly lame

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Khanstant posted:

Shooting gun guys sucks too. Shooting in general is incredibly lame

Games should be about acquiring swords and those swords making numbers go higher. I sincerely believe this.

However, Resident Evil has elements of collecting guns and making numbers go higher, so that's okay.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stop making me switch swords though, let me just add new ones to my existing sword to get increasingly longer and stronger swords

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Khanstant posted:

Stop making me switch swords though, let me just add new ones to my existing sword to get increasingly longer and stronger swords

A sword that works like those stackable pencils the Day Planner kids had when I was about 11 would be awesome.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
swords but like beams in super metroid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

This is the true purpose of the gunblade, you pull the trigger and that shoots one of the swords

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

You don't have to buy final fantasy because the award winning final fantasy 14 is free trial free to play up to leveelllllllllllllll69 including award wining award winning award expansions heavensblood and stormwardddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

there is no way in hell im going to play an mmo. I don't even like people in real life who I have to do a job with

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

plus you get to beat up a rock in Resident Evil 5.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rock-based lifeforms will be the next big thing in RE9. This time... the boulders punch back.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

George posted:

swords but like beams in super metroid

The Master Sword?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

there is no way in hell im going to play an mmo. I don't even like people in real life who I have to do a job with

Lucky for you the main story quest is 99% solo-friendly

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Games should be about acquiring swords and those swords making numbers go higher. I sincerely believe this.

However, Resident Evil has elements of collecting guns and making numbers go higher, so that's okay.

Replace all swords in games with halberds imo, maybe a guisarme or two, as a treat.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

Replace all swords in games with halberds imo, maybe a guisarme or two, as a treat.

yeah no. all you get is a knife. And holy god I want to buy into the seller.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just played through the Resident Evil 4 remake and that's my new benchmark for what constitutes a 7/10 game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fun shooting and neat world and entertaining story but godawful puzzles and the most bullet-spongey enemies I've ever encountered. Plus all the backtracking and pixel hunting good lord

e: I never played the original so this is my nostalgia-free take

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 29, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
godawful post

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'll admit it's in the upper echelon of wave-based shooters.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just played through the Resident Evil 4 remake and that's my new benchmark for what constitutes a 7/10 game.

how are you a 2006 and didn't play the original RE4? What where you doing in 2009?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Fun shooting and neat world and entertaining story but godawful puzzles and the most bullet-spongey enemies I've ever encountered. Plus all the backtracking and pixel hunting good lord

e: I never played the original so this is my nostalgia-free take

If RE4 remake enemies are the most bullet spongy you've had, god bless your gaming luck.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In 2009 I was playing Muramasa: The Demon Blade which coincidentally is my benchmark for 10/10 games.

I bought the original RE4 for Wii in 2007 but I wasn't in to using the wiimote and never got back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

If RE4 remake enemies are the most bullet spongy you've had, god bless your gaming luck.

I can't think of any other games where the most basic enemies take 7+ headshots to put down.