Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
never trust a blue check

or a CEO who tweets way too often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

How did you get a video of me after 3 glasses of wine, what the gently caress

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
lol that person is going all in on the generational hate train

https://twitter.com/TTEcclesBrown/status/1717820170423685177

now i see why shinagami eyes has her name in red

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

Dukberry posted:

what if I dig up

Update: I'm not taking the counter offer. BFC success story.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope the junior guy doesn’t take his counter offer, he’s aware I am leaving too and would be alone at this location which would be really tough. I find him kind of annoying to work with as he doesn’t listen that well and often just does his own thing so I’m not super keen to work with him again but it would be a huge mistake on his part to stay.

Apparently the interim manager is really giving him the full court press and the junior is a real pushover for getting steamrolled by a stronger personality. Will be interesting to see how this turns out!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dukberry posted:

Update: I'm not taking the counter offer. BFC success story.

Good call! Change is always intimidating but I predict you're going to end up super glad you jumped.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I have just had a truly horrible week (to be clear, by the standards of corporate life not like I/P atrocities).

Something very big and expensive went wrong and my team and I are part of the solution (we were not even remotely implicated in the problem, thank God). The situation is febrile with everyone up to C level (my +2; we are a quite big tech co) panicking; there is constant pressure to do everything as fast as humanly possible to avoid the situation getting worse. At the same time as working out with my team what to do to fix it, I was getting messages from the CEO-1 to write a record of who said what to whom when that had to go out fast enough to shape the internal narrative on what happened.

About halfway into the week - after 2-3 days of this - I had a bathroom break and nearly threw up. Full on hyperventilating, what the gently caress, one mistake is career-ending for me and my team, dry retching poo poo. I’ve had a lot of quite high stress jobs before this one with no problems so this came as a surprise.

Then I went out and as if nothing was wrong reassured team hey everything is fine, you’re doing a great job, hmm, please follow up on points XYZ project management stuff, Jerry! Great to see you, can you get me the numbers on impact of $tax thing. Just complete tonal whiplash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have just had a truly horrible week (to be clear, by the standards of corporate life not like I/P atrocities).

Something very big and expensive went wrong and my team and I are part of the solution (we were not even remotely implicated in the problem, thank God). The situation is febrile with everyone up to C level (my +2; we are a quite big tech co) panicking; there is constant pressure to do everything as fast as humanly possible to avoid the situation getting worse. At the same time as working out with my team what to do to fix it, I was getting messages from the CEO-1 to write a record of who said what to whom when that had to go out fast enough to shape the internal narrative on what happened.

About halfway into the week - after 2-3 days of this - I had a bathroom break and nearly threw up. Full on hyperventilating, what the gently caress, one mistake is career-ending for me and my team, dry retching poo poo. I’ve had a lot of quite high stress jobs before this one with no problems so this came as a surprise.

Then I went out and as if nothing was wrong reassured team hey everything is fine, you’re doing a great job, hmm, please follow up on points XYZ project management stuff, Jerry! Great to see you, can you get me the numbers on impact of $tax thing. Just complete tonal whiplash.

I've essentially made a career out of this and yes, sometimes you just put on the face and thats enough to get everybody re-centered including yourself.

My best advice is doing what you're doing, don't take the knee jerk shortcuts that will be offered, the C-suite rear end in a top hat "my way" bullshit almost always crumbles in a crisis in the face of competence and confidence so keep plugging along. Also most places will forgive the firefighters of making mistakes, so you probably have more safety nets than you think. That said, being the face of cleaning up a mess like this is a HUGE career accelerator.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

Sucks, I definitely have not experienced that, and it sounds terrible.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That is "I'm taking Q1 off" kind of work once it's over with.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That's why I'm struggling with the thought of switching jobs right now. I've been with my company since graduating high school. And while I can jump to a competitor for more pay and more complex work types, some have the culture where one mistake can get you fired.

(Not to mention how many would require giving up fully remote work, all the vacation time I've accrued, the best boss I've had and all the political capital I have in my division...)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lmao junior engineer is now trying to renegotiate with the new company after signing the written offer. Dude is a bit of a dum dum and is starting to piss off the hiring manager. Always a good move!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Everyone's gotta learn somehow. That's the one time I wouldn't be mad at the company for rescinding. You already accepted dude, no take-backsies!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think he tried similar shenanigans when joining the current company and got his pee pee whacked for that but still got the new job (but no changes to the contract they just didn't pull it). Manager also told him that was not acceptable to do.

Funny thing is the manager at the new job is the same manager from before lol. He's pissed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My does that manager keep trying to slam his dick in the same car door?

Well actually

priznat posted:

the junior is a real pushover for getting steamrolled by a stronger personality.

that's probably why. Certain managers LOVE their lap dogs.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

priznat posted:

I think he tried similar shenanigans when joining the current company and got his pee pee whacked for that but still got the new job (but no changes to the contract they just didn't pull it). Manager also told him that was not acceptable to do.

Funny thing is the manager at the new job is the same manager from before lol. He's pissed.

Lmao I want to be on the call between the two of them just to :munch:

Personal news, I've exhausted my tolerance (and good weather) for building decks and working on friends houses, and have fallen rear end-backwards into somehow having 3 offers to choose from. Two would keep me as an IC in engineering, both involve a substantial move to exciting (and potentially hurricane-prone) new locales. The third keeps me in Detroit (better for family and current financial situation, but I'm sick of Detroit) but would have me as a project manager for our local utility. There are a few other factors to consider, like overwork at one IC role (45-50 a week expected), and the fact that the utility PM role is not direct hire. I'd be juggling some big projects but no reports or anything, and it would be nice to get out of my current field, but I do not trust them when they say it would likely be a year later that I get reviewed for conversion to direct. They've already been dragging rear end getting me the formal offer on account of a re-org so I feel kind of sketched out about the corporate BS levels, but to be fair the hiring manager has just stepped into his role and apparently doesn't have the clout to bend the necessary VP schedules to his whim, something about all offers getting signed at once and then that's it they're done hiring til next year.

What's the thread's take on the value of a PM role on a resume? Not as good as an actual manager, better than an IC? I'm reading it like a chance to put big numbers on there and get a chance to go just about anywhere in a couple years since solar is only going up and everyone needs power, but again the BS seems strong and I've learned to never trust a corporation (thanks BFC!)

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 27, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

My does that manager keep trying to slam his dick in the same car door?

Well actually

that's probably why. Certain managers LOVE their lap dogs.

Yeah I'm a little surprised he keeps bringing him in, the guy is pretty annoying to work with as he is just not self sufficient whatsoever. If it were up to me, no I wouldn't. But other senior guys on my team like that guy as long as they can give him a set of clearly defined goals with no questions required that he can just beaver away on. Unfortunately it seems like I get saddled with supervising him and it just drives me nuts. I don't mind juniors but I do mind when they make the same mistakes or have the same questions over and over again. That really pisses me off.

Anyway not the worst person to work with but overall I wouldn't choose him. So I'm kind of fine with whichever way this drama goes tbh (rooting for him to stay and be the only person left just for the comedy factor somewhat, although I did tell him he should do what is best for his career and finances and don't worry about company loyalties).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

priznat posted:

"WHAT DID I loving TELL YOU LAST TIME???"

lmao

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

"WHAT DID I loving TELL YOU LAST TIME???"

lmao

lol yup

Just got the update - it was a "take it or leave it" and he took it, they didn't pull the offer.

It'd never be a thing for me because I'd never accept a counter when resigning anyway. Just apart from the risk having to try to reopen a signed contract is just too sketchy.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Car Hater posted:

Lmao I want to be on the call between the two of them just to :munch:

Personal news, I've exhausted my tolerance (and good weather) for building decks and working on friends houses, and have fallen rear end-backwards into somehow having 3 offers to choose from. Two would keep me as an IC in engineering, both involve a substantial move to exciting (and potentially hurricane-prone) new locales. The third keeps me in Detroit (better for family and current financial situation, but I'm sick of Detroit) but would have me as a project manager for our local utility. There are a few other factors to consider, like overwork at one IC role (45-50 a week expected), and the fact that the utility PM role is not direct hire. I'd be juggling some big projects but no reports or anything, and it would be nice to get out of my current field, but I do not trust them when they say it would likely be a year later that I get reviewed for conversion to direct. They've already been dragging rear end getting me the formal offer on account of a re-org so I feel kind of sketched out about the corporate BS levels, but to be fair the hiring manager has just stepped into his role and apparently doesn't have the clout to bend the necessary VP schedules to his whim, something about all offers getting signed at once and then that's it they're done hiring til next year.

What's the thread's take on the value of a PM role on a resume? Not as good as an actual manager, better than an IC? I'm reading it like a chance to put big numbers on there and get a chance to go just about anywhere in a couple years since solar is only going up and everyone needs power, but again the BS seems strong and I've learned to never trust a corporation (thanks BFC!)

As a former project manager, twice, PMs are not real managers. If you like gannt charts and spreadsheets then it’s right up your alley, but you’ll look forward to doing engineering tasks as a special treat every now and then.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Tnuctip posted:

If you like gannt charts and spreadsheets

OK, but have you considered:

https://i.imgur.com/xcQtB3P.mp4

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I would kill for a very solid PM who doesn’t mind chasing and yelling at people so this tracks.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My manager said I’m welcome back if my new job doesn’t work out. The gesture was sorta nice, he said I’d take a pay cut because I’ll have to start one level down from where I’m at.

gently caress me if I have to go walking back to the metrology career field for the second time, I want out for a long time

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

That sounds like a super passive aggressive gently caress you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
We're hiring a new lawyer.
Prior to this, I did all the first round interviews. Anyone who fucken nails the interview needs a quick google to see whats up. They've had too much practice.
My cofounder is taking this over and he's a good dude, trusting, used to the quality candidates I pass along.
Both he and another lawyer interview a candidate, the candidate nails it. They're ready to make an offer but he says to me "hey just check this person out a bit before I send the offer today"

30 minutes of checking reveals:
- He claims he's filed trademarks but there's not a single trademark with his name on it.
- The guy founded and ran a 2020 Reelect Donald Trump Super PAC where he pocketed ~75% of the money raised by the Super PAC.

I loving hate hiring. The only thing worse is job hunting.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 28, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
On further discussion with my boss today, I have several new thoughts about the whole RTO fiasco.

1) I think it is the corporate overlords trying to enforce additional will on the local company's relatively relaxed culture. Part of my reason for thinking this is because if the managers fail to explain why their workers didn't hit the RTO requirement, the managers themselves are held responsible and penalized. This prevents our general culture of "letting it slide and not sweating the small poo poo" from ignoring the edict. You can't just keep a lax culture when you get punished by upper corporate for letting people be relaxed. Our mothership is... very corporate. Their equivalent of my department back in Switzerland literally has to wear actual business attire (not even biz casual) under their lab coats. Their dress code does not distinguish between customer-facing and "getting sweaty in Tyvek." They're kinda nuts.

2) It's also a secret crackdown on sick time. Because only sick days that are entered into the system and documented in Workday get discounted from the spreadsheet / RTO spreadsheet, you'll get dinged for unregistered sick time. Historically, we just WFH or go out of office when we're sick and only record things if we're going to be out for a while. This would crack down on it. Which brings me to my next point...

3) Sick time got seriously cracked down on HARD. We only get 3 days of protected sick leave now, and the 5 days of COVID leave are gone in the system moving forward. Need to be out more than three days in a year for illness? Start using your vacation days. The three days used to be no big deal because everyone unofficially just took more time. You can't do that if they're tracking consecutive days out of the office and average days in office.

4) On top of that, there's another loving petty-rear end shitsucker in my group somewhere causing trouble. Part of how this came up is that my boss's boss received a report from someone (refused to say who) that I had been out of the office for sixteen straight workdays, and that clearly I was abusing WFH. I ended up sitting down with him and my direct boss today and showed them my phone. Here's me on Day 0, my last day in the office. It's a photo I took of someone's badge before I trained them on facility access requirements. Day 1 I have no photos, nor for Day 2, because I was just sick but still testing negative. Here are 12 straight work days of positive covid tests that I photographed. Here is Thursday (Work Day #15), my first negative test. Here is Friday, Day 16, my second negative test. Now here's a photo taken on the next Monday at 12:28PM, during my lunch break, of me trying to nap in a Quiet Room because I was still running out of energy really quickly and wasn't fully recovered, but was back in the office.

Now, I did make a mistake here that they pointed out. I reported to my management that I was out sick and kept them informed, and I contacted the company health department so they could do contact tracing / etc, but I hadn't put my illness into Workday. So, it didn't count, blah blah, and the system counted all those days as absenteeism. The end result of this, though, is that because I'd have been out more than 5 Covid Days + 3 Sick Days in my 16-day COVID streak, I need to pay back 8 vacation days to account for the time I was out of the office. When I pointed out that I was still testing positive on RATs and thus was definitely able to infect people, they reiterated that the mothership policy is that you can be out for five days from your first positive test, and that there is no consideration for "are still symptomatic" or "are still testing positive." They've asked me to hold onto 8 days of vacation time while they file all this, with the expectation that HR is going to come back and tell me I owe them 8 days.

I'll do it again in a heartbeat if I get sick, though. I'm not going to infect my coworkers. I work in a goddamned healthcare company; the idea of coming to work with COVID or RSV or Preschooler Plague of any sort is asinine to me.

Oh and I still don't have a desk to RTO in the first place. :v:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 28, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

Now, I did make a mistake here that they pointed out.
I reported to my management that I was out sick and
kept them informed, and
I contacted the company health department so
they could do contact tracing / etc, but
I hadn't put my illness into Workday.

You gently caress. You reprobatious scallywag. How DARE you.

Corporate Megathread: FINE. I'll put my illness into Workday.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

You gently caress. You reprobatious scallywag. How DARE you.

Corporate Megathread: FINE. I'll put my illness into Workday.

Yeah what can I say? Tie me to a post and whip me until I like it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

Yeah what can I say? Tie me to a post and whip me until I like it.

im gonna lick every tube that dispenses stuff and tell you 4 business days after i did it

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Weren't you working during this period? Just staying home because you were still testing + on rats (so still leaking virus like a motherfucker)?

I know it's a cushy job, but if they actually dock 8 days I would be done putting in any real effort there. Feels like companies are trying to force employees to work sick because people are sick "too much" now. But they will make it worse with this sort of policy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Baddog posted:

Weren't you working during this period? Just staying home because you were still testing + on rats (so still leaking virus like a motherfucker)?

I know it's a cushy job, but if they actually dock 8 days I would be done putting in any real effort there. Feels like companies are trying to force employees to work sick because people are sick "too much" now. But they will make it worse with this sort of policy.

Yeah, I would continue not coming in while infectious and if they make me take it as vacation, I just wouldn't work those days. gently caress that nonsense.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Yep. I see it as exactly that sort of short-sighted, stupid policy where they think they're losing productivity from people being out sick WFH. Motherfuckers, just wait and see what real lost productivity looks like when you start charging vacation days for being out ill.

Edit: And yes, I was working remotely for the majority of that sick time once I was functional again. I occasionally had to go rest because jesus christ COVID sucks your energy but I was as productive as I could be given the circumstances. :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 28, 2023

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think it's time to start leaving bags of flaming dogshit on your boss' desk.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty certain that requiring you to take vacation when you were working is a violation of CA law.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sundae if you were doing work on those days and they require you to file a vacation day that is a Department of Labor-type complaint. If your management knew you were working and didn't tell you to log off they can't go back and tell you that you need to lose vacation days.

That might be a "torch yourself over a few vacation days" kind of move but it's not legal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Do it and see if they're dumb enough to legally retaliate a load bearing employee out of the job, watch the whole thing fall over from a safe distance afterwards.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Midjack posted:

Do it and see if they're dumb enough to legally retaliate a load bearing employee out of the job, watch the whole thing fall over from a safe distance afterwards.

I promise you the Swiss overlords do not care.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Midjack posted:

I don't usually post on this side of the argument, but the premise of the "Corporate Megathread", does imply that yes, they very much would be willing to do extremely unproductive things if it means fulfilling bureaucratic directives. It's the key factor that keeps the business world in flux by slowly killing the largest corporations while their lean small competitors attack them with an efficiency that mere economies of scale and regulatory capture cannot defend against.

In short, don't bet against corporate bureaucracy when your career is on the line.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fair enough; I've done the right thing at high personal cost more than once so I'm willing to launch resumes and burn the motherfucker down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Midjack posted:

Fair enough; I've done the right thing at high personal cost more than once so I'm willing to launch resumes and burn the motherfucker down.

Oh sure, I agree, that's why I left the corporate world behind and I'm a teacher now, but I don't give advice that might lead to that in this thread!

In the end I was too committed to Getting Stuff Done.