Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Apologies if you’ve told me before but remind me where in western Switzerland you are?

He posts from the CLT Centurion lounge before the latter two legs of MSY>CLT>LHR>GVA

I live in Lausanne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This is a kind of niche new skymiles program question - they're moving to rear end-in-seat miles without bonuses for fare class etc, but are they also getting rid of the 500 mile segment minimum? Like am I going to be earning 280 miles for my flight to philly rather than 500? segment warriors get no respect

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is a kind of niche new skymiles program question - they're moving to rear end-in-seat miles without bonuses for fare class etc, but are they also getting rid of the 500 mile segment minimum? Like am I going to be earning 280 miles for my flight to philly rather than 500? segment warriors get no respect

I haven't seen anything that notates that one way or the other.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

I haven't seen anything that notates that one way or the other.

Okay, that’s what I thought. just checking to see if I missed something. I’ll ask!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you talking about million miler qualification? If so, I think that's right.

If you're talking about annual elite qualification or redeemable miles earned (towards award flights), that's all based on the price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

Are you talking about million miler qualification? If so, I think that's right.

If you're talking about annual elite qualification or redeemable miles earned (towards award flights), that's all based on the price.

I'm talking about Million Miler qualification.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks! I'm heading on to San Diego but will need to head to our Seattle office sooner or later and will hit you up.

Likewise if you or anyone else ends up in western Switzerland let me know and I'll get the beers in.

SD resident here, let me know if you need recommendations for food/POI/etc

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trying to book a reservation to Yakumo Saryo in Tokyo and I tried doing it through their partnership with My Concierge, but it only lets me put in a single date and time and I got to wait 48 hours for them to tell me "no that time doesn't work but we can't tell you what will so you have to pick another time and wait 48 hours and hope that one does!"

So I said gently caress that and called my credit card concierge to ask them to call in Japanese and talk to a human for me. They were like "Okay we'll do that but first we filled out the My Concierge page again for you and we also sent them an email. We will call as soon as they are open to make sure we have the best chance of getting you a reservation," and I'm just listening to that thinking "Oh man, I can't think of a better way to piss off a Japanese business than to contact them 4 times about the same thing and act super impatient and pushy about it. I'm totally hosed for this trip and I'll be lucky if they don't blacklist me."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 27, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

Trying to book a reservation to Yakumo Saryo in Tokyo and I tried doing it through their partnership with My Concierge, but it only lets me put in a single date and time and I got to wait 48 hours for them to tell me "no that time doesn't work but we can't tell you what will so you have to pick another time and wait 48 hours and hope that one does!"

So I said gently caress that and called my credit card concierge to ask them to call in Japanese and talk to a human for me. They were like "Okay we'll do that but first we filled out the My Concierge page again for you and we also sent them an email. We will call as soon as they are open to make sure we have the best chance of getting you a reservation," and I'm just listening to that thinking "Oh man, I can't think of a better way to piss off a Japanese business than to contact them 4 times about the same thing and act super impatient and pushy about it. I'm totally hosed for this trip and I'll be lucky if they don't blacklist me."

I have never once thought to try and use any credit card / 'free' concierge type thing because I just assumed it's all useless. People are expecting the Hollywood-style omniscient dude who knows a dude who knows a dudette to help you get the thing you, one of 100000 credit card holders, wants.

(sorry though, that sucks, that place looks cool...)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

I have never once thought to try and use any credit card / 'free' concierge type thing because I just assumed it's all useless. People are expecting the Hollywood-style omniscient dude who knows a dude who knows a dudette to help you get the thing you, one of 100000 credit card holders, wants.

(sorry though, that sucks, that place looks cool...)

It didn't work out, but the request was less "I want you to call your cousin who knows a guy who can get me in" and more "They won't talk to me over the phone except in Japanese - can you have someone who speaks Japanese call and ask for a reservation?"

I've heard the best thing to do is have your 5 star hotel's concierge call on your behalf, but I don't have that because I'm not staying at a 5 star hotel.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Concierge in Japan is a real thing….

Most places that really want to be exclusive will only take calls in Japanese and will not accept calls from hotels or concierge services.

Also I’ve had weird luck with credit card concierge. Got a client into French Laundry at prime time on Friday. Good stuff at a few other spots.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 28, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Amex got me a table tomorrow at an 8-seat restaurant that was full when my girlfriend called. First time I've tried using it for restaurants.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ya it’s really not bad and worth a shot

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did a Hail Mary for the very last night in Japan and oh gently caress

quote:

[ Yakumo Saryo ] Please complete payment to make your reservation.

:aaaaa:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

The Japanese concierge fears the American tourist.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

Have fun that place is cool

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I stand corrected about my bad / wrong concierge opinions

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

I stand corrected about my bad / wrong concierge opinions

I think skepticism is warranted but they do occasionally work as noted earlier. It's one of those things that is worth a try for special or unique places because the cost is low (part of your annual fee) and the worst they can say is no.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

and Japan works different. It just does.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KillHour posted:

[ Yakumo Saryo ]

Why aren't people aged under 20 allowed? Is that a normal cutoff in Japan?

My brain is telling me it's too good and their malleable brains will be damaged by the flavours

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Why aren't people aged under 20 allowed? Is that a normal cutoff in Japan?

My brain is telling me it's too good and their malleable brains will be damaged by the flavours

Legal drinking age in Japan is 20, so it's probably because they serve alcohol with the meal. The cutoff for tea service is 15, and that's probably just to avoid loud kids or whatever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just FYI - that My Concierge Japan site charged me a 15% service charge(!) to make the reservation through them. I could have maybe had my credit card call again to try to get the same date since I know it was open, or tried to call in my terrible broken Japanese, but I didn't want to gently caress around with it considering how much the entire trip cost. Still, that's a hell of a foreigner tax. The site omakase.in only charges like $3 / person for the restaurants in their network.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Last call for the JetBlue and Alaska status matches for Delta elites.

What a stupidly generous promo—JetBlue has comped me 4 free helicopter transfers with Blade and Mint Certificates to upgrade on any of their routes.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

Last call for the JetBlue and Alaska status matches for Delta elites.

What a stupidly generous promo—JetBlue has comped me 4 free helicopter transfers with Blade and Mint Certificates to upgrade on any of their routes.

On Alaska, you have to get their CC though, right? By end of year? Not sure I need another CC…

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

movax posted:

On Alaska, you have to get their CC though, right? By end of year? Not sure I need another CC…

Same for JetBlue.

...And Barclays denied me for that card.

Jerks.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

Same for JetBlue.

...And Barclays denied me for that card.

Jerks.

I'm worried about being denied too. Barclays is very manual and my credit aging report is not... great.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

fun iphone bug: the little lock screen notification for boarding passes doesn’t correctly adjust for daylight savings time changes. i was worried for a sec this morning that my flight had been moved up by an hour

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

fun iphone bug: the little lock screen notification for boarding passes doesn’t correctly adjust for daylight savings time changes. i was worried for a sec this morning that my flight had been moved up by an hour

I’m glad I read this post before checking my own flight info, I totally would have panicked.

Fayetteville/Bentonville today for some UArk and Walmart adjacent stuff, I’m definitely going to get into the catfish hole tonight

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

e: wrong thread

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 6, 2023

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

e: wrong thread x2, jesus christ

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 6, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pmchem posted:

Yep, same — I’m convinced I have lost a hour in my layover here in Sydney, but we are also about 40 minutes early.

I know KAYAK had a bug ages ago where reservations you input prior to DST would not adjust when DST occurred, so notifications were all hosed up.

The solution, as always, is to abolish time changes. I don’t think I care which way, just get rid of them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anybody hosed around with Thunderbolt 4 laptop docking stations yet? Ideally something that works great with apple laptops and dual monitors.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I really, really want docking stations to be less complicated but it's always been disappointing.

In other news,

https://x.com/NoCapFights/status/1719642482341011718?s=20

Am I actually supposed to ask before I recline my seat... 10 degrees? I don't think I've ever asked or even complained if they person in front did their leaving me little to no leg room.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Has anybody hosed around with Thunderbolt 4 laptop docking stations yet? Ideally something that works great with apple laptops and dual monitors.

Yea, and it didn't go well... I ended up having to get monitors that supported video over USBC, and connect those directly to the mac. Whenever I tried via the docking station, I'd only get 30hz refresh rate out of one monitor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gucci Loafers posted:

I really, really want docking stations to be less complicated but it's always been disappointing.

In other news,

https://x.com/NoCapFights/status/1719642482341011718?s=20

Am I actually supposed to ask before I recline my seat... 10 degrees? I don't think I've ever asked or even complained if they person in front did their leaving me little to no leg room.

A number of people flip out and start punching the back of the seat if it comes back a millimeter when you sit down in it. At this point I wish they'd just take reclining out entirely.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
My seat sags back mid flight and they always wake my rear end up for landing because of this, robbing me of an extra 15 minutes of shut eye. Remove the recline

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Some cultures* are civilized and will ask the person behind for permission or let them know in advance if they are going to recline.

*old Japanese guy on the Shinkansen and the seat wasn't even close to me

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Midjack posted:

A number of people flip out and start punching the back of the seat if it comes back a millimeter when you sit down in it. At this point I wish they'd just take reclining out entirely.

Prior the pandemic I had almost over a hundred domestic flights and not even once have I had a silent protestor or anyone complain about me leaning back... 15 degrees?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I get annoyed if you yeet your seat back in to my laptop screen without warning but at worst I’m going to seethe and give you dirty looks as we deplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm as antisocial and introverted as the next goon, but if I am occasioned to be in coach, checking with the person behind me before I slightly recline seems like the most reasonable thing to do. I also check with people behind me at concerts because I'm 6'5" and want to make sure they can still see when I stand up.