Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the junji ito book about getting a cat is really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Hideshi Hino has a unique art style. It looks like if an extremely talented grade schooler was asked to draw the most disgusting and horrifying poo poo they could think of. Give Panorama of Hell a shot if you haven't read it.

I respect Kazuo Umezu and a lot of his art is great, but the actual plots are very weak. I think my favorite of his was Kami no Hidarite, Akuma no Migite. Not as long as Drifting Classroom and I'm pretty sure it's episodic so if you're not feeling a story, you might not lose much by just skipping it.

I'll try to think about other horror recs. Horror poo poo (Junji Itou in particular) was how I got started reading manga.

As an aside (and I will try to be brief because I find myself not shutting the gently caress up about it in the Games horror thread), if you like Junji Itou and are looking for a turn-based horror roguelike with retro graphics (and are tolerant of some jank), check out World of Horror.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
A lot of Hino's work suffers from being officially translated and typeset back in the late eighties / early nineties, but if you can lean into how over the top everything is and aren't bothered by all the repulsive imagery, I think you'll get a big Halloween flavored kick out of it.

edit: Drifting Classroom was so ridiculous, lmao. Minor spoilers:

Don't even get me started on Umezu's Fourteen.

Orb Crabmelt has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Oct 28, 2023

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Witches, by Daisuke Igurashi, is beautiful and short, and a sufficient Mood Match for the season

i remember Dragon Head being drat unsettling

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Whirling posted:

drat I got like four people in this thread to read that manga, I'm glad

Make it at least 5. It was great read - like one of the most emotionally affecting things I've read in a while. The author has such wonderfully effective descriptions of depression, loneliness, comfort, etc, and Makio's introversion really hit home especially hard.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kit Walker posted:

What’s a good Halloween season manga to read? I’d be open to anything from a cerebral supernatural thriller to some decent schlocky slasher

Dorohedoro is the most Halloween vibes manga ever.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

Witches, by Daisuke Igurashi, is beautiful and short, and a sufficient Mood Match for the season

Thanks for the reminder to read this. I just started and it's already fascinating

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Dorohedoro is the most Halloween vibes manga ever.

Entire society of people with masks even

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

thinking about that bit in dorohedoro where Fujita gets devil cable tv and it has like 100 different channels dedicated to various horror genres. truly the world of sorcerers is a better one than our own

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've watched the first 5 episodes of Pluto and there's a lot to like. It's refreshing to watch an animated show that takes it's characters and the situations they're in seriously. Each episode is close to an hour long so there's plenty of time too tell side stories, and it takes it's time to reveal the motivations of the main players in the mystery.

The animation itself isn't anything special, but the character designs are cool if you're familiar with the show from the eighties and recognise the inspirations Unfortunately a lot of the CGI used doesn't blend particularly well.

Some times it's hard to understand the psychology of the robots if you're expecting them to be like most other sci fi stories. It's interesting to see them treated the way this author does.

Definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Pluto has some issues like leaving some unnecessary plot holes open, even though it's adapting the whole run of the manga. Still an incredible watch though.

It's pretty ironic that Pluto was written as Iraq War commentary, only to be released by Netflix in the middle of the Al Aqsa Flood.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Ugh I keep wandering into stuff on mangadex where the translators upscale the original manga raws with AI, awful

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Whirling posted:

Ugh I keep wandering into stuff on mangadex where the translators upscale the original manga raws with AI, awful

There's also so much machine translated poo poo there these days. Real bad feel to see a decent manga that suddenly shifts to a really stilted transition.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Srice posted:

There's also so much machine translated poo poo there these days. Real bad feel to see a decent manga that suddenly shifts to a really stilted transition.

Yeah that poo poo blows. There are some people who will at least proofread and edit it so it's not too terrible, but a lot of them will just cut and paste and call it a day even though it's barely comprehensible and probably completely wrong. Some real "I will beat a rod till...a tank empties" energy out there

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

RIP all TL notes :(

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Heartbreaking when the series you follow is being officially released one-third of a chapter every two weeks on some app while the scanlations read like a robot having an aneurysm.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I just read translations in spanish instead, that way I'm learning a foreign language while reading manga and my proficiency level is not high enough that I would detect sentences that don't quite sound natural.

Now of course you might ask why I don't just read the mangas in the original japanese anyway. Well, turns out, I'm a loving idiot.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

January 6 Survivor posted:

I just read translations in spanish instead, that way I'm learning a foreign language while reading manga and my proficiency level is not high enough that I would detect sentences that don't quite sound natural.

Now of course you might ask why I don't just read the mangas in the original japanese anyway. Well, turns out, I'm a loving idiot.

I hope, for your sake, Spanish translations have moved on from being translated from the English ones, but I read enough Spanish as of 2010 to be pretty good at sniping people who were translating me and it was absurdly common.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1720821306361520278?s=20

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Happy birthday to a legend

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Oh yeah. Gundam… and those other shows.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Xabungle is so good.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Simply must give props to the timelessly epic Zero Mecha: Xerbuligeon :worship:

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Finished Ideon recently and it so drat good

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
watched Mirai tonight, pretty good

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Last AOT dropped

Really feels like the author is saying fascism is inevitable and the only way out of it is genocide.

At least the ending fights were cool

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thank you for watching a mass murder for our sake

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thought someone mentioned the author twealed the ending and was hoping for something less aqful. Joke's on me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This man has done more psychological damage to Japanese youth than American bomber command.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Thought someone mentioned the author twealed the ending and was hoping for something less aqful. Joke's on me

So they didn't include the addendum, huh?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

Last AOT dropped

Really feels like the author is saying fascism is inevitable and the only way out of it is genocide.

At least the ending fights were cool

Haven't watched Final_v3_last.mkv, but seems to me the author says the genocide didn't in the end help at all. Hope they cut a bit of the dialoguing though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Attack on Titan takes an "ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practicioner" line in regards to Titan powers. Becoming a titan is instrumentalizing yourself in the interests of imperialism, and it's not a coincidence that once the Eldians embrace Titan powers as their path to victory they end up turning into a fascist ethnostate.

In the addendum that was tacked on to the end of the manga Eren's culling of all life doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of history. It merely buys Paradis decades or a century or so before they end up being wiped out in some future conflict. Eventually enough time passes that the tree where Eren's head was buried grows into a massive Redwood-sized monstrosity, awaiting a boy in an overgrown post-apocalyptic Paradis to rediscover the Titan worm and restart the historical process all over again.

Ultimately the true "evil" of AoT is the dialectical process of history recreating conflict for common yet esoteric reasons. Nobody is aware of the full scope of history and can't recognize its causal forces, but Eren can, and what makes him a villain is that he chose to embrace the dialectic of war in favor of extermination instead of using his powers to realize a negotiated settlement with the wider world (which there were opportunities to do in the plot). It's something Eren is categorically incapable of doing because he was raised in an environment where every obstacle to his interests was an absolute enemy which needed to be overcome with absolute force. His vision of the world based on Armin's book is a socially empty space into which Eren could insert meaning by claiming it as his own, but once they breach containment and realize that they're a small part of a wider human world the prospect of having to deal with social reality drives Eren to despair.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I hadn’t watched the last…uh, season? of AOT because I read ahead about the ending and it sounded dumb as gently caress. I might get around to finishing the watch at some point but I’m still really disappointed that everything after the timeskip sucked and went in a really stupid direction

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Attack on Titan takes an "ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practicioner" line in regards to Titan powers. Becoming a titan is instrumentalizing yourself in the interests of imperialism, and it's not a coincidence that once the Eldians embrace Titan powers as their path to victory they end up turning into a fascist ethnostate.

In the addendum that was tacked on to the end of the manga Eren's culling of all life doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of history. It merely buys Paradis decades or a century or so before they end up being wiped out in some future conflict. Eventually enough time passes that the tree where Eren's head was buried grows into a massive Redwood-sized monstrosity, awaiting a boy in an overgrown post-apocalyptic Paradis to rediscover the Titan worm and restart the historical process all over again.

Ultimately the true "evil" of AoT is the dialectical process of history recreating conflict for common yet esoteric reasons. Nobody is aware of the full scope of history and can't recognize its causal forces, but Eren can, and what makes him a villain is that he chose to embrace the dialectic of war in favor of extermination instead of using his powers to realize a negotiated settlement with the wider world (which there were opportunities to do in the plot). It's something Eren is categorically incapable of doing because he was raised in an environment where every obstacle to his interests was an absolute enemy which needed to be overcome with absolute force. His vision of the world based on Armin's book is a socially empty space into which Eren could insert meaning by claiming it as his own, but once they breach containment and realize that they're a small part of a wider human world the prospect of having to deal with social reality drives Eren to despair.

I don't remember this epilogue from the manga.
Isn't the last panel Mikasa holding his severed head giving it a smooch?
Anyways the reading on AOT was: conflict brings about more conflict, but nukes are worse.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't remember this epilogue from the manga.
Isn't the last panel Mikasa holding his severed head giving it a smooch?
Anyways the reading on AOT was: conflict brings about more conflict, but nukes are worse.

People hated, misinterpreted, or were confused by that ending, so Isayama tacked on an addendum with extra pages to spell out what he meant.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that where the Einstein Hitler meme comes from?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl posted:

Is that where the Einstein Hitler meme comes from?

Yeah that was pre-addendum. The "thank you for being Hitler" interpretation doesn't make sense knowing that Eldian civilization is doomed.

Of course, I don't really buy that Eren was acting out of concern for his people at all, and the digressions from their visit to the continent spell it all out. It's made clear throughout that Eren is an unreliable narrator, to the point that he literally manipulates peoples' memories of him so that they interpret him in the best possible way. Armin is the only one who remembers Eren in his most pathetic state. Eren isn't motivated to kill all other life on the planet out of any higher calling for the nation or anything, he resents the world for denying him absolute freedom.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Welp, looks like I'm going back to paradis

E: whatever happened to the prequel comic? With the kids who survived getting eaten

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

That was the ending that had goons in a big tanty like five years ago or whatever lol?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Has it been five years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sure as hell fuckin feels like it the way they staggered the final chapter. what a way to milk a franchise.