Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can definitely do quite a bit better than the 3600 these days. If you want the cheapest options, you can do an in-socket upgrade to a 5600X3D or 5800X3D. You'll be set for a few more years, probably. The alternative would be a full platform swap to AM5 (which also requires DDR5 memory) or LGA1700. I think the 5800X3D is the play here: https://www.microcenter.com/product/674511/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-vermeer-34ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-cooler-not-included

But if you want to save some money, the 5600X3D will be just fine too in many cases while costing $90 less. These processors will work with your current motherboard and memory. Just make sure you update the bios before swapping processors.

The alternative I'd recommend is this 7700X bundle at Micro Center: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

It would also upgrade you to 32GB of memory while giving you a more modern platform with faster PCIe support, though this board doesn't come with PCIe Gen 5, nor does it come with too many m.2 slots.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can definitely do quite a bit better than the 3600 these days. If you want the cheapest options, you can do an in-socket upgrade to a 5600X3D or 5800X3D. You'll be set for a few more years, probably. The alternative would be a full platform swap to AM5 (which also requires DDR5 memory) or LGA1700. I think the 5800X3D is the play here: https://www.microcenter.com/product/674511/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-vermeer-34ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-cooler-not-included

But if you want to save some money, the 5600X3D will be just fine too in many cases while costing $90 less. These processors will work with your current motherboard and memory. Just make sure you update the bios before swapping processors.

The alternative I'd recommend is this 7700X bundle at Micro Center: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

It would also upgrade you to 32GB of memory while giving you a more modern platform with faster PCIe support, though this board doesn't come with PCIe Gen 5, nor does it come with too many m.2 slots.

Thank you for the well thought-out reply! I appreciate it and will take one of these options.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So as I begin to gear up to finally replace my war-horse after nearly nine god drat years of faithful service, my main question is: what remains the best retailer for putting all this poo poo together? Is Newegg still king, or have they fallen by the wayside? Is it just a matter of shopping around and sourcing from many different places now? Are there other, smaller retailers I don't know about?

This is from the perspective of shopping from the Pacific NW in the USA.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You just kinda shop around these days unless you're near a Microcenter (you aren't). Pcpartpicker makes that easy, at least.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Gaming laptop's motherboard died after 2 years (no data loss, thankfully), realized I basically never take it off my desk anyways and I should be using a desktop instead, and started messing around with one of the build guides on PCPartPicker. This is going to be my first time building a PC myself; this is exciting and hopefully I don't screw it up.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? does "a two hour drive" count as near?
What are you using the system for? Gaming and basic office/web stuff
What's your budget? $1500-ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1080p/60hz dual monitors; aiming for comfortably running FFXIV/BG3 on high settings at 60 FPS (or Starfield/Armored Core 6 smoothly on non-potato graphics)

First draft of the part list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($285.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 ZERO DARK 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Silicon Power UD85 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($77.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *PowerColor Red Dragon OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H5 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 23.8" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Redragon DEVARAIAS K556 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1399.85

Any glaring issues/goofs? (The i5-13600KF might be overkill, may go with the cheaper i5-13500 or an AMD instead.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Helter Skelter posted:

You just kinda shop around these days unless you're near a Microcenter (you aren't). Pcpartpicker makes that easy, at least.

All right, cool. I know the shape of what I want to actually get (mobo that can support at least two M.2 SSDs + a graphics card, 32GB of RAM, nice fat system drive, up to date CPU + GPU, etc) so now it's just a matter of deciding on individual components (f.ex, Geforce 4060 v. 4070, precise CPU according to my needs, new case vs. recycling my current one, precise PSU required, all that).

Time to hit up PCPP, read some reviews over the coming month and come up with something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm working on moving everything into my new case. The case has a fan hub with a Sata connector to attach to the power supply. I've got a sata daisy chain connecting my PSU to my SSD and HDD but it has one extra connector. Would I be okay connecting my fan hub to the daisy chain or am I better off using a second sata connector directly from the fan hub to my power supply?

For reference. Fan hub connector in my hand, daisy chain to the left. Please don't mind the cable mess.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
My strong intuition backed up by a quick Google suggests it'll be totally fine. SSDs barely sip power, HDDs aren't that hungry and 12cm fans suck about 4W of juice, and one SATA cable can provide about 54W of power so unless you have a stupid amount of fans it'll be fine.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

You are basically in the exact niche for Sapphire Rapids Workstation (Xeon-W). Other posters have chimed in with specific vendor recommendations, I just thought I'd say that Emerald Rapids (Sapphire Rapid's successor) is coming out on December 14. The cores are similar, but they've increased L3 cache per core from 1.875MB to 5MB which is a comically large increase (the 60 core model now has 300MB of L3 cache). Might be worth the short wait if you're going to drop a hundred grand on Xeon-W desktops.

Also, total sidebar from the previous page, but laffo what the gently caress. The hot new strat in workstations is going to be running the entire OS from the L3 cache, I suppose.

I was noticing that when comparing the 12xxx series to the 13xxx series for Cores; I guess Intel actually is just focusing on absolutely honking huge L2 and L3 caches these days.

Butterfly Valley posted:

My strong intuition backed up by a quick Google suggests it'll be totally fine. SSDs barely sip power, HDDs aren't that hungry and 12cm fans suck about 4W of juice, and one SATA cable can provide about 54W of power so unless you have a stupid amount of fans it'll be fine.

Also, yeah. M2 SSDs use so little power that we're back to just plugging them into boards and having them draw power that way. SATA SSDs use marginally more. I think you'll be fine with your current rigging, Arc Hammer, unless you're trying to power a watercooling motor off a sata connector or something equally wild/dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thank you! Fans are running just fine and everything turned on properly first try.

The beauty of following instructions.

Can't really get a good shot with the reflective glass panel but man the cable management is so much simpler when the back of the case has the extra room.

Once I can splurge on a 40XX card this thing is gonna be an even better beast than it is now.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 28, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

As another sidebar, speaking of that image: I guess the glass side panel is just de rigeur these days, huh. Pretty much every case option I've looked at seems to have that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Family friend needs a new PC for work. Lots of excel, chrome, etc windows open at once. They want it to be paired with a 34 inch 3440x1440 monitor.

The answer is extremely likely going to be “prebuilt” but the question is which (especially because it appears that many motherboard-video-out ports max out at an insufficient resolution)

Microcenter nearby: yeah, though the person im planning this out for is 3 hours away. I’m visiting home in a few weeks, so there’s always the option of her waiting until I deliver it.

Purpose, resolution: MS Suite office productivity, plenty of multitasking and chrome tabs firing at once, 3440x1440. No 3D/rendering/photoshop/gaming.

Budget: “no budget” (let’s be reasonable though)

Special asks: at least 4 USB ports, though a dongle could work. Windows as an OS. Smaller footprint preferable, but doesn’t need to be “portable”.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SpaceDrake posted:

As another sidebar, speaking of that image: I guess the glass side panel is just de rigeur these days, huh. Pretty much every case option I've looked at seems to have that.

For practical purposes it's very handy to have a clear view of the motherboard to make sure everything is plugged in properly. Plus with manufacturers slapping RTB onto everything its just another way to show off your technicolor lightshow.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

buglord posted:

Family friend needs a new PC for work. Lots of excel, chrome, etc windows open at once. They want it to be paired with a 34 inch 3440x1440 monitor.

The answer is extremely likely going to be “prebuilt” but the question is which (especially because it appears that many motherboard-video-out ports max out at an insufficient resolution)

Microcenter nearby: yeah, though the person im planning this out for is 3 hours away. I’m visiting home in a few weeks, so there’s CC dongle could work. Windows as an OS. Smaller footprint preferable, but doesn’t need to be “portable”.

What have you seen that make you think that integrated graphics / motherboard video out ports don't support 3440x1440? As far as I know, Intel integrated graphics and their associated motherboard outputs have supported 4k for more than a decade now, since the Core i5-3570k and you can just go buy any Dell desktop with an i7 and sufficient RAM and have a great machine for the job.

Edit: to be clear, 3440x1440 is lower than 4k and should be good to go with any computer less than a decade old over display port or newer computers over HDMI.

I was driving 3440x1440 displays off of corporate laptops with integrated graphics ages ago on Haswell.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Me and my butterfingers tried to use an M.2 SSD reader to pull files off my old computer's SSD, and (a) dropped the tiny screw meant to hold the SSD in place on the reader twice and (b) eventually figured out that the reader was a bee's dick too small for the SSD to fit in it. So this is a good portent for my ability to build a PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Fractal Design and Be Quiet still make cases that have metal side panel options if you don't want a glass one for some reason.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

Me and my butterfingers tried to use an M.2 SSD reader to pull files off my old computer's SSD, and (a) dropped the tiny screw meant to hold the SSD in place on the reader twice and (b) eventually figured out that the reader was a bee's dick too small for the SSD to fit in it. So this is a good portent for my ability to build a PC.

Don't worry, I had the entire computer assembled then while trying to plug in the case's frontside usb cable I hosed it up so bad I bent over all the pins on the motherboard's header.

Only the 10th computer I've built in my life. Sigh. Luckily they accepted my rma on the motherboard but I had the cable routing just right, then had to take the entire sucker apart. But yeah, poo poo happens.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 28, 2023

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

buglord posted:

Microcenter nearby: yeah, though the person im planning this out for is 3 hours away. I’m visiting home in a few weeks, so there’s always the option of her waiting until I deliver it.

Purpose, resolution: MS Suite office productivity, plenty of multitasking and chrome tabs firing at once, 3440x1440. No 3D/rendering/photoshop/gaming.

Budget: “no budget” (let’s be reasonable though)

Special asks: at least 4 USB ports, though a dongle could work. Windows as an OS. Smaller footprint preferable, but doesn’t need to be “portable”.

For that kind of application I'd probably just grab one of those tiny Lenovo boxes like this.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I've been getting pretty tired of this old pre-built gaming PC's quirks, so I'm finally dipping my toes into actually building a PC for the first time.

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming Mostly
What's your budget? $2000ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p but will probably upgrade to 1440p eventually

This is what I'm looking at currently for it but just wanted to make sure I'm not being an idiot with parts choices or obvious newbie traps?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($390.93 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT520 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-V WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($239.99 @ ASUS)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1099.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2443.85

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looking to get a GPU that will allow me to play Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 at 60FPS on my 60Hz screen, 1920x1200.

I know raytracing makes a big difference in recommendations, I don't want to spend silly money so it's not required. Anything under £300 would be ideal. Running on a Ryzen 5600x and 16GB 3200MHz RAM.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

OneDeadman posted:

I've been getting pretty tired of this old pre-built gaming PC's quirks, so I'm finally dipping my toes into actually building a PC for the first time.

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming Mostly
What's your budget? $2000ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p but will probably upgrade to 1440p eventually

This is what I'm looking at currently for it but just wanted to make sure I'm not being an idiot with parts choices or obvious newbie traps?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($390.93 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT520 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-V WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($239.99 @ ASUS)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1099.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2443.85

Some tweaks could be made here but first, what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looking to get a GPU that will allow me to play Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 at 60FPS on my 60Hz screen, 1920x1200.

I know raytracing makes a big difference in recommendations, I don't want to spend silly money so it's not required. Anything under £300 would be ideal. Running on a Ryzen 5600x and 16GB 3200MHz RAM.

I think a 4060 would be one of your better options. The lower end models should be fine, but I’d suggest a dual fan model, like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/7s88TW/msi-ventus-2x-black-oc-geforce-rtx-4060-8-gb-video-card-rtx-4060-ventus-2x-black-8g-oc

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

As said, a Geforce 4060 will Do It, and a 4060 Ti will Very Much Do It if you're willing to get slightly spendier (one should run about £300-350). A Radeon 7800XT or GF 4070 would Extremely Do It, but even the Radeon is drifting a bit out of your price range. The Radeon 7700XT and 7600 would also work (though the 7700 and 7800 are so close in price you may as well spring for the 78), but their raytracing performance isn't nearly as good as Nvidia offerings. Rad 7600s are extremely affordable, though (many can be had for ~£220 or so).

My gut tells me you'd be most satisfied with a 4060 Ti, but there's options in that price range and it ultimately comes down to chip-maker tilt and precisely how much over or under £300 you want to go.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 29, 2023

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Everything is pointing towards Spiderman 2 being RT-only once released on PC, so if you're buying primarily for Spiderman 2 I'd still think a little bit about RT performance.

Luckily while the game is RT all the time on the consoles, consoles are AMD GPUs so it's already written expecting that level of RT performance, but Nvidia will likely still have an advantage in that game.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Some tweaks could be made here but first, what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

It's currently 1080p 75hz, but I'll probably upgrade sometime in the future.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Had a thought while working on new builds. It's been a while since I've bought anything from Newegg. I remember they used to be the place to buy PC parts from (my first build was done in 2004 using basically all parts from Newegg), but I seem to remember something changed in the last several years about them. Are they still okay in certain situations or should they be avoided now?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Newegg had a couple scandals where they were force bundling known-bad (and dangerous) PSUs with stuff people actually wanted, pretty sure GPUs, to get them out of their warehouses, and also their return/RMA service is horrible even by tech company standards where they were either claiming the customer broke parts that clearly arrived that way or just putting a broken RMAed component back on shelves and just marking it open box. It was pretty ugly. They've pledged to improve but as far as I know have shown no signs of doing so yet.

Personally at this point I'd rather buy from amazon because at least if amazon ships me a box of rocks they'll believe me and refund me. Newegg is still probably fine for most stuff but I don't think I'll buy any high value part from them until there's evidence that they've fixed their poo poo.

Microcenter remains #1 if you're lucky enough to have one nearby though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

It's currently 1080p 75hz, but I'll probably upgrade sometime in the future.

So a 4080 is hellacious overkill for 1440p unless you plan on playing at full ultra settings with raytracing after your monitor upgrade. At 1080p especially, a standard 4070 will still go well above 60FPS on most applications even at Ultra settings. If it's an application that can't do raytracing, the 4070 will still give you 60FPS even up toward 4k. And a 4070 costs half of what a 4080 does.

Basically, unless your heart is absolutely set on a 4080, dropping down your graphics card a bit will still get you great performance for a long time while allowing you save upwards of half a grand.

Also: a 13600K will slightly outperform a 12900K and costs a good $75-100 less. If you want ~wild performance~ there's no reason not to go 13xxx/Raptor Lake at this juncture.

---

DizzyBum posted:

Had a thought while working on new builds. It's been a while since I've bought anything from Newegg. I remember they used to be the place to buy PC parts from (my first build was done in 2004 using basically all parts from Newegg), but I seem to remember something changed in the last several years about them. Are they still okay in certain situations or should they be avoided now?

See my earlier:

SpaceDrake posted:

So as I begin to gear up to finally replace my war-horse after nearly nine god drat years of faithful service, my main question is: what remains the best retailer for putting all this poo poo together? Is Newegg still king, or have they fallen by the wayside? Is it just a matter of shopping around and sourcing from many different places now? Are there other, smaller retailers I don't know about?

This is from the perspective of shopping from the Pacific NW in the USA.

Helter Skelter posted:

Just poke around PCPartPicker and look for who has the least expensive option on a part. It'll vary between the Egg, Amazon, B&H and a few other retailers.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 29, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also: a 13600K will slightly outperform a 12900K and costs a good $75-100 less. If you want ~wild performance~ there's no reason not to go 13xxx/Raptor Lake at this juncture.

Is this because of the extra L2 cache, which means that the 13600 non-K doesn't count? Microcenter around me still has tons of Alder Lake stock, which is somewhat unusual a year after its successor came out. It looks like the cheapest i5-13600K on pcpartpicker is $310, but Microcenter sells this with the 12900K:

Itd expect the 12900K to outperform the 13600K pretty considerably for non-gaming multithreaded tasks too.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Is this because of the extra L2 cache, which means that the 13600 non-K doesn't count?

Apparently so; from the research I've done gearing up for a replacement, the 13600K just barely edges out the 12900K on most tasks (though by a pretty tiny margin, but again, still a significantly less expensive part).

That said, the recommendation doesn't factor in individual discounts or deals one might find (like that one you linked, where the 12900 effectively comes with a free motherboard and RAM, jesus christ), so as it's a slightly older part, it's worth keeping an eye out for those.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks goons, so would this do the job?

MSI GeForce RTX 4060 VENTUS 2X BLACK 8G OC Gaming Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR6X, PCI Express Gen 4, 128-bit, 3x DP v 1.4a, HDMI 2.1a (Supports 4K & 8K HDR) https://amzn.eu/d/fBW45YT

4060Ti is about £430 which is a bit more than I want to spend just for Spider-Man. Maybe I should wait a year or two for prices to come down? I have an Xbox Series X which is basically all I game on these days, I just really want to play Spider-Man!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks goons, so would this do the job?

MSI GeForce RTX 4060 VENTUS 2X BLACK 8G OC Gaming Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR6X, PCI Express Gen 4, 128-bit, 3x DP v 1.4a, HDMI 2.1a (Supports 4K & 8K HDR) https://amzn.eu/d/fBW45YT

Should do. If you crank things to xX~ULTRA~Xx you'll probably have to put up with 30FPS in Spiderman 2 (w/ raytracing), but it'll still work just dandy.

quote:

4060Ti is about £430 which is a bit more than I want to spend just for Spider-Man. Maybe I should wait a year or two for prices to come down? I have an Xbox Series X which is basically all I game on these days, I just really want to play Spider-Man!

Sadly, while we aren't in the hell years of the crypto fury, prices still tend to remain fairly high outside of used parts (which is sketch these days) or full market corrections (like what happened to the 4070). Prices probably won't come down in a year or two; it might change depending on what AMD does, but it'd still be a ~30-50 quid adjustment at the very most. Certainly not enough to bring the 4060Ti or 4070 down to the £300 range.

Maybe keep an eye out for sales (with Christmas, or even American Thanksgiving/Black Friday coming up), but if PC Spodermons is a goal, you may as well pick the card up sooner than later.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm going to build my dream PC at the end of November. I'm deciding between the 7900x3d / 7800x3d. Going with a 4090 and shooting for 32 gigs of RAM, although I don't think 16 is a problem. I want to do about 4tb NVME storage. My case is more than likely going to be the Asus Prime AP201 MATX case. Where I'm sort of stuck at is what is a good motherboard (MATX or ITX) for this build? I'm going to be using black Friday / Cyber Monday discounts to buy a lot of it and when I say I don't have a budget, I really don't have much of a budget.

I don't think my Wife would want me to spend more than $4k but I don't think that will be a problem.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I'm going to build my dream PC at the end of November. I'm deciding between the 7900x3d / 7800x3d. Going with a 4090 and shooting for 32 gigs of RAM, although I don't think 16 is a problem. I want to do about 4tb NVME storage. My case is more than likely going to be the Asus Prime AP201 MATX case. Where I'm sort of stuck at is what is a good motherboard (MATX or ITX) for this build? I'm going to be using black Friday / Cyber Monday discounts to buy a lot of it and when I say I don't have a budget, I really don't have much of a budget.

I don't think my Wife would want me to spend more than $4k but I don't think that will be a problem.

The 7900X3D is quite bad. It needs to park the second CCD while gaming to make sure games stay on the VCache cores, which makes it functionally a six core CPU while gaming even if the parking works perfectly. And as someone with a 7950X3D, the parking driver is atrocious. It fails to work in a whole host of games, either because it doesn't recognise it as a game or because it unparks the second CCD if load on the first CCD is too high (which with six cores, will be very common).

If you need good gaming performance as well as multithreaded performance, you're much better off either going all the way to a 7950X3D or buying a 14900K (or clearance 13900K) instead. If you get the 7950X3D, prepare to have to gently caress around with affinities using Process Lasso or CapFrameX if you care about getting the VCache performance all the time.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I had considered a 13/14900k

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I had considered a 13/14900k

I wouldn’t personally :shrug:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I wouldn’t personally :shrug:

If you just actually turn on the power limit in the bios, instead of letting the motherboard manufacturer go wild, it's a perfectly good CPU for mixed gaming/MT use. And there is, somehow, less scheduling headaches involved with big.little than there is with the dual ccd vcache CPUs.

Solely gaming is a solid VCache win, mixed use isn't so clear cut.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If this is purely going to be a gaming system then I'd just go with the venerable 7800X3D, you get top-shelf performance at a reasonable price and without turning your tower into a space heater

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

If this is purely going to be a gaming system then I'd just go with the venerable 7800X3D, you get top-shelf performance at a reasonable price and without turning your tower into a space heater

I'm assuming MT performance is relevant because the 7900X3D was in consideration at all. If it's not relevant, the 7900X3D is even more terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking at getting a couple of WD SN850x M.2 drives for my new build. I haven't used M.2 drives before and there seems to be an option to buy it with or without a heatsink. If I will be using it mainly for games and hobby grade occasional video editing (4k files), do I need to get one with a heatsink?