Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Go suck a lemon!

He did want to murder Teal'c, which is an inexcusable offence, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mckay was written as a one off douchebag foil for carter and it was weird that they decided to use him as both a recurring character on sg1 and a main character on atlantis despite this. it was also weird that they used weir as a main character in atlantis despite having to recast her instead of just having someone new

I guess they wanted to atlantis to feel less like a totally disconnected spinoff

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It’s not weird in that David Hewlett is a good actor and does the “know it all rear end in a top hat dork” character really well

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There's that episode that they smooze with Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse Tyson playing themselves.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

It’s not weird in that David Hewlett is a good actor and does the “know it all rear end in a top hat dork” character really well

It's not weird that they wrote that character or used him, it's weird that when they went to write their spinoff and thought "hmm who should our 4 main characters be" one of their picks was Doctor Douchebag, yes, one off arrogant sexist nerd will be one of the pillars of our new canon

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

pixaal posted:

There's that episode that they smooze with Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse Tyson playing themselves.

That and they were making GBS threads all over McKay for the entirety of the episode.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Picked a random episode, and I did not remember "the fifth man" is also a Simmons episode. He's really good at playing a guy you hate.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I always liked mayborurne more than simmonds just because of Jack’s rage at him. YOU RAT BASTARD is such a great scene.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, but Mayborne has a redemption arc. Of sorts. Simmons is just plain evil.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

You make him the second smartest person on Earth, you should use him. He does grow a lot and it's usually shown that his attitude is his biggest problem.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Jason Mamoa as not Teal'c was the best part of SGA

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I really enjoyed the episode where they hung out together.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I really enjoyed the episode where they hung out together.

The slurred way he says Ronon Dex is great, I think it's from that ep. Rodney really has very few good memory line reads.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Mamoa was such a horrible actor. He's not much better now, but the dude was basically a piece of wood on SGA

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Momoas repertoire consists of talking gruff in various settings but I had a harder time tolerating Teyla both in character and how she was portrayed. Wasn't she basically the show's Jeri Ryan? Though even 7 of 9 was a more interesting character and she started out as a loving drone.
I think in almost all aspects SG1 is just leagues better than SGA. You watch SG1 for the evolution of humanity and their defeating of ever more godlike entities over the course of many seasons. SGA just rehashed a bunch of concepts and added boring space goths. Enjoyable white noise at most (as opposed to SGU which was rarely even enjoyable).

I guess the Genii were a kind of fun foe, even though clearly so technologically inferior as to never be a real threat. Maybe I just liked Colm Meaney as a bad guy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Leandros posted:

Momoas repertoire consists of talking gruff in various settings but I had a harder time tolerating Teyla both in character and how she was portrayed. Wasn't she basically the show's Jeri Ryan? Though even 7 of 9 was a more interesting character and she started out as a loving drone.
I think in almost all aspects SG1 is just leagues better than SGA. You watch SG1 for the evolution of humanity and their defeating of ever more godlike entities over the course of many seasons. SGA just rehashed a bunch of concepts and added boring space goths. Enjoyable white noise at most (as opposed to SGU which was rarely even enjoyable).

I guess the Genii were a kind of fun foe, even though clearly so technologically inferior as to never be a real threat. Maybe I just liked Colm Meaney as a bad guy.

Yeah SGA was mostly just kinda SG1 but less good but the Genii were cool- i know the setting conceit runs against it, but i did like when SG1 ran into somewhat more advanced human cultures.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Mamoa was such a horrible actor. He's not much better now, but the dude was basically a piece of wood on SGA

I just like him in things. Like he was miscast in Dune but he's still good.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

It's fun to see the technological underdog pull one over on the enemy but the Genii were just a bunch of backstabbers backstabbing backstabbers.

Another fun thought I had is that like the human form, a Richard Kind always evolves into being.

e: Kolya could have been played by Steven Seagal and the only differences would have been the need for more chairs in scenes and perhaps some forced subs. Honestly might have been worth looking into

Leandros fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 27, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Momoa loving up those Sardaukar was badass tho.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Yeah SGA was mostly just kinda SG1 but less good but the Genii were cool- i know the setting conceit runs against it, but i did like when SG1 ran into somewhat more advanced human cultures.

Which Genii? There's two groups called this one in SG1 and one in Atlantis

e: I googled to double check and maybe it wasn't the genii that were reused thought they were. I know there's a duplicate name of completely different groups in SG1 and Atlantis

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 27, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

mckay was written as a one off douchebag foil for carter and it was weird that they decided to use him as both a recurring character on sg1 and a main character on atlantis despite this. it was also weird that they used weir as a main character in atlantis despite having to recast her instead of just having someone new

I guess they wanted to atlantis to feel less like a totally disconnected spinoff

Yeah, this is what I think about it too. Just unlikable. And he whines and doesn't shut up, he's diplomatically terrible, he has no business being on the lead team.

I'd promote Zelenka and give McKay a lab and staff.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Biplane posted:

Momoa loving up those Sardaukar was badass tho.

He was the only casting I was at all wary of but he knocked it out of the park with duncan.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

pixaal posted:

Which Genii? There's two groups called this one in SG1 and one in Atlantis

e: I googled to double check and maybe it wasn't the genii that were reused thought they were. I know there's a duplicate name of completely different groups in SG1 and Atlantis

Humans? :dadjoke:
Replicators

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Genii use the Timecop pistol just like Soren does in "Icon" (S08E05 where they popped into a cold war but also there's a cult that worshipped the ring of the gods etc etc)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

McKay grows on you and by the end of SGA McKay was one of my favourite characters. I really love Hewlett and it's a shame he hasn't got more roles

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The triple barreled shotgun prop used by Satedans and Genii is from Blade 2 and also shows up in Eureka. The Richard Kind is invincible episode is filmed in the same cute town location as the people that live in a forcefield shell surrounded by toxic gas episode. Tons of actors are reused, some of them becoming major characters in their second role (Beckett was a young Littlefield). I think practical production decisions leading to fucky canon aren't so bad as say reusing names or plots.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

alexandriao posted:

McKay grows on you and by the end of SGA McKay was one of my favourite characters. I really love Hewlett and it's a shame he hasn't got more roles

He has a big turning point. With the bug.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Remember the first Sebrus/Seberus episode when Carter hands a dude zipties to cuff his legs and he somehow manages to do so competently despite being from a completely different culture that probably doesn't have zipties?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

FFT posted:

Remember the first Sebrus/Seberus episode when Carter hands a dude zipties to cuff his legs and he somehow manages to do so competently despite being from a completely different culture that probably doesn't have zipties?

They kind of get away from the earlier seasons where they have to explain super basic concepts to the primitive aliens. They also just kinda... stop encountering those primitives as often. It's much more common that they come across like... 1940s era + (which totally makes sense from a story telling and progression perspective, it gets boring having to deal with people who haven't invented a computer yet).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

They kind of get away from the earlier seasons where they have to explain super basic concepts to the primitive aliens. They also just kinda... stop encountering those primitives as often. It's much more common that they come across like... 1940s era + (which totally makes sense from a story telling and progression perspective, it gets boring having to deal with people who haven't invented a computer yet).

Those were always some of my favorite new worlds, the human societies that were technologically advanced, just in different ways, or 100 years or so behind Earth.

As for the primitive aliens more often in earlier seasons, I think that makes total sense, in-story. At first, they are brand new to exploring, so they go anywhere that looks promising. As the years pass and there's more and more trips, with many other SG teams as well, and a map of the galaxy is forming in real time. It makes sense that some areas would be of more interest, and that SG1 would be going to more advanced planets, rather than a new but typical feudal agrarian planet - leave those places to SG14, if anyone goes back at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Leandros posted:

The triple barreled shotgun prop used by Satedans and Genii is from Blade 2 and also shows up in Eureka. The Richard Kind is invincible episode is filmed in the same cute town location as the people that live in a forcefield shell surrounded by toxic gas episode. Tons of actors are reused, some of them becoming major characters in their second role (Beckett was a young Littlefield). I think practical production decisions leading to fucky canon aren't so bad as say reusing names or plots.

Yeah, if you shoot in Canada long enough (especially Vancouver) it's bound to happen, Tyrol from BSG shows up twice in SG-1, it's like looking for Waldo! It's fun, just roll with it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's also Boomer. And she has a crush on Daniel :allears:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Gaeta was in the season 8 finale

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Armacham posted:

Gaeta was in the season 8 finale

Gaeta was also the centaur doctor on The Magicians and got to act like he was pooping

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gaeta was also the centaur doctor on The Magicians and got to act like he was pooping

Played a character with too few limbs and then one with too many. Impressive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I was getting an MRI the other day and as I'm being loaded into the giant human donut cooker, I couldn't help but think how the spinning electric guts of the donut resembles the spinning star gate we're so used to seeing are hero's jumping into all the time

Was disappointed that I was not suddenly enveloped in a giant sideways flush of mouthwash and whisked off to weirdo planet PKX-286 to confront a bunch of guys dressed in towels wielding laser shooty spears

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Biplane posted:

Played a character with too few limbs and then one with too many. Impressive.

IIRC there's also a brief shot when he's behind a curtain and the main character sees the silhouette of the doctor's centaur dick, so yeah, too many limbs definitely.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Rappaport posted:

There's also Boomer. And she has a crush on Daniel :allears:

It was bummer to hear that she and Callie from BSG fell into that sex cult NXIVM.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did we ever see the Goa'uld change up their tactics when dealing with Earth?

Ba'al did, so, other than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Did we ever see the Goa'uld change up their tactics when dealing with Earth?

Ba'al did, so, other than him.

There was Sokar trying to melt the iris with a particle beam, but all the other ones I can think of were Anubis: when he sent Tanith to force the Tollans to build phase-shifting bombs that could pass through the iris, when he launched the naquadah-cored asteroid at Earth, and his stargate-destroying energy weapon.