Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

And that year was finally the year of Linux on the desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thanks Ants posted:

You make the OS and the service guys, figure something out please.

I swear none of the teams at Microsoft actually talk to each other about anything.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

I think our electronics lab could do that but we weren’t handling electronics, we had micrometers, calipers, pressure gages, force gages, pin gages, thermometers, torque wrenches, moldings, things that you have to enter all your measurements by hand.

At the time we didn’t have any templates set up either, so each time a new work order was created we’d have to enter each test point, the readings, the maximum, minimum, tolerance, and units of measure. Our workaround was excel, so we would set it up for the first year then when the item came back in the next time we could reuse the same spreadsheet and update the data

Honestly most of those can be ported if they have a serial or the mitoyo cable interface.

Mitutoyo has calipers , micrometer anything that has a mitutoyo indicator should port to a multiplexor.

Imada force gauges have either micro USB or a black box thing that's allows for porting.

I ve got most gauges to port save for the cmm

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Potato Salad posted:

what IS a good wired headset for an IT person? the one I'm on halves audio quality when the microphone is powered on, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just get a condenser mic on a boom

In addition to what other other people said, there is also the option of using whatever headphone you want and pair it up with a modmic or something like a zalman clip-on mic.

Depending on how much background noise there is, you might also be better off with a cheap dynamic mic on a boom than a condenser mic.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Woke up incredibly early to hit the gym to get a workout in before an incredibly early meeting.

Sit down for the meeting and the power goes out.

Great start to the week!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That is dope I wish my power would go out and every datacenter in the planet just melted from magnetic discharges from the Sun or something

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kibner posted:

In addition to what other other people said, there is also the option of using whatever headphone you want and pair it up with a modmic or something like a zalman clip-on mic.

Depending on how much background noise there is, you might also be better off with a cheap dynamic mic on a boom than a condenser mic.
It starts getting pricy, but I paired my ancient Zalman clip-on with one of those Asus AI Noise-cancelling adapters and it sounds excellent. (I also needed a mic/headphone Y-splitter because the Asus adapter expects mic+headphones on the same miniplug).

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

joebuddah posted:

Honestly most of those can be ported if they have a serial or the mitoyo cable interface.

Mitutoyo has calipers , micrometer anything that has a mitutoyo indicator should port to a multiplexor.

Imada force gauges have either micro USB or a black box thing that's allows for porting.

I ve got most gauges to port save for the cmm

That’s definitely the way forward, but most labs are notorious for being years behind in getting equipment. Up until last year our lab was still running the old General Radio capacitance bridge system before we upgraded to the significantly better Andeen-Hagerling 2700A capacitance bridge.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hotel Kpro posted:

That’s definitely the way forward, but most labs are notorious for being years behind in getting equipment. Up until last year our lab was still running the old General Radio capacitance bridge system before we upgraded to the significantly better Andeen-Hagerling 2700A capacitance bridge.

Wow that sounds amazing. How many margaritas per minute does that put out?

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

i am a moron posted:

That is dope I wish my power would go out and every datacenter in the planet just melted from magnetic discharges from the Sun or something

No more debt, no more mortgages.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This thread is over ten years old now. Amazing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So it's at the age where CFOs are asking if we can extend its useful life just a little bit further even though it's out of support

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We just bought ESUs for a handful of server 2012's we still have to keep around, so....yeah. :negative:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sirotan posted:

We just bought ESUs for a handful of server 2012's we still have to keep around, so....yeah. :negative:

A handful, that's cute. We have over 100...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

So it's at the age where CFOs are asking if we can extend its useful life just a little bit further even though it's out of support

Look, a new thread just isn't in the budget this year.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

We have had to push off replacements for so long that a bunch of devices are all going EOL next year. We are on year 5 of asking for replacements on some of them. We pushed all these off during the real good years, and we have been told to expect significantly less money for next year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

Look, a new thread just isn't in the budget this year.

But the mods just got a new beach house?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm more of a mountains kind of guy.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
hope the mods rent a big hotel and reception room over 3 days to present the upcoming year that wouldve been enough budget to get stuff done but was spent on that instead

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

kensei posted:

A handful, that's cute. We have over 100...

What is up fellow ESA IT people. My company is buying over 1000 and are pissed that I'm even bringing up the eol of 2016.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In Research I have close to 2000 Win 10 machines, mostly LTSC, a couple hundred Win7 boxes left, and maybe 30 Win 11. October 14, 2025 is just over the loving hill.

One Manufacturing site has an extremely heavily firewalled Win2k cluster running the processes that put product out the door. We have a remediation plan! It's "sell the facility". We have strong interest!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Never forget that finding a new job is a legitimate way of tackling these situations

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Guess who just locked everyone out of Sharepoint for several hours after migrating to a new leased line and forgetting to update the IP whitelist in the admin console?

Hint: Me. It was me.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

mllaneza posted:

In Research I have close to 2000 Win 10 machines, mostly LTSC, a couple hundred Win7 boxes left, and maybe 30 Win 11. October 14, 2025 is just over the loving hill.

One Manufacturing site has an extremely heavily firewalled Win2k cluster running the processes that put product out the door. We have a remediation plan! It's "sell the facility". We have strong interest!

Lots of Husky machines run XP

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Microsoft if you could please just stop arbitrarily renaming and rebranding poo poo that would be great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bargearse posted:

Microsoft if you could please just stop arbitrarily renaming and rebranding poo poo that would be great

If it helps they're all busy tearing apart Phil Spencer for canceling their free xbox live.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

After all, why shake down your existing users when you can shake down your staff?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

This a hundred times

They gave up recently on a few things too!! NEW outlook. NEW teams. What the gently caress does that mean. Why do these need "new" names.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How the gently caress is Oracle Cloud so goddamn bad. It feels like I stepped back into 2002 before platform engineering existed. Nothing makes sense, the stacks are all wrong, there are no links to get around, and half the pages simply break when you click additional settings.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Reoxygenation posted:

This a hundred times

They gave up recently on a few things too!! NEW outlook. NEW teams. What the gently caress does that mean. Why do these need "new" names.

Because they're complete rewrites of the existing applications. But they hosed up the names, what they really meant was GOOD Teams and SHITPILE Outlook.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I got that they were rewrites but like. They didn't rename them or stuck with the branding, as opposed to how they renamed Azure to Entra.

Just kinda puzzling from a branding perspective. Just a strange choice for software. Middle of the road nothingness.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 3, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

what they really meant was GOOD Teams and SHITPILE Outlook.
Implying there was ever a not-shitpile Outlook?

Anything that makes Outlook users not want to be Outlook users is a step in the right direction in my book.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Reoxygenation posted:

This a hundred times

This sucks because it's hard to even get relevant google results for "where is X setting in new outlook".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot of that is Google's fault because their search is complete toilet now. Partly it's on Microsoft for not being able to pick names that make any sense, but a search for "windows 365 conditional access" is not the equivalent to "office 365 conditional access" and Google should stop serving me results for the latter and proudly bolding the term as if they're the same.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

wolrah posted:

Implying there was ever a not-shitpile Outlook?

Anything that makes Outlook users not want to be Outlook users is a step in the right direction in my book.

Going from orgs that used Outlook to an org that uses GSuite/GMail I have to say I actually miss Outlook.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We're an Edge-only environment and a vendor is saying that their training only works on Chrome.

They're both Chromium browsers now, the hell

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: trying to figure out where my most recent resume is. Normally I just look in my email for the one I sent to the job I got, but it doesn't seem to be there this time. Not in Google Drive, not in the linkedin PM, not in the Something Awful PM I sent to my last manager, where did it go?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

klosterdev posted:

We're an Edge-only environment and a vendor is saying that their training only works on Chrome.

They're both Chromium browsers now, the hell

They all say that.

and then you ask "prove it doesn't work in Edge" and when they go to show you and it actually DOES work, they'll come back "well yeah but it works better in Chrome!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just cut and paste the job description into chatGPT. Ask it to make a resume for it.

Proofread the output. Delete anything that is wrong enough to trip your conscience. Add a few numbers if you can.

Takes ten minutes per resume.

Your résumé’s only goal is to get you past the automated keyword-based system so you can talk to a person, and the thing AI is best at is keyword-based word salad.