Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
“Beast” seems like an insensitive code name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

emSparkly posted:

I think the X-Men look really cool, but as far as I've seen like 70% of all X-Men comics seem to have been written by Scott Lobdell, Warren Ellis, or Joss Whedon, so no thanks.

you've got to completely flip this: maybe 70% of x-men comics at this point haven't been written by chris claremont

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

emSparkly posted:

I think the X-Men look really cool, but as far as I've seen like 70% of all X-Men comics seem to have been written by Scott Lobdell, Warren Ellis, or Joss Whedon, so no thanks.

The Whedon ones are good too, which kind of sucks.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Very subjective!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

His run is definitely standing on Morrison's shoulders. Which isn't to say it's bad, as following up morrison and not screwing it up is a minor accomplishment.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ynohtna posted:

“Beast” seems like an insensitive code name.

Mr Beast is beloved by all

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's. So all these shows from Gargoyles to Xmen missed it where some people would be lining up for days to date Beast or Nightcrawler or anyone who didn't look human.

"Oh no I have been turned into a hot cat person by an evil scientist and want to become human again! Or.....I can stay like this?"

I am waiting for a Beauty and the Beast where the beast is some kind of insect/vulture mix instead of a mammal hybrid. There might still be people thinking it looks cool but not many will line up to gently caress a cockroach with a Skesis face.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ror posted:

Mr Beast is beloved by all

The one thing I know of Mr Beast is that he is universally hated, while at the same time apparently universally loved and a billionaire?

I guess that's two things.

I've never heard anyone SAY anything positive about him, but I also know he has like thousands of followers

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Cowslips Warren posted:

maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's.

Furries have been around longer than that. Furries as we know them today pretty much started around the 70s and they were introduced online in the BBS days.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

There might still be people thinking it looks cool but not many will line up to gently caress a cockroach with a Skesis face.

*pointed glance at the Mass Effect fandom*

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Byzantine posted:

*pointed glance at the Mass Effect fandom*
His mandibles are hot stfu

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Eh you'd have a big wave of new readers coming in from the 90s cartoon and 2000s movies where he was cool. I don't think it's a disingenuous position.
It is very disingenuous if you think anyone was still going out to read comics outside of the terminally extant. lmfao.

emSparkly posted:

Genuinely wrong, thank christ, but like 70% of all X-Men comics suck poo poo so accidentally fair assessment.

Fun trivia though--Warren Ellis' X-Men runs are rightfully regarded as some of the worst in the franchise, where he always tries to make them his boring version of Gen X Scottich Het-cool.

Like, look at this trash:

Reminder: this man was allowed to write this character into Excalibur and canonically deflower Kitty Pryde, because that's a normal thing to write in:

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Whedon is a trash human and it's probably better if you hate his style, but his run is frustratingly competent.

They also got Jon Cassidy who makes clean loving art, so it really elevates the writing and pacing above what it deserves.

Ambitious Spider posted:

His run is definitely standing on Morrison's shoulders. Which isn't to say it's bad, as following up morrison and not screwing it up is a minor accomplishment.
This was right when Whedon was at a relative career low when he got Angel cancelled and was still butthurt that Firefly didn't work out, so he's shockingly humble and faithful to most of what Morrison set up-- even recognizing Cassandra Nova's potential as a fun antagonist. If asked to write that poo poo today he'd definitely ignore Morrison's request to keep Emma/Scott together and gone straight for playing the soft hits like another Phoenix resurrection.

Cowslips Warren posted:

maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's.
Some of the first poo poo I ever saw on the internet as a kid in the mid-90s were (SFW thank gently caress) furry webcomics. SomethingAwful itself partially codified itself on the practice of socially othering furries and bullying them for sport in the early 00s. And while they might not have had a name, people have been known to be getting off to cartoon animal drawings since at least the early 20th Century.

credburn posted:

The one thing I know of Mr Beast is that he is universally hated, while at the same time apparently universally loved and a billionaire?

I guess that's two things.

I've never heard anyone SAY anything positive about him, but I also know he has like thousands of followers
I'm old enough that he's like a cryptid to me-- I keep hearing about him and his good deeds but I've never once seen evidence of him in my extremely limited slice of this Earth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's. So all these shows from Gargoyles to Xmen missed it where some people would be lining up for days to date Beast or Nightcrawler or anyone who didn't look human.

"Oh no I have been turned into a hot cat person by an evil scientist and want to become human again! Or.....I can stay like this?"

I am waiting for a Beauty and the Beast where the beast is some kind of insect/vulture mix instead of a mammal hybrid. There might still be people thinking it looks cool but not many will line up to gently caress a cockroach with a Skesis face.

in X-Men Evolution, Kurt tries really hard to hide the fact that he's a fuzzy blue demon elf man from his girlfriend and then she finds out and is even more into it

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Furries have been a thing since the 1970s, possibly earlier.

And I think that did actually happen to Beast at least once while he was an avenger in the 80s, possibly even a running gag.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Furries have been a thing since the first hunter draped an animal skin over their shoulders and announced that they were that animal

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's paleolithic cave art from 13,000 BCE depicting furries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorcerer_%28cave_art%29

Media that's not aging well: a lot of these ancient cave paintings are disintegrating and climate change may be contributing to the problem. :(

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Oct 29, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

emSparkly posted:

You need to see that 20-year Claremont run. It’s what made the X-Men cool and will also sometimes feature what is to adult eyes undeniably one of the author’s fetishes. Also it’s the origin of the three non-consecutive occasions in which Kitty Pryde says the n-word.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

You need to see that 20-year Claremont run. It’s what made the X-Men cool and will also sometimes feature what is to adult eyes undeniably one of the author’s fetishes. Also it’s the origin of the three non-consecutive occasions in which Kitty Pryde says the n-word.

shout outs to the Demon Bear story in New Mutants, with some incredible early Bill Sienkiewicz art and also a random sideplot where a nurse and a security guard get forcibly changed into sexy injuns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the thing is just that Beast being a huge hulking blue fuzzy monster man who is also a soft-spoken, intelligent and brilliant scientist is a really solid character hook. There's a lot of ways that's been played, his inability to pass as human anymore vs him genuinely enjoying his newfound physical abilities, his attempts to control his mutation vs accepting what his body has become, that he's a big scary monster who turns out to be a sweet and brilliant man who everyone comes to love. Turning him into yet another mad scientist seems like massively squandering all that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I AM GRANDO posted:

Also it’s the origin of the three non-consecutive occasions in which Kitty Pryde says the n-word.

I'm sorry, she said it more than once?!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Aces High posted:

I'm sorry, she said it more than once?!

This ain't the Kitty Tolerance thread, buddy!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kitty Pride said the N-Word at least five times.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We must’ve skipped a thread title or two to be back on this one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one that is really gratuitous is where she works a whole line of slurs into a eulogy at her friend’s funeral. You could just say you’re sad he died fighting a supervillain, Kitty.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kitty Pryde is a racist. Don’t act surprised when she uses racial slurs.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

I AM GRANDO posted:

"God Loves, Man Kills", the eulogy for the kid who commits suicide in New Mutants* and... what's the third time?

* Yes, Kitty unleashed a stream of racial slurs as part of a funeral speech.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

oldpainless posted:

Kitty Pryde is a racist. Don’t act surprised when she uses racial slurs.

this panel is free from slurs only because Kitty doesn't what to use for a Nightcrawler

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kitty White Pryde

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

"God Loves, Man Kills", the eulogy for the kid who commits suicide in New Mutants* and... what's the third time?

* Yes, Kitty unleashed a stream of racial slurs as part of a funeral speech.

It’s this one, from just a regular issue, I’m pretty sure:

https://i.imgur.com/C1jQUMO.jpg

Spoilered for n-word

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wow more like Kitty Prejudice*

*not mine

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kitty Pride said the N-Word at least five times.

In a row?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the thing is just that Beast being a huge hulking blue fuzzy monster man who is also a soft-spoken, intelligent and brilliant scientist is a really solid character hook. There's a lot of ways that's been played, his inability to pass as human anymore vs him genuinely enjoying his newfound physical abilities, his attempts to control his mutation vs accepting what his body has become, that he's a big scary monster who turns out to be a sweet and brilliant man who everyone comes to love. Turning him into yet another mad scientist seems like massively squandering all that.

It's practically a law of comics, once your IQ hits a certain value, you become a totalitarian dick.

Hell, years ago when I first joined SA, I lurked around and posted in BSS a lot, and I remember that"Reed Richards is an rear end in a top hat" was like the first commandment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think this is a big reason people hate it yeah. Beast was traditionally the super scientist who wasn't a raging rear end in a top hat.

Well before the Bendis run, Beast pretended to be gay to make his ex feel bad:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Well before the Bendis run, Beast pretended to be gay to make his ex feel bad:

I would say that this panel is proof why Kelsey Grammer was perfect casting at the time. Try to not read this conversation as something that happened in Frasier. I'll wait. :colbert:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I quit buying comics over a decade ago, but I think it's weird and kinda dumb that Beast is all evil now.

I mean isn't that why Dark Beast is a thing?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I quit buying comics over a decade ago, but I think it's weird and kinda dumb that Beast is all evil now.

I mean isn't that why Dark Beast is a thing?

Those panels I posted are over two decades old. Time to face the fact that Beast was always bad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wow, older than me. Jesus Christ

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I was thinking bad like wolverine clones bad not like faking gay for the lulz bad but holy poo poo two decades?

Ughhhhhh I just turned 41 and those panels make me feel old as poo poo.

I BOUGHT THOSE BOOKS AS THEY CAME OUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

Those panels I posted are over two decades old. Time to face the fact that Beast was always bad.

And 10 years ago he was pulling younger versions of himself and his friends out of the timeline to win an argument with Cyclops.

Which culminates with his younger self calling him a dick and despairing at the person he'd eventually turn into.