Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Why aren't the point costs listed on the datacards? So annoying

Because points can change, theoretically, multiple times a year while the rest of the information remains unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It also forces you into using their app if you don't know about better alternatives.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

You should do that, but use the Cinematic Marine rules. And maybe double the amount of points the opponent gets as well.
Frankly GW should just re-release those rules updated for 11th, under a giant label of "This is very silly and should be treated as such".

Didn't someone make a list comprised entirely of Space Marine Captains? That would be the equivalent of the movie marines.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lostconfused posted:

It also forces you into using their app if you don't know about better alternatives.

Aren’t all points updated in the Munitorium manual, which is published for free? I thought that included everything, including stuff that got a new Codex.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They are, but it feels more hidden away.

I didn't find it until days later after I started looking at this stuff.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Is there a good way to get models off their base so I can rebase them? Mine are really glued on there with Tamiya and I tried working an x-acto knife under their soles but I don't think I can do it without mangling them.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is there a good way to get models off their base so I can rebase them? Mine are really glued on there with Tamiya and I tried working an x-acto knife under their soles but I don't think I can do it without mangling them.

If you don't mind destroying the old base you can always use snips to just cut through the old base around where the models feet are. I had some old Assault on Black Reach Terminators I've been working on repurposing for 30k where I did that. You can put the models in the freezer (as long as the were originally assembled with some variety of super glue instead of plastic glue) to make the old bonds more brittle as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you plastic glued them they're pretty stuck there especially with a large contact surface like feet. Your best bet is choppy chop.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Bought some meganobz. Gonna make one into the bigmek because the tellyporta blasta looks funny.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

If you don't mind destroying the old base you can always use snips to just cut through the old base around where the models feet are. I had some old Assault on Black Reach Terminators I've been working on repurposing for 30k where I did that. You can put the models in the freezer (as long as the were originally assembled with some variety of super glue instead of plastic glue) to make the old bonds more brittle as well.

Anything I can do to get the glued on portion of the base under their feet off or do they just have lifts at that point?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I bought some thrift store toys and am going to make an ork freebooter galleon. I've been looking at reference pics and good lord there's some insane kitbashes out there.
I also found a big drill! It's twice the size of the Terrax Pattern Termite Assault Drill so I guess it's going to be another custom model/proxy. I'd like to redo the main drill blade though since it's so drat basic compared to the forge world model.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Anything I can do to get the glued on portion of the base under their feet off or do they just have lifts at that point?

Your dudes have lifts now. If you want after you cut around the feet you can sand down the remaining base, or attempt to cut it further. I'd sand it tbh if you're dead set on it. Just throw some sand paper down and slide your marine back and forth on it till it's where you want it.

What I've also done in the past is after cutting the base away, I just glued it directly to the new base and visually hid the old base portions with modeling paste and other textures which will hide it completely. Hell you don't even have to cut the base away if you don't want to, just glue the whole thing to a larger base and add more modeling paste, dirt, sand, etc.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Played against an absolutely sick Imperial Knights list today. The guy had added lights, motors, and sounds to most of the models... like the Ultra Ecto Plasma Double Donker was making a charging noise before it vaporized my terminators. I love this hobby so much.

xtothez posted:

This is precisely what I did earlier this year.

Those look great, thanks for the response and encouragement!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, got a squad leader done for the Chonky Legionary Raptors. One more to go and then I'll need to figure out if I want to use the box of actual Raptors I got to fill in 5 more for this squad or use them for 5 more Warp Talons for my existing Emperor's Children WT's.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Get a set of these, they are really useful and I've used them to cleanly separate plastic models from bases, clean up resin models, the works. If you need to cut through models / bases / whatever and can't use your snippers these things are incredible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LVOV4A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I've used other x-acto-style saw blades before and these things are so much sharper than everything else.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
mini painting thread xpost

Captain Magic posted:

Nothing to see, fellow Imperiumers. Just having a daemon prance in this here grass.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

x-post from painting thread, got a squad leader done for the Chonky Legionary Raptors. One more to go and then I'll need to figure out if I want to use the box of actual Raptors I got to fill in 5 more for this squad or use them for 5 more Warp Talons for my existing Emperor's Children WT's.

Absolutely sick looking dudes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

40k has been something on my radar for *checks* years, but the startup costs for it are the biggest thing.

Now with that out of the way, would a Kill Team be able to be integrated into a larger army? It seems like a good way to get into the hobby at the start without committing :shepspends: level of cash.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

iospace posted:

40k has been something on my radar for *checks* years, but the startup costs for it are the biggest thing.

Now with that out of the way, would a Kill Team be able to be integrated into a larger army? It seems like a good way to get into the hobby at the start without committing :shepspends: level of cash.

Yeah, they all can be used in 40k in some way, usually the Kill Teams are like, a block of standard infantry for one of the given factions, sometimes a slightly elite one depending on which one. So if you wanted to play the Vet Guards kill team, you'd buy a box of them, make them up for Kill Team and then they'd be a squad of 10 Krieg troopers in regular 40k.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

iospace posted:

All Kill Teams are essentially fancier dressed up versions of equivalent units in normal 40k, they're perfectly compatible.

Also, I think you're overstating the startup costs, you only really need 200-300 dollars for a decent bunch of stuff and easily enough stuff to last you a good while.

you can buy the leviathan stuff which is a really good amount of stuff that will last you a while for 210 dollars on amazon:-

https://www.amazon.com/Games-Worksh...32-63e904010ad0

If you dont like space marines or tyranids, just get two combat patrols of any factions, the stuff you need to play the game like rules and dice and stuff and you're good to go!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah, they all can be used in 40k in some way, usually the Kill Teams are like, a block of standard infantry for one of the given factions, sometimes a slightly elite one depending on which one. So if you wanted to play the Vet Guards kill team, you'd buy a box of them, make them up for Kill Team and then they'd be a squad of 10 Krieg troopers in regular 40k.

Al-Saqr posted:

All Kill Teams are essentially fancier dressed up versions of equivalent units in normal 40k, they're perfectly compatible.

Also, I think you're overstating the startup costs, you only really need 200-300 dollars for a decent bunch of stuff and easily enough stuff to last you a good while.

you can buy the leviathan stuff which is a really good amount of stuff that will last you a while for 210 dollars on amazon:-

https://www.amazon.com/Games-Worksh...32-63e904010ad0

If you dont like space marines or tyranids, just get two combat patrols of any factions, the stuff you need to play the game like rules and dice and stuff and you're good to go!

Ah hah. I'll be going to my local game store rather than buying off of Amazon. Gods know I'm spoiled for choice around here (poo poo, we even have an official Warhammer store here in Milwaukee).

Also, Space Marines while cool, aren't my cup of tea, and Tyranids are *shrug*. Thanks for the responses!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

In my opinion, Combat Patrols are the best way to get in unless you're really interested in Kill Team as a game. Patrols have their own game mode within 40K, and most can easily be expanded into a larger force. You can learn 40K by playing Combat Patrol, while Kill Team is a very different game and it's not quite as easy to expand from a single infantry unit.

All of Al-Saqrs' advice is good, except do not, under any circumstances, buy 2 Thousand Sons Combat Patrols.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd ask for a demo game of Kill Team and a regular 40k game at your local store if they offer such things, see how you like the basic concept of both/either. It sounds like you want a cheap thing to find out if you like the building/painting thing at all to me so I reckon a basic squad of whatever faction you think looks the coolest will probably be a good start rather than a huge box of stuff you may or may not end up liking.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Question about "official" tournament play.

How strict are the rules when it comes to conversions? Like I got a CSM Master of Executions who's a combination of parts from the actual Master of Executions sprue, Deathwing terminators, and Possessed, on the base model of a Primaris Chaplain. Could I actually still use that guy as an MoE, provided he's on the right base?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mazed posted:

How strict are the rules when it comes to conversions? Like I got a CSM Master of Executions who's a combination of parts from the actual Master of Executions sprue, Deathwing terminators, and Possessed, on the base model of a Primaris Chaplain. Could I actually still use that guy as an MoE, provided he's on the right base?

All-gw parts should save you from even the dorkiest rules lawyer, at least going off when I last played.

unless you went super modelling-for-advantage but sounds like you just made a cool custom guy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mazed posted:

Kitbashing and conversions are an old modelling tradition, as long as the base size is right, the dimensions/silhouette are roughly similar and it looks cool you can go hog wild

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
There are no hard and fast rules, since conversions are so individual, but it's basically a reasonableness standard. If it's reasonably clear what the model is, it's not modeled for advantage, and isn't basically just a proxy (i.e., mostly parts that are a different model entirely that it could be confused for), you should be fine.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All-gw parts should save you from even the dorkiest rules lawyer, at least going off when I last played.

I remember this from back in the day. GW didn’t want competition and moron fan boys had Stockholm Syndrome.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

RangerScum posted:

Get a set of these, they are really useful and I've used them to cleanly separate plastic models from bases, clean up resin models, the works. If you need to cut through models / bases / whatever and can't use your snippers these things are incredible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LVOV4A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I've used other x-acto-style saw blades before and these things are so much sharper than everything else.

Done, thanks!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kill team is a really nice gateway drug. a big part of the startup cost is a few brushes and ten or so pots of paint, glue, a mat, a table, snips, lights, it’s nice to be able to buy all the hobby stuff for just a few models to start out with. there’s a million ways to spend $20 other than plastic on sprues with this hobby that will make your life easier and imo you should do that as early as possible rather than building up a big pile of unpainted plastic that you have to slog through using suboptimal tools and conditions because you blew all your hobby budget on mans.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Right before COVID hit my friend from 3rd edition days of 40K got me back in with a single kill team. Now I have ~2500 points of Eldar and over 1K of Space Wolves with a stack of other random boxes awaiting being opened. Oh and the Age of Sigmar starter box.

So yeah enjoy the kill team entry :)

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've not played since 3rd edition, but man, for some reason the Votann are really speaking to me. How feasible of an army would it be to buy one of their new Christmas boxes and a combat patrol?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
It was a while ago in the thread but wrt the leman russ looking like it would fall forward; the engine block (which in most cases is going to be the heaviest part of the vehicle) is located at the back along with the extra ammo storage. in the case of the russ I would say because of the shear size of the engine with the radiator being located near the base of the turret and exhausts at the base of the rear chassis the engine is more than large enough to offset the weight of the frontal armor and front mounted weapon.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Mazed posted:

Here's the link to the Warhammer World Events guide, but the tl;dr version is

a) they like to encourage conversions and think they're cool,

b)but also want to make sure you're not modelling for advantage or fielding anything that could be confusing or misleading,

c) so if you have a conversion that goes beyond a straightforward swap of heads or guns, email them and they'll tell you if it's cool or not.

https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2019/10/Updated-Model-Requirements.pdf

Other tournaments may have their own rules but they aren't likely to deviate all the much from the WHW template.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

BabelFish posted:

I've not played since 3rd edition, but man, for some reason the Votann are really speaking to me. How feasible of an army would it be to buy one of their new Christmas boxes and a combat patrol?

the main issue you're going to come across is that Votann recently had a pretty hefty points reduction to counterbalance their kind of substandard rules, so it's neat that you can have more lil dudes on the table, but it's more expensive in dollars to get to 2000 points. But, they actually don't have a ton of data sheets right now, so maxing out what's available is actually very feasible depending on your finances.

Those two boxes together are about 1100-1200 points, depending on enhancements.

If you're dying to go all in on the army and you really like it, buying 2-3 of both boxes would set you up really well for basically all comers and almost all their units outside of Thunderkyn, an Ironmaster, maybe 1-2 more boxes of Pioneers, and maybe some more Sagitaur.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Are non-primaris marines at all good to use now? I have more than a company's worth of beakie (Rogue trader era) marines with old style rhino-chassis vehicles. (Plus the start of an old genestealer cult army with some original IG and 3 leman russes for captured PDF) I vaguely think about getting back into playing sometime, and also think about just selling them off, since they still seem to have demand on ebay and I haven't used them in a really long time.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BabelFish posted:

Seen a lot of people say it's great - a few of the christmas boxes feel designed to fit perfectly with the combat patrols.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Are non-primaris marines at all good to use now? I have more than a company's worth of beakie (Rogue trader era) marines with old style rhino-chassis vehicles. (Plus the start of an old genestealer cult army with some original IG and 3 leman russes for captured PDF) I vaguely think about getting back into playing sometime, and also think about just selling them off, since they still seem to have demand on ebay and I haven't used them in a really long time.

There are still a number of firstborn only units and it's also perfectly acceptable to use them as standins for primaris units with the same armament. It's personal preference.

E: oh, wait i reread your post, RT marines are pretty tiny these days but people are always psyched to see em on the table

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 30, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BabelFish posted:

The Christmas Box is like literally all meta units, two of which have been sold out for months (Hearthguard and Sagitaurs). If you're in love with their look definitely get it. The combat patrol is good too. Uthar/Kahl is a good leader, you need Warriors, Berzerks are... ok but the least valued unit in the army (that is already small) and Hernkyn Pioneers are really good.

If you're in love with space dwarves consider the following limited time sculpts if you are susceptible to FOMO:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/leagues-of-votann-the-ancestors-wrath-2023

She's a one time special sculpt of a Einhyr Champion (you get one in the Battleforce too) that you can order until November 6 and you'll never get her again. She doesn't have special rules she just looks neat. If it turns out you don't like space dwarves you can probably flip her for 150% the value in a year's time maybe, hard to predict the supply on these things.

Kâhl Yôht Grendok is a Warhammer store anniversary model and now that there's two months left in the year there's a pretty good chance that any Warhammer stores near you have had their anniversaries already. He's just a Kahl with a different pose but that's another limited run model that you can get if a store near you hasn't had their anniversary yet.

E: spend within your means, ofc, no need to chase value deals or limited models if you can't afford them. The combat patrol will be around forever.

Eej fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 30, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm somewhat reasonably sure that the christmas boxes have been designed to be compatible with the combat patrol/start collecting boxes for quite a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Here's the link to the Warhammer World Events guide, but the tl;dr version is

a) they like to encourage conversions and think they're cool,

b)but also want to make sure you're not modelling for advantage or fielding anything that could be confusing or misleading,

c) so if you have a conversion that goes beyond a straightforward swap of heads or guns, email them and they'll tell you if it's cool or not.

https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2019/10/Updated-Model-Requirements.pdf

Other tournaments may have their own rules but they aren't likely to deviate all the much from the WHW template.

Thanks for this, and all else who responded.

That's a big relief. I'm having a massive amount of fun with kitbashing. The absurd variety of ways to customize these dudes is like, the good kind of overwhelming.

Aside from HQ guys like that MoE, I'm focusing first on painting a Combat Patrol set who's got five grungy Fallen Angel legionaries with tarnished but identifiable marine accessories and guns (plus their crazy Helbrute granddad), five ultra-fabulous Emperor's Children close combatants with punk hairdos from a Necromunda Escher sprue, some Alpha Legion mooks with big guns, and a Dark Chaplain who's a very beautiful lady (!) made out of (some of) Fabius Bile's bits. With a couple of cultists who think they're in luck.

I don't have an elaborate backstory for them. In my opinion, there are so many things to signal bits and pieces of lore just from the various kits that you can look at a combination like that and get your own idea of what could be going on.