Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Was the commentary saying a possible date with Usyk in December lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is the one outcome no one was expecting. I saw a few punters that thought Ngannou had a chance to clip him (and Ngannou's power is loving insane) and plenty that thought Fury would pick him to bits. "Fury wins an unconvincing decision after getting knocked down" wasn't anyone's prediciton. Amazing. This stupid loving sport.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Hit Man posted:

Was the commentary saying a possible date with Usyk in December lol

I think it's a confirmed date actually

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about boxing than me. If the referee had noticed the elbow Fury landed should that have been a point deduction?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna miss francis in the cage, please take care of him boxing thread

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

duckdealer posted:

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about boxing than me. If the referee had noticed the elbow Fury landed should that have been a point deduction?

no it would have been a warning

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Ngannou looked legit. He would have a solid shot against anyone

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
I'm not a boxing fan but didn't fury get tooled there? Please explain the scoring for me

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kween posted:

I'm not a boxing fan but didn't fury get tooled there? Please explain the scoring for me

scoring is done in a round by round basis at the conclusion of each round. the winner of the round gets 10 points and the loser gets 9 points. if there is a knockdown the loser gets 8 points. if there are two knockdowns the loser gets 7 points. judges choose a winner based on an arbitrary estimation of punches landed, thrown, activity, etc.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

no it would have been a warning

Ok cool, thanks.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Kween posted:

welcome to the sport, friend. the fight was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. the Saudi Arabian government, as part of a massive sportswashing campaign, seemed to spend about a billion and a half dollars on this one fight to start something called Riyadh Season. as part of Riyadh Season, they have Fury already committed--before the fight--to have his next fight against Oleksandr Usyk in late December. Ngannou winning would have really messed that timeline up. And although apparently the British commission stepped in to sanction the fight at the last minute, it was allegedly going to be self-regulated by Saudi Arabia. and generally boxing, if you don't know, is arguably the single-most corrupt sport on Earth.

so basically, IMO regardless of the actual fight, if it was at all close (and this one was close, even if I had Ngannou winning), it was 99.99999999% going to Fury. there's just too much money involved and planning already done for the Usyk match.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well that has to be the best debut performance in boxing

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
So Ngannou got a 10-8 round and somehow fury won the other rounds he lost. Boxing judging seems a little bit wonky to me

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Kween posted:

So Ngannou got a 10-8 round and somehow fury won the other rounds he lost. Boxing judging seems a little bit wonky to me

buddy, believe it or not, this isn't even in potentially the top 25 or so hosed up decisions of the last 10-15 years.

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

welcome to the sport, friend.

I knew boxing was a little bit dodgy. Didn't know it was that bad. Jeez that's 😔

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the result isnt as bad as it seems, i actually had scored it 94-95 for tyson fury myself.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Where can you get the official Round By Round Scorecards?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im gonna miss francis in the cage, please take care of him boxing thread

To be honest, I plan to show up in the thread during NGannou's fights.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It really wasn’t a dodgy result at all. The sport, in its wisdom, is designed to favor doing slightly better for most of the fight over having a dominant round or two. You could argue that that’s backwards from our usual ideas of who won a fight, and I would agree with you; blame the gentlemanly fathers of the sport.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

at his age it would be weird for him to have more than a few more but hell I'm down for watching him take on hrgovic, zhang, wilder, or aj while fury and usyk are keeping each other busy

coathat
May 21, 2007

They canceled the post fight press conference

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if they dont do fury/ngannou 2 right away, whats the most attractive fight for francis? deontay?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Where can you get the official Round By Round Scorecards?

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1718436752321577376

coathat
May 21, 2007

Shouldn't have taken round 9 off

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol judges

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my card is identical to garners except i had fury with round 1

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Francis looked really good I hope he got paid because gently caress Dana White.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

algebra testes posted:

Francis looked really good I hope he got paid because gently caress Dana White.

it’s crazy to me that a lot of the guys who have been crossing over are basically making what they earned in their entire career in one night

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

YDKSAB

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

holefoods posted:

it’s crazy to me that a lot of the guys who have been crossing over are basically making what they earned in their entire career in one night

the old way of MMA, before the Fertitta's sold it off, was the advantage UFC had over Boxing was while their top end couldnt make close to boxing money MMA cards were uniformly more entertaining top to bottom as boxing undercards were horrendously underpaid and not good, while in UFC undercards were paid better than boxing undercard fighters and were worth watching the whole event for.

Since then however the gap between the lowest place UFC fighter and highest has grown astronomically and even the top end cant make boxing money while they stopped booking really good undercards. So there no reason to not just try your hand at boxing now instead - more money, probably better promotion, and just as rigged for whom the promoter wants to win more.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

the old way of MMA, before the Fertitta's sold it off, was the advantage UFC had over Boxing was while their top end couldnt make close to boxing money MMA cards were uniformly more entertaining top to bottom as boxing undercards were horrendously underpaid and not good, while in UFC undercards were paid better than boxing undercard fighters and were worth watching the whole event for.

Since then however the gap between the lowest place UFC fighter and highest has grown astronomically and even the top end cant make boxing money while they stopped booking really good undercards. So there no reason to not just try your hand at boxing now instead - more money, probably better promotion, and just as rigged for whom the promoter wants to win more.

This is a very good point. It's surprising how many of the consensus 'best UFC fights ever' weren't main events or even on the main card. UFC 157 had two of them. One on each of the two prelims. (Nah Shon Burrell vs Yuri Villefort is an absolute barn burner but was understandably overshadowed by Grice/Bermudez) You settled in for the whole show since, even if the main event wasn't great, at least one extremely cool thing was likely to happen elsewhere. It also served as great promotion for up and comers or guys who were looking to get back on track.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Enjoyed this from the guardian report

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/29/tyson-fury-floored-by-francis-ngannou-but-wins-by-controversial-split-decision

quote:

Fury seemed flat and all out of ideas as a quiet and almost bewildered crowd watched the final two rounds. Weariness also took its toll and Fury did not attempt to force the pace. It was almost as if he believed that the judges would favour him and so he allowed his fate to be protected by their decision-making.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KidDynamite posted:

i do not expect francis ngannou to get this decision.

i am legit impressed with him though.

His comfort and strength in the clinch did a lot of work for him. IMO he got more respect from Fury there than he did with his pretty well scouted movement and slipping the offense Fury threw out him.
I kept thinking how much bigger he looked that Wilder. I guess despite being 3 inches shorter, being 40lbs heavier will do that.

I think the optics of being that strong were in his favor in so many little ways which will help with his drawing power.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Yeah he seemed so much more solid than the typical lean heavyweight in the clinch. Even Joshua, who is made of muscles has a more v shaped body. Ngannou is like a bigger Mike Tyson or something.

If it was a battle for the title of baddest man on the planet, actually I think Francis took it. He seemed like the better and more dangerous overall fighter to me. Even if he can't woo the corrupt judges as well as Fury.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Back when there was ~12 cards a year and every single one of them was loving stacked, fight days were like xmas. Even if the fights were poo poo, they were consequential so we could all still speculate about what the poo poo fight meant for the division or whatever. And between cards these threads would just be some of the funniest poo poo on the forums. Amazing time to be a fan.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Happy to see Francis doing well and getting paid, but I think we're being set up for the rematch. I'm thinking Fury knew he was guaranteed to win the decision (which he did anyway, though it was close) giving him the opportunity to make it a closer fight than it needed to be. All through the fight you could see him suddenly gear up, land a few good jabs, utilize his movement, showing how good a fighter he really is... and then stop. It got too close for comfort in the 3d, but now everybody's talking about how close it was and the rematch will do gangbusters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Whether or not Fury was dragging it, I think this would be the best Fury matchup Ngannou could manage. For any incremental improvement he could make on countering, Fury will have a tenfold improvement in distance management and not loving with the clinch.

One thing Ngannou really capitalized on was having pretty varied punch speed, with some blistering southpaw 1-2s. I think that was part of why Fury was hesitant to engage, having been caught by a few fast shots throughout. Now he can just aggressively pop in and out planning on the worse case speed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yeah when Fury said Francis was an awkward boxer i wonder if the inexperience meant that his odd timing made it harder to gauge what speed and range his punches were going to come from

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

the paradigm shift posted:

at his age it would be weird for him to have more than a few more but hell I'm down for watching him take on hrgovic, zhang, wilder, or aj while fury and usyk are keeping each other busy

Zhang would kill ngannou, he’s scary powerful.

Ngannou would beat Hrgovic. I think wilder gets a late stoppage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Ngannou vs Andy Ruiz would probably be a good fight. I think Andy might be too fast for him though.