Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

This utterly freaks me out. I saw this, and immediately went "is this Deus Ex?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

I played about an hour so far and I'm still not sure what it is. It's as confusing as EYE Divine Cybermancy, but in labyrinthian SIlent Hill-esque environments, and then there's some cult and sci-fi stuff going on at the same time. Definitely has an atmosphere but I wonder how much of the game is gonna be wandering narrow hallways

I’m hoping the full game has better level design because it seems like the game is intended to be replayed since you do some character creation at the start.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This is cool, but parallax textures are one of those graphics features where it's all initially "ooo wow" until you realize that at every polygonal intersection point, the effect completely breaks. It'd be cool if they could use something like mesh shaders to add actual geometry to walls, though.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

What I'm curious about is what's the difference between parallax and normal mapping in this case.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Doctor Bishop posted:

What I'm curious about is what's the difference between parallax and normal mapping in this case.

Normal mapping determines which sections of a texture appear to be lit when hit by a directional light source - which gives the illusion of depth, whereas parallax involves different layers that move (or rather, are moved at different speeds when the player moves, also giving the illusion of depth. Think objects in the horizon in a 2d game moving slower than objects in the foreground, only on a smaller scale.

I don't think normal mapping is really possible or at least wouldn't be as effective in doom, mostly because light isn't really directional in it, though I'm sure someone will be able to correct me on that.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Disproportionation posted:

Normal mapping determines which sections of a texture appear to be lit when hit by a directional light source - which gives the illusion of depth, whereas parallax involves different layers that move (or rather, are moved at different speeds when the player moves, also giving the illusion of depth. Think objects in the horizon in a 2d game moving slower than objects in the foreground, only on a smaller scale.

I don't think normal mapping is really possible or at least wouldn't be as effective in doom, mostly because light isn't really directional in it, though I'm sure someone will be able to correct me on that.

Alright that makes perfect sense.

I completely forgot that normal mapping only affects lighting, so for a game that distinctly predates lighting effects as we know them, parallax textures would make the most sense as a standalone mod.

Since doing normal mapping would require a completely reworked lighting system as well, which would be a lot of additional work that wouldn't be nearly as universally applicable anyways due to how different mappers handle Doom's native sector lighting.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Playing this right now as well, and it feels like the level design especially needs more consistency. More specifically, it could use some inspiration from BUILD engine levels and the way they offered miniature versions of 'real places'. It tries to do that in the first levels, but from the second act onwards the levels become linear slogs rather than playgrounds.

I'm now currently playing the fourth last act, and I can't really tell you anything about what distinguished any of the levels from the last two acts.

Conclusion: fun game, but buy it on sale

I ended up dropping it (I will say my gaming sessions got a lot more fun when I became willing to drop a game if it wasn't fun or worthwhile enough. Though it "helps" that at this point in my life I am far, far more time constrained than financially constrained.)

Going through Prodeus and having much more fun. The sounds and gamefeel are that really good kind of crunchy. The enemies are a bit on the "visually noisy/busy" side though. Too much detail to cram into the pixelated look.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

You're half-right. Doom maps don't have "real" light data for normal maps to work with. GZDoom does support normal maps on surfaces that are being affected by a dynamic light, though, and I assume the prebaked lightmap stuff that's been in the works for Disdain will provide similar functionality.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Mmm, this gives me nostalgia for JDoom, with its light packs and Quake 2-level 3D models for all of the original Doom sprites. The lighting was very extra and it was incredible (in 2002)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't someone make pbr textures for gz that makes it look like a bad ue4 mod

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Civvie did little-known Gamecube shooter Geist for halloween. Wasn't there another game where you possessed people, I think a third-person one? More action-oriented as I recall.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Mordja posted:

Civvie did little-known Gamecube shooter Geist for halloween. Wasn't there another game where you possessed people, I think a third-person one? More action-oriented as I recall.

Messiah?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Mordja posted:

There's Maken X on Dreamcast for FPS possession. The third person one might be Mindjack?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I was thinking of Second Sight, which, far as I know, doesn't actually have possession, just other psychic powers. I dunno, I never actually played it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

FEAR 3? That was Fettel's schtick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That one Driver game was pretty whacky.

Does Battlefield 2 on PS2 count? That's not like storyline possession stuff though, you're just switching control between different dudes.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mordja posted:

I think I was thinking of Second Sight, which, far as I know, doesn't actually have possession, just other psychic powers. I dunno, I never actually played it.

There was also Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy around the same-ish period as Second Sight which did have mind control and action set pieces?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ynohtna posted:

There was also Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy around the same-ish period as Second Sight which did have mind control and action set pieces?

Yeah I remember both launched within a few months, with the same idea.

Also Messiah, of course, uses the possessed mechanic.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Holy god drat Cryptic Passage is so much better than Post Mortem.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy god drat Cryptic Passage is so much better than Post Mortem.

but they did miss a trick by not calling the first level "Maranax Marina"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

That one Driver game was pretty whacky.

Does Battlefield 2 on PS2 count? That's not like storyline possession stuff though, you're just switching control between different dudes.

Yeah, and also Third Birthday

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Civvie needs to do more console FPS games, maybe TimeSplitters next, or my top pick in that category Cold Winter for the PS2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cold Winter is pretty neat

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Mordja posted:

The Siren games have sightjacking. They are third person, but more horror stealth than action.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Civvie has done one or two non FPS games before so it would be fun to see him dip into more of those, something like Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction or Metal Arms: Glitch In The System would be good choices

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

drrockso20 posted:

Civvie has done one or two non FPS games before so it would be fun to see him dip into more of those, something like Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction or Metal Arms: Glitch In The System would be good choices

one of the Patreon-only videos is Sucker for Love

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Turbo Overkill has kicked out a massive update that adds a Doom 2016-style Arcade Mode, overhauls the custom maps stuff, adds most of the Episode 3 stuff to Endless Mode, implements Dualshock support and halves the file size from 15gb down to 6.65gb (one off!)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Serephina posted:

If you have legitimately bought Doom1/2 at any point in your life, those .wads are yours to do with as you please. The perfect digital replicas you downloaded off of limewire ages ago are not wrong in any way, the content creators and IP owners have gotten their contractually fair share and you are morally in the clear to source your temporarily misplaced (but still rightfully owned) content files from any place you fancy.

If you need to scrap up some missing content like Master Level files, nothing's wrong with the Steam ones afaik.

Oh I take that back which files had the red cross on the medkits replaced? lol whoops.

Society is entitled to doom 1 and 2 wads to make up for the time John Carmack killed his cat and the time John Romero made us his bitch.

Also doom 3 came with registered doom so if you bought that you’re morally golden. As for it sucking;

It does its job being a perfect example of what doom’s story would look like in a cutting edge 2004 game. At the time it was really hard to tell that doom style gameplay holds up on its own merits and wasn’t just the way FPS games used to be.

Doom 2016 did extremely well managing to have a meaningful story that’s not in the way and can be safely ignored if you want but I don’t think anyone had the kind of experience to pull off something like that in 04 when they were still trying to get the hang of basic FPS storytelling.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 30, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If I am not mistaken, I think
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1745510/Lunacid/

will release tomorrow.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Turin Turambar posted:

If I am not mistaken, I think
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1745510/Lunacid/

will release tomorrow.
yeah

and it's really good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started playing the second episode of Supplice, and it still needs a bit more of work, imo.

-E2M1 is notably harder than E2M2. The first map should be rebalanced.
-There are parts where you have a o2 meter with a time limit but there is no good feedback you are in space (no change of visuals, not sound of heavy breathing, just a little bar in the corner).
-The game is too dark, I do wonder if the devs really play with the default 1.0 brightness/gamma/software lightning.
-Some enemies are hard to distinguish (I still don't know what the difference is between the gunner and shotgunner, for example, and the Vespur enemy is grey and semi transparent is pain in the rear end to see, which I guess it's the idea but he makes too much damage then)

But it's all stuff it can be fixed with a pair of balance and polishing passes.

Despite the two month delay, the second episode is a bit shorter than the first one. Speaking of,t hey have delayed the game release to a more realistic end of 2024.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drrockso20 posted:

It's Eternity in there...

seriously though if there's anyone in this thread who hasn't watched Emesis Blue yet go do so immediately

You don't need to spoil it, but does that have any Jaunt-like stuff in it? I love that poo poo.

White Christmas is my favourite Black Mirror episode.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

-E2M1 is notably harder than E2M2. The first map should be rebalanced.

Well, E2M1's a bit of a gimmick level. It wants you to use the traps to do most of the work there. I'm willing to let an uneven difficulty curve slide for something like that. But It could probably stand to give you a shotgun at some point.

I'm actually more annoyed by E2M5- not because it's hard, per-se (though I think it leans a little too heavily on chaingun guys and those eggs that spawn the lil flying bastards for that difficulty), but because of how stingy it is with the ammo. It's the big climactic fight! Lemme fight the fight!!

Turin Turambar posted:

-There are parts where you have a o2 meter with a time limit but there is no good feedback you are in space (no change of visuals, not sound of heavy breathing, just a little bar in the corner).

It is super weird how low key that is for something the episode relies on so heavily. I also don't understand how it's supposed to work, narratively? Like I don't think Zorah's supposed to be wearing a suit, she doesn't seem to have any resistance to enviro hazards, so is she just... holding her breath? In space?

I had a similar signposting issue with the AIs in E2M4. It did not at all occur to me that I was supposed to shoot the little bit on top and I spent a couple of minutes running around the room confused before concluding the scripting had broken and noclipping out of it.

Turin Turambar posted:

-The game is too dark, I do wonder if the devs really play with the default 1.0 brightness/gamma/software lightning.

I don't have a problem with the light levels, personally- but this isn't the first time I've said that about something other people found too dark, so maybe it's my monitor or something.

Turin Turambar posted:

-Some enemies are hard to distinguish (I still don't know what the difference is between the gunner and shotgunner, for example, and the Vespur enemy is grey and semi transparent is pain in the rear end to see, which I guess it's the idea but he makes too much damage then)

So, the shotgunner's gun-arm is green and the gunner's is a sort of gunmetal blue-purple. It's not very noticeable, I agree- they need to have different shirt colours I think. The zombieman and the sergeant in regular Doom are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum for a good reason. Sound can be helpful, sometimes- you can hear the shotgunners racking their shells before they fire.

gently caress the vespur all my homies hate vespurs.

Turin Turambar posted:

Despite the two month delay, the second episode is a bit shorter than the first one.

Kinda sorta? It doesn't have its secret level, but neither did E1 when it launched. The maps do feel less expansive, though.

e: I do like the new guns. Slugger's real good for sniping and short bursts of high damage, and the flamethrower just murders poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I haven’t been able to find a lighting/color setting that makes Supplice really work visually for me. I feel like they’ve made a lot of exteriors darker since the initial release (“Urbex” was originally set during the day, I’m not crazy, right?) and E2 starts REALLY dark (haven’t got beyond E2M1 so far), which is good atmospherically at least. When you’re in bright interior lighting and close quarters you can usually tell what’s going on. But outdoors, most enemies are too hard to distinguish from the background at the kind of ranges they’re likely to engage you at. It’s a frequent experience in E1 to be peppered with rounds by guys so far away you have to squint to see them. Meanwhile the melee enemies are intensely in-your-face and can sometimes jump you almost before you know they’re there.

Somewhat related problem is that combat is also extremely swingy, with long periods where you don’t feel threatened at all interspersed with sudden-death encounters. Weirdly, given the huge scale of maps and the obvious inspirations from System Shock and Marathon, there are no checkpoints in this game. To my surprise I have like 9 hours in this game and I feel like at least a third of that must be repeating stuff because I died in some ambush. If you aren’t quicksaving every room you can easily find yourself shredded in one fight, which might not be so bad if every fight was like that, but it isn’t. I feel like I’m frequently lulled into a false sense of security playing this game. The basic rifle/shotgun guys, lost souls and imps are all strictly trash that can’t touch you except in huge numbers, even the pinkies and cacodemons aren’t as bad as they look. On the other hand, the chaingunners and especially the giant charging guys with the grappling hook (hell knights? Idk) are unholy hell and if you don’t kill them immediately then you’re toast almost regardless of your armor/health.

Idk, it reminds me of Back to Saturn X (or Hedon E2). It’s something that can only really be enjoyed when you’ve spent countless hours of your life in Doom 2 wads already. And I have, which makes it all the more absurd that something like Supplice leaves me feeling more neutral than enthused. Enormous effort and craft obviously goes into this game, you can see they care about their work and wear their inspirations proudly. They just have no idea how to stop, every single map must be 400+ enemy multilayered shitstorm that actual 90s shooters would have saved for the climax of the game if they even had the technical ability to achieve it without melting their workstation.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 30, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
A lot of the BTSX crew are the people making Supplice, so that makes sense. I’d also not be surprised if the levels being a bit smaller in E2 is a deliberate choice to pull back and be a bit more welcoming to people who haven’t played stuff like BTSX before/don’t know what they were getting into with Mechadon mapping.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
With all the discussion the excellent Quake 2 remaster has given the N64 version of Quake 2, it's time to give the incredible PS1 port its due:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqNusdhQ1fA

As others have noted, Quake 2 is a good example of the ugly, dithered, grainy, un-mip-mapped, unfiltered PS1 graphics actually complimenting the subject matter and atmosphere of the game far better than the cleaner N64 (or even 3D accelerated PC) graphics. Not to mention having the CD audio soundtrack is a plus here.

I did not know it supported the PS1 mouse (never had one myself) but that's pretty amazing, as were the tessellated graphics and even split screen deathmatch performance they managed to pull of with their custom engine. Also while the controls are very dated, some enterprising romhackers have actually fixed them as best they could: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3145/

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Assepoester posted:

I did not know it supported the PS1 mouse (never had one myself) but that's pretty amazing

Let Uncle Derek show you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fE3yzmKqXg

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You don't need to spoil it, but does that have any Jaunt-like stuff in it? I love that poo poo.

White Christmas is my favourite Black Mirror episode.

Yes among other things

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
re Supplice I'm stuck on e2m4 right now. You need blue and green keys to progress but in the green room nothing happens after everything's dead, and in the blue one the water rises but nothing else happens once I grab the key. Am I missing something?

yes i was missing something, I had shot the terminal before but it gave no indication it was doing anything so I didn't keep shooting. Was able to blow it up with the fire rocket thingy

Brolander fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, E2M1's a bit of a gimmick level. It wants you to use the traps to do most of the work there.

There was a fight in special, where the Vespurs appears from several places and you only have the melee weapon, that I had to repeat a dozen of times. I wonder if my issue was that I missed a trap closeby to use against them!