Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just want my citizens to use busses at all, I have stops in the densely populated city center that go to everywhere that you might like, including a depot that let's them go anywhere they want, and they still want to drive everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

I just want my citizens to use busses at all, I have stops in the densely populated city center that go to everywhere that you might like, including a depot that let's them go anywhere they want, and they still want to drive everywhere.
I'm in the same situation. Built an extensive tram network spanning all my city's arterial roads, dropped the fare to $4, and my best lines are only 33% full at rush hour.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also i think elementary schools are bugged the same as import/export and trash. I currently have a pop of 144k with only 14k listed as uneducated.... but have 31k people in elementary school?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cygni posted:

Also i think elementary schools are bugged the same as import/export and trash. I currently have a pop of 144k with only 14k listed as uneducated.... but have 31k people in elementary school?

Not all cims will get educated. Especially adult cims. I was tracking a family of 3 and one of the adults never got an education. Single income household and the 2nd adult was "idling" whenever I checked up on them.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I had the exact opposite problem. Bus stops overflowing with people and I had to spend an hour replacing the route with trams for higher volume.

Also, despite spending an inordinate amount of time on this, I am immensely proud of this interchange I made. Roundabouts are so inflexible wrt to placement in this game.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

Not all cims will get educated. Especially adult cims. I was tracking a family of 3 and one of the adults never got an education. Single income household and the 2nd adult was "idling" whenever I checked up on them.
For sure, but i still have 22% of my pop in elementary school despite only 8% of them not having already gone. Maybe they are all Billy Madison'ing it regularly.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cygni posted:

For sure, but i still have 22% of my pop in elementary school despite only 8% of them not having already gone. Maybe they are all Billy Madison'ing it regularly.

How do you see how many people completed each tier of education? I can only find screens to show me education levels attained (which is not necessarily the same thing?).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeC posted:

Also, despite spending an inordinate amount of time on this, I am immensely proud of this interchange I made. Roundabouts are so inflexible wrt to placement in this game.

That's a very normal looking interchange. Not enough roads.

My new one. Unfinished still, as you can see.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
There should be a mini-game where you are required to complete a circuit of your most dangerous intersections in rush hour while driving. The crazy one you had earlier would have been a banger.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 29, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cygni posted:

I’ve got 11,000 people and 3,600 of them want to be in college.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

CuddleCryptid posted:

I thought I had this problem then I realized that nodes =\= bus stops. May or may not be your issue.

WRT my own experience I really find placing bus stops a PITA. I place the nodes first and then place the stops, dragging the nodes. I don't have the foresight to place the stops first without the glowing line to show me where I'm coming/going from. Either I'm doing it backwards or I'm missing something.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jyrraeth posted:

I thought I had this problem then I realized that nodes =\= bus stops. May or may not be your issue.

WRT my own experience I really find placing bus stops a PITA. I place the nodes first and then place the stops, dragging the nodes. I don't have the foresight to place the stops first without the glowing line to show me where I'm coming/going from. Either I'm doing it backwards or I'm missing something.

Yeah I had a bit of trouble with that early on, mostly because I would place a bus stop down just to realize that it's on the wrong side of the street, requiring me to back out entirely to do it again. I now do it the same way that you do, ie placing the nodes and then the stops afterwards.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Buses I've placed the stops down then done the route, watching for the line dipping into the stop to make sure its actually at the stop. If it doesn't, it's a waypoint, which at least is handy for forcing a specific route for the bus to take between stops if I want them to avoid certain intersections or what-have-you.

I will say that I feel like I'm having an easier time routing metros compared to CS1, which was always a nightmare to adjust in my experience.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm wanting to like this game, but now that my city is 100k people, and each of them own at least 4 low-density dwellings, meanwhile my 2070 Super sounds like a Boeing Superfortress starting up...

I assume it's buggy but I've got insane educational coverage and it's 1000% low density and industrial demand all the time, and once every 45 minutes they want 1 commercial/office plot zoned.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piratepilates posted:

You know, I'm thinking the explicit separate treatment of "commercial" as a demand and zone is a bad decision, inherited from the SimCity series, and the more I think about it, the more I think they should have removed commercial as a zone.

When I think about all the commercial activities in places I've lived or been, they're 95% of the time in a mixed residential situation, either as the first floor of an apartment building/office, or the first floor of a medium density housing situation (rowhouses, or several story buildings). The other big case is things like malls, or strip malls. I think there's very few situations where there are individual shops existing as their own building outside of another context. There is one building near me that is like a 5 story all-commercial building, with different things in there like a BJJ gym and an HR Block, but it looks like it was either built originally as apartments, or as an industrial space and later converted to have commercial space in it.

There are absolutely tons of commercial buildings that have their own structures and parts of the world where mixed use zoning is an oddity instead of the norm. I have been in maybe five mixed use buildings and four of those would have been in Chicago and the fifth was a shop that someone ran out of their house's ground floor.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

There are absolutely tons of commercial buildings that have their own structures and parts of the world where mixed use zoning is an oddity instead of the norm. I have been in maybe five mixed use buildings and four of those would have been in Chicago and the fifth was a shop that someone ran out of their house's ground floor.

Yeah that whole thing was very confusing, have you not traveled at all person who's never seen standalone commercial buildings?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

piratepilates posted:

You know, I'm thinking the explicit separate treatment of "commercial" as a demand and zone is a bad decision, inherited from the SimCity series, and the more I think about it, the more I think they should have removed commercial as a zone.

When I think about all the commercial activities in places I've lived or been, they're 95% of the time in a mixed residential situation, either as the first floor of an apartment building/office, or the first floor of a medium density housing situation (rowhouses, or several story buildings). The other big case is things like malls, or strip malls. I think there's very few situations where there are individual shops existing as their own building outside of another context. There is one building near me that is like a 5 story all-commercial building, with different things in there like a BJJ gym and an HR Block, but it looks like it was either built originally as apartments, or as an industrial space and later converted to have commercial space in it.

What do you think this is zoned as:

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Having only been in 5 mixed use buildings is crazier to me than not seeing the standalone commercial that still exists in dense cities lol. My neighbourhood is incredibly dense and like 95% mixed but there are still gas stations, grocery stores, hardware stores, car dealerships, and even some fast food that are their own lots.

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post

Vahakyla posted:

prison

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I would love to understand more of the economics of Cims but unfortunately, it is a black box. Presenting the curious case of The Slater Family

A cute little family of 4 with Robert, Amber, and 2 children. I originally started following this family to try and understand how the parking situation works since I noticed a ton of cars piled up outside industrial areas in the dead of night. Clicking on a small hatchback revealed it was owned by the Slaters who had a "wretched" household wealth value (the very bottom level AFAIK). Robert Slater was an uneducated student who had to go to Pomproy for some reason to get a basic education in August (despite the fact that there was room in the High School and Elementary Schools).

He was a good student and graduated in September and immediately enrolled in my city's esteemed Ars Technica, the city technical college. I recently checked on him again in February of the new year and saw he had just graduated! YAY! Time to get that high-paying job and relieve yourself of that "wretched" economic existence. But wait....he is already wealthy? Hmmm, and he moved too. Where did this money come from? Amber, when I originally checked was an unemployed idler at home. Time to check her profile.

She got a job in November, right after Robert started post-secondary at a clothing store and then immediately jumped ship to a biofuel company. Did she get a high-level job despite having no credentials?

Job Level: Simple (!)

So apparently in CS 2 you can go from the worst possible socioeconomic status to the very top as a sole breadwinner working an entry-level job?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Telephoto lens photo spot.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Man the specialized industry zones really look like poo poo. I hope that improves over time. Having a vast oil field that's just a beige blob with one derrick in the middle is boring as poo poo.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

This thread needs more pictures of cursed interchanges

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MikeC posted:

So apparently in CS 2 you can go from the worst possible socioeconomic status to the very top as a sole breadwinner working an entry-level job?

Makes sense, there's not gonna be a complex simulation of debt for cims. If they get a lucky break, they can turn their situation around very quickly. Especially since "wealthy" seems to be a pretty easy bar to clear.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

MikeC posted:

I would love to understand more of the economics of Cims but unfortunately, it is a black box.

Got curious so tried took a peak at the code and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is bugged as hell.

It seems they’re solely using a household’s last daily consumption (spending) as a proxy for determining the wealth category for the UI. But the calculation for household wealth used by the game systems is a different calculation accurately based on income + net worth like the tooltip says. The consumption proxy might apply labels that look accurate at a glance, but breaks down on edge cases. I dunno, there’s only so much I can glean from decompiled code snippets but it looks like a huge loving mess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

How do you see how many people completed each tier of education? I can only find screens to show me education levels attained (which is not necessarily the same thing?).

I've looked in both the education overlay (I in the upper left corner) and the city statistics (barchart button in the lower right). They show the level of education for cims in either a pie chart or line graph.

Or is the implication here that people are graduating university without an elementary school education, and then going back and getting it later? Is that something that can happen? Because If so, lol. In CS1 and in the CS2 documentation I've found, cims had to be an appropriate age for the school and have completed the lower tier.

Also even if that was the case, I've had 30k+ elementary school capacity for like 2 in game years and the listed graduating time for elementary school is 6 months. I should have churned 120k+ students in the last 2 years alone. Something seems fishy.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Deki posted:

Makes sense, there's not gonna be a complex simulation of debt for cims. If they get a lucky break, they can turn their situation around very quickly. Especially since "wealthy" seems to be a pretty easy bar to clear.

While I don't expect the game to track debt, I do expect it to manage cim wealth in relation to the jobs they hold down. The entire point of educational infrastructure is so that your city can get educated sims to get better jobs to get paid more so they can afford higher wealth homes. If an uneducated single breadwinner can immediately make the jump from the lowest wealth category to the highest wealth category with a basic job then I think it turns a significant part of the game into window dressing. As Snowmanatee has said, maybe it is just a UI display error. The new apartment they live in isn't exactly super posh, its a 3/5 level mixed-use apartment building. It would also explain my earlier post of a "wealthy" family in a low-density home complaining about high rents. Maybe they aren't actually wealthy?

Snowmanatee posted:

Got curious so tried took a peak at the code and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is bugged as hell.

It seems they’re solely using a household’s last daily consumption (spending) as a proxy for determining the wealth category for the UI. But the calculation for household wealth used by the game systems is a different calculation accurately based on income + net worth like the tooltip says. The consumption proxy might apply labels that look accurate at a glance, but breaks down on edge cases. I dunno, there’s only so much I can glean from decompiled code snippets but it looks like a huge loving mess.

Thanks that would make sense if the UI is just displaying the wealth indicator wrong. Because everyone seems to be wealthy in my city unless you literally are fresh off the boat and moved in. Even "homeless" cims moving out of my city seem to be at least "comfortable" wrt to the wealth indicator.

Cygni posted:

Also even if that was the case, I've had 30k+ elementary school capacity for like 2 in game years and the listed graduating time for elementary school is 6 months. I should have churned 120k+ students in the last 2 years alone. Something seems fishy.

Many things in the economic sim are fishy right now so I wouldn't be surprised if it was borked.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

I need to stop looking at code because I don’t like learning that this is a real line of code from part of a calculation for determining the Household Wealth label: 40f * math.log(1f + 0.2f * averageDailyConsumption) + 25000f / (2f * averageDailyConsumption + 190f) - 224f; :psyduck:

Somehow this results in.a number between -20 and 20 that is used to map to Wretched, Poor, Wealthy, etc. Who knows if it's totally broken, or 224 just needs to be changed to 234. Well, hopefully the devs know.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 29, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think this game has probably a ton of really horrible problems but “I spent 30 minutes reading snippets of decompiled code” feels like a truly nuts way to try and assess what they’re trying to do considering we already know poo poo is bugged and hosed up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game's got me hooked blemishes and all; the road tools are great, I like the industry stuff but do wish the lots looked less lovely. My city is only around 13k or so but it's basically been nonstop growth since unlocking high density residential. Money does feel a bit inconsequential as long as you keep enough of a buffer to last you till the next level up; I imagine this gets harder when levels slow up but by then you're probably making a profit anyway.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think this game has probably a ton of really horrible problems but “I spent 30 minutes reading snippets of decompiled code” feels like a truly nuts way to try and assess what they’re trying to do considering we already know poo poo is bugged and hosed up.

Me, at work, getting paid: I'm not looking at this code. Filed as "Cannot replicate"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

explosivo posted:

Game's got me hooked blemishes and all

Yeah this game is gonna be an all-timer of 1,000 hours played steam reviews with the thumbs down in its current state. I'm fully hooked and the running list of bugs/issues ive found is probably 100 long at this point... yet I still want to play more.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Double-Post for GamersNexus making a big in depth CS2 performance video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DX6mUY78s

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cygni posted:

Double-Post for GamersNexus making a big in depth CS2 performance video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DX6mUY78s

lol at low quality textures having dramatically higher resolution than high

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Growth continues. It's steady but very slow, I'm not sure what controls the pace of people moving in.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I don't get why all the services have giant parking lots when even while at max capacity my university with 2000 students has like, 5 cars in the parking lot at any one time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I decided to just go ahead and get the game and deal with the performance. No regrets! I'm getting stuttering and playing on low graphics, but honestly the game still looks pretty good to me!

Honestly, I didn't run into much jank at all. Pretty solid experience overall, though that might have been because I was primed for a real mess.

That said there is one thing this game needs: please, please, let me tax low density residential. I am absolutely sick of making vast seas of boring single family houses. I bought a game called Cities Skylines, not Suburban Hell Skylines.

If this is just something I have to deal with I kind of want to start over and spread everything out much more to accommodate these picky demanding greedy assholes.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

:hmmyes:

turn off the TV posted:

:shrug: It could be a side effect of where I've lived being all mixed-use stuff, or maybe it was a hastily thrown together idea, but I still do feel like the way CS1 and 2 handle commercial leads to this weird result of commercial-only districts that don't work with my idea of how it works in a city.

99% of Manhattan looks like this, a ground floor commercial area with residential or offices above it. Outside of denser parts of Manhattan, it's the same thing but with medium density residential. There are some outliers, like the new Hudson Yards mall, but that's a discrete mall that's co-mingled with apartment and office buildings. The other exception in NYC is less dense parts having a discrete mall on its own, like New World Mall in Flushing, or if you go farther out in Queens, other malls or strip malls.

I did zoom in to a random part of semi-suburban Paris before posting to see if it was a different story for European cities, but it seemed to be the same thing: lots of medium density residential, with ground floor commercial, and maybe the rare individual non-mall commercial building, but even then the commercial building was basically identical to residential buildings next to it, like it was a different use of the same kind of zoning.

Thinking back to where I grew up, in a heavily suburban suburb of Toronto, it was the same deal: the local commercial cluster was a big mall, centered in a city block bounded by roads, with its own internal private road and parking lot system, with a later addition of strip mall and individual stores, but were still self contained in like a mall "complex" within that block.

Going in to the city, there's even areas that have medium density residential buildings that over time have become entirely commercial shops, like Yorkville in Toronto, due to the commercial demands of the area.

Those pictures posted above as a counterpoint are good examples of explicitly commercially zoned districts. Maybe that does justify having commercial treated on the same level as residential and industrial, but I'm not sure I like the way CS1/2 implement it still. The pictures are reminiscent of Breezewood, PA, which is this weird tiny area that is an exit between two highways, where they put up a bunch of fast food shops as a service area for a highway. The other thing it reminds me of is the Vegas or Reno strip, commercial and hotel zoning, in their own self-contained complexes. CS1 modelled things like the Vegas strip at least, with the tourism district specializations, but I don't think CS2 has anything close to it, so you can't model an area that should only have big resorts and hotels and theatres and malls popping out of commercial zones.

Los Angeles was another area I looked at briefly to see what they do, since they're way more spread out and suburban as a city. I saw a lot of little commercial areas like these, which are commercial-only buildings, but even then they're like mini strip malls with their own parking lots, and make sense as like a modular system where you could add more stories or expand outwards to have more parking or take-out fast food.

I wanted to look at a smaller town as an another case, since I know towns in the former American frontier had a lot of that "main street with medium density mixed" kind of thing going on, and Cheyenne, Wyoming has that going on, but going a bit beyond that street view also shows a lot of single-commercial buildings that don't fit in.

So I'm not sure, I might not be on the ball on commercial not needing to exist as its own zone, but I think having mixed commercial-residential as one single separate residential zoning type is still not a great solution. The thing that one zoning type is representing is such a varied and dynamic idea of residential/office buildings. I still feel like all medium and high density residential, and office buildings, should have their own ground floor commercial capabilities outside of the "mixed" zoning option, and that there should be modular plopables for things like malls -- explicit commercial-only areas that feature a wide range of shops and services entirely self contained inside one continuous complex. The way I see it now in CS2, like 80% of my city would be zoned as only mixed residential-commercial (without specifying density) zones, to get close to what I'm used to in cities I've lived and been, with patches of low density residential outside of that, and industrial off to the side.

Maybe I need more time trying CS2, and zoning only mixed-zoning residential-commercial and seeing if it works itself out. I feel like I do have some bias from playing enough vanilla CS1 where the commercial demand and zoning ensures that like 1/4 to 1/3 of your city is zoned in these weird several story tall commercial plots that consume as much of your city as the industrial or medium+high density parts.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 29, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MelancholyMark posted:

I don't get why all the services have giant parking lots when even while at max capacity my university with 2000 students has like, 5 cars in the parking lot at any one time.

All the in-built parking makes me sad. I wanted to make a parking free city but every service building has a lot, single family homes have parking, and all the larger buildings have underground garages. I don't want any of you to have anywhere to put a car.

I hope it's not necessary to the simulation so mod assets can be parking free. And I hope when the CS2 version of RICO is made, the invisible garage parking is a building feature you can alter like changing the population or workforce. I want to make a big city with extensive transit where most people simply don't own a car at all. People can move into the city via public transit so they aren't required to have a car.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 29, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Great post.

I live in Finland and mixed use commercial is dominant on bigger urban environments here.

Separate commercial buildings serve more sub-urban / rural populations.

Of course certain types of commercial buildings are always separate like hypermarkets, malls, gas stations and really anything related to cars or construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

piratepilates posted:

What I think they should have done, instead of introducing the kind of odd "mixed" zoning type, and breaking with the SimCity tradition, is to remove it as a zone entirely and have it done as either an add-on to a residential asset, or as a separate modular plopable. Isn't that the way they're done in-building parking for assets in CS2 already? You zone a building, an asset is chosen to be built there, and the asset can have different levels of parking spaces. If the asset could contain and optional capacity for commercial in it, you could model how cities really work a lot better, and not have this awkward separate commercial zoning business. If the commercial demand builds up in that area, some of the residential spaces in the building could be overtaken by commercial.

You, uh, know that you can't just add a shop onto a house or apartment building arbitrarily in real life? You have to be in an area that's specifically earmarked to have a commercial business as the front-facing facade or a building. Earmarked via a 'zone'.

Via this 'commercial zone' idea towns and cities will be able to cluster shops in a way that they can design traffic flow and keep primarily residential streets quiet and creating shopping precincts.

(Also, in low density commercial areas in real life, when there's a mixed commercial/residential building, it's almost always structured as a commercial business that happens to have an apartment for the owner attached, not the other way around. In medium or high density, yeah, it's a residential building with a store attached )

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 29, 2023