Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Alternatively, you draw a fake episode frame, give it a production code, display it on the monitors in the animation studio, take a lovely photo, post it to 4chan along with a real leak for authenticity, and follow it up with a tweet about how mad you are about leaks. that'll keep the little bastards entertained for a while.
That's pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people seem to have forgotten how to do pacing with the rise of streaming. One thing about cartoons in particular is that decade of being locked into the 22 minute format has meant they have a very particular sense of pacing and timing, I think, and it can get weird when you suddenly don't have that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think Gravity Falls can't have too much of an emotional connection with the characters because there's a certain degree of ironic distance that the show has due to its overall sense of humor and worldview. It's kind of like asking Teen Titans GO to be emotionally resonant, although perhaps not as big of leap as that example.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing Alex Hirsch went on to make after Gravity Falls is Inside Job, which has a lot of similarities in themes.

Or at least help make, I think the experience of being overwhelmed making Gravity Falls really put him off from running a show on his own. I think Gravity Falls could've used another season like was originally planned, but Hirsch was kinda breaking down.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people seem to have forgotten how to do pacing with the rise of streaming. One thing about cartoons in particular is that decade of being locked into the 22 minute format has meant they have a very particular sense of pacing and timing, I think, and it can get weird when you suddenly don't have that.

Streaming wrecks pacing, and it ends up forcing viewing from start to finish chronologically if you ever really want to watch a show. Which is great for getting all these overarching narratives going, but it does limit the way people engage with things. If a show starts bad (and most shows start out bad), that makes it harder to get into it, and any bad episode can throw people off.

It's hard for shows to just be chill, non-prestige things now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i, for one never liked the idea of binge releases. i mean, functionally speaking there's not much of a benefit to them. "what? but they're all ready in one place to watch immediately!" you say? well yes, but the same could happen...eventually when they finish airing a season one episode at a time. i think people got tricked into the idea of getting convenience, when it's actually just an illusion. binge watching completely removed the fun, excitement and intrigue of analyzing a show's story and plot, and predicting what will happen in the next episode, all the while making the fans wait even longer than normal because a season can't be released until every episode is completed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

i, for one never liked the idea of binge releases. i mean, functionally speaking there's not much of a benefit to them. "what? but they're all ready in one place to watch immediately!" you say? well yes, but the same could happen...eventually when they finish airing a season one episode at a time. i think people got tricked into the idea of getting convenience, when it's actually just an illusion. binge watching completely removed the fun, excitement and intrigue of analyzing a show's story and plot, and predicting what will happen in the next episode, all the while making the fans wait even longer than normal because a season can't be released until every episode is completed.

It was funny when Marvel's WandaVision dropped in single episodes people seemed to have genuinely lost the capacity to process episodic television.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's still some of that. I keep seeing people react violently to what is obviously the start of a growing moment for a character.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

There's still some of that. I keep seeing people react violently to what is obviously the start of a growing moment for a character.

I said this in the BSS cartoon thread but this made the week by week My Adventures with Superman conversation excruciating

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I would describe it as a trend towards paranoid readings. The worldwide rise of right wing cultural trends following Brexit and the election of Donald Trump planted a seed of fear in paranoia in multiple generations of vaguely left of center young people and media consumers.

Combined with the widespread availability and misapplication of the language of social justice, this paranoia has created a mode of media consumption that is constantly on the lookout for sinister propaganda and hateful messages surreptitiously embedded in mass media.

This attitude is amplified in its absurdity by its almost exclusive application to all-ages and children's genre media. Grown adults are misusing 101 social justice language to alchemically transform shipping arguments and general dissatisfaction with the media they choose to consume into arguments that the media in question is politically toxic and crafted in murderously bad faith.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like it's actually harder for me to get around to watching these massive season dumps, because you can't really talk about it with anyone until you've watched the whole thing, so it's a big all-or-nothing. You have to think up front about whether you wanna sink like 6 hours into something (with breaks), which goes up against the spirit of TV shows generally being smaller, easily digestible bits compared to movies.

Even with a once a week schedule, it's easy to end up dragging your heels early on and then there's more and more episodes you haven't seen and then the whole show is out and then it's over, and then is it really worth trying to binge the whole thing anymore?

I have so many things I need to get around to, but my heart just wants to do the classic TV thing of turning whatever on and not have to build my own structure for what I watch when.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm always into Youtubers making very in-depth takes on Scooby Doo. Here's another Billiam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxznK2TFpw

Be Cool Scooby Doo was very good. He also gives his take on Velma that it's more trying to be a take on Riverdale than on Scooby Doo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Velma definitely has that stink of "show concept the creator couldn't sell by itself so they put the skin of an existing more marketable property on it" kind of like how that Netflix Wednesday Addams show is just Tim Burton recycling his concepts for a Mai The Psychic Girl adaptation that he had been trying to get made since the late 80's

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weirdly, Velma also appears to be specifically a case of 'the same show the creator has made at least twice already, but with a licensed character as her mouthpiece rather than herself'. Like hearing the creator is specifically an Indian pickme chud explained so much and why it appeared to be aimed at nobody.

And on the paranoia argument, it doesn't help there's been a few cases of progressive leaning media ending with a rug pull, like Persona 5 notoriously ending with every character discarding all their rebellious lessons and conforming anyway.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly, Velma also appears to be specifically a case of 'the same show the creator has made at least twice already, but with a licensed character as her mouthpiece rather than herself'. Like hearing the creator is specifically an Indian pickme chud explained so much and why it appeared to be aimed at nobody.

And on the paranoia argument, it doesn't help there's been a few cases of progressive leaning media ending with a rug pull, like Persona 5 notoriously ending with every character discarding all their rebellious lessons and conforming anyway.

Katsura Hashino's general writing preferences are Just Like That and are the thing that undermines his trilogy in Persona.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I always love is when heroes find something in common with villains but not in a "redeeming the badguy" way, more in a "I think you'd be interested in this proposition" kind of way. That's why I'm hoping that the Spiderverse movies end with Miles destroying the Spiderverse/canon itself to free the other Spiders from the obligations of letting people die to preserve it, which is my actual prediction, but it would be funny if alongside the likeminded Spiders they also went back to OIivia with just a "Do you want to see what happens when we destroy the canon? If you help us do it, you'll get to fight hundreds of spiderpeople, and ALSO see it first hand."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually I do wonder if all these paranoid tea leaf readings come from people used to reading fanfiction and web comics, which absolutely does have those wild tonal swerves and worst case scenario drama for the sake of drama out of nowhere, usually from authors writing as they go and not really having a consistent larger plan. And occasionally getting terminally, irreversibly infected by brainworms.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like hearing the creator is specifically an Indian pickme chud

Wait what does this mean

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm always into Youtubers making very in-depth takes on Scooby Doo. Here's another Billiam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxznK2TFpw

Be Cool Scooby Doo was very good. He also gives his take on Velma that it's more trying to be a take on Riverdale than on Scooby Doo.

Drew Goodin has a really funny Scooby Doo video too. Did somebody already post it? Anyway here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU-7kn8EXWA

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ccs posted:

Wait what does this mean

The best way to explain it is someone who is trying very, very hard to conform to what they think the social hierarchy values, usually meaning trying to conform if not parrot the beliefs of white men and elitism in general. Think Tom from The Boondocks. Mindy's "chud" part is her revanchist stances on gender and other weird themes that keep showing up in her work.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It bugged me that I genuinely couldn't tell whether Velma was in sincere support of or ironically poking fun at Velma's toxicity. If nothing else, it was a failure of tonal consistency.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
I got around to watching the new Cybersix bluray and the show looks absolutely gorgeous, especially in the last couple of episodes. TMS animated it and they were firing on all cylinders. It's got a ton of features like commentaries from cast and crew and even downloads of production materials like the show bible. I don't get much physical media nowadays but this release is totally worth it. It's a really interesting snapshot of the late 90's anime influence, emerging technology in animation, and trying to appeal to an older audience.

It's still so surprising that it aired, especially with the queer adjacent themes and the way episodes allow for silence and reflection. I only saw a couple of episodes when it first aired in the US but the aesthetic really stood out.

It didn't all age well though, one episode focuses on several Japanese characters that look like they stepped right out of a WWII propoganda poster. They never show up again thankfully but it's so out of pace with the rest of the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheThirst posted:

I got around to watching the new Cybersix bluray and the show looks absolutely gorgeous, especially in the last couple of episodes. TMS animated it and they were firing on all cylinders. It's got a ton of features like commentaries from cast and crew and even downloads of production materials like the show bible. I don't get much physical media nowadays but this release is totally worth it. It's a really interesting snapshot of the late 90's anime influence, emerging technology in animation, and trying to appeal to an older audience.

It's still so surprising that it aired, especially with the queer adjacent themes and the way episodes allow for silence and reflection. I only saw a couple of episodes when it first aired in the US but the aesthetic really stood out.

It didn't all age well though, one episode focuses on several Japanese characters that look like they stepped right out of a WWII propoganda poster. They never show up again thankfully but it's so out of pace with the rest of the show.

That's the thing is that it didn't air for long in the US. Like I think it made it through barely half its run before Fox Kids yanked it from its Saturday morning line up because they realized only after it was airing what kind of show it was. Same with Vision of Escaflowne. They bought it sight unseen and then absolutely poo poo themselves when the realized how mature it was and they couldn't hack it to bits to get around stuff like they could with some the other anime they bought and re-ran.

Up in Canada, however, our version of the FCC didn't give a gently caress because we never had the same Reagan-era moral panic that the Americans had so Cybersix aired its whole run and ran multiple times on Teletoon and Escaflowne also made it through a whole season run on YTV too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

By comparison, how were the original comics it was based on out of curiosity?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The Thought Slime video linked earlier covers that in decent detail.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

I read a few of them and uh holy poo poo there’s lots of bare breasts, sex, and the explanation of how Cybersix got her human name is really dark.

She comes across a car accident on a dirt road that killed the whole family who are still in the car wreckage. She notices that one of the boys looks like her a bit and so she steals his ID and his identity as a whole because apparently no one would notice anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's also stuff like how the main villain is literally Josef Mengele who transplanted his mind into a new body.

And then the really weird poo poo like Cybersix is pregnant, has a baby, the baby is kidnapped, brainwashed, starts rapidly aging, dies an old man, and is revived (as a baby) by the grim Reaper. While this is going on Von Richter resurrects Jesus and uses him to sell merchandise. But it's not Jesus, it was the dude crucified beside Jesus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Das Boo posted:

It bugged me that I genuinely couldn't tell whether Velma was in sincere support of or ironically poking fun at Velma's toxicity. If nothing else, it was a failure of tonal consistency.

I get the feeling the appropriate term might be 'insincere self-depreciation'. I've mostly used it for Woody Allen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling the appropriate term might be 'insincere self-depreciation'. I've mostly used it for Woody Allen.
https://www.vulture.com/2013/06/orson-welles-lunch-with-henry-jaglom.html

"O.W.: ...I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man.

H.J.: I’ve never understood why. Have you met him?

O.W.: Oh, yes. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.

H.J.: He’s not arrogant; he’s shy.

O.W.: He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is ­unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably ­arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Assepoester posted:

Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is ­unlimited.

I agree with most of that, but this is nonsense.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

I agree with most of that, but this is nonsense.

People find issue with this but it's describing a specific sort of person who thinks of themself as a meek underdog nice guy but is really just as egotistical and self-centered as everybody else. If you think that describes all shy people that's on you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

People find issue with this but it's describing a specific sort of person who thinks of themself as a meek underdog nice guy but is really just as egotistical and self-centered as everybody else. If you think that describes all shy people that's on you.
It is not "on you" if you interpret a statement beginning "Like all people with timid personalities" as an assertion about all people with timid personalities, no

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Good news is that shy people have one way they can distinguish themselves from Woody Allen

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

There's also stuff like how the main villain is literally Josef Mengele who transplanted his mind into a new body.

And then the really weird poo poo like Cybersix is pregnant, has a baby, the baby is kidnapped, brainwashed, starts rapidly aging, dies an old man, and is revived (as a baby) by the grim Reaper. While this is going on Von Richter resurrects Jesus and uses him to sell merchandise. But it's not Jesus, it was the dude crucified beside Jesus.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I read a few of them and uh holy poo poo there’s lots of bare breasts, sex, and the explanation of how Cybersix got her human name is really dark.

She comes across a car accident on a dirt road that killed the whole family who are still in the car wreckage. She notices that one of the boys looks like her a bit and so she steals his ID and his identity as a whole because apparently no one would notice anyway.

Eesh, sounds like the cartoon was a definite improvement then

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mycot posted:

No, it's a literal interpretation of the phrase "like all timid people". Like I said, I agree with everything else in the statement.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

YggiDee posted:

I love comics so much

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 3, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thiiiis is a good term and you're right, describes Allen to a T. It makes sense that it'd be subset of Nice Guy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TheThirst posted:

coincidentally i just finished watching the series a few weeks ago, ha. i agree with pretty much everything you said, it's got a lot of positive qualities to it, particularly the animation and themes (in the literary AND musical sense!). the only thing that bugged me about it, and really kinda brought down the overall experience was the show having far too many instances of goofy, childish moments (for comedic value) that took away from the more serious tone it tried to convey. particularly anything involving Jose.

still, a show that had a ton of potential with a lot of effort put into it.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Mr Interweb posted:

coincidentally i just finished watching the series a few weeks ago, ha. i agree with pretty much everything you said, it's got a lot of positive qualities to it, particularly the animation and themes (in the literary AND musical sense!). the only thing that bugged me about it, and really kinda brought down the overall experience was the show having far too many instances of goofy, childish moments (for comedic value) that took away from the more serious tone it tried to convey. particularly anything involving Jose.

still, a show that had a ton of potential with a lot of effort put into it.

In one of the extras they talk about the weird comedic inserts, basically the Japanese side wanted the show to be funny and the Canadian side wanted it to be serious. Between some disagreements between the studios and the show bombing in the US they never made a second season. That said the kid playing Jose sounds like he was having a blast recording the role.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished the first season of Clarence. Yeah this show owns. Some absolutely wild jokes for what's basically just a quotidian kids-being-kids thing, in the vein of Rugrats or whatever. e.g. the poor (okay, yes, lovely) teen that gets slowly and violently destroyed over the course of the season. The show goes some absolutely wild places, with increasingly frequent dips into nonsensical surrealism. It honestly starts really tamely. Early episodes tell stories about kids negotiating the idea of dating (when it's obvious they have no idea what that means) or learning to share cool toys. And then suddenly you get episodes about characters going to live in the sewers, or another where Clarence gets into a sleepwalking battle with a garage door.

I love the way the show characterises its universe, and the way it approaches childhood. These children are absolute loving monsters. Clarence is a hyper destructive lump of overbearing joy, Sumo is straight up feral, and Jeff... Jeff is just an absolute piece of poo poo, a Type A baby fascist who loves rules and maintains a narcissistic belief in his own inherent greatness despite, it turns out, being deeply mediocre at pretty much everything. Even the side kid characters are utter nuts, one's an unspeaking clown totem, another's just a big ball that giggles and rolls around. The school bully, Belson, is a level of irredeemable even beyond the standards of most of these kinds of things: selfish, privileged, lazy, disinterested, abusive, petty, a human lump with no interior life whatsoever. (In a great running joke Clarence maintains an absolute, unwavering belief in Belson's inherent goodness to a degree that borders on the chronically demented.)

But, like, despite all of this I absolutely forgive for their senseless nonsense since they do, for whatever reason, come across as genuinely childlike. The vibe is that these kids are still just kids, and they fundamentally don't understand how to interact with each other or the world at large. Also they're loving funny/terrifying/funny and that redeems a lot. Plus I love the little glimpses you see into the interior life of the adults who have to deal with them, particularly this awesome silly moment that reveals that their class teacher fantasies about being a failed actress since even that crushing reality provides more escapism than the horrible never ending misery that is being a preschool teacher.

I gather that because of behind the scenes stuff that the show changes tone a bit going forwards, though I hope this doesn't mean that it abandons a lot of what I like about it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started watching Once Upon a Time on Disneyplus because I'm a sucker for those types of stories and I never got around to it. I never mind when a show gets bad because at least it's still entertaining for me (so many times when watching a long show I see discussions being all "Oh, it all fell apart during season 4" but for the most part I'm still enjoying the ride during said moments), although I feel it's been fine so far, onto season 3 where they go to Neverland together. I love how Regina plays off the other characters, like the exchange in s3e01 where when discussing the mermaid this exchange happens when a storm starts brewing due to the mermaid's actions:
Regina: Now may I resume killing her?
All except captain Hook: NO!

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Live action ATLA trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=waJKJW_XU90

It’s a step up from the movie at least