Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Sean could probably kick my rear end, tbh, but lol at the idea of putting a bullet in a choke hold or karate chopping your way out of an assault rifle attack. These pundits and the people who listen to them every day, for all their talk about delicate snowflakes who need to toughen up, are the most fearful, paranoid, suspicious and easily triggered folks I know.

Don't sell yourself short, I'm pretty sure most of us could get around this kind of flailing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Angry_Ed posted:

Don't sell yourself short, I'm pretty sure most of us could get around this kind of flailing:

And he says this is a much better way of controlling mass shooters than even the slightest bit of gun control. Just absolutely delusional.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't even need to see below the header to know he's not grounding himself properly

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

I don't even need to see below the header to know he's not grounding himself properly

He looks like he's standing in prime "please kick me straight in the balls" position, so, probably.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Angry_Ed posted:

He looks like he's standing in prime "please kick me straight in the balls" position, so, probably.
Yeah but if he ever needs to hit a target two feet in front of and to the right of a person attacking him, he's all set.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The literal point of a pistol is to kill people outside of striking distance.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Discendo Vox posted:

You articulate falsifiable claims by constructing them in terms the material that would be sufficient to falsify them. The broad form of your current position is as far from falsifiable as possible, because it can morph to justify itself from the continued existence of any policy you disagree with, which is asserted as the product of a deliberately nebulously defined "powerful".

The narrower subclaims that could be falsifiable, such as "Tons of issues have very clear solutions that most often involve the federal government itself not violating the laws of the US", you've not supported evidence for, and to the degree I can think of examples, the explanation lies in Congress and, usually, Republican interference with funding increases for individual agencies. Again, it's beneficial, and necessary, to work from specifics.

If you create an overarching general rule "from history" that explains everything, it's very likely an inductive historicism and directly unfalsifiable.

I have no idea what you're even trying to imply here.

Okay, that isn't really related to your previous claims, and you're also not providing a source for it, which would really help ground this in reality.

Then by your own statement it's lawful and not an example of your previous claim of the solution being not violating federal law.

In what way? Are you talking about, what, superpacs? The existence of lobbying laws?

That seems more like a function of economic size than anything else? What do you mean by "funding for political messaging"? How is this related to your previous claims?

...so am I looking for proportion of GDP that's spent on political messaging? I don't think those values are even calculated for a lot of places.

I refuse to do this. Instead I'm going to restate my position with better sourcing on some specific facts. You can take it or leave it. I'm not gonna go blow by blow with you creatively misinterpreting poo poo.

My whole point is that, in general, foreign policy is not something the US electorate cares about that much. Domestic concerns tend to take precedence for obvious reason. It's pretty consistent, but with some outlier years directly following 9/11. Seen most recently here:
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2022/11/03/key-facts-about-u-s-voter-priorities-ahead-of-the-2022-midterm-elections/

In most elections, foreign policy is a concern at the margin for the electorate. So no matter how much anyone says that US government support for Israel is derived from voters, that's not actually what we find animating voters. When we do find foreign policy animating voters.. you get stuff like the antiwar anti-Bush contingent and isolationist pro-Trump supporters. It doesn't tend to cut in favor of more support for affirmative foreign policy past 2002 for the anti-Muslim post 9/11 wave or the anti-Russia pro-Ukraine contingent in 2022.

What we also know is that US politicians are not responsive to the opinions of voters. Access to abortion is very popular:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/321143/americans-stand-abortion.aspx

I could go down a list of other issues as well, but I'll list a few (find sources on your own): higher taxes on the wealthy, higher minimum wage, single-payer healthcare, and gun control. There are a lot of issues where the electorate is clearly favoring a side by a large margin, and yet, we never see anything materialize in that direction on those issues. When we look at why that might be.. we find influence of wealthy people, multi-national corporations, and lobbyists to the point that people find it uncontroversial to blame the influence of money in US politics.

What some in this conversation are proposing is that foreign aid to Israel, an issue that has sometimes been more supported or less supported while always being controversial, is explained by the electorate. That doesn't make any sense. Politicians in the US are generally not responsive on any issue no matter how life or death. Support from the US to Israel has been extremely consistent and taken the form of military aid since 1967, directly after Eisenhower's farewell address warning about the military industrial complex.

The period post-1967 is also quite interesting. Anti-semitism continued to be mainstream in the US until Reagan. The Nixon tapes make that clear. The Birchers, the GOP candidates, etc. all make it clear that there wasn't a great love for Jewish people in America at the time. It was considered a "minority issue," for Democrats in the same way that civil rights were.. controversial and divisive to the majority of the electorate. Yet, American foreign policy continued to support Israel in the same way it supported other client states.

Post 9/11 you've seen Israel being folded into the US war narrative even when it doesn't make any sense. GWB's axis of evil and coalition of the willing are completely absurd. A complete flattening of culture and history that hinges only on whether or not the US sanctions or supports various entities. While the US was very anti-Muslim after 9/11 and much more anti-Muslim now than it was pre-9/11 (Muslims were a voting bloc for GWB).. the War on Terror isn't well-regarded by either party at this point. People are tired of going to war with Muslims and being told it's to protect us or it's for our freedom.

At the same time as you've seen growing fatigue with the War on Terror you've had the Israeli government become more and more extreme. Netanyahu was always an extremist, but recently he has engaged in literal Holocaust denial talking points to say Hitler was convinced to hate Jewish people by Muslims. The ADL considered that a fringe neo-nazi talking point. You have him quoting genocidal commands from the Bible to justify Israeli action against Palestinians in the last few days.

US support for Israel, historically, has never been driven by the will of the voters. Even if the will of the voters had been there, we see similar will in the voters for other issues where nothing gets done ever. So the position that everything being done in the name of Americans right now is somehow the will of the voters just doesn't fit with any historical or present facts. It makes a lot more sense that politicians of both parties have chosen to do it because it pays well and most voters either don't care either way.

What we actually see is that support for Israel right now is extremely soft and crumbling. Anti-semitic elements on the right post-Trump have been decrying it for their own reasons. A significant number of Democrats also now question why Biden is supporting what looks from every angle like a clear genocide to anyone with even a basic understanding of the facts of Gaza. The US electorate has been trained on a steady diet of Schindler's List and anti-Russian sentiment with explicit moral arguments. It's gonna be hard to convince them Israel is correct here.

What is being supported by the US government right now hasn't been on any ballot that most of us participating in this discussion have ever had a chance to vote on. So no, I'm not going to accept, "US politicians and foreign policy must support Israel because it's just so popular among the voters."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 30, 2023

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Get a room already

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I ain't reading all that.
I'm happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Weatherman posted:

Get a room already

It'll have to be a single because that's three and a half pages of rant completely detached from the previous two rounds of detached claims- I ain't touching it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That post seems to ignore the massive outsized advantage that rural areas have in our system. It doesn't loving matter that a majority of the people want abortion rights, or voting reform, or universal healthcare; you can win the presidency with a minority of the popular vote!

I don't think the Dems would be doing much regardless but acting like it's some simple "bing bing follow the money people" issue completely ignores the unfortunate and complex web of issues that fucks our system extremely hard. It's not just a matter of political will, there's a structural disadvantage that fucks people over who live in densely populated areas, while Jim Bob McShithead, (R, nowheresville population 5) has as much power in the Senate as the people from the state with the 7th largest GDP in the world.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Professor Beetus posted:

That post seems to ignore the massive outsized advantage that rural areas have in our system. It doesn't loving matter that a majority of the people want abortion rights, or voting reform, or universal healthcare; you can win the presidency with a minority of the popular vote!

I don't think the Dems would be doing much regardless but acting like it's some simple "bing bing follow the money people" issue completely ignores the unfortunate and complex web of issues that fucks our system extremely hard. It's not just a matter of political will, there's a structural disadvantage that fucks people over who live in densely populated areas, while Jim Bob McShithead, (R, nowheresville population 5) has as much power in the Senate as the people from the state with the 7th largest GDP in the world.

I'm not ignoring that. That's part of the reason the GOP gets to ignore a lot of popular issues, in fact!

My argument isn't that it's all money for every issue. That's my argument for I/P and some other issues, but in general it's hard to find the will of the voters reflected in actual policy enacted by politicians of either party. However, people really want to believe somehow that Israel is some deeply held issue in the US electorate so therefore it dictates policy.

That's not what you see in history or reality (as I laid out in my post at the request of Discendo Box).

Discendo Vox posted:

It'll have to be a single because that's three and a half pages of rant completely detached from the previous two rounds of detached claims- I ain't touching it.

What are you even talking about? You spent a bunch of time going line by line on my other posts. This is where you draw the line? You've gone soft, DV. You've gone soft.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 31, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I mean, it was an impressive wall of text.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

...! posted:

I mean, it was an impressive wall of text.

It's an impressive wall of text making a completely unrelated set of claims to their previous wall of text, pretending that their previous wall of text didn't exist and ignoring all refutations or interrogations of it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

It's an impressive wall of text making a completely unrelated set of claims to their previous wall of text, pretending that their previous wall of text didn't exist and ignoring all refutations or interrogations of it.

I was admiring its size, not its content.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

...! posted:

I- I mean, I hear a lot of posters prefer smaller walls of text, they're more...manageable. Not that my walls of text are small, or anything!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

...! posted:

🎵I am a big man
🎵Yes I am
🎵And I've got a big post
🎵Got me a big wall of text, way longer than most

🎵Held against your forum
🎵'Till you say "the gently caress is this?"
🎵Maybe it'll live rent-free in your head, just for the gently caress of it

🎵Can't reduce word count
🎵Write posts for hours
🎵My brain is smooth as hell, my mood is sour
🎵Post every inch I can, post through it somehow
🎵Me and my loving post
🎵Never gonna stop posting now

🎵Post post post post
🎵I'm gonna post all over here
🎵Post post post post
🎵Post post post post
🎵Post post post post

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Ah, the classic track from my favorite album, "The Down-Well Spiral (of Piss)."

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Here is Fox doing their duty to inform the masses about voting in Kentucky on Wed the 8th.
Main problem here is that voting is on Tuesday the 7th not Wednesday the 8th.

https://fox56news.com/news/kentucky/kentucky-general-election-view-the-2023-sample-ballot-for-your-county/amp/

The article by Dustin Massengill is all a mistake I'm sure and is still wrong even though its been up for 10h already.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is like the 80th time they’ve done this

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, but normally they give the correct time in English and then give the incorrect time in Spanish to make sure only the 'right' people vote. And they do it on a mailer. It's odd for them to give the incorrect information on a local news article that only their own followers will see.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are you sure theyre not just using the logical number date format where they go day number/month/year? instead of US english's madness of month day year.

so 7(th day)/11(nov)/2023 is the same as 11(mon)/7(day)/2023. though saying its wed the 8th instead of tues the 7th is suss.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

are you sure theyre not just using the logical number date format where they go day number/month/year? instead of US english's madness of month day year.

so 7(th day)/11(nov)/2023 is the same as 11(mon)/7(day)/2023. though saying its wed the 8th instead of tues the 7th is suss.

Huh?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Its already been updated, I assume enough people bitched and they changed it.
It said the 8th for at least 15h though.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Day/month/year sucks in certain cases, because if you sort "alphabetically" (smallest to largest number) then you get something like:

1 January 2023
1 February 2023
1 March 2023
31 August 2023
31 October 2023
31 December 2023

I like Year/Month/Day, then the list looks like:

2023 January 1
2023 January 2
2023 January 3
2023 December 29
2023 December 30
2023 December 31

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Day/month/year sucks in certain cases, because if you sort "alphabetically" (smallest to largest number) then you get something like:

1 January 2023
1 February 2023
1 March 2023
31 August 2023
31 October 2023
31 December 2023

I like Year/Month/Day, then the list looks like:

2023 January 1
2023 January 2
2023 January 3
2023 December 29
2023 December 30
2023 December 31

Yeah, ISO 8601 is like, no lie the genuinely superior date format, and a hill I'm willing to die on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Neito posted:

Yeah, ISO 8601 is like, no lie the genuinely superior date format, and a hill I'm willing to die on.

Army taught me to use day, three letter month, four digit year. Like "3 Nov 2023". Simple and impossible to misinterpret. The sort-by-year thing would be nice but that system was probably set up before everyone had digital, sortable spreadsheets at hand on the regular and it's my ingrained habit now.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Army taught me to use day, three letter month, four digit year. Like "3 Nov 2023". Simple and impossible to misinterpret. The sort-by-year thing would be nice but that system was probably set up before everyone had digital, sortable spreadsheets at hand on the regular and it's my ingrained habit now.

Yeah, 8601 wasn't until 88; the earliest date standard was 2014, which was still YYYY-DD-MM, but was in 76, so computer sorting of dates was already at least an inkling of an idea by then.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Master Shake going after false Jews today. No big whoop.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SpeakSlow posted:

Master Shake going after false Jews today. No big whoop.

Do I even want to know his criteria for that.

Is it just "do you support eliminating all Palestinians y/n?"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
The crankiest of fundamentalist radio cranks in my area, Rob Pue, has a weekly address that runs after certain programs on my local Christian radio station. Most of the time he rants a list of grievances about the Globalists, the Deep State, the LGBTQP (for pedophile) Agenda, and the scourge of illegal aliens on our country, standard old man yelling at cloud stuff. But, this week's address is just a list of memes he found online. Imagine a 70-year old man describing right-wing Facebook memes at you for 11 minutes with utmost urgency in his voice. It's glorious. I would inflict it on no one else.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I still think the 2020s should be considered the decade of accountability.
While it is moving slowly, it is still moving forward.
With a quite a few steps back.

"The company is asking for the $350,000 it paid Meadows as an advance for the book, $600,000 in out-of-pocket damages, and at least $1 million each for reputational damage suffered by the company and loss of expected profits for the book, which they argue plummeted given Meadows’s involvement in numerous investigations regarding Jan. 6."

"“As a result, public interest in the Book, the truth of which was increasingly in doubt, precipitously declined, and ASP sold only approximately 60,000 of the 200,000 first printing of the Book,” the suit states."

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4292647-mark-meadows-sued-by-book-publisher-over-false-election-claims/
https://www.khon2.com/hill-politics/mark-meadows-sued-by-book-publisher-over-false-election-claims/
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1720546141228409244

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

TAKE THAT DAD!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is that Chuck Lindel, the Iceman?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Angry_Ed posted:

As always it's simply"are you in my side"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Axetrain posted:

Is that Chuck Lindel, the Iceman?

What's left of him, yeah.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry_Ed posted:

Pardon. Front page CNN so I assumed.

It's super fun.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/03/media/fox-mark-levin-holocaust-cnn/index.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-denounces-fox-news-012926277.html

White House denounces Fox News anchor’s CNN comments

quote:

The White House joined CNN in denouncing Fox News radio host Mark Levin after he attacked the Jewish heritage of two CNN anchors.

On his radio show this week, Levin — who is also Jewish — described CNN anchors Wolf Blitzer and Jake Tapper as “self-hating Jews” during a diatribe criticizing the network’s coverage of Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza.

“Not only is Fox News aligning with those who fan the flames of hate – Fox is paying their salaries,” Andrew Bates, deputy White House press secretary, said Friday.

“Lying to insult the pain that families suffered in the Holocaust has absolutely no place in America. None,” Bates continued. “Sadly, this is not the first time in recent months that a Fox News host made sickening remarks about the Holocaust.”

Levin also claimed Blitzer’s parents “weren’t victims in one way or another, of the Holocaust,” which is not true. Levin responded to CNN’s criticism on his radio show Thursday, claiming the network was attempting to “intimidate” and “silence” him. He said CNN is “one of the most pro-Hamas media outlets in the country.”

He also made similar pro-Hamas comments about MSNBC.

Levin responded to CNN’s criticism on his radio show Thursday, claiming the network was attempting to “intimidate” and “silence” him. He said CNN is “one of the most pro-Hamas media outlets in the country.”

I'm hearing an awful lot of how the media, Democrats and liberals are anti semitic terrorists and it's a little disconcerting. I have this sinking feeling that we're staring down a 1/6 repeat that's more widespread and hostile if things unfold like I'm expecting them to with the next election.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Don't worry, Joe is working hard to prevent the next 1/6 by being as unelectable as possible by next November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't worry, Joe is working hard to prevent the next 1/6 by being as unelectable as possible by next November

Very possible but IMo either way it's bad. Biden loses and we get all the "see? We eliminated all the fraud this time" hot takes. He wins and/or gets jailed or whatever...well, now I think we see 1/6 escalated.