Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Alan Wake 2 can't be a serious game if they use the term ''Dark Place' and not expect a knuckle supper?

I don't recall anyone praising the first game for any part where you had to physically use the gamepad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8MsYislXJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

roomtone posted:

Are there any other good horror games from the PS1 era outside of SH and RE? I've played DIno Crisis, too.

Tried Echo Night and Mizzurna Falls just now but they seem too archaic for me too enjoy.

Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare and Parasite Eve 2.

Galerians and Martain Gothic are my troll answers. I like both but lmao.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Alan Wake 2 can't be a serious game if they use the term ''Dark Place' and not expect a knuckle supper?

I don't recall anyone praising the first game for any part where you had to physically use the gamepad.

Come now it's really not bad. I didn't hate the gameplay at all

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I saw World of Horror finally entered 1.0 so I bought it.

Have any new Old Gods been added since early access?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm extremely surprised at how slow of a start Alan Wake 2 has. Not in a bad way but just, I'm used to triple A games being so focus tested that you gotta get to the scary action within the first 10minutes.

Yeah I was surprised how focused it was on the detective work. Tbf Alan Wake 1 opened up with a combat tutorial but after that going from the boat to the car crash is a pretty long period too.

I feel like I should be hitting weak points more for Taken but the point tends to show up on the back of humanoids after you hit them with your flashlight and they tend to hide it pretty well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Disposable Scud posted:

Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare and Parasite Eve 2.

Galerians and Martain Gothic are my troll answers. I like both but lmao.

Galerians is a really fascinating utter mess. Both of them.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I saw World of Horror finally entered 1.0 so I bought it.

Have any new Old Gods been added since early access?

Yeah, at least four.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Not to spoil too much but it completely works for the tone Alan Wake 2 is going for.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alan Wake 2 owns because it's genuinely appoky but also isn't afraid to have its tongue pressed firmly into its cheek.

In the talk show, they have this eerie surreality to whats going on, but there's also Sam Lake doing the Max Payne face to the crowd to wild cheering.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Got so close to a hardmode clear of WoH but doom hit 100% on the last floor of the lighthouse.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

A Sometimes Food posted:

Got so close to a hardmode clear of WoH but doom hit 100% on the last floor of the lighthouse.

lol rippo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I wonder if anyone ever comments to the agent that Sam Lake plays that he looks a lot like Sam Lake, who canonically exists in the Alan Wake universe.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I wonder if anyone ever comments to the agent that Sam Lake plays that he looks a lot like Sam Lake, who canonically exists in the Alan Wake universe.

I really, truly love when Remedy games continue to twist in on themselves in an ouroboros of bullshit. :allears:

Ran into the sound desync problem that seems to plague the game, so I got to learn how to swap games between drives to get it onto my SSD in a way the EGS recognizes rather than having to redownload the whole thing! Learning is... fun? Learning is fun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alan Wake 2 is amazing and I'm sad people will ignore it because it's digital only, locked to Epic on PC permanently and has demanding system requirements.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
? I’m just about to buy it on the PS5 store

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Consummate Professional posted:

? I’m just about to buy it on the PS5 store

Yeah I’m playing it on ps5. It’s really good so far!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The reviews are too good to ignore, I mostly really liked Control

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll play it on my PS5 as soon as have internet in my new place

Next weekend ;_;

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CONTROL IS loving SCARY

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

CONTROL IS loving SCARY

Just trust in your boss, Ahti, and everything will be fine.

You’ll be the best janitor’s assistant ever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Alan Wake 2 is amazing and I'm sad people will ignore it because it's digital only, locked to Epic on PC permanently and has demanding system requirements.

Just install the epic store OP

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

More like Alan Sleep tbqh

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have too many games to play right now but I liked Alan Wake 1 and didn’t like Control so I’m curious how 2 is gonna go.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
does alan wake 2 do anything to change up the shadow workman enemy type? for as much as I'm fond of the original game that particular monster/entity design just fell completely flat for me, was never creeped out or intrigued once.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was doing a horror game marathon for October and I figured I may as well write out my thoughts on the games I played. Feel free to scroll past. Most of these I either tried in the past and gave up on for some reason or have been meaning to play for a while and figured October would be a good chance to clear out my backlog. Almost all of these are pretty old so don’t expect any world-shaking insights here. There might be spoilers but as I said, these are all pretty old games.

the white chamber – Mostly played this for the nostalgia factor (hell, I didn’t even play it during October). Not bad considering it was an amateur project released in 2005. Art style is extremely anime and the game is pretty short; even without a general idea of what to do, you could probably get all the endings within 4 hours. Everything is voice-acted, which is cool, but as I said before, this is an amateur project so the quality varies. Either way, a big nostalgia trip and it was funny thinking about the fact that I first played this like 15 years ago.

Resident Evil (HD) – One of the games I tried in the past and gave up on. Really liked it this playthrough. Got a little frustrated at times, mainly due to the door animations playing every time I went to a different room. Felt a strange melancholy as I played it—I just know that if I had given this series a shot 15 years ago, I might have been a lifelong fan. Oh well. Will definitely replay it and will definitely play the sequels (which I already own, naturally).

SOMA – Another good one and another one I’d tried before and given up on. Was frustrated at the beginning—looking for the tracer fluid annoyed me enough to spoil my mood for a few of the earlier areas—but this was another solid title that had a lot of tense moments. I think someone earlier in this thread commented on how it seemed like Frictional was worried the philosophical concepts weren’t horrifying enough they felt they needed to include monsters all over and I’m inclined to agree. A few areas (mostly the underwater parts) could have been just fine with no monsters at all. Regardless, another good horror game (though I doubt I’ll be replaying this one).

Dead Space 2 – One of the games I owned but never played. I liked the first Dead Space and this was mostly more of the same so, again, another solid game. I liked a lot of it but the last two chapters and the final boss were pretty lousy if I’m being honest. Might replay in the future but definitely not on Hardcore mode (the save restriction alone was enough to scare me off).

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs – Another game I owned and never played. Funny enough, I felt this had the opposite problem as SOMA. I had to deal with the pigmen so rarely it felt like The Chinese Room resented the fact that they had to include monsters at all and thought their writing would carry the whole game (it doesn’t, I’m afraid, outside that final monologue by the Machine). This one is honestly very strange to me—Amnesia was a sleeper hit and Frictional decided to give the sequel to a different developer? Wonder if there’s a story there.

SIGNALIS – My favorite game of all time. Tried the demo on a whim, immediately added it to my wishlist, and bought it the day it came out (which I almost never do). Really, I just replayed it to close out October on a high note. Playing RE (which was obviously an inspiration for this) gave me a new appreciation for the simple fact that it didn’t have loading screens each time I entered a new room.

I’ve got other horror games I have yet to play/finish but I’d like to spend some time playing more lighthearted stuff.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

idontpost69 posted:

does alan wake 2 do anything to change up the shadow workman enemy type? for as much as I'm fond of the original game that particular monster/entity design just fell completely flat for me, was never creeped out or intrigued once.

They are presented in a very different way to the original but that is still fundamentally the main enemy

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

I have too many games to play right now but I liked Alan Wake 1 and didn’t like Control so I’m curious how 2 is gonna go.
Depends on what you didn’t like about Control. If you didn’t like the slobbery superhero dash-and-health-item based gunplay, then you’ll be happy to know that once combat hits it is very much going for a Resident Evil type of stand-and-deliver survival horror. Evil Within 2’s a good comparison, if you played that.

If you want jokes, they got em.

If you’re looking for good writing, well, it starts with guys in masks telling a guy they’re about to kill “We’re the Cult of the Tree and we’re here to say, our job is to watch in a major way,” then having let him know this, they kill him. But not before the guy helpfully says the name of another cult, apropos of nothing, so the next time it comes up you can say to yourself “hey I’ve heard that cult name before.” Spooky lore!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ran into a fun bug in the Dead Space remake that caused the Necromorphs to vanish in Medical, save for their belt. Also caused the babies to lose their tentacles and be essentially neutered, so that made for a nice peaceful sprint for a spell to knock out a sidequest :allears:.

Specifically the jog to knock out the DNA sample of the Hunter. What looked to have triggered it was a Necromorph somehow being in the Security station and getting disabled as I physically entered the room taking out EVERY Necromorph instead.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for reminding me that they’re not letting me buy the latest Garth Marenghi audiobook

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rabid Boar posted:

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs – Another game I owned and never played. Funny enough, I felt this had the opposite problem as SOMA. I had to deal with the pigmen so rarely it felt like The Chinese Room resented the fact that they had to include monsters at all and thought their writing would carry the whole game (it doesn’t, I’m afraid, outside that final monologue by the Machine). This one is honestly very strange to me—Amnesia was a sleeper hit and Frictional decided to give the sequel to a different developer? Wonder if there’s a story there.

The context is that the other dev, The Chinese Room, are one of the groups credited with basically inventing the walking sim genre with Dear Esther (and the much less well-known, but very creepy Korsakovia). As such they were viewed as bringing major narrative and design chops to the Amnesia sequel, which as you noticed fell miserably flat.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Basic Chunnel posted:

Thanks for reminding me that they’re not letting me buy the latest Garth Marenghi audiobook

I bought my dad the Garth Marenghi book for Christmas and he's been calling me to recap what's happening.

Also since I'm playing Amnesia: The Bunker now and really into it, is the original worth going back to play? I loved Soma so I'm just worried it'll be Soma without any of the existential elements in it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Real early in AW2 but is the way they solve the combat getting real old real fast in the first game by having relatively little of it? Because so far that's the vibe.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
how much meat is there to the non combat gameplay? are you combing locations solving puzzles and navigating or are you just kind of going through story sequences?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
There's a solid amount of puzzle solving including some really cool stuff reminiscent of that one time travel sequence from Titanfall 2 but there's also a lot of Atmospheric Walkin's

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I wish there was a mod for World of Horror where you could fight that jackass that shows up when you've exhausted your funds and forces you to give him Stamina or Reason or increase your Doom. Just let me be broke, jerk!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

idontpost69 posted:

how much meat is there to the non combat gameplay? are you combing locations solving puzzles and navigating or are you just kind of going through story sequences?

There's lots of little puzzles including navigation puzzles yes

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s weird hearing Sam Lake’s actual voice come out of his face.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I do appreciate that they made a lateral move where instead of characters expositing on events and their significance in dialogue, as they typically do in Remedy games, AW2 now has full-length electro-pop songs that tell you what everything means through lyrics.

Also the characters still exposit in dialogue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bussamove posted:

It’s weird hearing Sam Lake’s actual voice come out of his face.

It's double weird when you consider that Matthew Porretta is dubbing over Alan Wake's actor in the same exact scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sam Lake is too Finnish and I don't like it