Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

credburn posted:

I honestly don't understand how combat works in Alan Wake. My goal is to Reach Lover's Peak. I've got like 12 bullets (10 are needed to kill anything) and there are maybe a dozen or so angry rednecks between me and the goal? I feel like such an idiot, I really just don't understand.

e: this is just an example. Okay, I guess I exaggerated the numbers a bit, but it still takes a full six shots to kill a single redneck and there are waaaaay more of them on the path to my destination than there are bullets. I tried just dodging and running past them but they all followed me to the end.

https://i.imgur.com/vBNJ9OP.mp4
It's been a long time since I played Alan Wake so forgive me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're not focusing the flashlight beam. If you just shine your light on them passively, it takes a long time to burn away the darkness, but if you focus the light on them (I think you do it by holding down the aim button) it'll go away considerably faster at the cost of burning up batteries.

I can't speak on the ammo since it's been a don't have many memories of the game, but I think that might help some of your issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

yeah you focus the beam by holding the left trigger/L2. you want to be careful not to drain the battery completely or you will have to shove in another battery. the little halo you see around the enemy will become smaller and then fizzle out completely when their shield is drained. then you sink those bullets into their face

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

John Murdoch posted:

Also +1 to being stumped by using TK on fliers. With the help of fellow goons in the other thread we figured out how readily they dodge is a factor of if they can see it coming, which also makes distance between Jesse and the enemy a consideration.

People who say "just use TK twice lol" apparently never ran afoul of the actual problem.

Yeah, like I said, it's fundamentally a misdirection thing: the fliers aren't arbitrarily just weak to telekinesis but still have a chance to dodge it, they're beaten by telekinesis because telekinesis is the tool you have for an indirect shot.

...but the game never explains this in any way, so it's on you to either:
A: Brute-force the solution (and then hopefully figure out why it worked),
B: Be told the solution by someone else,
Or C: Actually intuit that misdirection is possible, intended and viable in this game.

And I dunno, maybe if you're familiar with Remedy you'd realize that they're the sort of people that would do that. But to me that didn't feel like a plausible solution, because why would I expect them to even have sophisticated enough enemy AI to make misdirection plausible in the first place? This isn't a game genre where I'd naturally expect that to be there; if it were a stealth game I'd probably have tried it, but if I'm playing an action-based third-person psuedo-cover shooter (yeah, it stops being a cover shooter later, but at the time of that fight it still was) why would I expect that mechanic to exist if it isn't actively pointed out to me?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Given the number of shots needed to kill, I'm betting decent odds credburn did indeed get fooled into playing on hard. Early game, Taken should only need like 3~ shots to put down or 1 good headshot and hard basically doubles that if I remember right.

Also maybe worth clarifying that the combat isn't your standard third person shooter. Alan is actually a remarkably crack shot as long as you're aiming using the flashlight circle. You're either shooting to kill or you're focusing the flashlight to burn away darkness, there's no discrete "aim" mode necessary though I guess flashlight mode kinda doubles as one?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, like I said, it's fundamentally a misdirection thing: the fliers aren't arbitrarily just weak to telekinesis but still have a chance to dodge it, they're beaten by telekinesis because telekinesis is the tool you have for an indirect shot.

...but the game never explains this in any way, so it's on you to either:
A: Brute-force the solution (and then hopefully figure out why it worked),
B: Be told the solution by someone else,
Or C: Actually intuit that misdirection is possible, intended and viable in this game.

And I dunno, maybe if you're familiar with Remedy you'd realize that they're the sort of people that would do that. But to me that didn't feel like a plausible solution, because why would I expect them to even have sophisticated enough enemy AI to make misdirection plausible in the first place? This isn't a game genre where I'd naturally expect that to be there; if it were a stealth game I'd probably have tried it, but if I'm playing an action-based third-person psuedo-cover shooter (yeah, it stops being a cover shooter later, but at the time of that fight it still was) why would I expect that mechanic to exist if it isn't actively pointed out to me?

It's a perfect storm of questionable design decisions that doesn't really have anything to do with Remedy's house style or whatever. Well, except maybe the possibility that they're still stuck in that old school developer mindset of building the game around the skills of their own devs rather than properly accounting for inexperienced players.

For me it's the compounding of how otherwise hands-off and player friendly TK is (you never need to do fancy poo poo with it against any other enemy that I can recall and the game sure as hell doesn't teach you to think of using it that way) and the boss fight itself just not being all that well designed. Like, I'm pretty sure even people who didn't have problems reliably hitting Tomassi still kvetched about the fight because it's a noticeable bump in difficulty and you spend a lot of time trying to both avoid his rain of bullshit and deal with adds. Taken all together, it's very easy to fall into a trap of, y'know, staying down range of the boss that kills you in three hits which then makes him waaay more likely to dodge whatever you throw at him. His positioning in the arena also makes dragging things into the back of his head or from weird angles less of an obvious choice; you're never not looking up at him.

It's also weird because there's a second flying enemy type that also acts wacky and evasive (the chair dudes), but IME you can do basically whatever you want to them and it'll work just fine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like the old Carnival Night barrel problem; you can't expect players to figure something out when it's not taught to them or used at any other point in the game, and especially when there's tools they DO use regularly up to that point which seems like the intended solution.

There's a reason early games like Mario and Mega Man have famous analysis of their design that teaches players how to play the game simply through initial level design and incrementation on obstacles and challenges.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

John Murdoch posted:

Given the number of shots needed to kill, I'm betting decent odds credburn did indeed get fooled into playing on hard. Early game, Taken should only need like 3~ shots to put down or 1 good headshot and hard basically doubles that if I remember right.

Also maybe worth clarifying that the combat isn't your standard third person shooter. Alan is actually a remarkably crack shot as long as you're aiming using the flashlight circle. You're either shooting to kill or you're focusing the flashlight to burn away darkness, there's no discrete "aim" mode necessary though I guess flashlight mode kinda doubles as one?

Yeah I just beat the game, 3 shots for regular dudes, 2 for skinny, many for big dudes.
The game throws enemies at you on a timer, which in some aspects ruins the atmosphere since you get very little down time after the opening missions of the game. Unless its story/exploration specific segments you are constantly under threat of combat unless in the light. I can only assume they were concerned about players getting bored because later games developed by Remedy have considerably better combat pacing, allowing players to take in their environment.

I still enjoyed the game, but if I could half the amount of combat when simply going from A to B I would do it in a heartbeat. Especially because of how humorously fast Alan gets winded.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

It's an insanity sandwich. The top and bottom is the ravings of an asylum inmate, while the middle is sane in comparison.

If that's the intent you couldn't have picked a worse time to use as an example than this:

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah two primary weapon telekinesis games are a dime a dozen, you could easily find 50 of those in the bargin gamecube bin of a K-Mart back in the day.

Since the GC era was just when the first Havok games were being released and game developers were cramming TK into everything just to show off the fancy new physics. So you had TK shooters like PsyOps and Second Sight but also shity licensed games like GoldenEye : Rogue Agent, and that's just before HL2, which inspired even more of them with it's gravity gun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Normal gamers: Wow I threw a single projectile at this guy and it didn't work. Guess I'll just never try it again.

Me, a genius: I can't believe that fucker dodged my poo poo!! Now try dodging even MORE of my poo poo!!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was wondering when you'd show up to make the same exact condescending post you've made every other time it's come up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I was wondering when you'd show up to make the same exact condescending post you've made every other time it's come up.

It's a hard job, but someone has to do it

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

He's right though

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Taeke posted:

He's right though

Goons are insane. Between this and "never using flashlight batteries for the purpose they exist for out of a need to save them", this has been a wild couple of pages.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you aren't throwing away vulneraries to make room for more vulneraries in fire emblem then we are not compatible people

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

exquisite tea posted:

Normal gamers: Wow I threw a single projectile at this guy and it didn't work. Guess I'll just never try it again.

Me, a genius: I can't believe that fucker dodged my poo poo!! Now try dodging even MORE of my poo poo!!!

Vaas: Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SiKboy posted:

Arguing on the internet

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Taeke posted:

He's right though

I mean, it's sort of an inevitable end result of that fight, just because there aren't actually that many tools available to you. There's like, maybe two forms of the Service Weapon at that point, you're looking at a pretty short list of things you can brute-force the situation with, and if it looks like it's dodging trying to dodge all attacks but can't dodge everything, at least telekinesis hits for more per shot when it does get through.

That doesn't mean the fight did its job. Just because it eventually dies, and might incidentally die to the thing it was trying to teach us to use against it, doesn't mean it taught us how to use that thing. In fact, it kinda seems like a fair chunk of even the people defending it didn't learn, given most of them don't really say why telekinesis works, just that it does.

It's weird how some people act like 'it dodged the first time I tried, I should keep trying' is the right course of action there, given that if you boil it down that simply, it's also true of the Service Weapon; that's also not gonna land thanks to the guy dodging, so obviously the right answer is to just keep shooting with that, right?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Oct 29, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SiKboy posted:

A more careful reading of the text will reveal that the character giving you this advice is unreliable, to say the least, and given that it's an Ubisoft game, you achieve your win condition precisely through doing the same thing over and over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you shoot the flying enemies in control with your gun once, they will dodge, at which point you can throw a rock at them while they're unable to dodge again

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

John Murdoch posted:

Also +1 to being stumped by using TK on fliers. With the help of fellow goons in the other thread we figured out how readily they dodge is a factor of if they can see it coming, which also makes distance between Jesse and the enemy a consideration.

People who say "just use TK twice lol" apparently never ran afoul of the actual problem.

yah i was stuck for a bit too but when i figured that out fell in love with TK combat. i love that you can grab something behind them and brain them in the back of the head unawares. but also i get the "use TK twice" tip it just leaves out some important nuance: you toss whatever from whenever the first time to get them to dodge, but then toss something really close to them the second time because they wont have time to recover and dodge again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Taeke posted:

He's right though

Yeah I'm poking fun at people for not picking up game mechanics immediately but I've had that same Infomercial style: There's gotta be a better way! moment with two games I got around when I first got my PS4 like 6 years ago. Horizon Zero Dawn and Wolfenstein the New Order. Decided to jump into the PS4 thread to ask people 'Hi how do you do any damage in Horizon? I've been relying on the spear mostly because it does more damage than arrows and I don't have to craft anything to use it' and it turns out the robots explode and do like 60% of their health if you hit their elemental weak spots.

Why I decided to ask instead of just looking up a video I have no idea but everyone was perfectly willing to explain that elemental damage is the whole crux of the game and you should be exploiting that.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CJacobs posted:

If you shoot the flying enemies in control with your gun once, they will dodge, at which point you can throw a rock at them while they're unable to dodge again

Yeah I feel like "bait out the enemy's defensive move and then hit them while it's on cooldown" is a pretty standard videogame trope. Even if you're just shooting with your gun, the fact that they dodge the first shot and then not the next several ones should get the gears turning in your head. (I don't think "hit them from behind so they can't dodge" is even the intended way to deal with them, at least at first; that's more of a cool bonus for later when you've started to get comfortable with how your TK works and are experimenting with its quirks.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

You're being kind of a dick here, but you're not entirely wrong.

Cleretic posted:

I mean, it's sort of an inevitable end result of that fight, just because there aren't actually that many tools available to you. There's like, maybe two forms of the Service Weapon at that point, you're looking at a pretty short list of things you can brute-force the situation with, and if it looks like it's dodging trying to dodge all attacks but can't dodge everything, at least telekinesis hits for more per shot when it does get through.

That doesn't mean the fight did its job. Just because it eventually dies, and might incidentally die to the thing it was trying to teach us to use against it, doesn't mean it taught us how to use that thing. In fact, it kinda seems like a fair chunk of even the people defending it didn't learn, given most of them don't really say why telekinesis works, just that it does.

It's weird how some people act like 'it dodged the first time I tried, I should keep trying' is the right course of action there, given that if you boil it down that simply, it's also true of the Service Weapon; that's also not gonna land thanks to the guy dodging, so obviously the right answer is to just keep shooting with that, right?

I'm not trying to be rude, but it really seems to me that your argument is that it's a bad design decision to expect players to try new ways of using abilities when what they're doing isn't working. I didn't look at a guide to figure out how TK works, honestly I just paid attention and sussed it out.

Triarii posted:

Yeah I feel like "bait out the enemy's defensive move and then hit them while it's on cooldown" is a pretty standard videogame trope. Even if you're just shooting with your gun, the fact that they dodge the first shot and then not the next several ones should get the gears turning in your head. (I don't think "hit them from behind so they can't dodge" is even the intended way to deal with them, at least at first; that's more of a cool bonus for later when you've started to get comfortable with how your TK works and are experimenting with its quirks.)

It's not so much "from behind", it's "from out of their field of view." A small but distinct difference.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Oct 29, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it works just like telekinesis in real life, obviously

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is what happens when you don’t put instruction manuals in the cases anymore, nobody knows how to do anything

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Opopanax posted:

This is what happens when you don’t put instruction manuals in the cases anymore, nobody knows how to do anything

I think all games should have an unskippable America's Army The Videogame-esque tutorial, with written tests.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Another little thing in the America’s Army game. If you kill an instructor during the tutorial they put you in Fort Leavenworth and you even get your own little cell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Opopanax posted:

Let's be real, even if they had manuals there would still be people clueless

Personally my favorite little thing are games that let you skip a tutorial and also have hard modes right off the rip and people slam hard and skip the tutorial. Then they go online to talk about how bad and dumb the game is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

Another little thing in the America’s Army game. If you kill an instructor during the tutorial they put you in Fort Leavenworth and you even get your own little cell.

drat, esports getting more serious than I thought

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, esports getting more serious than I thought

I got friends still doing hard time for teamkilling.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The main menu of the Dead Space remake just loads in the last place you saved. If you hit "Continue Game," you immediately take control of your character. It rules

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Len posted:

Personally my favorite little thing are games that let you skip a tutorial and also have hard modes right off the rip and people slam hard and skip the tutorial. Then they go online to talk about how bad and dumb the game is

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1616948787607490562

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To reiterate for the 100th time, I tried throwing multiple things and doing the shoot + throw routine, and neither worked reliably because I was too far away. His dodge would be off cooldown by the time the second attack could land every single time. When I eventually killed him, the final blow was with TK, and not so coincidentally I was just about right up in his face. It was also maybe like the second time ever I hit him with TK.

It's weird to say "overcome an enemy's defenses with brute force" is a common design trope but conveniently ignore the opposite "some enemies have absolute defense against X so switch to Y" is just as common.

Like it wasn't as if I walked into the room, saw a floating dude, and just assumed he was immune to TK. It's the first fuckin thing I tried, and tried again, and again. And it didn't work! Experimentation did not get results, and I don't think it's fair to expect a new player, in the heat of the moment, to suddenly intuit that it's an issue of distance, line of sight, and/or overcoming an invisible dodge cooldown. As someone touched on earlier, if Tomassi had a visible shield you had to crack open and then quickly hit him again while it was down, we might not be having this interminable argument.

Before we tracked down what was really going on, I was even willing to chalk it up to a technical issue. But goons will fall over themselves until the end of time to insist it was 100% intuitive and clearly I wasn't pushing a button twice, or pushing it too slow, or whatever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I need to make sure to be on the lookout for people complaining about the Former fight so I can swoop in and act like a prick because I didn't have issues with falling into the pits he creates. :smug: Guess some people are just bad at pushing the levitate button. That's what it's there for, y'know. :smug: :smug:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Len posted:

I did this in Bug Fables for about an hour before realizing I should be more careful when I'm slamming through the Medals list and equipping everything I have (everything I have included the Hard Mode badge and the badge that makes enemies hit harder but drop more money)

Ever get two-shot by a Seedling? I have! :haw:

So I've been trying out a few more roguelike deckbuilder games because they're fun to play while listening to podcasts or watching movies, and the latest one I'm playing is called Deepest Chamber: Resurrection. It's a three-character party-based game, sort of in the style of a first-person dungeon crawler, where each class has their own deck, and they all get shuffled into a big pile together and the different decks synergize together in pretty cool ways. In my last run, I had a Thief character with the tried-and-true ShivShuriken archetype, where he's just constantly spawning Shurikens that cost 0 mana to use and deal piddly damage, but you get just gobs and gobs of them.

The game's unique mechanic is "boosting" cards. Every card has base stats, and then there's a little empty pip on each card. When you play a card from your hand, it will fill in the empty pip on the cards adjacent to it, "boosting" them. Some boosts make the card cost less energy, some make cards deal more damage, some make cards gain multiattack, some make cards summon other cards, it's all specific to which card it is and there are some very unique effects. All cards can be upgraded to unlock additional (and sometimes wildly different) boosts too.

As an example, you can boost the Wizard's Fireball once to deal +2 damage/+1 splash damage, but if you boost Fireball again you'll get a 0-cost "Scorch" summon card all the way to the right of your hand. These summon cards typically can't be boosted themselves, but it will boost any card you play it next to. So part of the puzzle in each combat is figuring out your order of operations. If you line your cards up right, you'll have a chain reaction of half-boosted cards that become 0-cost after their second boost, then that 0-cost summon card becomes the last card you need to play 12 cards in one turn.

There's also a ton of ways to upgrade cards, and some of them just break the game so badly in half that it's drat near impossible to lose a run on the lowest difficulty.

The very, very little thing I'm loving about it: One of the properties you can graft onto any card is "Slick". Positioning your cards is extremely important, since having the wrong card in the wrong spot could do something like put a 2-Cost card between the card you can play, and the card you need to boost in order to trigger your whole combo. Slick cards can be infinitely rearranged in your hand. Instead of left click-dragging to play, you right-click drag to rearrange Slick cards, and there's (currently) no cap on how many times you can do this.

So I start my turn with my Campfire Cooking card all the way to the left, but it's Slick, so I can move it anywhere. I play my first card, which (thanks to some synergies between the 18-20 relics I have, I really have no idea) spawns One Fuckload of Shurikens. I drag Campfire Cooking between two Shurikens, play both Shurikens to boost the Campfire card, then I play a spell that draws a 3-boost card all the way to the right of my hand. I drag the Campfire next to it, play it (1 boost) and it summons two 0-Energy steaks. I feed both steaks to my Thief (2 more boosts) to give him 2 strength, and then I play my fully-boosted card to repeat that effect a bunch of times. Now I can play my One Fuckload (minus two) of Shurikens and deal more damage in a single turn than the sum-total of damage I've done this whole run. :black101:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

This is just the "ProZD explaining a nonexistent card game" gag, you can't fool me

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I got around to playing Clan Eshin in Warhammer Total War 3. The clan has been moved to a new starting position in Cathay (Fantasy China) and your immediate neighbor to the east is a tribe of orks called the 'Dimmed Sunz' :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Triarii posted:

This is just the "ProZD explaining a nonexistent card game" gag, you can't fool me

that's fair, the example I gave is pretty basic but has a lot of moving parts. it's probably easier to understand the game mechanics to just see something similar in action:

mmhmmmm... :hmmyes:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The Arasaka ending for Cyberpunk 2077 is absolutely great in how strongly it underlines the fact the you hosed up. Your decision has made everything absolutely worse for yourself, your friends and the world at large, and most of the people you know either hate you or are staggeringly disappointed in you. It's exactly what you deserve for trusting a corporation in a cyberpunk dystopian setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

To reiterate for the 100th time, I tried throwing multiple things and doing the shoot + throw routine, and neither worked reliably because I was too far away. His dodge would be off cooldown by the time the second attack could land every single time. When I eventually killed him, the final blow was with TK, and not so coincidentally I was just about right up in his face. It was also maybe like the second time ever I hit him with TK.

It's weird to say "overcome an enemy's defenses with brute force" is a common design trope but conveniently ignore the opposite "some enemies have absolute defense against X so switch to Y" is just as common.

Like it wasn't as if I walked into the room, saw a floating dude, and just assumed he was immune to TK. It's the first fuckin thing I tried, and tried again, and again. And it didn't work! Experimentation did not get results, and I don't think it's fair to expect a new player, in the heat of the moment, to suddenly intuit that it's an issue of distance, line of sight, and/or overcoming an invisible dodge cooldown. As someone touched on earlier, if Tomassi had a visible shield you had to crack open and then quickly hit him again while it was down, we might not be having this interminable argument.

Before we tracked down what was really going on, I was even willing to chalk it up to a technical issue. But goons will fall over themselves until the end of time to insist it was 100% intuitive and clearly I wasn't pushing a button twice, or pushing it too slow, or whatever.

PYF Meltdown