Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Laterite posted:

yeah, yeah, the arsenic knife, we've all seen it

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

82 f on oct 28th in Wilmington de today. very normal!

those balmy almost-loving-november days!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I e seen so little written reporting about it. I have no idea what happened, the response, etc beyond these couple videos

yeah it's incredible that a city of like 1 million people was massively destroyed and narely a blipp[

then again we also had flooding in Pakistan that displaced tens(?) of millions of people and also no one outside this thread heard about it. just par for the course i suppose

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Nah, in the mainstream Pakistan and Mexico and Greece were a secondary or tertiary human interest story for a day, but there's been no follow ups and it's definitely blink and you'll miss it.

Nichael posted:

places that aren't CA continue to suffer and CA continues to be awesome this year

given how great it's been an ARKstorm this winter would be pure karma and I won't be able to complain if it happens

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Complications posted:

it.

places that aren't CA continue to suffer and CA continues to be awesome this year

given how great it's been an ARKstorm this winter would be pure karma and I won't be able to complain if it happens

it sucks here in CA for October tho, I like my cool foggy misty brisk fall days and it’s been hot and too summery. rest of the year has been great tho

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Nichael posted:

I just closed my pool and took the air conditioners out too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Complications posted:

Nah, in the mainstream Pakistan and Mexico and Greece were a secondary or tertiary human interest story for a day, but there's been no follow ups and it's definitely blink and you'll miss it.

That is CA October weather Delaware is having lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
God is giving Delaware what it deserves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1718244776871703004

Article mostly talks about Russia and it's "disposal" of radioactive waste materials in the Arctic, but the USA does it too. Difference is the USA buried its nuclear waste by alaskan native reservations and then sometimes would have a native hospitals built over it or bury it near drinking water resources.

the actual paper is open access and does discuss US and Canadian sites a lot too:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-37276-4

quote:

The CSP/FCSI dataset as of January 2021 shows about 8000 individual contaminated sites for Alaska and about 22,000 contaminated sites for Canada. About 18% (~3600) of these sites are located in permafrost dominated areas. Approximately 30% of the surveyed contaminated sites in the investigated permafrost domain of the North American continent are considered active, meaning that cleanup has not yet been completed or the status of the contamination has yet to be clarified. While the CSP and FCSI data provide relatively consistent information on site and treatment status, the two databases differ greatly in terms of information on industrial origin, historical record, and financial costs associated with site management. Therefore, we combine the two datasets only to analyze the spatial correlation between industrial sites and the occurrence of contaminated sites. A detailed analysis of toxic substances and their industrial origins focuses exclusively on the Alaskan data.

Within the Alaskan CSP dataset more than 60% (~850) of the contaminated sites located in the permafrost dominated regions are explicitly associated with industrial or military activity23. The CSP database further reveals that the annual number of newly registered contaminated sites peaked in the 1990s and decreased from about 90 registrations per year in 1992 to 38 in 2019, roughly following the pattern of crude oil production from the Alaskan North Slope (Supplementary Fig. 1). This example clearly shows that 20th century industrial development in Alaska led to an accumulation of contaminants that often remained at the industrial sites.

Based on the absolute occurrence of industrial sectors in the CSP data (Supplementary Fig. 2) we expect a large fraction of the existing contaminations to originate from the Industrial Processes and Product Use (~30%) and Energy (~25%) sectors23. These two sectors are responsible for more than 50% of the contaminations, but together account for only about 16% of the industrial sites in the Alaskan permafrost model domain. The CSP data reveal that fuels such as diesel, kerosene, gasoline and associated chemicals, constitute by far the largest fraction (about half) of the substances found at contaminated sites in the Alaskan permafrost model domain (Fig. 4). Substances with high aquatic toxicities such as mercury, lead, and arsenic are also amongst the top twenty of the most frequently listed substances in the CSP database. We emphasize that about 40% of the industrial sites, about 20% of the contaminated sites, and about 10% of the substances are labeled as unknown or not attributable in the database so that any relational analysis between these categories would be highly uncertain. However, our analysis clearly shows the magnitude and general properties of contaminated sites in Alaskan permafrost, highlighting the large amounts of hazardous substances that remain as a legacy of industrial activities.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Trabisnikof posted:

the actual paper is open access and does discuss US and Canadian sites a lot too:

You can tell the map is wrong as Nome has no toxic sites when gold miners and the military dumped tons of waste directly in town.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Vinja Ninja posted:

You can tell the map is wrong as Nome has no toxic sites when gold miners and the military dumped tons of waste directly in town.

I think that's because Nome lies outside of the >50% permafrost occurrence probability region so they didnt include it in the paper.

the source of their data, the Alaska CSP lists 225 sites in the Nome borough: https://dec.alaska.gov/Applications...ItemsPerPage=10

with examples like this one:

quote:

Site in and near village was used by the Army, Air Force and Navy from 1948 and abandoned in 1950s. The majority of contaminants were petroleum in soils. There were also low level PCBs and dioxins. Buried debris which occasionally surfaces from erosion or new construction has been a problem in the community. Unexploded ordnance reportedly buried near or in Troutman Lake. The investigation did not locate any ammo caches. See Facility Wide Site for complete action list. Site 18 at the northeast end of Troutman Lake inbetween the Municipal Building and the school. An investigation in 1994 didn't detect contamination over cleanup levels. Another investigation was conducted in 2001 due to community concerns. Low level DRO was detected in soil. Free product was observed on the groundwater surface in one well. Fingerprinting determined that the product was from a non weathered modern product so the spill was determined FUDS ineligible. A spill was reported in the area from a pipeline leak in 1997. The Gambell site extends west from North Beach to West Beach, south to Nayvaghaq Lake, and east to include portions of Sevuokuk Mountain. The site encompasses the Village of Gambell. Last staff assigned were Noland, Ortelee, Kalu, Stephens, Rutkowski and Brownlee. (rpltr6)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm in SW CT and it's the end of October and my neighbors uncovered their pool yesterday and their kids are outside in it right now at 8:30 pm on October 28th.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

I'm in SW CT and it's the end of October and my neighbors uncovered their pool yesterday and their kids are outside in it right now at 8:30 pm on October 28th.

this is the diary entries you'd find in horizon zero dawn rear end games

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it snowed on Halloween once

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Winter(tm) is an exclusive unlock for premium consumers that purchased the Mountain Biome DLC

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Complications posted:

hey we did lose one small tree/shrub from our yard in the tropical storm this summer

But yeah we had an extremely mild and cool summer, somehow not enough sun. Presumably El Niño will unleash it's wrath upon us this winter to make up for it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Paradoxish posted:

I slept in today. It was nice.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

tired: crisis actors
wired: crisis models

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nichael posted:

it was 30 in seattle then got up to like 50 or so. down to 30 again tonight :waycool:

it's really loving annoying to dress for.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

Recall Project Chariot, whereby a deep water port was to be created by "peaceful" nuclear explosions. The project was cancelled but seemingly as if solely to ensure the locals were poisoned anyway, radioactive contaminated soil was trucked in from offsite and dumped in the Alaskan wilderness to determine its long-term health effects on water tables :psyduck:

I’ve been reading about the peaceful nukular explosion movement in the fifties and man. I feel like this does get taught in school there’s just no aha moment where you realize just how insane it is. Or maybe I’m thinking of comic books, this gets taught in comic books.
Chariot is mind blowing because … well lots of stuff but the ‘well we knew it served no purpose but we were interested in modeling the destruction of local food supply’ and then it gets cancelled because wind patterns wouldn’t gently caress up the land enough. only to truck in a bunch of radioactive dirt and run some tests anyways. cool

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

kater posted:

I’ve been reading about the peaceful nukular explosion movement in the fifties and man. I feel like this does get taught in school there’s just no aha moment where you realize just how insane it is. Or maybe I’m thinking of comic books, this gets taught in comic books.
Chariot is mind blowing because … well lots of stuff but the ‘well we knew it served no purpose but we were interested in modeling the destruction of local food supply’ and then it gets cancelled because wind patterns wouldn’t gently caress up the land enough. only to truck in a bunch of radioactive dirt and run some tests anyways. cool

I feel like this was when they thought they could win a nuclear war if they just wanted it bad enough and were doing studies to prepare for whatever damage might happen from the Soviet second strike

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nix Panicus posted:

I feel like this was when they thought they could win a nuclear war if they just wanted it bad enough and were doing studies to prepare for whatever damage might happen from the Soviet second strike

What will really unsettle you is how many top brass still think that today

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
nuclear wars are good, and easy to win

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's right, you just need to know the winning move

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's right, you just need to know the winning move

A curious game. The only winning move is TO STRIKE FIRST AND ELIMINATE THE ENEMY! KILL! DESTROY!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m sure nuclear war won’t happen if we just vote for the right people

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

keep an eye on the biosphere for the next 75 years, I'm going to try something

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
the free market has invented a way for your nipples to appear erect, even in the face of ever-warming temperatures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjR2D5GelTo

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

smoobles posted:

keep an eye on the biosphere for the next 75 years, I'm going to try something

okay. can you get me a soda while you're out? it's kind of hot in here

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lookin good so far for october

Canada is cheating though

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

In news that is sure to shock everyone in the thread, some media has decided to report on things that Exxon has been openly saying for the last several years to their shareholders.

quote:

Exxon believes it is swimming with the tide, not against it. The company recognizes that carbon emissions will have to be cut more than two-thirds from their current rate of 37 gigatons annually to 11 gigatons by 2050 in order to limit global warming to 2° C (3.6 ° F)—the limit beyond which global catastrophe looms.

But Exxon simply believes this will not happen. In 2050, “oil and natural gas…will still be required to drive critically needed economic growth,” it predicts. Despite growth in renewable energy and carbon capture technologies, “oil and natural gas are still projected to meet more than half of the world’s energy needs by 2050.” Instead of falling to 11 gigatons annually, the oil giant believes emissions will be more than twice that: 24 gigatons. And a significant portion of that will come from Exxon itself.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Complications posted:

In news that is sure to shock everyone in the thread, some media has decided to report on things that Exxon has been openly saying for the last several years to their shareholders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzekAf650YE

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Complications posted:

they're right.

no one wants to be the one that starves out the people because they don't have fossil-fuel fertilizer for mega mono-agriculture necessary to sustain a world of increasingly erratic conditions and poor natural growing conditions. no one wants to be the one to take away cheap gas so people can commute in 8000 lb bubble to their wage slave job or buy treats meaning their suburban cul-de-sac ranch-style tracthouse is worthless. no one wants to be the one to tell the shareholder elite groups that maybe shares can't go up anymore. the only reductions will be involuntary as a result of loss of the control over the imperial periphery and internal sabotage and investment decay to the machinery of energy consumption

it's been obvious to everyone that can rub 2 brain cells that any sort of "green" (lolll) energy is only ever going to exist as supplemental energy for capital production and accumulation. never going to be a supplant

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

‘critically needed economic growth’

as long as this never changes, nothing else will

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Me, my four children, sixteen grandchildren, and sixty-four great-grandchildren gotta eat!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

every once in a while I remember about the Iranian(I think?) singer that I found when I tried googling what the bdell meme was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8DiBSB6Fwo

he's pretty good imo

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I experienced a new indicator of climate change: a record late appearance of an ice cream truck going down the neighborhood street this weekend. What was once a summertime occurrence is now appearing nearly six weeks into autumn. Sort of like the opposite of an early springtime bloom. It must have been near 80 degrees here in the DMV.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

it’s the tail end of October and it only recently started to feel like fall.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://youtu.be/CjTJv5QNEXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017

Complications posted:

Even the FF industry are finding it hard to believe no one is making them put the brakes on.