Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
it's okay, Cyno puts her in jail at the end of his quest.

I really did not like this new event with the 3 teams, I barely have 2 good teams. I'd probably have 3 if I could loving get Yae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

I don't think any jail will hold her.

Teenage Klee realizing that Jean can't actually stop her is going to destroy Teyvat.

I'd like to think that klee being long lived means it will take her decades to reach the teenage years and by then it will be somebody elses problem.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Anora posted:

it's okay, Cyno puts her in jail at the end of his quest.

I really did not like this new event with the 3 teams, I barely have 2 good teams. I'd probably have 3 if I could loving get Yae

Yeah, not a fan of this trend in combat events in general, and the toe dipping of penalizing use of trial characters is also concerning.

Really feels like testing for an even more whale dominated Abyss-equivalent mode.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Have they ever ported event stuff into Abyss? Obviously we haven't had new permanent combat modes based on them. I do think this event sucks, considering the convoluted instructions and setup for something that just feels worse to play than most potion/condenser events, but it probably doesn't indicate much to worry about. Point thresholds in this were still scaled very low despite the buff penalties for rental/low-rarity/repeat characters.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just used the same team three times in a row for the event. Thought it was pretty fun, and I’d much rather be fighting than doing busy work. The little timing based tap mini game buff thing was cool to imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, you guys do realize you can use the same character multiple times, right? The penalty for using the same carry twice and just swapping the supports is pretty minor.

I got everything and used Zhongli in every single team (and usually Kazuha twice)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They did make the input on the timing element satisfying, it just doesn't change enough between stages to stay interesting as the only thing. Though I'm sure they'll change that for at least one later version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thinking an event is gonna have a 'later version' is a bit presumptive. remember that labyrinth event with childe and xinyan that was super involved and had a fair number of mechanics unique to it and then never reran again or had anything like it ever happen again?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I feel like the size/complexity and it being an event from just outside year 1 are both reasons why it hasn't rerun in that form, though I swear we had a smaller-scale event after that was timed running through domains with battles. Simple combat events like this have tended to recur but yeah, feedback can always change things.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

thinking an event is gonna have a 'later version' is a bit presumptive. remember that labyrinth event with childe and xinyan that was super involved and had a fair number of mechanics unique to it and then never reran again or had anything like it ever happen again?

It's just this is the second we've had of this kind of event in the last six months.

It could also be testing for, I dunno, ZZZ. Like how there were a couple of little events like the lemonade stand and pokemon events in Genshin 3.x that got much more involved versions later in Star Rail.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This is already a similar/improved version of the first Fayz trials combat event where you charged up a potion that behaved like Nahida's E instead and nuked enemies with that. The balance was better this time around.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The "Misty Dungeon" events (2 so far?) took many ideas from Labyrinth Warriors and can be seen as spiritual successors of a sort.

I'd rather them just implement something like the Virtual Universe from HSR, which they could then use in a variety of different ways in future events, while leaving us with permanent roguelite content to play through instead of the abyss being the only "endgame" content.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont know why choosing 1-2 teams and their buffs for a combat event is reasonable and fine, but choosing 3 made me bored and a little annoyed but... it kind of did. I'm not justifying it but there you go. I have plenty of characters levelled to 70+ and got the gold award first time on each day but yeah, found it slightly annoying/tedious compared to the more common versions of "a researcher wants you do do a combat domain with buffs". Also, as I'm complaining, there should be a dialogue option for "I get it, its a combat domain with buffs" that lets you skip the entire dialogue of the intro quests because they are so wordy and not a single thing they say matters because the actual mechanics will be (sometimes badly) explained in a tutorial pop up after the dialogue is over, and knowing if the buffs are due to a "resonance crystal" vs "potion" vs "Hydrostatic pump emulsifier" literally could not matter less.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My only complaint is that unlike a lot of combat events like this, where you can quit out once you reach the score needed for primos without finishing the whole event, this time you fail if you do that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Who needs multiple teams when you have

https://twitter.com/LittleRedhoodd/status/1718224710037860414

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is that the kingdom heart

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I just did the two teams I've been messing around with lately (wrio melt and neuvilette + zhongli) and hyperbloom dot team.

this reminds me why I went back to spread/quicken over hyperbloom, though; I don't have a very good hydro applier

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

We finally get to see manic Chongyun! Best event

Also, for him getting his own story instead of being XQ's tagalong

I saw Chongyun and thought of you. Since you're pretty much the only person in Genshindom that uses him.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I ran oneof my good teams for the first part of the event (wanderer hypercarry), and tried to follow the gimmick for the rest. Stopping midfight to do a (simple) quicktime event is kinda annoying.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Stopping midfight to do a (simple) quicktime event is kinda annoying.

I keep completely forgetting to do that part. It really kills the flow of combat...

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm one of those sad players who have to share sets between a few supports, so I don't really have enough artifacts to field 12 different characters at once, which makes me less enthusiastic about this type of event.

I also can't seem to stop myself from trying out the trial characters, but always end up with no clue about rotations or good team compositions, so I get very half-assed results, and no desire for multiple retries. Ah well, I didn't need those crystals anyway.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Seems like that specific type of event only serves two purposes. First is by letting people test out powerful 5* characters they might pull on later on, and the second is for all the whales who spend hundreds of dollars and hours and have nothing else to do besides clear the Abyss once a month. The highest tier rewards aren't really much of anything, it isn't like they're locking people out of primos for using bad teams or being F2P

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oh my god I loving did it this time and with 20 seconds to spare when I just bombed 11-3 last time. Teams were of all things

Ayato/Rosaria/Nahida/Shinobu
Ayaka/Shenhe/Yelan/Kokomi

11-1 is so much easier to crowd control this round. There's zero threat to the monolith in the 2nd half because of how Lawachurl AI works so it's just a matter of finishing 11-1 Chamber 1 without sustaining over 40% damage to the monolith. 11-2 nothing really worth mentioning. Nahida antics handle Chamber 1 just fine. Freeze team cleans up chamber 2. 11-3 chamber 1 just feels like it's trying to finish it in under a minute to prepare for Chamber 2. 11-3 Chamber 2 I was prepared with full bursts for everybody so I could just immediately lay into them. Yelan obviously had to sit this one out, but Ayaka/Shenhe C1 with the 60% damage buff seemed just fine. A steady rotation of Shenhe burst->tap skill-switch to Ayaka->Ayaka skill->Ayaka burst->switch Shenhe->Shenhe hold skill->switch Ayaka->Ayaka skill->Ayaka charge until Shenhe buff runs out and rinse repeat while occasionally brining in Kokomi to Skill if Ayaka/Shenhe got low on HP and it was just a matter of whittling them down one at a time.

I'm actually not sure if I could have done it without the Shenhe C1 to always maintain the cryo buff though, considering they have over a million HP each, and because I hardly min max the game by any stretch enough to have super great teams meaning 11-3 is still kind of where I get off and my baseline is if I can 3 star it or not. The leyline cryo buff+Shenhe cryo res shred+Shenhe cryo buff+Ayaka self-buff meant each tick from her burst was doing about 30-35K damage and taking what seemed like half of either bosses HP at a time since they were remarkably cooperative to not dart around and get out of it allowing 90% of the duration of her burst to connect both times I got to use it. By far the bulk of the damage dealt was Ayaka's burst so.....

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tampa Bae posted:

Seems like that specific type of event only serves two purposes. First is by letting people test out powerful 5* characters they might pull on later on, and the second is for all the whales who spend hundreds of dollars and hours and have nothing else to do besides clear the Abyss once a month. The highest tier rewards aren't really much of anything, it isn't like they're locking people out of primos for using bad teams or being F2P

Can't spend 9 minutes to clear floor 12? :smug:

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
My best score in the event was when I ran Bennett/Klee three times in a row with marginally different support characters each time. You really don't need too many characters :/

Eimi posted:

Who needs multiple teams when you have

This one was also very silly. Better than hyperbloom when the enemies are pre-clumped. Switched Nahida to Sac Frags because enemies died faster than her cooldown could keep up with lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I like these gauntlet events because hordes of small enemies means I can use Noelle pretty effectively and the constant particles from killing stuff lets her have 100% uptime on ult. Don't even need suction because Noelle's attack arc is so huge with her ult up.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
At the very least it clears the bar of "isn't Hyakunin Ikki" so it isn't that bad despite complaints.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just did Yoimiya's second story quest as the absolute last possible thing pre 4.0 that I hadn't completed yet. Kind of glad I did things mostly in the order of release as there's a pretty strong sense of continuity throughout. Aside from the special novels you have to collect pages to unlock the volumes for there's absolutely nothing I can do pre-Fontaine anymore besides farming poo poo for some characters in those regions. Might as well focus on the Archon quest and current event I haven't really started. 4.2's flagship event is probably gonna require completion of Act V of Fontaine so I'll want to make sure I have that done over the next month or so and have it not be like Sumeru where I was constantly using the skip feature and missing context for a lot of stuff, who some characters were etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New talent book event should be up and running now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RareAcumen posted:

New talent book event should be up and running now

In asia. Starts tomorrow in NA.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I don't understand why this game doesn't have a permanent combat event. It's the easiest kind of content to make, just have a room with enemies in it. An algorithm could make it. An algorithm probably makes it already.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Is it just me, or has the America server been very flaky lately? Lots of hiccups and Reconnecting to Server... interruptions.

EDIT: Am I reading this right, that I get one shot at a Gilded Scale each week (one run on Azhdaha that can drop rewards), and that's if it decides to drop it instead of the other gold drops or none at all?

delfin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

In asia. Starts tomorrow in NA.

Oh whoops, I could've swore I had it set to America.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Maxwell Adams posted:

I don't understand why this game doesn't have a permanent combat event. It's the easiest kind of content to make, just have a room with enemies in it. An algorithm could make it. An algorithm probably makes it already.

I mean spiral abyss exists

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

delfin posted:

Is it just me, or has the America server been very flaky lately? Lots of hiccups and Reconnecting to Server... interruptions.

EDIT: Am I reading this right, that I get one shot at a Gilded Scale each week (one run on Azhdaha that can drop rewards), and that's if it decides to drop it instead of the other gold drops or none at all?

1. It's been dogshit to me, but that's mostly on my isp. I watched that loving oceanid cutscene four goddamn times because it'd drop connection for a whole second, which is intolerable to genshin. Nothing will make you hate the "writing" more than having to sit through its goddamn animations over and over.

2. That sounds like it's one of the specific boss drops? Yes, you can only collect rewards from him once a week, but if you specifically need that one and he's dropped one of the other two, you can convert it at the alchemy table. It's the second tab, I think? Does need that dream powder stuff, but you can buy that from the paimon shop if you're not drowning in it. It'll still take ages, but it's not as bad as it could be.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
You can also, I believe, fight the boss in other worlds even if you've gotten the reward this week from yours.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Weekly bosses also drop Dream Solvent semi-often which can be used to convert any of their gold drops to the other two types from that boss. Not enough to do it every single time, but I've also never really run out.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Welcome to the tyranny of hard-timegated resources. They should either drop the resin requirement for weekly bosses altogether, or at least let us fight them multiple times a week like HSR.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I do appreciate these kinds of battle events for allowing me to run teams like Thoma/Xiangling/Rosaria/Kaeya and making it feel almost as powerful as my Nahida/Raiden hyperbloom teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

delfin posted:

Bosses also have a chance to drop a Dream Solvent, which you can use at the crafting table to convert it to the material you beed