Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

i fly airplanes posted:

Why are you conflating Hamas and the people of Gaza as one?

How should I know?

I'm not sure if you're asking these questions in good faith here, it seems you're just trying to set up a 'gotcha' trap.

People should not do war crimes, Hamas can start with releasing the hostages, and some here need to stop 'contextualizing' war crimes. There really is absolutely no excuse for these actions. IDF has been rightfully called out on the forced evacuation orders, indiscriminate bombings, etc.. but on the other side, some here have been litigating every little thing from 'beheaded babies' to the 'border location' of the rave. Neuroliminal literally blamed the music festival victims as "stupid 20 year old ravers" in this thread. It's frankly disgusting.

If Hamas unconditionally released all hostages what would be the next step. Without them I'd expect Israel would be even more unrestrained in their destructive actions.

It's not a serious suggestion, anymore than asking Hamas to lay down and die.

If Israel wanted hostages back they could agree to a cease fire for some of them. But they are more interesting in punishing Palestinians than they are in recovering their hostages. Probably much less interested since that granny who was released went off script and spoke about how well they were treated by Hamas once brought into Gaza.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Marenghi posted:

It's not a serious suggestion, anymore than asking Hamas to lay down and die.
I dunno. The Israelis seem pretty serious about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ghassan providing more evidence of white phosphorous usage:

https://x.com/ghassanabusitt1/status/1718591201647976947?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Sprinter99800/status/1718561905055334884

Looks like Bibi got told to gently caress off by the military because he needs them on his side and they probably said we are not taking the fall for this gently caress up that you lied about blaming us for you idiot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pretty hilarious watching Bibi get completely dunked on so quickly into this war by his own military. This makes him look really weak.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/EpshtainItay/status/1718578424644514241

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hamas has successfully captured soldiers in the past and used them to negotiate the release of Palestinians.

An alternative version of the October 7th attacks that focused on military targets, rather than villages and a concert, would not be worthy of condemnation and might have been an effective tactic to put pressure on Israel. Sadly we know this is not what occurred, due to video evidence that Hamas itself recorded and posted to social media.

When they killed two soldiers and captured another Israel killed hundreds of Palestinians. Had October 7th only been an attack on military bases/outposts and police stations and they only killed/nabbed soldiers and cops there would be zero difference in how Israel reacted.

They also didn't brutalize or kill every civilian they could get their hands on as myself and several others pointed out the last time you or someone else made this claim. It's pretty easy to say what they did was bad without exaggerating what occurred.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I think its important to note explicit harm reduction to civilians in war is an extremely modern invention of international law, and even then, actors who genuinely try still have massive issues with soldiers and commanders diverging from the rules of engagement. Its unsurprising that HAMAS, a militia and not a professionalized modern army, did a ton of crimes. Its been the default in war for an extremely long time, even at a strategic level (See the present punitive expedition, and the fact their is an accepted term for punitive expedition). I don't see why Hamas would ever subscribe to that legal framework considering their enemy transparently does not in relation to them, outside of self-apologia in their propaganda.

It sucks massive poo poo, but do remember the litany of offenses Israel commits in kind. No shortage of monsters on every side.

This is Egypt and the rest of the regions red line, they will not accept a new destabilizing wave of Palestinian refugees.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 29, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

When they killed two soldiers and captured another Israel killed hundreds of Palestinians. Had October 7th only been an attack on military bases/outposts and police stations and they only killed/nabbed soldiers and cops there would be zero difference in how Israel reacted.
It seems like there's actually a very big difference, given that Israel's current campaign has killed 8000 and is still intensifying. Israel will obviously be mad at and retaliate against any attack against it, but in the past the costs of waging war were deemed too high to go this far, and they were forced to negotiate for PoWs. That's not happening this time - the wanton brutality against civilians means that the majority of Israelis now want to see Hamas destroyed at any cost, and international objections are significantly muted.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They also didn't brutalize or kill every civilian they could get their hands on as myself and several others pointed out the last time you or someone else made this claim. It's pretty easy to say what they did was bad without exaggerating what occurred.
I didn't make that claim in either of those posts. However, I think that it's reasonable to say that the plan was to kill/capture as many civilians as possible, given the tactics we saw on display (eg surrounding the concert, chasing fleeing civilians across the desert, subsequent waves of militants confirming that there were no survivors hiding etc). There may have been some isolated cases of militants sparing civilians but that does not change the overall intent of the attack.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I didn't make that claim in either of those posts. However, I think that it's reasonable to say that the plan was to kill/capture as many civilians as possible, given the tactics we saw on display (eg surrounding the concert, chasing fleeing civilians across the desert, subsequent waves of militants confirming that there were no survivors hiding etc). There may have been some isolated cases of militants sparing civilians but that does not change the overall intent of the attack.

Maybe you didn't make that claim previously, but you kinda just did now.

Also, what are you basing your analysis of the overall intent of the attack on? Just vibes or what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It seems like there's actually a very big difference, given that Israel's current campaign has killed 8000 and is still intensifying. Israel will obviously be mad at and retaliate against any attack against it, but in the past the costs of waging war were deemed too high to go this far, and they were forced to negotiate for PoWs. That's not happening this time - the wanton brutality against civilians means that the majority of Israelis now want to see Hamas destroyed at any cost, and international objections are significantly muted.

Yeah and there's a very big difference between killing two soldiers and grabbing one and killing 300+ members of the security forces.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I said come in! posted:

What I would like to see instead is for Israel to be removed from the U.N. the United States and the rest of the international community turn their backs on Israel, and commit to a total blockade of the country until they give up their decades long commitment to warcrimes.

Personally I'd like to see Elon Musk create a new Israel for the Jews on the Moon where they can all live in peace, but not before they plants groves of money trees to pay reparations and shoot Bibi into the Hauge with a canon like Looney Tunes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

My Hebrew isn't stellar, but it says roughly

5. Three proposed alternatives are:

Proposition A: civilian population remains in Gaza Strip, Palestinian National Authority government is created
Proposition B: civilian population remains in Gaza Strip, local Arabic government is created (?)
Proposition C: civilian population is evacuated from Gaza Strip to Sinai Peninsula

6. Details (only highlighted parts)

Proposition C is the proposition that will bring positive, long-term strategic advance to Israel
Proposition A and B are unacceptable (literally "suffer from major deficiencies")
Proposition A is the most dangerous for Israel

double jupiter
Feb 15, 2005
The gooniest goon of all. Goon. p.s. LOL Goon.

Diet Crack posted:

1 drop in an ocean my guy - people have told you ad nauseum that the music festival raid didn't happen in a vacuum

Intentionally murdering civilians "didn't happen in a vacuum". These intentionally murdered people are a "drop in the ocean".

Do you guys not hear yourselves?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

Are you talking about the same side shooting innocent youth at a music festival out of impotent rage, took civilian hostages and won't release them, and haven't offered anything for negotiations or stopped launching indiscriminate rockets at civilians?

thats correct

i think its perfectly reasonable to think the hamas side is more durable in any peace deal, this is statistically proven if you look at civilian deaths caused by each side over the years

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 29, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Diet Crack posted:

1 drop in an ocean my guy - people have told you ad nauseum that the music festival raid didn't happen in a vacuum
The evidence is continuously stacking every minute that Israel doesn't and does not want to act in good faith at all

IMO, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your thoughts when you start trivializing/excusing civilian deaths

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 29, 2023

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

This is a literal plan for ethnic cleansing in plain language. Like, if this is actually genuine(and it looks to me like it could be), this is literal my_war_crimes.txt.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kalit posted:

IMO, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your thoughts when you start trivializing/excusing civilian deaths

If you actually prioritize civilian deaths as something to be prevented that's just further evidence for their statement. You know which side of this conflict has been and is killing the most civilians.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

double jupiter posted:

Intentionally murdering civilians "didn't happen in a vacuum". These intentionally murdered people are a "drop in the ocean".

I wish you guys were as fierce about ongoing literal genocide.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Stringent posted:

If you actually prioritize civilian deaths as something to be prevented that's just further evidence for their statement. You know which side of this conflict has been and is killing the most civilians.

Why do you think I don’t prioritize preventing civilian deaths? And as I’ve stated multiple times ITT, I can hate both Hamas and Israel. I don’t need this false dichotomy of picking “a side” in this conflict

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 29, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/rjsalame/status/1718623867822829982
So should this be taken seriously or not?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Zionist government official funds trip to Israel by taking money from NY taxpayers. Weird to see state officials acting like they’re in the federal government.

quote:

New York taxpayers will be picking up the bill for Gov. Kathy Hochul’s trip to Israel last week, her office told Gothamist Thursday.

The governor’s office had initially refused to name the organization that committed to covering Hochul’s portion of the trip. Avi Small, a spokesperson for the governor, said in a statement that the UJA-Federation of New York offered to pay for Hochul and her staff to travel to the Middle East as the war between Israel and Hamas continues to unfold. Instead of waiting for the state’s ethics commission to approve the arrangement for a trip that already occurred, Small said the state would be stepping in to pay instead.

https://gothamist.com/news/we-now-know-who-paid-for-gov-hochuls-israel-trip-you-did

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

double jupiter posted:

This is a very 1st-World, privileged selective morality. It's also very widespread, because it's so useful .

There are several divides in the world public that inform stances on this conflict. Some are more visible than others. People who bomb cointries vs. Those who get countries bombed. Those who embargo vs. Those who get embargoed. Those who coup governments and those who get couped, etc.

For the average western media consumer, the 'personal', visceral act of a radical/guerilla fighter sawing off someone's head will always seem infinitely more evil and intense than that of a blue-eyed pilot dropping fire onto a civilian city block and and scoring ten times the number of kills. Hey, some heads -might- come off during the procedure, but it wasn't intentional. _Those_ beheadings don't count. The notion that aerial bombing campaigns and 'special forces' missions are innately virtuous and less violent than whatever the wogs do is intrynsic to the current status quo.

Likewise, blockades and starvation are designed to be invisible. Madeleine Albright's slow murder of 500,000 kids was famously 'worth it', and she was not wrong, in realpolitik terms; even the Human Rights hippies barely mention it anymore. To offer a smaller (but no less vile) example from my own country: In northern Brazil, one of the last-discovered native tribes, the Yanomami, was unti lrecently being blockaded and starved by local landowners/wildcat miners with the silent support of the Bolsonaro government and the Army. The pictures of emaciated, skeletal people and corpses would not be out of place in a holocaust documentary. And yet almost no one knew for months, even the brazilian agencies and NGOs that look out for this sort of things because 1- It's really far away and remote and 2- The besiegers have friens and money, buy ads in media, and the victims are 'just indians' and speak a funny language.

Gandhi sort of warped perceptions for more than 70 years with his successful, peaceful protests. admirable though it was, it also happened in a VERY unique historical moment that is not likely to happen again; when the mass punishment and ethnic abuse of a people was seen as evocative of the recent Nazi atrocities instead of, y'know, business as usual. The Mau-Mau rebellion, east timor and other cleansings show how short that time window was.

Robert Fisk was describing the Palestine situation as the last 'classic' colonial war 15 years ago. And colonial wars are, by definition, nasty and personal, with each side inflicting maximum pain on the other to get them to squeal and bug out. The big difference is that in the past, one side, usually the colonizer, had a metropolis to flee back to; French settlers abandoning their holdings in Algeria/Indochina to run back to France and rail that the government didn't protect their manor against the savages. This time, no side really has a first homeland to return to (other than the odd New Jersey car dealership owner dropping by to steal a Palestinian home so he can touch his origins).

The point of all this is that most 'moral' gauges are skewed when it comes to colinial conflicts and war in general, depending on who does it, how well the thing is going, and how visible the pain is. Nearly always in favor of the strongest side with more backers. Any effort to 'gentle' hostilities and maintain rules of engagement and conduct are admirable, but breaching them doesn't really cost the powers anything. Who is there to judge and apply penalties? Themselves.

Bloody sunday, Fallujah and Abu Ghraib were 'oopsies', blips gone from the radar, the perpetrators back home rich, serving as respectable consultants/media heads and smiling as they mow their lawns. Hey, if you think about it, the onus is on the wogs for not doing as they were told! Whatever the natives do when let out of their cages, though, it innately monstrous and representative of their entire people/government.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Szarrukin posted:

I wish you guys were as fierce about ongoing literal genocide.

Well, you see, it's okay to note that the genocide didn't happen in a vacuum, but not okay to note that Oct 7 didn't happen in a vacuum.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Sephyr posted:

This is a very 1st-World, privileged selective morality. It's also very widespread, because it's so useful .

cringe

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BUUNNI posted:

Zionist government official funds trip to Israel by taking money from NY taxpayers. Weird to see state officials acting like they’re in the federal government.
DeSantis down here in FL is doing something similar. He used taxpayer money to fly Jewish Floridians back to Florida from Israel, and has also said he has sent weapons and supplies to Israel (I'm not sure if he is legally allowed to do this. I would assume no).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

double jupiter posted:

Israel has intentionally murdered around 7k 8k civilians this round, and leading up to it several hundred in the West Bank this year alone. Of course in the last twenty years or so they've intentionally killed thousands upon thousands of Palestinians.

Why does intentionality only matter for one side?

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 29, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

Israel has intentionally murdered around 7k civilians this round, and leading up to it several hundred in the West Bank this year alone. Of course in the last twenty years or so they've intentionally killed thousands upon thousands of Palestinians.

Why does intentionality only matter for one side?

They've neutralized 13 Hamas officials. All that has happened for them to have that as their result.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I guess one of the ways Israel can ensure it keeps on perpetually receiving billions of dollars in economic and military support from the USA is to perpetually keep making new people that are willing to die in order to bring it down.

It’s actually very pragmatic of them.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Szarrukin posted:

My Hebrew isn't stellar, but it says roughly

5. Three proposed alternatives are:

Proposition A: civilian population remains in Gaza Strip, Palestinian National Authority government is created
Proposition B: civilian population remains in Gaza Strip, local Arabic government is created (?)
Proposition C: civilian population is evacuated from Gaza Strip to Sinai Peninsula

6. Details (only highlighted parts)

Proposition C is the proposition that will bring positive, long-term strategic advance to Israel
Proposition A and B are unacceptable (literally "suffer from major deficiencies")
Proposition A is the most dangerous for Israel

I'm not sure if we should be discussing random screen shots of papers but just Hebrew corrections: the Palestinian National Authority mentioned is the West Bank leadership (it calls for "importing" it). Funny enough, it also calls the friction between the PA and Hamas "the greatest impediment to the creation of a Palestinian state".

It doesn't really mean "unacceptable". Suffer from major deficiencies is a better translation indeed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kalit posted:

Why do you think I don’t prioritize preventing civilian deaths? And as I’ve stated multiple times ITT, I can hate both Hamas and Israel. I don’t need this false dichotomy of picking “a side” in this conflict

Imagine that the Warsaw ghetto was located in Germany (with many German communities located nearby), and a militant group within it managed an attack outside where hundreds of German civilians were killed or taken as hostages (alongside achieving lots of military casualties).

Would your perspective be the same ("both sides are bad and I don't support either")? If not, why not? Maybe you believe these two situations are fundamentally different in some way. If so, how?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Imagine that the Warsaw ghetto was located in Germany (with many German communities located nearby), and a militant group within it managed an attack outside where hundreds of German civilians were killed or taken as hostages (alongside achieving lots of military casualties).

Would your perspective be the same ("both sides are bad and I don't support either")? If not, why not? Maybe you believe these two situations are fundamentally different in some way. If so, how?

Not just German communities nearby but German communities that intentionally built next to the ghetto and moved there as part of a national project of restoring their claim to the land. Communities where living there made you a good patriotic German, communities subsidized by the German government who encouraged young families to move just outside of the prison walls. Those are all things Israel has been doing with the communities outside of Gaza and I think it's important when evaluating what happened.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I struck out a part that AFAIK is speculation about the Hamas attack.

If I entertain your hypothetical and a militant group from a nazi ghetto started targeting/slaughtering/abducting primarily German civilians in an attack outside, then yes, my perspective would be the same.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 5, 2023

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

mannerup posted:

In this hypothetical, did the militants also bring 8mm video cameras with them to document their atrocities while slaughtering women and children, including a bunch of young non-Germans attending a music festival and foreign workers from Siam, while also taking children and elderly people hostage?

Yeah I would say that behavior is abhorrent in both situations and wouldn't support the actions either.

And did it take place on the 50th anniversary of the invasion of Germany by the Jewish states of France, Belgium, Poland and the Netherlands in an attempt to conquer it?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mannerup posted:

In this hypothetical, did the militants also bring 8mm video cameras with them to document their atrocities while slaughtering women and children, including a bunch of young non-Germans attending a music festival and foreign workers from Siam, while also taking children and elderly people hostage?

Yeah I would say that behavior is abhorrent in both situations and wouldn't support the actions either.

i do kinda feel like they would have worn the gopros if they had them in warsaw tbh

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The real takeaway here that'll help to reduce civilian casualties would be to arm Hamas with more advanced missiles and bombs. Modern western governments are able to carry out their missions because the civilians killed by advanced bombing strategies are extremely palatable deaths, and not demonstrations of inhumanity. Allowing Hamas to bomb Israel more effectively would replace the unfathomably unacceptable direct murders of civilians with the reasonable and pragmatic exploding murders of civilians, even if the end result is technically an increase in deaths.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

mannerup posted:

Why wouldn’t the Warsaw ghetto fighters wear GoPros or do anything differently than what the Hamas fighters did? What’s different between the two armed groups that you think would lead to materially different outcomes?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

i do kinda feel like they would have worn the gopros if they had them in warsaw tbh

If it was modern times and they had the resources they would do the thing that is very common in modern armies, record the operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

E: never mind

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 29, 2023