Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Moon Garden is an interesting movie (not amazing, but interesting enough) that feels like Jan Svankmajer's Alice with the production value but general nonsense of 2021's The Blazing World. The creature design is very cool, and the whole thing looks fantastic, but it's a little too loose for anyone but genre nerds.
Just want to say that Moon Garden is maybe my favorite horror film of the year so far (unless we're counting Beau is Afraid.) I love dreamy movies and yeah, the writing is a little cliche, but as a parent of a six year old the nightmare imagery and the blurring of the waking and dream world feels REALLY authentic.

It feels like a J-horror sort of ghost story, especially in its monster designs, blended with Euro weirdness and I'm just really into that. What a cool vibe all around.

Definitely not for everyone but this one really got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Just want to say that Moon Garden is maybe my favorite horror film of the year so far (unless we're counting Beau is Afraid.) I love dreamy movies and yeah, the writing is a little cliche, but as a parent of a six year old the nightmare imagery and the blurring of the waking and dream world feels REALLY authentic.

It feels like a J-horror sort of ghost story, especially in its monster designs, blended with Euro weirdness and I'm just really into that. What a cool vibe all around.

Definitely not for everyone but this one really got me.

I definitely count Beau, and this makes me excited to watch it. I love the poster, definitely gives me Euro gothic vibes right from the get-go

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Roommate doesn’t like horror, doesn’t like gore but they had a great time the other day with Evil Dead 2 because the comedy made the gore and scares palatable

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Try dead alive. It’s really gross and gory but absurd through out. It may be too much but could be worth a go

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Steve Yun posted:

Roommate doesn’t like horror, doesn’t like gore but they had a great time the other day with Evil Dead 2 because the comedy made the gore and scares palatable

I mean the obvious choice is Army of Darkness.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd have to rewatch to make sure it was actually the reason, but I remember at the time even before the gunshots scaring the rest off but it, I thought it was the one standout with the size of its horns

Also I didn't think about it until later, but the rest of the goats surround it to protect it, just like the kids protected the Rotten in the school

I think you're right. Also perhaps the wife was already in on it and she was drawing attention to the possessed goat intentionally.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I needed bleak. I was hoping The Signal would deliver that but it was too jokey. Glad Evil delivered my misery.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

What does “watchable” mean in this context? I might’ve missed a post about it, this thread has been moving really fast lately.

I’m defining it as ‘would I just casually grab a soda and sit down to watch this some random Saturday afternoon’ rather than any reflection of quality. Then again, I guess quality would be a part of it in that if a movie was made in a dogshit fashion, I probably wouldn’t choose to sit down and watch it again, lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lumbermouth posted:

Rock n' Roll Nightmare has the greatest third act twist in cinema history

For a moment there I thought the twist would make the rest of the movie make some sort of sense, but no. It's pure art.

I watched Trick or Treat (1986) after, a solid absurd movie about how evil/awesome metal is. After those two movies, I might need to check my hair in the morning.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Finish it up with Rocktober Blood! The twist in that one is absurd! It's a blast.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw VHS 85 yesterday, thought most of it was fun, but man parts of God of Death were just upsetting

(Not the Aztec stuff though, that was right back to fun.)

Rewatching Suspiria '18 thanks to y'all and drat do I dig this. And then this evening is the haunted house train ride!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Finish it up with Rocktober Blood! The twist in that one is absurd! It's a blast.

This certainly looks in line with the Nightmare, I'll check it out!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Phy posted:

Saw VHS 85 yesterday, thought most of it was fun, but man parts of God of Death were just upsetting

(Not the Aztec stuff though, that was right back to fun.)

Rewatching Suspiria '18 thanks to y'all and drat do I dig this. And then this evening is the haunted house train ride!

There is nothing more fear inducing than a halloween hay ride

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rewatched When Evil Lurks back to back with The Crescent, just real bad times in two vastly different ways.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Watched Haunting of the Queen Mary with some friends and oof, there’s a movie that needed a solid hour of its runtime cut down

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I’m considering watching The Void for the 50th time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Have any of y'all ever seen LEMORA before?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Pet Sematary: Bloodlines

Yea or nay?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Yea or nay?

To answer your question, I thought to myself, Did I watch that one yet?, and then I looked on Plex and yes, I did watch it. Soooooo

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Ha, yeah, I played this for my mom and sister a year or two ago but my mom played phone solitaire the whole time like an rear end in a top hat. (My sister liked it though!)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MrMojok posted:

Yea or nay?

Totally banal

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Yea or nay?

The worst one in the franchise, easily

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I couldn't tell if that was him or one really weird coincidence in names.

I'm a little confused about the pitch that it was an intentional "fiction/found footage" thing, it seems to just be a regular ghost hunting documentary thing from what I can see. Down to having a depressing amount of time obsessing over orbs. Fake as hell, but that's nothing new. Kind of a fun throwback given how over the top the editing is. Made me think of watching old ghost shows when I was a teenager, but nothing special.

I enjoyed it quite a bit since it so thoroughly tapped into that 90s TV special vibe. Wonderfully hokey.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

my mom played phone solitaire the whole time

I literally stop movies when people's phones come out and ask if they want to do something else. I cannot imagine not wanting to watch something but being passive-aggressive enough to just idly flick through your phone instead of just leaving.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

They’re actually renaming passive-aggression to Virginiaism, in honor of my mom, who honed it in the 80s and finally perfected it here in my adulthood

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shrecknet posted:

I literally stop movies when people's phones come out and ask if they want to do something else. I cannot imagine not wanting to watch something but being passive-aggressive enough to just idly flick through your phone instead of just leaving.

There are many, many films out there people watch while on their cellphones. Some have critical acclaim. Your ancestors would have watched all the classics while on their phones, if they had them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Don’t call out your friends and family for using a phone during a movie, just silently judge them On a dead forum

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I find myself doing it more and more due to age.

Because of “Wait, what else have I seen this guy in?”

Of course this often leads down other IMDb rabbit holes and I end up having to rewind the last fifteen minutes of the film.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://deadline.com/2023/10/five-nights-at-freddys-bearing-down-on-130m-global-bow-international-box-office-1235586004/

Has anyone bitten the bullet and seen this yet.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have any of y'all ever seen LEMORA before?

Yes, and I liked it.

gey muckle mowser posted:

What does “watchable” mean in this context? I might’ve missed a post about it, this thread has been moving really fast lately.

I didn't regret spending time out of my life seeing it.

Okay, in all seriousness despite being mild in blood, it's pretty decent. I liked it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey thread, what are some good / great Chinese horror movies? I have no idea what rocks in that regard

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

alf_pogs posted:

hey thread, what are some good / great Chinese horror movies? I have no idea what rocks in that regard

If you include Hong Kong (honestly I don’t really understand the relationship between China and Hong Kong, but it seems like the film industry is mostly based there), these are some classics:

Seeding of a Ghost
The Boxer’s Omen
Mr. Vampire
Encounters of the Spooky Kind
A Chinese Ghost Story
The Seventh Curse
Human Lanterns

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Doesn’t the Chinese govt forbid ghosts in entertainment? That’s why all those Hong Kong movies are from before 1997

I wonder if they’re not even allowed to be grandfathered into distribution. It would be an interesting pocket of film preservation

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I did, it's not very good. It's a very tame PG-13, almost feels like they were shooting for straight PG and just missed. I'm sure if you're into the franchise, it'd be a bigger deal, but for me, it was just very slow and dull. Shocking lack of jumpscares given what the games are too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, it’s pretty boring but not remarkably bad or anything. They clearly spent money on it, the suits look great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Steve Yun posted:

Doesn’t the Chinese govt forbid ghosts in entertainment? That’s why all those Hong Kong movies are from before 1997

I wonder if they’re not even allowed to be grandfathered into distribution. It would be an interesting pocket of film preservation

They didn't ban them specifically. It's a roundabout ban because there's no rating system in China and they only allow generic, bland movies through. From what I understand from my friends there's a really awesome belief system that horror is real and people outside the cities would watch one and panic.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Was at a farmers market and dude was selling a bunch of knitted objects (wolves, cats, frogs) and then I saw him and had to have it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its not good. Its really bogged down by a complicated backstory for the protagonist when it would have been better off with them just being a normal person dealing with poo poo they aren't paid nearly well enough for. Its pretty clear the creator of FNAF wanted to shove in as much deep lore as possible into the film. The PG-13 rating isn't doing any favors. I will say the suits look really good though.

The two rip-off films Banana Split and Willy's Wonderland while not good both pull of the concept better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The FNAF movie is, sadly, five years too late to be anything other than a novelty. The hardcore lore nerds seem to be upset that it Frankensteined the lore from multiple games, casual teenage audiences will show up for the opening week and then fall off, and the movie is too convoluted for anyone over the age of 40 to give a poo poo. It's not terrible but it's also not great, and it missed the peak of its cultural relevance and is only catching it on the back end, so it'll be widely forgotten in a couple years.