Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bird food bathtub posted:

I would think CCNA would be overqualified for Printer Jockey, that's a pretty solid level of understanding fairly specific systems. It's above the scope of what I'm doing right now but I'm studying it anyway since I actually kind of enjoy networking. Yes I am a terrible, terrible nerd now leave me alone I have a D&D campaign to continue working on.

Oh I should clarify, I have no intentions of getting my CCNA only to move onto becoming a printer jockey (unless it's WFH and pays six figures :haw: ). Current gig (desktop support for a biotech) has said they will open up a network engineer position for me if I get my CCNA knocked out. They're paying for my study materials and the exam as well so :toot:

The nice thing is I studied for my CCNA 20 years ago when I was in high school but opted to do something else at the time. So it's been somewhat easier for me as a result. Well that, and I got my Net+ earlier this year.

Was mostly just me joking with Crab Dad as he posts these every few months and it's partially the reason I changed careers. And they are pretty solid starter gigs, so long as you're able to get a clearance and don't smoke the devil's lettuce

Crab Dad posted:

Hey congrats!
Hopefully I'll still be around but it's hard to say. One of my office coworkers dropped dead last night while exiting the elevator. Nobody i knew very well but still.

Thanks!

Also that sucks, RIP that guy.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dying at work is so sad. A couple years ago a coworker found a lady face down on the keyboard at her workstation

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah similar thing happened with an older guy at my office like ten years ago. I just hope they didn't know they were dying and just kinda dozed off.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

Dying at work is so sad. A couple years ago a coworker found a lady face down on the keyboard at her workstation

*shrug* That's basically my retirement plan. Ain't nobody can afford not working anymore.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Does anyone have any recommendations for Charleston, SC? I think I'll have a Friday off and a car while I'm there. I'm imagining soul food and Carolina style bbq are good there?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bird food bathtub posted:

I would think CCNA would be overqualified for Printer Jockey, that's a pretty solid level of understanding fairly specific systems. It's above the scope of what I'm doing right now but I'm studying it anyway since I actually kind of enjoy networking. Yes I am a terrible, terrible nerd now leave me alone I have a D&D campaign to continue working on.

The guy who left was snarfed up by booze Allen for cyber security stuff. The one thing about a gov job at this level is there is a lot of time to study and work on skill sets. Also they don’t just work on printers, they actually do a bit of network management too. Command Net is nice that way. NMCI is probably gonna get busted up and go away some day soonish.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

US Berder Patrol posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for Charleston, SC? I think I'll have a Friday off and a car while I'm there. I'm imagining soul food and Carolina style bbq are good there?

https://www.hymanseafood.com

They do some touristy ghost tour poo poo through the heart of downtown that was kind of fun when my wife and I were there ten years ago or so.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

US Berder Patrol posted:

Patriot’s Point and USS Yorktown are awesome. Battery Park is very pretty. There is no single Carolina style for BBQ and anything made in SC is inherently inferior.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah, I live there. A few of my picks:

For BBQ:
- Lewis BBQ for brisket/Texas style
- Rodney Scott’s BBQ for more Carolina style pulled pork
- Home Team BBQ for a good mix, including IMO the best wings in town

Seafood:
- Hyman’s is overrated. It’s not bad, but it’s the biggest tourist restaurant in town
- Fleet Landing is probably one of my favorites downtown
- Ellis Creek Fish Camp: Outside of downtown, but set right on a marsh. Kinda rustic

Check out Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant, across the bridge. Grab drinks or walk the piers (I don’t recommend eating there, overpriced and low quality, plus I’ve heard stories from people who worked there) and keep an eye out for dolphins swimming right by you, especially when the fishing boats are coming in. My favorite is the downstairs/outside bar at Vickrey’s.

Definitely check out the USS Yorktown if you go to Shem Creek, it’s right next to it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Nice, thanks for the replies about Charleston

Pretty tough bbq choice between Lewis and Rodney Scott here for me. Rodney Scott is kind of a famous bbq name, heard and seen him on lots of food media but drat that Lewis bbq looks fire

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
sorry for the double post but these whole fried flounder that seem to be a common menu offering around look glorious as well

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Fried flounder is quite good.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Lewis BBQ and fleets.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

US Berder Patrol posted:

I haven't made it down there yet, but I can say that bbq is shockingly lacking in the middle of the state.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

I haven't made it down there yet, but I can say that bbq is shockingly lacking in the middle of the state.

You need to drive north of Myrtle Beach and cross on over into North Carolina. Pick a back road to turn onto and keep going until you see one of those four way intersections with farm fields all around and a bunch of cars pull off to the side for some reason. As you get closer you will see an old beat up truck towing a smoker trailer made out of a 55 gallon drum and some rebar and tires and a line of people buy pulled pork and ribs.

Best spot for Carolina bbq was always those random popup spots on some bass ackward country roads.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Hekk posted:

You need to drive north of Myrtle Beach and cross on over into North Carolina. Pick a back road to turn onto and keep going until you see one of those four way intersections with farm fields all around and a bunch of cars pull off to the side for some reason. As you get closer you will see an old beat up truck towing a smoker trailer made out of a 55 gallon drum and some rebar and tires and a line of people buy pulled pork and ribs.

Best spot for Carolina bbq was always those random popup spots on some bass ackward country roads.

This is the best advice. Vinegar based bbq is divine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I tell you guys, after age 40 the phrase "roid rage" takes on a whole new meaning.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I tell you guys, after age 40 the phrase "roid rage" takes on a whole new meaning.
Butt wipes might be bad for plumbing, but they're good for your well being.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Butt wipes might be bad for plumbing, but they're good for your well being.

Dude wipes (the brand name I think) are apparently toilet and plumbing friendly, I've started using them. In a month when my shitter is backed up into my den I'll report how wrong I am.

It's just nothing dry cleans as good as a wet wipe of any variety in my experience.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Get a bidet, they're like 50 bucks for a basic one on Amazon. No wipes are good for your toilet/septic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Flushable wipes aren't

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Flushable wipes ain't.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The house is all but sold, and I've got hemorrhoid's.

Let this be the next dumb motherfuckers problem.

If it becomes the current dumb motherfuckers problem we can talk about reaping and sowing, :lol:.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Though point taken, thanks dudes.

I don't know poo poo about plumbing, I've just gone with "NOOO! If they dont gently caress poo poo up now they will later!" as my ethos, and now later is not my problem.

Kind of a poo poo head move, but dude drives a Mercedes that's almost worth 3/4ths of what I paid for the place originally.

gently caress that guy. This is how lessons get learned.

And when I have my shitter backed up into my den while I'm still on the hook I will steadfastly refuse to learn any lesson, lol.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Though point taken, thanks dudes.

I don't know poo poo about plumbing, I've just gone with "NOOO! If they dont gently caress poo poo up now they will later!" as my ethos, and now later is not my problem.

Kind of a poo poo head move, but dude drives a Mercedes that's almost worth 3/4ths of what I paid for the place originally.

gently caress that guy. This is how lessons get learned.

And when I have my shitter backed up into my den while I'm still on the hook I will steadfastly refuse to learn any lesson, lol.

Bidet with warm water will change you life and expectations on what makes a good bathroom experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Flushable wipes aren't

They flush just fine

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Bidet with warm water will change you life and expectations on what makes a good bathroom experience.

Recently had my first experience with a warm water bidet and a heated toilet seat and it was like a chorus of angels personally attending to my butthole. Just incredible.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1719070984173482032?s=20

It Follows was one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years so it’s gonna be really something if this sequel can stack up against it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1719070984173482032?s=20

It Follows was one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years so it’s gonna be really something if this sequel can stack up against it.

Oh sweet. One of the few truly scary movies I’ve seen

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh sweet. One of the few truly scary movies I’ve seen

The
Ba
Ba
Dook

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The
Ba
Ba
Dook

Nahh the monster in that movie was that loving kid. Don’t blame anyone else at all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He built a sweet shoulder catapult

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just bought a ticket to see Flowers and it’s over 3 hours long…

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s really good.
I had to run out to pee once.
gently caress it’s depressing though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
IDK why I had to look up this song and hoped y'all would enjoy or hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDVrOLssN0

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

You know what's really cool, getting paid for your labor and services. Seeing that green credits in the bank account instead of just a sea of red debits. I recommend it to everyone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

An MBA might be the only realistic option for me to burn the rest of my GI Bill. :(

Getting an MBA doesn't require brain worms.

Using an MBA doesn't require brain worms.

Let the MBA brain worms use you though? Boom, you're middle management before you know it and look at all this seed corn that needs selling.

lightpole posted:

Chill with the faux anti intellectual MBA hate

Lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i will never not dunk on MBA havers

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i will never not dunk on MBA havers

Agreed, my MS in IT and Management is more technical than an MBA and my MSW is making good money now that I'm at GS civ. MBA is only good if you're charismatic enough or get your employer/GI Bill to pay for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Since we're on the subject of career chat, I have to ask- at what point did you simply give up hope of ever having your efforts recognized or rewarded? I'm basically at some point in a mid-career existential spiral where I'm realizing that I have over a dozen years of work experience, diligent effort, great performance reviews and a reputation for being a good person to work with and it's amounted to...gently caress all. I left my last job because my contract ended and my uber-boss was unable to expend an ounce of political capital to keep me or any of my colleagues on, despite how we had made him look really good by working around the clock for over a week to evacuate several dozen Afghans who worked with us and partner countries from Kabul in 2021, or working for 10 months on a "return to operations" assignment (that was originally supposed to be six weeks) following the worst part of COVID. I took another job after mine ended and it hasn't been at all what I was led to believe it was- I'm basically doing the jobs that would have been done by four other people at my previous agency, fixing gaps far more serious than anything I've had to deal with before while also dealing with a salary that's 30% less what I'm used to. While doing mid-cycle performance reviews with my current boss this week, I asked about getting a raise for the one person that I supervise right now, only to be told that my current institution will only give a 2.5% merit-based increase for people who get "meets standards" on their annual performance reviews (if there's money in the budget)- "above standards" or "outstanding" doesn't get anything above that.

I applied to a job at my old agency that I'm extremely qualified for three months ago and heard nothing, and today I got lunch with another old boss at the place- someone who I immensely respect and trust- and she let it slip that they (my other former bosses, of which I had two others) had picked an internal candidate, and by process of elimination, it's not only the person who was my successor, but the person who I trained to take my job before my own contract ended. She gave me a nice pep talk at the end of our lunch, which I guess I appreciated it, but taking this all into context- where the gently caress is my- or anyone else's- incentive to actually do anything but the bare minimum? Why should I give a gently caress about innovating or trying to be a good worker when the best that it'll get me is pocket change that doesn't even begin to keep pace with inflation?

I'm almost 40 years old and feel like I'm in a more precarious financial and life position than I was when I was 30. I went from contributing 15% of my pre-tax income to my retirement to only counting on what my current job throws in as a match. Work poo poo just sucks and I loving hate it and have no idea how I'm going to ever get professional satisfaction again, let alone retire longer than a few weeks before I loving croak.