Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Last week, my best friend since 1st grade and the guitarist in my band had a drop seizure. He's had a mild form of epilepsy for a while; he was diagnosed because of some drops he was having several years ago while at work. He'd suffered with migraines before, so neurological issues were nothing new to him. For years, it's been almost totally under control, but early this year, they switched his meds, and he did not tolerate it well. When the trembling and memory issues started, they switched again, and things were going great... until last week, when, while driving home on The Ike, he had a drop, causing him to veer right to a retaining wall, then left into the median, then right again and off the road. He narrowly missed driving off of any number of embankments.

Other than a bump on the head, a bruise on his leg, and the loss of his car, he's OK. So, he got a new neurologist, and as some of you might have guessed, he cannot drive for 6 months. If he has another drop at any time, the clock restarts, and he might officially lose his driver's license. He's working out how to deal with work and band rehearsal, but he hated the idea of being stuck at home when he wants to head up to the convenience store which is just far away enough to make walking annoying.

So... well, remember how I said I no longer had any use for my Giant Cypress, now that I have the Escape for my hybrid needs and my wife can't swing her leg over it? Well, he remembered me saying that I was going to sell it, so I sold it to him. I was going to ask $200 for it, but I told him that since we were friends, we could settle on $350. (I sold it for $150, which I think is fair.) I gave him my old pannier bag and a cable lock, since I have better bags and locks now. I also told him to get a helmet and maybe some lights from Amazon, since his neighborhood is amazingly dark for how many lights there are.

I'm not gonna tell you or your buddy what to do, but riding a bike does not seem like a great idea under these circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Steve French posted:

I'm not gonna tell you or your buddy what to do, but riding a bike does not seem like a great idea under these circumstances.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

At an absolute minimum he should get something like a garmin with crash detection that will call emergency if he's going to do that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

At an absolute minimum he should get something like a garmin with crash detection that will call emergency if he's going to do that.

100%. I used to work with a guy who got diagnosed with MS, and started cycling as much as possible to get some big goal events done for charity while he was still able. That’s not likely to involve a sudden inability to stay on the bike, but was still concerning to his wife.

This guy with seizures should also take the time to look at his life/finances and see if he can move somewhere where he isn’t as dependent on driving everywhere, maybe near his work and a bandmate or rail station at least - but maybe a city where he doesn’t need to drive everywhere just to live. Also see how viable it’d be just to Uber everywhere.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Or maybe like, a three wheeled bike? So at least he'd be more stable?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I probably should clarify a little bit, as he and I had a few long discussions about this over the last week.

First, it's not like he suddenly switches off. He can feel a drop coming. Last week, he felt one coming at work, and it passed, and he--in his own word, stupidly--decided that the new medication was super-amazing after six months of hell with his last one. So, when he felt it coming on while driving home, he gripped the wheel harder, concentrated more, and figured it'd pass like the one earlier in the day had done. The few times previously it'd happened, he pulled over to be safe. This time, he chose not to.

Second, and mainly, he decided long ago not to let his condition turn him into a helmet-wearing hermit wrapped in bubble wrap. He values his independence, and while he's happy to follow doctor's orders not to drive (especially since he knows he narrowly missed injuring other people or himself last week), he's only willing to give up so much. He's not stopping his running, going to work, or doing other things that could become hazardous if he suddenly passed out. He had a lot to say about that, honestly. If I didn't sell him a bike, he'd have gone to Walmart and bought one because, well, he's also frugal when it comes to some things.

I will recommend the crash detection thing, though. That's a good idea, and he'll probably agree with something like that.

wooger posted:

This guy with seizures should also take the time to look at his life/finances and see if he can move somewhere where he isn’t as dependent on driving everywhere, maybe near his work and a bandmate or rail station at least - but maybe a city where he doesn’t need to drive everywhere just to live. Also see how viable it’d be just to Uber everywhere.

Unfortunately, that's not really an option. Like, none of it. We're in the St. Louis area, and he's on the Missouri side of the river. He lives in a nice neighborhood, but it's not close to his work, and there is no such thing as "living close to where he works" because of industrial zoning. (He's an engineer for a large company out here.) Even if that were an option, the housing market is megafucked everywhere, and his area is no exception. The distances make Uber a bad option; last time he had to take one from work to home, it was almost $20. Mass transit doesn't serve his area well because he lives in a "good area." (Read: white flight suburb.)

His job does let him telecommute 3 days a week, and everyone who does this hybrid schedule has to come in on Tuesday and also one other day of the week. He's taking that option and carpooling for now. This whole thing is really opening his eyes to just how car-centric his situation is, and that just sucks because he can't just pick up and move somewhere else.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tarlibone posted:

His job does let him telecommute 3 days a week, and everyone who does this hybrid schedule has to come in on Tuesday and also one other day of the week.

Surely his employer can knock that down to 1 or 0…
oh wait I’m getting word :captialism:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Isn’t it fun to collaborate in the office with teamies?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I've telecommuted for almost 17 years, and WebEx & Teams work perfectly fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but remote work makes job creators sad, so it’s impossible to say if it’s humane to make the guy risk his life to show his smiling face at the office.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I'm lucky to work for a company that loves having people work from home because it saves them money. They've closed a bunch of offices by having everyone work remotely. I'd take less money to keep working for them.

I did a proper ride on the All Road today--20 miles, and not slowing down for my wife because she was still at work.

It's not my fastest bike. It's heavier than my Contend AR and has wider tires, although they're at the same pressure. But man, that frame just feels amazing.

It turns out that steel is real. Who knew?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
^^ same, on both counts actually.

kimbo305 posted:

I mean truly this should be something covered under an ADA reasonable accommodation - but :capitalism:.

I'd imagine he's already tried, and probably Missouri is rougher than CA, but oof.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

tarlibone posted:

WebEx & Teams work perfectly fine.

Working from home is great. You don’t have to lie to make it look better.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I've telecommuted for almost 17 years, and WebEx & Teams work perfectly fine.
Something that's fit for purpose can still be loving annoying

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Something has been bothering me recently: why is it almost exclusively older men who ride bikes without a helmet?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Something has been bothering me recently: why is it almost exclusively older men who ride bikes without a helmet?

Same reason they ride w/o a lid on motorcycles.

Insecurity

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awkward Davies posted:

GenX were trained from birth to reject any and all types of compliance reflexively irrespective of rationality

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

attempted the San Jose to Santa Cruz route again, solo this time. 6h total time. would love to revise the route for less car traffic

had a few times where I could feel a cramp approaching, and one cramp in my right calf and quad about 3/4 of the way through. one or two of the near cramps was right when I was trying to get on or off the bike or pedals. each time I was thankfully in a spot to take a few minutes break off the bike to recover. I brought plenty of water and chews with electrolytes, but maybe not enough. tried to take a few minutes of stretching throughout the ride

unfortunately this is the only outdoor ride I've done in October. I thought I would be more prepared after regular trainer work this month but I feel like I hit my limits faster than I expected. I might try doing longer trainer sessions to simulate a long ride like this but sitting on a trainer for 4 hours in a single day sounds unappealing

carbs: 350g (excluding some toast and jam for breakfast right before setting out)
water: at least 3.5L in cargo, with an additional ~1-1.5L refills along the way
honks: 1
punishment passes: 1

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 29, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Awkward Davies posted:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

In the netherlands it’s everyone riding for transport. In scandinavia it’s everyone between 16 and parenting age.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Dutch get absurdly defensive about cycling without helmets.

It can’t just be “I don’t want to”. They immediately launch into how actually they’re totally right to have their hair blowing in the wind and “why aren’t you wearing a helmet when driving a car or walking?”

At least their organ donation system is opt‐out.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
It's a little different riding without a helmet when there's actual cycling infrastructure and the traffic culture supports bikes (relatively at least) and you're commuting at slowish speeds. Also doesn't hurt if your city is pan flat.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you're riding around town on good infrastructure at barely above jogging pace as part of your everyday life then helmets do not make sense from a risk/inconvenience perspective. Context, once again, is important.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

wait I thought it was the boomers that had the worst lead poisoning

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Havana Affair posted:

It's a little different riding without a helmet when there's actual cycling infrastructure and the traffic culture supports bikes (relatively at least) and you're commuting at slowish speeds. Also doesn't hurt if your city is pan flat.

Yeah, if you’re not cycling on the road and not hitting 20 or 30 mph it’s totally different to sporty road or mountain bike rides, and certainly no more risky than going for a run in terms of head trauma. Wear one if you feel like it, but personal choice.

The ‘helmet always’ zealots are more unreasonable.

The entire ultra-convenient pickup/dropoff city hire bike concept does not work with helmets.

If you had public healthcare you could at least argue that not wearing a helmet will affect the national budget a bit, but you don’t.

FWIW I wear a helmet 100% of the time on my bike because my commute includes roads and a 30mph downhill in the first 5 minutes.

I also cycle around London, on cycle paths, on Boris bikes without a helmet.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Bike rack question! We're about to that time of the year where I put the bike rack on my car and just leave it there all winter long cuz it's easier. What should I be doing beforehand for cleanup and/or prep of the parts? I'm thinking of things like grease or antisieze on contact points. Maybe something to clean some rust off of current parts. I'm open to whatever. I'd like to take a little better care of it than I have done in previous seasons.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It can’t just be “I don’t want to”. They immediately launch into how actually they’re totally right to have their hair blowing in the wind and “why aren’t you wearing a helmet when driving a car or walking?”
at the systemic level (and speeds ridden on dutch infra/bikes) helmets make little difference. also they don’t want to.

I think the topic’s kinda sensitive because the kinds of crash that kill cyclists (getting driven into by motor vehicles) mostly aren’t helped by helmets, so hearing about it feels a lot like victim-blaming.

Havana Affair posted:

And seeing road-riding and MTB’ing people without helmets was also exceedingly rare when i lived there.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 29, 2023

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

I'm open to whatever. I'd like to take a little better care of it than I have done in previous seasons.

Don’t leave it on the winter if you’re in an area prone to rust and corrosion

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Apparently I'm not "open to whatever" as previously mentioned because the option of "just don't bike in the winter" isn't something I'm willing to entertain. I leave the rack on all winter because I use the rack all winter. I'm still quite interested in any ideas folks might have about rust/corrosion mitigation that don't include abstinence.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crumps Brother posted:

Apparently I'm not "open to whatever" as previously mentioned because the option of "just don't bike in the winter" isn't something I'm willing to entertain. I leave the rack on all winter because I use the rack all winter. I'm still quite interested in any ideas folks might have about rust/corrosion mitigation that don't include abstinence.

You can get stuff called rust converter that you either spray or brush on, it turns rust into stuff that can't rust anymore via chemical magic. That should work for all the generally rusty surfaces. For the detent ball thing you would probably have to wire brush the rust off and then grease.

Any contact areas I would slather in marine grease as the metal parts will vibrate and shift against one another, which destroys the paint which causes rusting.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I'd just put some thick marine grease on the hitch and insert. e: beaten

I would also be prepared to just replace the lock depending on how salty it is around you.

Maybe some triflow on the moving parts of your rack depending on material.

Then frequently blast the salt off.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 29, 2023

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Crumps Brother posted:

I didn't say don't bike or don't use the rack, just don't leave it on the car when you're not using it for a while. A nice thing about hitch racks is they take 2 minutes to put on and take off, and is a good opportunity to wipe off any grit and grime.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

e.pilot posted:

wait I thought it was the boomers that had the worst lead poisoning

Gen X got it as kids, which is worse

Crumps Brother posted:

Bike rack question! We're about to that time of the year where I put the bike rack on my car and just leave it there all winter long cuz it's easier. What should I be doing beforehand for cleanup and/or prep of the parts? I'm thinking of things like grease or antisieze on contact points. Maybe something to clean some rust off of current parts. I'm open to whatever. I'd like to take a little better care of it than I have done in previous seasons.

As mentioned there’s all sorts of rust converter/covering stuff you can spray or brush on - literally part of what gives Rustoleum its name. And for anything you can’t paint something like Fluid Film spray will put a rust-preventing layer on it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gettin too dark too early so time to retire the road bike to the trainer and time to start using clipless

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

In the netherlands it’s everyone riding for transport. In scandinavia it’s everyone between 16 and parenting age.

I did see a pretty high number of those wearable air bag necklace things in Denmark, which would be great except they're like $200+ and still single use.

They do seem marginally more convenient though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

foutre posted:

I which would be great except they're like $200+ and still single use.

Similar value prop to a road helmet, though I haven’t seen VT’s crash testing on those. Wonder if it’d be more aero.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Whew I lied, they're 350 euros.

I'd never heard of Cerrimoov before, but apparently they rated the Hovding highest for crash safety vOv. They seem like they'd be less aero, but hard to say. Maybe if you're bald with a greased head??

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

foutre posted:

I did see a pretty high number of those wearable air bag necklace things in Denmark, which would be great except they're like $200+ and still single use.

They do seem marginally more convenient though.
They're real stiff and annoying. If you've got long/fancy hair I could see the point but then I'd have to trust some rear end in a top hat's idea of a crash-detection algo and no thank you.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

At a societal level lots of cyclists/lots of infra/low helmet levels for everyday journey's is way better than not many/not much/helmets. If the first two are easier without helmets then so be it - I'd definitely rather cycle without a helmet in basically any Dutch city than with one in any American one I've visited

Platystemon posted:

At least their organ donation system is opt‐out.

Last time this came up I did some research and at least in the Netherlands people cycling with a helmet had more brain injuries per journey/mile/something than those without presumably because cyclists are generally sensible about which activities benefit from one

I.e.

evil_bunnY posted:

And seeing road-riding and MTB’ing people without helmets was also exceedingly rare when i lived there.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I don't think the topic is that sensitive at all, let alone that we'd get "absurdly defensive" about it. 99% of cyclists riding for sport wear a helmet, as do people on bikes with registration plates. Other than that it's simply not necessary and at lower, regular-traffic speeds - i.e. anywhere between 10-20 km/h - really only (mostly old) people with a reason to be less confident at such speeds wear one. Ask any regular person cycling mostly or solely to get from point A to point B about wearing a helmet and the response you'll get is "eh, I don't really need to do I? nothing ever happens". It's only when the notion of mandatory helmets comes up that anyone feels talked down to and you get a strong response, especially when it's coming from someone on the outside looking in

I have a couple of friends who got various degrees of lucky crashing or falling over and hitting their head on a curb when drunk, so helmets would make some more sense when there's alcohol involved, but even then the ratio of accidents to minutes spent riding is unbelievably low - so low that it's really not worth bothering even owning a helmet - and you're definitely not getting anyone out on the town to lug a helmet along the entire night

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 30, 2023