Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Diqnol posted:

I mean thats cool and all but we were talking stats here, where is he without your adjustments for era? Don't tell me you aren't giving me a number because it would look bad for you, that would be terrible!

blarzgh posted:

Why wouldn't you adjust for era?

I was wondering the same thing. You pretty much have to do that in any sport when analyzing performance, especially in football and even more so with NFL QB's. The rules of the game and the way it's played have changed so much over the last 3 or 4 decades that there's really no other way to look at it. The best QB's in the game in the 70's had TD/INT ratios of almost 1-1, which nowadays will land you in the XFL with the quickness. You can't just compare, say, Kirk Cousins' yards and completion % against Dan Marino or Troy Aikman one to one.

Aikman never scared me in the 90's the way the rest of that team did and I don't think he was fantastic or anything but any honest look at what his numbers mean absolutely has to adjust them to provide context. To argue otherwise is really fundamentally misunderstanding the evolution of the game.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

euphronius posted:

I’m surprised Eli isnt already in the hof?? He should be a lock

Cartoon Man posted:

Probably waiting to rig the voting so him and his brother can get in the same year.

Eli isn’t eligible until 2025, and Peyton already
went in first ballot in 2021.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drat Eli outlasted his brother? I thought they left the NFL around the same time. All those past Snyder years blur together into a bunch of misery for us Washington fans.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

drat Eli outlasted his brother? I thought they left the NFL around the same time. All those past Snyder years blur together into a bunch of misery for us Washington fans.

Peyton started 6 years before Eli (1998 vs 2004), and then Eli played 4 years after Peyton retired (Peyton retired after the 2015 season, Eli after the 2019 season).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

It's why adjusted for era is such bullshit. It's literally warping numbers without a population. It's not real.

Application of a modifier to account for environmental differences is perfectly OK

Part of why Terry Bradshaw completed 50% of his passes is because the rules were different back then, and they could maul receivers. Offenses were different, nutrition, speed, training equipment, everything.

If you plucked Jalen Hurts from 2020 and dropped him into 1975, he'd probably complete 50% of his passes, too.

Sport As Competition exists with the vacuum of its participants - the only question you can ask of a player is how they performed against their competition and likewise that's all you can judge them by.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

blarzgh posted:

If you plucked Jalen Hurts from 2020 and dropped him into 1975, he'd probably complete 50% of his passes, too.
But he'd rush for twenty touchdowns a game because he'd be bigger and stronger than anyone playing the game by orders of magnitude.

I don't have a point, I just don't know how the gently caress it's possible that we somehow found all these 6'7" 300 pound monsters who can bench-press 400 pounds and run a 10 second 400 meter dash out of nowhere in the last 40 years like we're running some sort of accelerated eugenics experiment just on football prospects.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

Application of a modifier to account for environmental differences is perfectly OK

Part of why Terry Bradshaw completed 50% of his passes is because the rules were different back then, and they could maul receivers. Offenses were different, nutrition, speed, training equipment, everything.

Sport As Competition exists with the vacuum of its participants - the only question you can ask of a player is how they performed against their competition and likewise that's all you can judge them by.

Since we're living in a fantasy land if Jalen Hurts went back to 1975 he'd complete 100% of his passes and run for 300 yards a game.

Everything was different is the point. You can't quantify it. Amplifying stats doesn't fix that. It just makes a bad assumption. It all goes back to why an empirical measurement of a sport with free form intention of movement and action doesn't tell the whole story. Jalen Hurts has 32 rushing TDs in 52 games right now. Shave off a third of those to adjust for era. Fine. That ignores how the Eagles get to the 1 yard rushing TD situations or even produce an option QB to have the opportunity to reach those rushing situations. Would that concept even exist in 1975? You're asking a guy who is already a non-traditional QB in this era to go even farther back and Fran Tarkenton it? It's all hokum.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Since we're living in a fantasy land if Jalen Hurts went back to 1975 he'd complete 100% of his passes and run for 300 yards a game.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Archie Manning had two kids who look, and are built exactly like him and you think they got 'extra' genetics that made them orders of magnitude more productive than him?

Of course not. They've been training since birth, with all the latest technology and information, coaching, attention, and offensive advancements.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Archie ain't squatting 600

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't you dare challenge the power of Archie's thicc dumpy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also I think a black QB in 1975 would face separate challenges

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Archie ain't squatting 600

Randall could have

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Randall Cunningham ran for his life year in and year out and was arguably the best player on a lovely team in the NFL for several years. He was also an excellent giant killer even after he went to Minnesota. Just a fantastic player, plus also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

If the commies lose tomorrow I can officially say I've given up on them before November.:smith:

grah posted:

Just a fantastic player, plus also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

His breakdown of pro/anti union will never not be funny.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just found out that Josh and Montez aren't related. devastating news

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pro starcraft loser posted:

If the commies lose tomorrow I can officially say I've given up on them before November.:smith:

Yeah, that'd be a real shame. Aren't you used to it by now?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Too much green today.

Go Giants.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Not enough green today.

Go to hell, Giants.

Ftfy

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Iggles

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Terry Motherfuckin McLaurin

Worth every goddamn penny

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Those Washington Unis look pretty good.

Dallas's white pants suck

Giants classics: perfect

Eagles: worst unis in the conference

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Jets fans are awful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cowboys rookie kicker seems good. He just drilled a 58 yard kick that could have been 7-10 yards further back .

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

These fox announcers would like to go down on the field and fellate the Eagles quarterback.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cartoon Man posted:

These fox announcers would like to go down on the field and fellate the Eagles quarterback.

They wanna touch his butt. And can you blame them? He squats 600 lbs.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Despite living in the same town, I haven’t actually watched too many Rams games.

edit: loving disastrous series of plays for the Rams. Pick six, then a big Parsons sack on third down, followed by a punt blocked out of the endzone for a safety

Then followed by the free kick nearly being run back for a TD

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 29, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sam Howell is the best qb

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

euphronius posted:

Sam Howell is the best qb

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But he might become it.

Imagine having to come up behind the Washington O line.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lmao is Dallas allowed to win a game by fewer than 30 points

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Matt Patricia has that defense performing to his typical standard

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why the gently caress are the Commies only good against Philly

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why the gently caress are the Commies only good against Philly

They have a really strong defensive line that can brute force Philly's oline

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Commanders are the best team I’ve seen this year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sam Powell is an amazing qb

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Powell putting on one of the best games by QB ever

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

They have a really strong defensive line that can brute force Philly's oline

If the DL was that amazing the Commies would look this good vs everybody

Howell is 19/20 what the everliving gently caress

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the DL was that amazing the Commies would look this good vs everybody

They're pretty good but I mean more that everyone on the Commies dline is strong as gently caress

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the boys are serving red meat? eagles losing? i'm having a good sunday

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's incredible how these teams just cannot score after these many, many eagles turnovers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

biceps crimes posted:

the boys are serving red meat? eagles losing? i'm having a good sunday