Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Have some respect for Cinema Sins as some of the last masters of the "ah you see, I was actually a huge loving idiot as a joke" technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I will choose to continue not doing so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Have some respect for Cinema Sins as some of the last masters of the "ah you see, I was actually a huge loving idiot as a joke" technique.

when all you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

If Captain Obvious ran a channel

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the only reason i know matpat even exists is because the developers of that wretched hello neighbor game were trying to publicly bully him on twitter into making a lore video to try and get some free advertising

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hatty posted:

Can’t believe the guy that used to make bible games is a republican

most of the playerbase for those fnaf games is still too young to have developed this level of critical thinking ability so im glad it was pointed out to them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sega Dreamcast posted:

If Captain Obvious ran a channel

If Captain Obvious was appallingly bad at his job and missed a bunch of obvious things but also just made stuff up to fill for time

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I picked up Dead Space PS5 on sale today and I never played the original. About 2 hours in and it's really great. I just got into a fight at the bottom of the medical facility and ran out of ammo and had to run around trying to melee to survive lmao. I'm so much better with keyboard and mouse.

Weird coming from botw and there's stasis and kinetic abilities lol

It's wild the original came out in 2008 but there hadn't been many other good games in that vein, and RE7 didn't come out until 2017??

Also crazy that the remake came out this year, meanwhile there had been so many incredible games that came out after it this year!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Survival / action horror was one of those subgenres that had a decade of mediocre or outright bad releases.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The major publishers all simultaneously decided that nobody actually wanted survival horror so they weren't going to make any.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The early 2000s were the high water mark of survival horror. You had the mainstream releases like Resident Evil and Silent Hill but there was also the weird stuff like Carrier and Illbleed. For awhile it seemed like that was just going to be the dominant form of every AAA single player release. It's almost surprising so many ended up being made since the genre is, in my opinion, somewhat constrained by its structure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

30 Minute Missions is a line of very high quality but simultaneously quite affordable and easy to build model kits, designed to be easily customizable with lots of extra sets of weapons and armor. They just announced something that will be of interest to gamers

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1718190894661402756

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You could’ve just said “armored core vi”, instead I had to watch a 30 sec vid that says “armored core vi”

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hwurmp posted:

when all you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail
Actually the world is obviously too large to look like a nail, and it's unlikely you would only ever have nothing but a hammer

Sin Counter: 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Video Games Thx posted:

You could’ve just said “armored core vi”, instead I had to watch a 30 sec vid that says “armored core vi”

It's exciting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Alan Wake 2 Ftmfw.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just started Alan Wake 2 and so far it's the best naked fat guy simulator I've played all year

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shinobi: Return of the Ninja Master is a good game.

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi is not.

This has been my controversial opinion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dabir posted:

Revenge of Shinobi is best

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Shadow Dancer is the best Shinobi game begone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AlphaKeny1 posted:

It's wild the original came out in 2008 but there hadn't been many other good games in that vein, and RE7 didn't come out until 2017??

DS 2008 was a real lightning in a bottle situation; they shifted away from their original more system shock-esque design after the lead devs played RE4 on release and (correctly) intuited that this was the Good poo poo, and they somehow managed to get it all nearly right the first time

i think survival horror hit a bit of a nadir after dead space 2's release due to a combination of factors: market trends were pushing shooters more and more towards coop, the rise of MTX didn't jive with horror as a genre, and the increasingly powerful hardware developers had access to encouraged them to blow out the scope of games to the point where the claustrophobic minimalism of a setting like the ishimura got lost in the scuffle

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dabir posted:

That's pretty much what everyone thought at the time

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Shadow Dancer had a Good Boy you could sic on enemies, so it's the best by default. It being the only Shinobi I've played doesn't matter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Revenge was the only one with music from Yuzo Koshiro

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Draga posted:

Shadow Dancer had a Good Boy you could sic on enemies, so it's the best by default. It being the only Shinobi I've played doesn't matter.

Can hypothetically sic on enemies sure. It's a lovely fiddly mechanic that it doesn't make clear when you can actually use it

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm 7 hours into Alan Wake 2 and I guess if I could sum up my whole thoughts about it in a brief sentence it would be "Resident Evil 2 Remake if it had been given the Naughty Dog/Western AAA treatment" in the way that there's technically something people could call gameplay but it's all done in service of the story and that gameplay is not very deep or well thought out. Tons of walk and talk dialogue, standing still dialogue, unskippable dialogue (especially if the game glitches out and you have to repeat segments), exposition presented as gameplay with the evidence board gimmick where all you have to do is drag something on the screen so the main character can monologue some more, same with the "rewriting reality" element in Alan's segments which are his version of the evidence board. The story itself is entertaining even if tying it to the Control universe as part of some grand Cinematic Universe is an awful idea for this genre and just drags it down whenever anything related to the FBC pops up.
The combat has been significantly decreased compared to the first game, and while it was super repetitive in it at least it presented something to do in between all the cutscenes. Here when it does happen it's been somehow reworked into something worse, some enemies will vanish when pointing the flashlight at them, while others won't and will aggro, but since the camera is more zoomed in this time around there's a good chance you'll be taking hits from off-screen, especially from those enemies that can make bombs that home in on you and make you fall to the ground.
Like I'm glad Remedy got to make it since as with all their titles you can tell a lot of love was put into it, especially with this being something they had been wanting to make for ages even if I think since the first Max Payne their titles have been getting better presentation wise at the cost of their gameplay getting progressively worse, but it's one of those games where you're better off watching someone else play it on Youtube rather than spending $60-70 on it. Like I said at the beginning, it just made me want to play the Resident Evil 2 remake again.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dabir posted:

https://i.imgur.com/X0S97nF.mp4

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Gripweed posted:

30 Minute Missions is a line of very high quality but simultaneously quite affordable and easy to build model kits, designed to be easily customizable with lots of extra sets of weapons and armor. They just announced something that will be of interest to gamers

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1718190894661402756

worth pointing out just how affordable they usually are: kits run at about $15- $25 and accessory sets are $10. they built the entire brand on affordability, so there's a good chance the kits won't go beyond $40 or so even if they go all-in on complexity.

my bet's on $30 kits with $15 accessory sets

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GUI posted:

I'm 7 hours into Alan Wake 2 and . . . Control . . . the FBC

Man I hope they make Control 2 sooner rather than later, I loved that first game so much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GUI posted:

I'm 7 hours into Alan Wake 2 and I guess if I could sum up my whole thoughts about it in a brief sentence it would be "Resident Evil 2 Remake if it had been given the Naughty Dog/Western AAA treatment" in the way that there's technically something people could call gameplay but it's all done in service of the story and that gameplay is not very deep or well thought out. Tons of walk and talk dialogue, standing still dialogue, unskippable dialogue (especially if the game glitches out and you have to repeat segments), exposition presented as gameplay with the evidence board gimmick where all you have to do is drag something on the screen so the main character can monologue some more, same with the "rewriting reality" element in Alan's segments which are his version of the evidence board. The story itself is entertaining even if tying it to the Control universe as part of some grand Cinematic Universe is an awful idea for this genre and just drags it down whenever anything related to the FBC pops up.
The combat has been significantly decreased compared to the first game, and while it was super repetitive in it at least it presented something to do in between all the cutscenes. Here when it does happen it's been somehow reworked into something worse, some enemies will vanish when pointing the flashlight at them, while others won't and will aggro, but since the camera is more zoomed in this time around there's a good chance you'll be taking hits from off-screen, especially from those enemies that can make bombs that home in on you and make you fall to the ground.
Like I'm glad Remedy got to make it since as with all their titles you can tell a lot of love was put into it, especially with this being something they had been wanting to make for ages even if I think since the first Max Payne their titles have been getting better presentation wise at the cost of their gameplay getting progressively worse, but it's one of those games where you're better off watching someone else play it on Youtube rather than spending $60-70 on it. Like I said at the beginning, it just made me want to play the Resident Evil 2 remake again.

Man that was sounding good until the combat. I want someone to sit them down and explain that videogames don't have to have a gun at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Man that was sounding good until the combat. I want someone to sit them down and explain that videogames don't have to have a gun at all.

they came close with all the useless guns in Control

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ramie posted:

worth pointing out just how affordable they usually are: kits run at about $15- $25 and accessory sets are $10. they built the entire brand on affordability, so there's a good chance the kits won't go beyond $40 or so even if they go all-in on complexity.

my bet's on $30 kits with $15 accessory sets

I haven’t built one of them robits in years and this has my attention.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1718254064763298289

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

they came close with all the useless guns in Control

Yeah, I really wish the items were more often tools or weapons themselves. Throwing rocks and floating was cool but I still used god ode options to skip past non boss and challenge combat because it was just so much random pointless fights walking around. Also ignored several activities that were just endless fight spam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

What's the point then

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

needed something brain dead to play on my phone last week so I reinstalled marvel snap which I hadn't played since launch, when I decided that the game kind of sucked + I didn't like how it was monetized. still don't like it that much but it is very funny that the first deck I made on day one of playing it still destroys most matches I play. but I also remain, unconvinced that this game is actually multiplayer and not just an endless succession of bots. they absolutely make you play bots for hours and hours at the start but the supposedly real players aren't much smarter

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Microsoft about to have some PR fun :munch:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1718780303467258008

Oh what's that? The price for official controllers is magically going to go up in the future? :munch:

Good job creating an instant pile of e-waste as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
sony was already in the business of loving with third party controllers too, they did some bullshit where third party controllers (even wired ones) would get automatically disconnected after 8 minutes just to annoy you
the folks who make poo poo like third party arcade sticks had to deal with getting around that.
then they did some other stupid poo poo with the ps5 to break all the third party ps4 controllers too

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The "please return it to the store" message is hilarious given that in the vast majority of cases it'll probably be a years-old controller that has worked fine until now and continues to work fine on other platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"Compromises your gaming experience" more like compromises MS's wallet, greedy assholes