Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Blue Moonlight posted:

It was literally how Steve Jobs envisioned third-party apps would work on the iPhone - everyone would write web apps that would just be pinned to the home screen. He had to be talked into the App Store.

It's back... it's how I use Outlook on Linux, as a "progressive web application" via Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

mawarannahr posted:

It's back... it's how I use Outlook on Linux, as a "progressive web application" via Edge.

Reported for self harm

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's the theory on why enshitification massively accelerated in the last year? Google squeezing real hard right now with search being almost unusable & YT cracking down on ad blockers, Reddit axed 3rd party apps, etc.

Most of the tech industry is highly profitable, made a shitton of money during the pandemic and the tech job market cooled down. Why are they doing this now?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

GABA ghoul posted:

What's the theory on why enshitification massively accelerated in the last year? Google squeezing real hard right now with search being almost unusable & YT cracking down on ad blockers, Reddit axed 3rd party apps, etc.

Most of the tech industry is highly profitable, made a shitton of money during the pandemic and the tech job market cooled down. Why are they doing this now?

need more money

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

GABA ghoul posted:

Number go up but number of go up not go up.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

yup, it's a one way ratchet that never ends. no matter how hard you enshittified your products in order to hit your numbers this year you gotta do it even harder next year.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

What even is a dot com bubble? That’ll never happen!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Google has had bad years or phases of stagnation before though. And it's a lot of different companies ramping it up at the same time. Feels different, like something has changed.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

GABA ghoul posted:

I think they're emboldened by each other's layoffs and policy changes that piss off their employees and customers but almost never seem to cause them to actually lose enough support to eat poo poo. For example, I'm sure Google saw what happened with Netflix cracking down on account sharing and decided they could get away with forcing people to pay for youtube with crackdowns on ad blockers.

On a personal level, many years ago I left a large company to work for a very small, specialized company that was privately owned. A slightly larger company started pouring honey into the owners ears about growth and in short order they agreed to let the larger company purchase us. Long story short, they ended up selling themselves to a large company and just like that I was back where I started.

The next company I went to recently took on outside investors because of growth. A year later a huge round of layoffs just to satisfy revenue growth targets.

BOTH of these companies were very profitable and had no specific need for growth. In both cases a company I actually liked working for became hosed up because of growth. I swear to god I'd rather listen to the anguished screams of dying children than sit in on another all hands meeting where some dick head in a patagonia vest talks about revenue growth.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It’s companies chasing that pandemic captive-audience high and poorly dealing with the fact that they’re just not getting that back - that’s why it’s happening fairly consistently across the industry.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

is pepsi ok posted:

yup, it's a one way ratchet that never ends. no matter how hard you enshittified your products in order to hit your numbers this year you gotta do it even harder next year.

one way ratchet is a great way to describe it

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s companies chasing that pandemic captive-audience high and poorly dealing with the fact that they’re just not getting that back - that’s why it’s happening fairly consistently across the industry.

This with the free money faucet. When the fed started raising interest rates there were a lot of knock-on effects when a lot of startups became non-viable overnight, to say nothing of the insanity of places like SVB tanking. In short the CEO class is the last group of people you want in charge of anything other than cruel greed factories.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

maybe fake but real enough

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

GABA ghoul posted:

Interest rates went up, so the stupid easy goofball money is gone. Strategies has gone from "Growth at any cost" to "Oh poo poo, we actually need to make money now".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If it was full service?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Can we please change the thread title to something with the word "enshittification" in it? I've been getting some good mileage out of it lately and I want more people to know that joy.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

A couple weeks ago, a Search bar appeared on my taskbar at work. I found the option to disable it, but it doesn't let me uncheck it. lovely OS, or did IT somehow lock down the settings? Either way, it's poo poo. That's valuable real-estate for minimized apps that I could be clicking. Luckily it's only on one monitor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Send an IT ticket demanding that it be disabled.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

withak posted:

Send an IT ticket demanding that it be disabled.

Watch, they’ll just disable search entirely for everyone, but in a way that it just leaves a broken text box in everyone’s task bar.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Seriously, why did google remove "home" as one of the search suggestions in google maps? I can't even think of an evil capitalist reason other than Home Depot paid them $$$ to get to the top

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ah, that reminds me of another Windows gripe. Both Outlook and Teams can run hidden/minimized to the system tray in Win10. But Outlook minimizes to the system tray while Teams closes to the system tray. You can't make them both behave the same way and I always forget which one I have to minimize to hide and which one I have to close to hide.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does this home you speak of sell any goods or services? Why would you want directions to somewhere that wouldn't let you consume goods and services?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

wash bucket posted:

Ah, that reminds me of another Windows gripe. Both Outlook and Teams can run hidden/minimized to the system tray in Win10. But Outlook minimizes to the system tray while Teams closes to the system tray. You can't make them both behave the same way and I always forget which one I have to minimize to hide and which one I have to close to hide.

:thunk: trying to figure out the common issue with all three of those products

gonna send that one down to the lab

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wash bucket posted:

Simple, Outlook is mostly a normal program that performs a function and goes away when you tell it, Teams is a cancerous growth that hates you and your computer and wants to devour all your resources and make your life miserable so it always lurks in the darkness.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

DrPossum posted:

Seriously, why did google remove "home" as one of the search suggestions in google maps? I can't even think of an evil capitalist reason other than Home Depot paid them $$$ to get to the top

Are you talking about the app or the website? At the very least I just checked the android app and it has the Home and Work I set at the top as separate from the list.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

kiminewt posted:

Are you talking about the app or the website? At the very least I just checked the android app and it has the Home and Work I set at the top as separate from the list.

both. mine is gone and has been for some time, even when I change it. possibly *when* I changed it. possibly when I enabled some privacy settings now that I think about it

but if I type the full word "home" and hit the search icon, it goes to my home

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

DrPossum posted:

Probably accidental enshittification because an underpaid engineer deployed a code change that wasn’t adequately reviewed because QA is automated by software now instead of paying a human to actually check poo poo.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Lurk Ethic posted:

A couple weeks ago, a Search bar appeared on my taskbar at work. I found the option to disable it, but it doesn't let me uncheck it. lovely OS, or did IT somehow lock down the settings? Either way, it's poo poo. That's valuable real-estate for minimized apps that I could be clicking. Luckily it's only on one monitor.
Microsoft enforced adding a search bar to the start menu, even if you use a third party menu like Start11, in a recent set of OS updates. They also added several background app-loading processes to get around users disabling stock app loading in registry.

Those bars can also be added by GPO, though at user level you can turn it off from the taskbar settings menu.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DrPossum posted:

Well, I figured it out.

I'm being punished by google because I turned off "save web and app activity" in my global account settings.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Lurk Ethic posted:

You don't uncheck it, you pick a no search option. I did this last week.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

GABA ghoul posted:

Google has had bad years or phases of stagnation before though. And it's a lot of different companies ramping it up at the same time. Feels different, like something has changed.

The rate of profit, duh.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anonumos posted:

The rate of profit, duh.

Rate of profit has increased for most companies during the pandemic though. The just for the hell of it “greed” price increases that’s made up 20-25% of inflation.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Rate of profit has increased for most companies during the pandemic though. The just for the hell of it “greed” price increases that’s made up 20-25% of inflation.

Because the rate of profit tends to fall, they have to resort to more extreme measures to keep it from doing so. They're fighting against economic entropy. We've accepted an economic system that does not favor stability, steady growth, or "just" good profits.

I would say this was unsustainable, but it depends on the amount of energy spent propping up the system.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 30, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The only thing worse than videogame fans are people who watch people play video games and think that is equivalent to actually playing and interacting with video games

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ah, we've found the new version of "and my dad says I'm on the computer too much but he just sits and watches football ON TV!!!"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GABA ghoul posted:

:airquote: Tech :airquote: has been profitable, but a lot of it was gouging for equipment fulfillment for COVID backlog. I dont know that Reddit has ever been profitable, and Google has been bleeding money on SEO ads for a while. Facebook/Meta has also burned 100b chasing VR poo poo, Zoom is gearing up to lose the fight to MS Teams at the corporate/enterprise level, on and on

anonumos posted:

Because the rate of profit tends to fall, they have to resort to more extreme measures to keep it from doing so. They're fighting against economic entropy. We've accepted an economic system that does not favor stability, steady growth, or "just" good profits.

I would say this was unsustainable, but it depends on the amount of energy spent propping up the system.

also this. Rates being super cheap propped up a lot of :airquote: unicorn :airquote: tech companies, where they could churn money endlessly on the hope they go 100x at some point. Now that rates are effectively 4x what they were in November 2020, everything needs to turn 4x as much profit for the bloodsucking VCs. Things like Uber/Lyft being in the red by hundreds of millions of dollars for years on end was an aberration.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

DrPossum posted:

maybe fake but real enough

A couple of weeks ago, I took my dad’s truck to the car wash for the cheapo special. It’s usually a press a button on the touch screen, tap card, and enter the wash from the raised arm deal.

A worker came out this time, pressed the button for me, tapped my card, and then asked me if I wanted to leave a tip. I almost laughed and said, “For pressing a button??? No.

In hindsight, I sounded like an rear end in a top hat even though I really felt bad for the dude, but c’mon, homie, you pressed a button I usually press myself. That doesn’t warrant a tip. I’m sorry, dude.

The machine has never asked for a tip before, so I think it’s something new the car wash implemented with staff working the touchscreen instead of the customers doing it themselves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rich consolidated power and are now flexing

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bossy lady posted:

I swear to god I'd rather listen to the anguished screams of dying children than sit in on another all hands meeting where some dick head in a patagonia vest talks about revenue growth.

Make this the thread title somehow tia

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The machine has never asked for a tip before, so I think it’s something new the car wash implemented with staff working the touchscreen instead of the customers doing it themselves.

When I worked at a bar/'bistro' in Scotland we decided we'd like some of these 'tips' the yanks got. Without the permission of the owners/managers, we turned the restaurant from an order at the counter deal to full service. Tips went up but of course management all took their cut because what are labour laws when you're employing easily abused foreign workers.

The take away is if you force people to be serviced you can get some money. I don't really blame the grunts for doing it because they deserve a cut and id do it too. Still don't tip for counter poo poo unless it's warrented tho.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Probably accidental enshittification because an underpaid engineer deployed a code change that wasn’t adequately reviewed because QA is automated by software now instead of paying a human to actually check poo poo.

My company had 20 QA people... Now we have 4 proper QA people and 16 people that write code, but our software has no API so they can only test the web pages. Gotta be by far most useless part of the team. I manual test a new feature , then if it's on a web interface they come ask me how it works and write a little code that does what 8 just did... Like what? The code automation guys get paid significant more money than too lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Simple, Outlook is mostly a normal program that performs a function and goes away when you tell it, Teams is a cancerous growth that hates you and your computer and wants to devour all your resources and make your life miserable so it always lurks in the darkness.

In a pinch, I made the mistake of installing the Teams app on my personal video game machine, and logging in once. It added an apparently unremovable work e-mail user account somewhere deep inside my Windows settings, it keeps popping up in unrelated places and sometimes I randomly see our company logo plastered in unexpected spots like at the top of the start menu. Considering reinstall because I’m not sure if I’m now somehow shadow managed by the corporate IT.