Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the problems with comics are beloved characters getting turned into assholes up to ridiculous poo poo that's far less interesting than it sounds.

Another way that's a lot like pro wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I BOUGHT THOSE BOOKS AS THEY CAME OUT
:same:
Time is the fire in which we all burn.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

oldpainless posted:

Wow, older than me. Jesus Christ

More like youngpainless

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Alaois posted:

in X-Men Evolution, Kurt tries really hard to hide the fact that he's a fuzzy blue demon elf man from his girlfriend and then she finds out and is even more into it

X-Men Evolution is one of those shows that is way better than its base premise (X-Men as high schoolers) would have you believe.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Media that didn't get the chance to age at all.

https://twitter.com/waxmohawk/status/1718148251054997657

And uh, Foodfight.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I refuse to believe that a remake of The Incredible Mister Limpet starring Jim Carrey is anything other than a hoax.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Kitty Pryde rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDYus7iKC8

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Schubalts posted:

X-Men Evolution is one of those shows that is way better than its base premise (X-Men as high schoolers) would have you believe.

Has one of the best iterations of Cyclops, by writers who actually give a gently caress about him as a character.

I like Scott dammit

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

ponzicar posted:

I refuse to believe that a remake of The Incredible Mister Limpet starring Jim Carrey is anything other than a hoax.
I did not ask for this Seaman remake. The ZG version is actually kind of adorable, though. Lmao at the surprisingly great background concepts for Foodfight by an artist who apparently wants their name nowhere near it.

I'm just now starting the section on Dreaming Machine, and god, what an absolute tragedy that Kon was taken so soon. Just an absolutely brilliant artist and filmmaker.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

ponzicar posted:

Then don't look up the test footage. Add Carrey at his most "rubber-faced fart smith" stage to 90's cgi and, well, yikes.

It's the uncanny Marianas Trench...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
"Batman in high school" is also better than its premise, and those gruesome deaths will never go outta style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31ROvszfGU

Volcott has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Oct 30, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I quit buying comics over a decade ago, but I think it's weird and kinda dumb that Beast is all evil now.

I mean isn't that why Dark Beast is a thing?

There's a pretty funny page from a more recent run (which I'm told was pretty good) where Mr Sinister is talking to Dark Beast's head and going "Sorry pal, you're not even the darkest Beast nowadays."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schubalts posted:

Honestly, given the whole premise of the X-Men is literally a school, it's barely a stretch.

The whole dynamic between the older and younger mutants is a pretty solid core to build around, especially grumpy uncle Logan dealing with teenage shenanigans.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, given the whole premise of the X-Men is literally a school, it's barely a stretch.

The whole dynamic between the older and younger mutants is a pretty solid core to build around, especially grumpy uncle Logan dealing with teenage shenanigans.

One of the reasons, imo, that Evolution worked so well is specifically because the ages of the characters were drawn so much more overtly whereas in the comics a lot of the characters are more vaguely teenaged to forties, popping in and out of timelines and realities and it gets really loving weird when multiple old rear end men are constantly falling in love with like teenage jean grey and that just kind of becomes one of their character traits even like forty years later.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Has one of the best iterations of Cyclops, by writers who actually give a gently caress about him as a character.

I like Scott dammit

Yes, thank you. I've always thought Cyclops was interesting and wasn't just the stick up his rear end straight man foil to Wolverine or w/e they'd regularly frame him as.

Also haven't the modern comics finally done the cool thing and made Scott, Jean, and Logan a throuple?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nuebot posted:

One of the reasons, imo, that Evolution worked so well is specifically because the ages of the characters were drawn so much more overtly whereas in the comics a lot of the characters are more vaguely teenaged to forties, popping in and out of timelines and realities and it gets really loving weird when multiple old rear end men are constantly falling in love with like teenage jean grey and that just kind of becomes one of their character traits even like forty years later.

Very much, and things like the age gaps had very obvious effects like Scott and Jean being older teens trying to be responsible leaders and role models under pressure from the adults. I think the comics have tried to work with that kinda thing but it doesn't go off well thanks to them being terrible at writing young characters and also in general, and tending to kill off every single young character in pointlessly brutal ways regularly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pentaro posted:

And uh, Foodfight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2TV4lupHME

every so often I see someone on the internet who is ostensibly an actual real human being and yet Foodfight! somehow nailed their mannerisms spot on (doesn't hurt that Christopher Lloyd absolutely hammed it up as Mr. Clipboard)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's.

they were definitely a thing in the early 2000s because i joined SA around that time and it was in fact this place that made me (and probably half the internet) aware of their existence in the first place.

Volcott posted:

"Batman in high school" is also better than its premise, and those gruesome deaths will never go outta style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31ROvszfGU

ugh that episode still gives me nightmares if you think about the worst case scenario that dude might be going through

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Literally being dragged to hell.

gently caress yeah. Beyond owned.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Beyond really was pure nightmare fuel at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66qtGQwYac

That aside, I'm really amazed at how Bruce Timm managed to take some brain dead execs telling him "make Teen Batman" and made it WORK. Having Bruce as the cranky old mentor and contrasting him with Terry as well as adding a ton of new villains made all the difference.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
And essentially going, character wise, what if Batman was Spider-Man?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

AceOfFlames posted:

Old Bruce needed a fast disguise. And what did he still have in the Batcave and grab and put on?

The Gray Ghost.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the problems with comics are beloved characters getting turned into assholes up to ridiculous poo poo that's far less interesting than it sounds.

Another way that's a lot like pro wrestling.

You either die a hero, or live long enough for the writers to run out of ideas.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The current Krakoa status quo (which is gearing up to a close, presumably back to the previous status quo) is definitely the most interest the comics have been in decades and I guess people like Beast were just prime to be derailed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

That aside, I'm really amazed at how Bruce Timm managed to take some brain dead execs telling him "make Teen Batman" and made it WORK. Having Bruce as the cranky old mentor and contrasting him with Terry as well as adding a ton of new villains made all the difference.

It was a good series, it's just unfortunate it only got one season so only two? villains really got fleshed out. On the plus side, we got a solid animated movie and a decent epilogue in the Justice League series.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

John Murdoch posted:

Yes, thank you. I've always thought Cyclops was interesting and wasn't just the stick up his rear end straight man foil to Wolverine or w/e they'd regularly frame him as.

Also haven't the modern comics finally done the cool thing and made Scott, Jean, and Logan a throuple?

Did they? :3: I love that.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Beyond did have some fun villains. I liked Inque, the shape-shifting assassin who managed to be a femme fatale despite looking only vaguely humanoid most of the time.

Edit: She even seduces people

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Oct 31, 2023

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Randalor posted:

It was a good series, it's just unfortunate it only got one season so only two? villains really got fleshed out. On the plus side, we got a solid animated movie and a decent epilogue in the Justice League series.

Batman Beyond had 3 seasons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's. So all these shows from Gargoyles to Xmen missed it where some people would be lining up for days to date Beast or Nightcrawler or anyone who didn't look human.

"Oh no I have been turned into a hot cat person by an evil scientist and want to become human again! Or.....I can stay like this?"

I am waiting for a Beauty and the Beast where the beast is some kind of insect/vulture mix instead of a mammal hybrid. There might still be people thinking it looks cool but not many will line up to gently caress a cockroach with a Skesis face.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

Batman Beyond had 3 seasons

I keep thinking it was just a 26 episode season, not the weird 2 half-seasons and one full season.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

[whispering to date] That’s Chappie

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nameless Pete posted:

Beyond did have some fun villains. I liked Inque, the shape-shifting assassin who managed to be a femme fatale despite looking only vaguely humanoid most of the time.

Edit: She even seduces people

Inque was straight up insane awesome. Clayface had nothing on her. And I loved Clayface from TAS.

Remember the episode where she needed some recoop time and hid out with her daughter? Who she had given to some couple to raise and sent money, but we never got any sign of how they treated her. The now adult daughter did let her stay and they bonded, even when Inque explained how much more money she had. And of course at the end, the girl sabotaged the poo poo Inque needed to survive, and when asked why, all she said was "All you ever gave me was money. How did you expect me to turn out?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Inque was straight up insane awesome. Clayface had nothing on her. And I loved Clayface from TAS.

Remember the episode where she needed some recoop time and hid out with her daughter? Who she had given to some couple to raise and sent money, but we never got any sign of how they treated her. The now adult daughter did let her stay and they bonded, even when Inque explained how much more money she had. And of course at the end, the girl sabotaged the poo poo Inque needed to survive, and when asked why, all she said was "All you ever gave me was money. How did you expect me to turn out?"

Also the episode where she seduces her orderly into helping her escape, promising him the same powers in exchange. However, she's only using the orderly to get what she wants as he spent the better part of her imprisonment droning on about boring minutiae of his life, and she deliberately only gives him some of the formula, leaving him a boneless blob man, who ends up helplessly lying in a tank in the same facility, with another orderly subjecting him to the exact same boring hell that he subjected Inque to unknowingly for the rest of his life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

April Moon is still probably my favourite episode. The DCAU is really good at getting away with poo poo through implication even more than it shows.

bunnyofdoom posted:

And essentially going, character wise, what if Batman was Spider-Man?

Kinda lol then eventually Spider-man becomes the high school hero in a high-tech suit provided by a rich veteran hero.

Cowslips Warren posted:

And that ending was great. The daughter more or less succeeds, as far as she knows, but then she looks around at her back garden- at every shadow, at abstract sculptures- and realises what she's done, betrayed a nigh-unkillable shapeshifter that literally could be anywhere, and anything.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Which also served as a nice call back to the Riddler's debut ep in TAS.

"'How much money is a good night's sleep worth?' Now there's a riddle for you."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

April Moon is still probably my favourite episode. The DCAU is really good at getting away with poo poo through implication even more than it shows.

Kinda lol then eventually Spider-man becomes the high school hero in a high-tech suit provided by a rich veteran hero.

And that ending was great. The daughter more or less succeeds, as far as she knows, but then she looks around at her back garden- at every shadow, at abstract sculptures- and realises what she's done, betrayed a nigh-unkillable shapeshifter that literally could be anywhere, and anything.

The fact that the daughter never shows up again would make you think that she was killed, but I get the feeling that inque is a lot smarter than that and might actually realize she herself is only to blame, which is pretty rare for villain. Or of course she killed her and we just never saw.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was the League of Assassins on Batman Beyond the same org as the League of Shadows on Batman the Animated Series? I know that League of Shadows was a BS&P thing originally, as WB didn’t want kids hearing about assassins

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Beyond had a lot of episodes I'm shocked they got away with. Like the one where Ra's has bodyjacked Talia and seduces Bruce to entice him to de-age in a Lazarus pit (so he can bodyjack a young Bruce instead). And there's a lot of implications that Ra's as Talia and Bruce are boning quite a bit as Bruce de-ages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was the League of Assassins on Batman Beyond the same org as the League of Shadows on Batman the Animated Series? I know that League of Shadows was a BS&P thing originally, as WB didn’t want kids hearing about assassins

I don't think so, the former is implied to just be an organisation of contract killers, if with very strict rules and high standards that backfire on them badly, while the League of Shadows is a specific organisation with its own goals, history and ideology.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The fact that the daughter never shows up again would make you think that she was killed, but I get the feeling that inque is a lot smarter than that and might actually realize she herself is only to blame, which is pretty rare for villain. Or of course she killed her and we just never saw.

Much like with the Riddler ep mentioned above, the ambiguity is part of the fun!

A lot of BTAS and BB are heavily noir influenced, and at times it really shows. A lot of episodes have bittersweet or ambiguous endings where people's actions are implied to come back to haunt them, sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when the Riddler gets screwed by his own psychosis. He so often thinks he's smarter than everyone, but there are times at least in the comics where he's TRYING to change and is simply unable to, like in one sequence where someone is going to him for help with something unrelated (he was a friend of her father's), and he can't stop speaking in riddles. He wants to give a straight answer, but he cannot, as he puts it he's a spider trapped in it's own web, and so she leaves frustrated, and he's just as frustrated with himself for being unable to give a straight answer. There's also the famous one where he tried to commit crimes without leaving clues but the crimes themselves WERE the clues due to a theme he hadn't noticed, which results in him giving himself into Arkham because "I think I need help. I think... I might actually be crazy."

There's also an interesting take in a Joker's Asylum comic which were a series of one-shots of varying quality that had interesting looks at certain villains, and the Riddler's was one of the better ones - Nigma falls in love with a woman he meets at a bar, and starts meeting her friends and generally being benign, learning her interests so that he can share them and things like that. Maybe a bit stalkerish at times but as far as he's aware his feelings are genuine and he doesn't really know how else to be. Eventually, she agrees to marry him, and that's when the psychosis hits. He suddenly loses interest, and has no idea why that has happened until he realises something he was completely unaware of while it was happening - while he thought he was in love with her, what was really happening was his brain had latched onto her as a riddle, and once the puzzle was solved it threw her away. This realisation completely devastates him as he didn't realise he was THAT bad, that out of control of his own impulses.