Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mega64 posted:

Bears could do worse.

And they probably will.

The wind whispers the name of a former Bears player and assistant coach:

~Jeff Fisher~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Relentlessboredomm posted:

There’s a few interesting quirks about that season

- It was 2020

DariusLikewise posted:

The most impressive part of what Staley did in 2020 was because of Covid

okay Chargers fans, you know what to do. get another global pandemic going

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

Not sure what the gently caress happened to him with the Chargers.

The Chargers' personnel isn't suited for running the type of scheme he wants to run, especially in the defensive backfield. They're a group best suited for playing press man and closer to the LOS; they're just not suited for playing pillow soft quarters/deep zone coverage, which is what Staley wants them to do. They're a defense that is so hell bent on not giving up big plays, that opposing offenses just carve them apart on the underneath patterns. And then they give up big plays anyway, eg the opener against Miami. I'll give him some credit for the run D playing a lot better this season than in years past.

Another low key part of why the coverage scheme sucks is that the pass rush isn't good enough to get home consistently. Mack is still a player who has flashes of brilliance (like the Raiders game earlier this season), but he's older and not a guy who can carry a whole pass rush by himself anymore. Bosa is playing on a bad toe and looks slow as gently caress out there in general. So, it's a combination of the scheme and the guys they have executing it who can't get done what they're being asked to do.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So what does Ron Rivera do when he's fired? Seems like too much of an established big shot to go back to being a coordinator.

Wade Phillips went back to being a DC for many years. I guess he's a HC in the XFL now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rivera seems to alternate between having a very good year for his defense and outright sucking the next year, before repeating.

...... I'd still take him over Joe Barry.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Rivera seems like a pretty decent bloke all things considered. He'd probably be good in a booth somewhere.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

BlindSite posted:

I think Rivera seems like a pretty decent bloke all things considered. He'd probably be good in a booth somewhere.

Don Rickles voice: “Yeah! A toll booth!”

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Durandal1707 posted:

The Chargers' personnel isn't suited for running the type of scheme he wants to run, especially in the defensive backfield. They're a group best suited for playing press man and closer to the LOS; they're just not suited for playing pillow soft quarters/deep zone coverage, which is what Staley wants them to do. They're a defense that is so hell bent on not giving up big plays, that opposing offenses just carve them apart on the underneath patterns. And then they give up big plays anyway, eg the opener against Miami. I'll give him some credit for the run D playing a lot better this season than in years past.

Another low key part of why the coverage scheme sucks is that the pass rush isn't good enough to get home consistently. Mack is still a player who has flashes of brilliance (like the Raiders game earlier this season), but he's older and not a guy who can carry a whole pass rush by himself anymore. Bosa is playing on a bad toe and looks slow as gently caress out there in general. So, it's a combination of the scheme and the guys they have executing it who can't get done what they're being asked to do.

there are usually 2 Chargers who always dominate the Chiefs despite their team losing, its Mike Williams and Joey Bosa. Both being hurt/out was a large part of the result.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So what does Ron Rivera do when he's fired? Seems like too much of an established big shot to go back to being a coordinator.

Febreeze posted:

On the other hand, this is now the second owner who has been ousted while Rivera is the coach, Maybe Rivera is secretly an owners grim reaper. Which team needs to hire him next? Browns? Chargers?

I vote browns.

Actually, chargers, if it means they move back.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Rivera is well-liked personally aside from his coaching. He could have a Bears radio show within 2 weeks of getting fired

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Actually, chargers, if it means they move back.

It'd be miserable to see SD fans/residents crawling back to them on a return after how they were treated last time

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chris James 2 posted:

It'd be miserable to see SD fans/residents crawling back to them on a return after how they were treated last time

The only way SD fans will welcome the Chargers back is with new owners

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nfl owners should have to run for reelection every 8 years. cities can't vote on who buys the team but they should be able to force current ownership to sell

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Don Rickles voice: “Yeah! A toll booth!”

Grudging lol

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

indigi posted:

Nfl owners should have to run for reelection every 8 years. cities can't vote on who buys the team but they should be able to force current ownership to sell

Relegation, but for owners.

Down the XFL / AAFL or whatever

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hizawk posted:

Relegation, but for owners.

Down the XFL / AAFL or whatever

Jerry Jones, proud owner/GM of the Birmingham Stallions

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I just can't help but feel Daboll's seat should be boiling hot right now. Two fourth and 1s, two field goal attempts that didn't even come close by a guy that's toast.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
He'll get a shot at bringing up his own qb. Remains to be seen if he'll go full Nagy

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Armitage posted:

I just can't help but feel Daboll's seat should be boiling hot right now. Two fourth and 1s, two field goal attempts that didn't even come close by a guy that's toast.

The Giants roster was one of the very worst in the league before they had to start their 3rd string QB. Sometimes as a coach all of your options are bad because your team is full of bad players.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Armitage posted:

Flip side he was playing his 3rd string qb on a terrible roster and still would’ve won if his idiot kicker could make 1 of 2 normal FGs

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No Waller, either.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Armitage posted:

Gano deserves more blame than Daboll, that was a game where a single field goal could have won it, any points should have won it, and he shanked them both despite being the only reliable source of offense the Giants have

Daboll isn't going anywhere till next year at minimum after this year they are probably gonna draft a QB, sit him behind Jones for a season, and then see what happens

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 29, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

You know what, gently caress it, I might be the only Bears fan willing to try it, but let’s give Riverboat Ron a chance. At least I can briefly think back to the few good Lovie years with him as something we might see again before Game 1 completely destroys the dream.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i hesitate to blame the guy playing with a knee injury (although why he is playing should be up for debate). daboll rostered a guy he didn't trust to throw a forward pass.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Arthur smith…welcome to the winners circle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

i hesitate to blame the guy playing with a knee injury (although why he is playing should be up for debate). daboll rostered a guy he didn't trust to throw a forward pass.

the weather was very bad

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

corn on the cop posted:

Not a lot of teams keep a third string QB that’s worth a poo poo but that also sounds like a GM problem not a coaching one.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Not a lot of teams keep a third string QB that’s worth a poo poo but that also sounds like a GM problem not a coaching one.

oh yeah Schoen shouldn't feel safe either.

I dunno, I may have understood the decision if Matt Brieda's your RB, but I'd like to think Barkley has SOME shot at getting one yard, even if the Jets defense is pretty good without Al Woods.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They're not firing the guy who literally just delivered their first playoff win in like a decade. This isn't a serious conversation.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Febreeze posted:

Daboll isn't going anywhere till next year at minimum after this year they are probably gonna draft a QB, sit him behind Jones for a season, and then see what happens

I agree that Daboll is probably safe this year, barring some catastrophic meltdown that would require both on and off the field insanity.

For non-Giants fans, it's worth pointing out the last three coaches were all fired after 2 seasons or less (Judge and Shurmur got two seasons, McAdoo was fired during his second season), and I don't think ownership wants to extend that particular streak.

Benne posted:

They're not firing the guy who literally just delivered their first playoff win in like a decade. This isn't a serious conversation.

Also, everyone knew last year was a lot of smoke and mirrors early on, and they struggled down the stretch. It also doesn't help that this season has been hosed up since about 7 minutes into the first game, when Andrew Thomas got hurt, and it's snowballed from there in various ways, particularly on offense.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Since starting out 7-2 or whatever last year, the Giants have won I think 4 games since

One of them was in the playoffs lmao

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

fartknocker posted:

I agree that Daboll is probably safe this year, barring some catastrophic meltdown that would require both on and off the field insanity.

For non-Giants fans, it's worth pointing out the last three coaches were all fired after 2 seasons or less (Judge and Shurmur got two seasons, McAdoo was fired during his second season), and I don't think ownership wants to extend that particular streak.

The circumstances of those 3 firings were different than what we currently have now, too. McAdoo got the job because Coughlin got scapegoated for the team's decline over the 2010's, then when the team fell apart in McAdoo's second year Mara overcorrected again after the benching debacle and fired McAdoo and Reese to do a clean house

They hired Gettleman, who hired Shurmur, but they (probably on Mara's orders) tried to make a final run with Eli happen instead of starting with a fresh young QB. That wasn't gonna work with the roster a mess so Gettleman drafted Jones, the team sucked, and Shurmur got the blame for it, probably unnecessarily but it's not like he was good.

Judge was horrible hire that felt like the Giants got swindled by a guy who talked the talk after Matt Rhule got stolen by the Panthers, and he was meh his first year, and might have survived his second season if he didn't have a complete press meltdown late in the year and after firing Gettleman the Giants finally decided to have a true, genuine fresh start

Daboll and Schoen are the first genuine attempt at a clean slate. Last year was supposed to be a *gotta grit out some contracts* year but they made the playoffs. They would need a catastrophic meltdown to get let go this year, and injuries are a good excuse so far. The team was in such a hole after the Gettleman failure and Mara is probably afraid to do it again. They need to fire the offensive line coach and have a good draft this offseason but it'll be hot seat time next year for sure

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 29, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In case anyone was still pretending Sean Payton was remotely on the hot seat I think we can firmly shut that door now. Beating the Chiefs at home cure a lot of ills

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

In case anyone was still pretending Sean Payton was remotely on the hot seat I think we can firmly shut that door now. Beating the Chiefs at home cure a lot of ills

There wasn't anything Sean Payton could do on the field to get fired this year. He had at least a 2 year leash even prior to this game.

The coach who has actually probably saved his job is Vance Joseph.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Arthur smith…welcome to the winners circle

The falcons have beaten zero good teams but even that level of success is kind of baffling from Smith

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

There wasn't anything Sean Payton could do on the field to get fired this year. He had at least a 2 year leash even prior to this game.

The coach who has actually probably saved his job is Vance Joseph.

I’m not sure how serious any comments about Payton being fired year one were vs just wishing for the funniest thing ever to happen. But yeah it’s now 100% impossible vs the previous 99%

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

what if he kneeled during the anthem?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

kalensc posted:

Unless Sean organizes a unionization movement at a Wal-Mart, he'll be back for Year 2 at minimum.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Fire Staley

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
LaFleur’s seat has to be getting at least mildly toasty by now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Fire Staley

I respect the dedication