Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Playing the Dead Space remake and it's damned good. I love that you just find weapons now rather than a schematic you have to pay for in the store to get.

Schematics taking up inventory space enraged me. Has the far future lost flash drive technology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the Twitch app suddenly refuses to load on my Series S while I'm tryin to watch some pro dota.... anyone had this issue? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling which worked once, but now no matter how much I restart or reinstall it it just hangs with a little loading symbol when I start it up. is this more series S limitations??

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
You don't really need an app, just use the webbrowser which can view twitch fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lammasu posted:

Schematics taking up inventory space enraged me. Has the far future lost flash drive technology?

I see it as you're carrying around a storage drive with the schematic for printing the weapon/item. You just don't have the means, or time, to download it beyond shoving it into a store terminal.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

You don't really need an app, just use the webbrowser which can view twitch fine.
good call, I never even think about using the browser because I don't have a keyboard with the console. also this seems to make it easier to not have to look at Twitch chat which somehow seems to have become worse than ever

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Martman posted:

the Twitch app suddenly refuses to load on my Series S while I'm tryin to watch some pro dota.... anyone had this issue? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling which worked once, but now no matter how much I restart or reinstall it it just hangs with a little loading symbol when I start it up. is this more series S limitations??

not just you amigo

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Many Bothans died in bringing this to us.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Is dead space remake a survival horror game where you never have ammo?

I loved Signalis aesthetic and all that it had going for it for example, but just wanted to shoot guns. I get why supplies are limited but that’s not my jam.

Which reminds me that what I really want on Xbox is house of the dead 2 and 3 and whatever that arcade only one was. I saw there was a hotd 1 for Xbox but it got completely poo poo on by all reviews.

This post is all over the place but does anyone remember The Club from OG Xbox? Badass shooter with a cool scoring system and I loved that game. Would be so down for a new one on the X.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

swims posted:

Is dead space remake a survival horror game where you never have ammo?

I loved Signalis aesthetic and all that it had going for it for example, but just wanted to shoot guns. I get why supplies are limited but that’s not my jam.

Which reminds me that what I really want on Xbox is house of the dead 2 and 3 and whatever that arcade only one was. I saw there was a hotd 1 for Xbox but it got completely poo poo on by all reviews.

This post is all over the place but does anyone remember The Club from OG Xbox? Badass shooter with a cool scoring system and I loved that game. Would be so down for a new one on the X.

No, not at all. It works like modern "survival horror" so enemies drop bounties of ammo and health when you get low but stingy when you're full. Its not signalis where there is actual ammo limitations and the pressure is on not killing foes. You can kill everything in Dead Space if you're not too wasteful.

The Club was super forgettable for me, very middling. What got its hooks in you about it?

swims
May 5, 2014

Cool I’m going to try it out.

I’m a sucker for arcade style games that are based around replaying them. I think at the time the only other games I was playing was street fighter 3 so Club was my shooting game.

My addictive game right now is Sifu. I bounce from that to Diablo and occasionally still play for honor and get absolutely dunked on in duels.

I just bought the hotline Miami collection and that seems cool. Only did a level or two so far. Badass main menu music right off the bat.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It appears, following a recent OS update, that Xbox is starting to causing problems for "unlicensed" controllers, including the use of Brook adapters of various kinds. It's possible this only affects online play, i.e. you might still be able to use a Brook adapter for local fighting game tournaments if all participants are in-person. Brook is trying to figure out a workaround but it's still tbd.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Space is so good. I love that it's kinda open-world-ish, but I can press the right stick and it just tells me where to go.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

swims posted:

Cool I’m going to try it out.

I’m a sucker for arcade style games that are based around replaying them. I think at the time the only other games I was playing was street fighter 3 so Club was my shooting game.

My addictive game right now is Sifu. I bounce from that to Diablo and occasionally still play for honor and get absolutely dunked on in duels.

I just bought the hotline Miami collection and that seems cool. Only did a level or two so far. Badass main menu music right off the bat.

Bah Gawd check out MIDNIGHT FIGHT EXPRESS

Best beat ‘‘em up in a while, wonderful lil game

It’s on ShamePass too

swims
May 5, 2014

Yeah mfe is totally my poo poo. I beat it a few times

Awesome game

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lies of P question -

I'm at the "Grand Exhibition" level, how far is it until the end? It's overstaying its welcome juuuust a little bit tbh. maybe I just need to take a break

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Dead Space is so good. I love that it's kinda open-world-ish, but I can press the right stick and it just tells me where to go.

I think it's the gold standard of remaking an old game - it's more than a graphics and compatibility pass and isn't a completely new game masquerading under the old name.

It's also quite impressive for bringing horror back to an old horror game series that ran out of steam in no small part because after 3 games the aliens aren't scary anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

I think it's the gold standard of remaking an old game - it's more than a graphics and compatibility pass and isn't a completely new game masquerading under the old name.

It's also quite impressive for bringing horror back to an old horror game series that ran out of steam in no small part because after 3 games the aliens aren't scary anymore.

The Remake does a fantastic job of rewriting the story so plot events are actually still happening NOW, rather than chasing ghosts well after everyone is dead/necromorphed. Not all of the crew are dead, and the Unitologists are all doing Cult Stuff on the Crew Deck. It also makes the ship feel much more alive and about a crew of people going through hell, rather than just being names in audio logs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lies of P question -

I'm at the "Grand Exhibition" level, how far is it until the end? It's overstaying its welcome juuuust a little bit tbh. maybe I just need to take a break

You’re like 65% there maybe?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dead Space is absolutely the standard for how you remake a game correctly. With keeping what made the original good and at the same time improving the visuals and the feel of the game. The tweaks to the story also don't radically change what happens compared to the original.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Speaking of Dead Space, I'm kind of stuck in the remake. I have the tram control board but it's not letting me do anything with it. My objective light seems to be pointing me back to the power transfer thing. Is this a bug?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lies of P question -

If you're getting winded I would take a break. I think you're coming up on the swamp which was just OK, and the last area was honestly kind of a drag in that it goes on way too long.

I really liked the game (stuck on the final boss) but the last area really needed pruning or more variety.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dead Space Remake is in a weird place where it's so faithful and true to the original that I am not sure what the point was. Like on consoles sure, but the original Dead Space was a perfectly great game and if you play it on PC with a higher framerate and resolution than the 360 version, they're both like - the same.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lammasu posted:

Speaking of Dead Space, I'm kind of stuck in the remake. I have the tram control board but it's not letting me do anything with it. My objective light seems to be pointing me back to the power transfer thing. Is this a bug?

There's a console off to the side you jam it into, not the main one in the room.

Also side-note; Really love they backported the revised grenade secondary for the Assault Rifle rather than the useless spinny mode the original had.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The swamp was also where I started feeling like I'd seen everything there was to see and just wanted to power through to the ending.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dead Space Remake is in a weird place where it's so faithful and true to the original that I am not sure what the point was. Like on consoles sure, but the original Dead Space was a perfectly great game and if you play it on PC with a higher framerate and resolution than the 360 version, they're both like - the same.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Remake does a fantastic job of rewriting the story so plot events are actually still happening NOW, rather than chasing ghosts well after everyone is dead/necromorphed. Not all of the crew are dead, and the Unitologists are all doing Cult Stuff on the Crew Deck. It also makes the ship feel much more alive and about a crew of people going through hell, rather than just being names in audio logs.

Which of these people are right, because it can't be both of them

e: I just started the re4 remake and so far it's pretty much the same game but worse because (very early spoiler) you can't save the dog

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 29, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Which of these people are right, because it can't be both of them
Those posters are both talking about different games

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those posters are both talking about different games

I quoted the wrong post and had to edit, whoops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can see the argument that Dead Space 1 didn't need to be remade, but clearly the studio was passionate about doing it.

I'm curious what they will do if there is a DS2 remake, because that game is much more action oriented. It's very much the Aliens to DS1's Alien.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dead Space 2 was an astonishingly good looking game for 360 and I'd be fine with just having a rerelease so you can play it at 120fps 4k.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The difference in the Remake is the detail. Most of the plot beats are the same, but with the trilogy to work off of they're able to better write some of the plot to be less nebulous. The Unitologists are much more prominent as a full-fledged religious movement among some of the crew, and the logs and sidequests have a much tighter arcing narration of the Ishimura succumbing to the Necromorphs over time, rather than a bunch of isolated "Oh no, monsters!" Audio and text logs.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a console off to the side you jam it into, not the main one in the room.

Also side-note; Really love they backported the revised grenade secondary for the Assault Rifle rather than the useless spinny mode the original had.

I went up to it but nothing seemed to happen.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can see the argument that Dead Space 1 didn't need to be remade, but clearly the studio was passionate about doing it.

I'm curious what they will do if there is a DS2 remake, because that game is much more action oriented. It's very much the Aliens to DS1's Alien.

Motive is making an Iron Man game next so a DS2 remake would be a ways off probably. Unless they have enough people to do both.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Making a good Iron Man game seems like a challenge good luck to them

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference in the Remake is the detail. Most of the plot beats are the same, but with the trilogy to work off of they're able to better write some of the plot to be less nebulous. The Unitologists are much more prominent as a full-fledged religious movement among some of the crew, and the logs and sidequests have a much tighter arcing narration of the Ishimura succumbing to the Necromorphs over time, rather than a bunch of isolated "Oh no, monsters!" Audio and text logs.

Yeah there's a lot of just generally doing a pass on every bit of the game and using the benefit of hindsight and the fact that they could use dev time to build on the original structure to just make everything a little bit better.

I also liked the story of Dead Space: Extraction (the on rails tie-in prequel from 2009 that covers events on the colony and Ishimura immediately prior to the first game). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd5EguI1gUY

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zachack posted:

If you're getting winded I would take a break. I think you're coming up on the swamp which was just OK, and the last area was honestly kind of a drag in that it goes on way too long.

I really liked the game (stuck on the final boss) but the last area really needed pruning or more variety.

Indeed, the rooms start feeling samey, and the level design seems to lean heavily into “big area”, I’m not sure why but it has definitely lost some steam for me.

Still a solid game tho, definitely try it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

e: I just started the re4 remake and so far it's pretty much the same game but worse because (very early spoiler) you can't save the dog

You can

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
You totally can

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The game faked you out

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Give iron man to FromSoft, easy. But also don't because armored core already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

univbee posted:

It appears, following a recent OS update, that Xbox is starting to causing problems for "unlicensed" controllers, including the use of Brook adapters of various kinds. It's possible this only affects online play, i.e. you might still be able to use a Brook adapter for local fighting game tournaments if all participants are in-person. Brook is trying to figure out a workaround but it's still tbd.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1718780303467258008?s=46&t=tsSQAD9ubSYJ1F0NTJRr3g