Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I do appreciate your commitment to get people to forget about playoff Kershaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

I do appreciate your commitment to get people to forget about playoff Kershaw.
Why would I want people to forget about elite performances like this??
https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1718453574303174763

People presently do an excellent job on their own forgetting about a big chunk of Kershaw playoff starts. I encourage them to remember them all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sorry Bawfuls, but I do not like your system.

I didn't read it because I assumed it was just a desperate plea to make the Dodgers look better for being good in the regular season and this is the playoffs thread so it wasn't relevant

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1718465986993545303

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't read it because I assumed it was just a desperate plea to make the Dodgers look better for being good in the regular season and this is the playoffs thread so it wasn't relevant
you should read it, it's fun and was inspired by a Grant Brisbee podcasting riff

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
bawfuls idea is excellent because fantasy/simulated realignment and restructuring of leagues and playoffs is always fun (for nerds (like me))

Also someone has to fill in for the hole oystertoadfish left behind

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

thank you kalensc, I remember those wild bracket proposals otf used to post adapted from I think Aussie rules football? They were great!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

you should read it, it's fun and was inspired by a Grant Brisbee podcasting riff

I only read playoff posts in the playoff thread :colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

half the post is about a new playoff format, I even bolded the key parts and used bullet points in case your attention span is broken by the internet

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's a good idea because how else are they going to be able to add decorations to Wrigley Field faster than once a century?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think any couples costume will ever top this

https://twitter.com/nothanksalex/status/1718428911485280290?s=20

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

When I die, St. Peter is gonna be at the gates and ask me "do you still think jokes about Randy Johnson obliterating a pigeon on accident with a heater are funny", and I will proudly answer yes and probably be sent STRAIGHT to hell

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean that'd have been funny inside a year.

Let me get a sunny bono costume with some skis, this topical reference will blow ppl away

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Completely incorrect lol it’s actually much better and funnier to do it when it’s not The News.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If you think that's hilarious power to you dude

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Didn’t say it was hilarious, said it was funnier than doing The Thing In The News. I understand many find The Thing In The News to be the height of comedy, a quality sometimes described with the pejorative “Reddit.”

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mmk

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s a great costume made vaguely topical by the sneks being in the Series right now

Excellent balance really

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I actually like the 32 team death match first round postseason, particularly the model where the higher seed starts with an automatic win going into a best of three series. It lets ever underdog have an outside shot, and once in a blue moon you'll get a dumb scenario where a 105 win team gets bounced by a 65 win team and we can all laugh about it. I also like and agree with shortening the regular season to 154 games and blowing away divisions so we just have two 16 team leagues.

The whole regular season trophy for the most wins in each league thing is hella dumb though. I don't care if you won the regular season marathon if it culminates in you getting bounced out of the postseason sprint by an absolute shitter team and neither does anybody else.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
bawfuls I quite like you and think you're generally an excellent poster - I particularly loved the time years ago that you managed to piss off Maddon's kid on twitter by spittin' facts about Joe's dogshit management - but you gotta realize you're way too far up your own rear end with this insistence that MLB institutionalize celebrating the best regular season teams, right? I know this has been over the last ~15 years what your team has been best at, coupled with then mostly eating poo poo in the postseason for a variety of factors, but come on. "Most wins in each league should get a trophy that we'll hold in nearly as high regard as the WS one" is a demand that could only come from Dodger fan living through the current era of MLB. It disproportionately benefits your team and nobody else, and you'd be hard pressed to find any other current fanbase advocating for it.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Baseball is like the one North American pro sport (hockey too, perhaps) where regular season success is absolutely deserving of accolades.

While the World Series will always be held in higher regard, baseball has decades of history which celebrate the best teams from April through September. "The Giants win the pennant!" is a legendary call of a phenomenal regular season climax.

162 (or 154) games is a lot! The playoffs are a crapshoot hugely impacted by injuries. The answers to "Which org performed the best during the year X?" and "Which roster won the October tournament in year X?" will very often be different, and acknowledging both seems very reasonable from a practical standpoint and from a historical tradition angle.

Also gently caress ownership and Manfred (and Selig) for steering the sport towards a structure where there's less and less incentive to invest in your organization and pay the players (in the majors and minors) commensurate salaries for their production.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
It's always a good idea to give greater weight to the regular season imo. Teams already celebrate regular season accomplishments like winning the division, and hardcore fans who watch all the games absolutely care that they led the game in wins. Now it would just comes with some extra prestige and possibly practical benefits. Players are never going to look past the WS, that will always remain the most important goal. But there are so many teams now that most fans find multiple ways to measure a successful season, regardless of the ultimate outcome. The fans who are going to hate it probably check out for most of the season, anyway. It feels purely additive, no significance to the World Series is diminished with these kind of changes.

Also for award voting, elevate the Hank Aaron Award, and choose a single MLB MVP from all 4 Cy Young and Hank Aaron Awards. Ohtani can win all 3 every year.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I like Bawfuls playoff idea, but it definitely needs that double header stipulation for the first round. A bottom 5 team is unlikely to have 2 good starters and even less likely to have multiple reliable bullpen arms so it’s a significant advantage for the top teams, but not completely insurmountable.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Can do a double elimination bracket where the top 16 teams start with a bye win and the bottom 16 have to earn both wins to reward the teams that do the grind well but still leave room for chaos ball. Then from the round of 16 on everyone operates on the same rules.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The format as it is doesn't determine the best team but it keeps beating the Dodgers so I think it works imho

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
But we could have more chaosball and the dodgers could still keep losing so it can be something for everyone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

I like Bawfuls playoff idea, but it definitely needs that double header stipulation for the first round. A bottom 5 team is unlikely to have 2 good starters and even less likely to have multiple reliable bullpen arms so it’s a significant advantage for the top teams, but not completely insurmountable.
yeah I agree on the double header thing, I edited the post to make that the default

I also think specifically doing those games all at once on a Sunday would make for excellent television.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Dodgers would still have eaten poo poo against the Rockies or whoever because they had zero (0) healthy starting pitchers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

The whole regular season trophy for the most wins in each league thing is hella dumb though. I don't care if you won the regular season marathon if it culminates in you getting bounced out of the postseason sprint by an absolute shitter team and neither does anybody else.

Sydin posted:

but you gotta realize you're way too far up your own rear end with this insistence that MLB institutionalize celebrating the best regular season teams, right? I know this has been over the last ~15 years what your team has been best at, coupled with then mostly eating poo poo in the postseason for a variety of factors, but come on. "Most wins in each league should get a trophy that we'll hold in nearly as high regard as the WS one" is a demand that could only come from Dodger fan living through the current era of MLB. It disproportionately benefits your team and nobody else, and you'd be hard pressed to find any other current fanbase advocating for it.

I don’t understand your hostility towards the idea. The addition of a regular season title does nothing to detract from the World Series, just as the addition of the Hank Aaron award did nothing to detract from the MVP. It is an additional accolade, that’s all. No one is demanding that you care about it. You are free to ignore it or use it to mock the Dodgers or the next team to win it a bunch while struggling in October.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Celebrating the best record in the regular season is good but reworking everything to do it is too much. Especially with balanced schedules.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actively do not want my team to win the regular season trophy and get mocked for being bounced in the playoffs year over year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Celebrating the best record in the regular season is good but reworking everything to do it is too much. Especially with balanced schedules.
The main motivation for reworking the schedule was to free up an extra week to make room for the 32 team super tournament

I threw in expansion and a more balanced schedule because the sport seems to be trending in that direction already anyway.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If any team in the bottom half wins the one game playoff, the complaints will be nonstop. And anyone can win one game.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Eliminate the playoffs, make it NL champ vs AL Champ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Make the Marlins the eternal 1 seed regardless of record

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

GalacticAcid posted:

Eliminate the playoffs, make it NL champ vs AL Champ

return to pure baseball.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Make the Marlins the eternal 1 seed regardless of record

Now I am thinking of the hilarity of having some kind of rotating #1 seed schedule and teams scrambling to sign pieces in the year(s) before they have the spotlight.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Now I am thinking of the hilarity of having some kind of rotating #1 seed schedule and teams scrambling to sign pieces in the year(s) before they have the spotlight.

It's randomized and the A's win it next year.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

#1 seed determined battle royale style. Team owners only. Just how bad do you want it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

#1 seed determined battle royale style. Team owners only. Just how bad do you want it?

Have a fan poll using this site with the 30 owners listed as the candidates