Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
After this and Control, I am begging someone to teach Remedy how to make a good boss fight. Or even like, a boss fight that doesn't suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Rookersh posted:

The problem is while this interpretation is neat we know from Alan Wake 1/Control that The Presence can't actually create. It can only take/corrupt. It can alter reality, but cannot create new realities.

Which puts a huge damper on that idea. Alan can't have created Zane, because Zane couldn't be created. Unless Zane was already someone who was living in the region with Barbara.

The only way that would work is if Zane and Barbara were in Bright Falls when Alan arrived, and after losing Alice at the cabin he wrote them into the story in such a way. Which is possible? I guess? But is kinda hosed up tbh and I don't think the intended system, especially since it'd mean the entire first part of Alan Wake wasn't real which isn't really implied at all.

Gonna address your points, but note that I haven't played 2 yet so if the new game contradicts me, I'll simply stand corrected.

The first game makes it clear that the Dark Presence, while powerful in it's own right, doesn't wield the ability to alter our reality on it's own. It needs someone from our world with a creative mind to manipulate in order to do so. Otherwise, it could just sit at the typewriter itself and be a god.

My interpretation is that the Zane backstory really happened, he was real, tried to resurrect his wife, unleashed the presence, and decided the only solution was to retroactively delete himself from reality, thereby undoing his mistake. Zane is now truly gone. Later, Alan is trapped in the dark place and manipulated into writing a horror story about Zane unleashing the Dark Presence into our world except without the deleting himself part, thereby negating the real Zane's original solution. Alan realizes what is happening and changes course by switching the protagonist from Zane to himself. Therefore, anytime we encounter Zane, it's the fictional version from the previous draft that is helping him, not the real person that ceased existing. This is how Zane can leave Alan the shoebox with the clicker. The real Zane had no way of knowing about that, nor did he shape Alan's entire life by writing a single page about his childhood. Alan wrote that himself and attributed it to Zane as part of the narrative.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Go to the Mind Place.

:tipshat: I could've sworn I'd done everything pending there, but apparently not. I have a feeling that'll be the most general advice whenever I get stuck in this game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

After this and Control, I am begging someone to teach Remedy how to make a good boss fight. Or even like, a boss fight that doesn't suck rear end.

Skill issue

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bold to assume i was bad at the bad boss fights

seriously though the second one just loves to get you into glitchy stunlock sequences where you fall over like 4 times in a half second, and the time i beat it involved her being stuck on geometry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

bold to assume i was bad at the bad boss fights

seriously though the second one just loves to get you into glitchy stunlock sequences where you fall over like 4 times in a half second, and the time i beat it involved her being stuck on geometry.

i assume you're actually talking about the third boss fight the drowned lady and it also felt like i was missing something there. just turned into a flat damage race because i couldn't dodge anything it threw at me

i'm going to give nightmare a shot when it comes out but i'm not confident in my chances, the performance issues and sticky combat become a real troublesome combo in later chapters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the absolute worst gimmick in any boss fight is having it take place on "islands" in a watery area which is why The Pain is the worst boss in the entire MGS series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and for another, broader criticism: this lighting engine bit off more than it could chew. yes, it looks gorgeous if you have a computer stolen from Area 51, but on PS5 there were rampant occlusion problems that made the world look like it got shot with a glitter cannon, you can't read anything your flashlight's pointing at because it gets totally washed out, and reflections are worse than you'd see a generation ago. really weird considering how great Control was with all this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can't zoom in enough to read posters on the wall which is a shame because some of them are really good

That's my bitch session about a game I really enjoyed lol. oh and I guess I wish there was more variety to the "overworld" puzzles than solving math puzzles and trying to work out what the rear end the nursery rhymes mean

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Okay. That was probably the most incredible sequence in a video game I’ve ever experienced. Unbelievable. The reviews were right. 10/10, no notes.

You’ll know when you know.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

man nurse posted:

Okay. That was probably the most incredible sequence in a video game I’ve ever experienced. Unbelievable. The reviews were right. 10/10, no notes.

You’ll know when you know.

Yup. meeting Mayor Setter was a true next gen only experience

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i would vote for mayor setter. i would die for mayor setter. and just maybe, i could find it in myself to live for mayor setter

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Combat bug / spoilers

https://youtu.be/0pibWmmYl9g?si=CCPGy-7Wp5LKpNYy

Uhh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

i would vote for mayor setter. i would die for mayor setter. and just maybe, i could find it in myself to live for mayor setter

I loving died when I realized all the campaign slogans were like, "Setter won't ROLL OVER", "Setter will SIT", "Setter will SPEAK"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I feel I’m still fairly early on in the game but I swear to god I was grinning like an idiot the entire loving time. loving Remedy, man

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have not yet met Mayor Setter but I have come to the conclusion that he is in fact a dog so I am looking forward to it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Alan Wake I'm not taking out pen and paper to solve your algebra puzzles

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yup. meeting Mayor Setter was a true next gen only experience

It owned so hard

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Oxxidation posted:

and for another, broader criticism: this lighting engine bit off more than it could chew. yes, it looks gorgeous if you have a computer stolen from Area 51, but on PS5 there were rampant occlusion problems that made the world look like it got shot with a glitter cannon, you can't read anything your flashlight's pointing at because it gets totally washed out, and reflections are worse than you'd see a generation ago. really weird considering how great Control was with all this

On Series X it looks... fine. Then you see stuff like the shadows on the string from the crime board, the lack of/fudged reflections, the aforementioned flashlight washing stuff out, or the lighting popping in and out. It's weird to have the game look generally pretty decent and then smack you in the face with something that feels like it's been a solved problem for a while. It has also forced four console reboots so far, so there's that. Overall aside from minor annoyance and snarky remarks I don't really care.

This is a solid GOTY game that unfortunately released in 2023.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Easily best game of 2023 for me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I'm really enjoying it so far, it could poo poo the bed later on of course but I'm not having the bugs or gameplay issues others are having and what is there is extremely my jam. Most of the other big games this year have disappointed me in some fundamental way.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well, I ran some errands, went to Harbor freight and bought some tools, sold a motorcycle, visited my mom, just did a bunch of poo poo and came back to Alan Wake 2, and this tutorial fight is still a bunch of bullshit.

I have 10 bullets. There is no ability to go get more bullets, there are no more bullets unless or until I beat this boss. And it is quite possible for me to shoot all of the bullets and not kill the boss.

Edit: And now, somehow, I've wasted all my batteries in this latest attempt because you can dodge cancel out of the burn down sequence but it'll still take your battery charge. This sucks.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 30, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just watching a little boat pass by. This game looks so good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well, I ran some errands, went to Harbor freight and bought some tools, sold a motorcycle, visited my mom, just did a bunch of poo poo and came back to Alan Wake 2, and this tutorial fight is still a bunch of bullshit.

I have 10 bullets. There is no ability to go get more bullets, there are no more bullets unless or until I beat this boss. And it is quite possible for me to shoot all of the bullets and not kill the boss.

Edit: And now, somehow, I've wasted all my batteries in this latest attempt because you can dodge cancel out of the burn down sequence but it'll still take your battery charge. This sucks.

If you dont have it, go back and get the shotgun. Also in the arena if you take the alcove path the right of where you enter (in the water) there are the ammo boxes affixed to trees like in the outside world.

Edit: The flashlight charge being wasted if you dodge (or even worse on occasion by you reloading the flashlight) however the trade off positively is if you need to reload a weapon pressing reload then dodging instantly reloads it. This completely negates the downsides of her 2nd and 3rd weapon.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 30, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

If you dont have it, go back and get the shotgun. Also in the arena if you take the alcove path the right of where you enter (in the water) there are the ammo boxes affixed to trees like in the outside world.

Edit: The flashlight charge being wasted if you dodge (or even worse on occasion by you reloading the flashlight) however the trade off positively is if you need to reload a weapon pressing reload then dodging instantly reloads it. This completely negates the downsides of her 2nd and 3rd weapon.

I couldn't solve the shotgun puzzle :( I'll see if I can find more ammo. I feel like, if I shoot the enemy weakpoint, and they're recoiling, more shots while they're in their recoil animation are wasted? I feel like that's the only way I could have straight up run of out of bullets when I know I "defeated" this boss in this encounter previously using only 6 of the 10.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Jack B Nimble posted:

I couldn't solve the shotgun puzzle :( I'll see if I can find more ammo. I feel like, if I shoot the enemy weakpoint, and they're recoiling, more shots while they're in their recoil animation are wasted? I feel like that's the only way I could have straight up run of out of bullets when I know I "defeated" this boss in this encounter previously using only 6 of the 10.

lmfao @ all your posts in this thread

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I run to the next ammo checkpoint, and loot ammo there, then I'm stuck in a loop where I have to run with an empty gun, reload it, turn around and shoot him, and then do that again, repeatedly. It's not fun and it's a failure of the game's design.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm watching Nightless Night and what the gently caress is happening

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One other thing I had to adjust to is headshots actually matter this time which, frankly, is a change I hate. It honestly hijacked a huge part of the games combat identity to me.

Does not meaningfully apply to crossbow with upgrade.

Also warning for people who want to fully upgrade a weapon for Saga, you do not get enough upgrade points (and can easily end up with leftover, useless points) to upgrade everything so you will have to choose one weapon to bless with you limited upgrade resources. This also applies to Alan and his upgrade system, but you wont have any wasted leftovers like Saga.

In the point of no return Saga will eventually be limited to only her handgun. This sequence isnt so difficult nor long its worth dumping all your points into the handgun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm watching Nightless Night and what the gently caress is happening

You're turning into an elderly Finn :gay:

He is singing in style of a traditional finnish Iskelmä, (Hits) Very popular with 60+ Finns.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I have met a new favourite character in Sagas CH5
Rose is such a fangirl. I love it!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Having completed chapter 3 for both characters, if the game maintains this level of quality and wraps up satisfactorily I will have to think long and hard on whether this or BG3 will be my personal GotY

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Issaries posted:

You're turning into an elderly Finn :gay:

He is singing in style of a traditional finnish Iskelmä, (Hits) Very popular with 60+ Finns.

One of my partners is Estonian, and she’s been watching me play this and keeps talking about how the whole game is actually ‘grooming people to accept Finnish weirdness’ LOL

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Chillmatic posted:

One of my partners is Estonian, and she’s been watching me play this and keeps talking about how the whole game is actually ‘grooming people to accept Finnish weirdness’ LOL

Sam Lake began this scheme with Ahti in Control.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't even beat this fight on Story Mode. I seriously need to upload gameplay or something because, gently caress, there has to be something fundamental I'm just not understanding.

I'm not even that drunk.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The new addition to the OP is courtesy of exquisite tea in the Horror Games thread.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The game is gorgeous.

I want a Yes/No answer for a spoiler. Does Barry return?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I actually went as far as installing OBS and recording an attempt on the boss, to seriously ask the thread what big mistake I'm making (on story difficulty!) that is hamstringing my play through, but I ended up beating it in that recording, so gently caress it I guess I'll just keep playing. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this Remedy game as opposed to every single one before it, but I guess it's not worth dwelling on.

Just because I already went through the trouble of recording it, here's the video. If anyone wants to watch it and say "hey you fuckin' idiot, you're obviously doing X wrong", I'd seriously appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1iKOxFos9o

Seriously, someone please watch this video and tell me what major mistakes I'm making; call me an idiot, I don't care, please help me understand why I'm finding this game so frustrating.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Barudak posted:

This completely negates the downsides of her 2nd and 3rd weapon.

WHAT?!? :aaaaa:

Here I've been carefully reloading her third weapon like a sucker. I thought I noticed something that that happening on a different weapon with an even slower reload but figured it was my imagination. That's going to make it insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Seriously, someone please watch this video and tell me what major mistakes I'm making; call me an idiot, I don't care, please help me understand why I'm finding this game so frustrating.

It looks like you’re wasting almost all your flashlight battery by not aiming it correctly at him. When the sparks or whatever are flying off that means you’re hitting him with the light. Also get the shotgun.