Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pops Mgee posted:

I’m loving done with Lafleur

Yeah. I was a Handsome Matt defender until the Raiders game, now it just looks like he has nothing to offer.

This team is just directionless, and they’re not showing any signs of adapting to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

And then they cut to the Commanders game and Sam Howell makes a throw I don't have confidence Love could make accurately.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I work nights, I worked last night. I got home at 7:45am, went to bed around 8:30am, woke up at 1PM to watch the Packers.

Not doing that again any time this year.

Oof

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I hope Cousins isn't injured. The Vikings have real potential when Jefferson gets back, and the noncontact injuries always freak me out.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, Rodgers would’ve broken in the first game of the season no matter what team he was on. He’s cooked and just won’t admit it.

Our problem isn’t that we moved on from Rodgers, our problem is that Gutekunst is a bad GM who spent six years building a terrible football team.

I've been pretty supportive of Gute since he came onboard, but he's got a long track record now and it has become really difficult to defend.

DRAFTING

Breaking down Gute's 1st/2nd/3rd round picks and leaving out this year's rookies as too early to assess:

Elite - None
Great - Jaire Alexander (1st), Rashan Gary (1st), Elgton Jenkins (2nd)
Good - None
Meh - Jordan Love (1st), A. J. Dillon (2nd), Eric Stokes (1st), Quay Walker (1st)
Bust - Joshua Jackson (2nd), Oren Burks (3rd), Darnell Savage Jr. (1st), Jace Sternberger (3rd), Josiah Deguara (3rd), Josh Myers, (2nd), Amari Rodgers (3rd), Sean Rhyan (3rd)
To be determined - Devonte Wyatt (1st), Christian Watson (2nd)

If you look at mid/late-rounders, you could say he hit on Doubs + Tom in the 4th, MVS in the 5th, Runyan in the 6th, and Walker in the 7th. So, that's 5/31 successes, and his only UDFA success was Yosh Nijman.

His philosophy has been to load up on athletic freaks, which was initially exciting since the Packers roster had looked so slow/outmuscled in playoff games against the Seahawks + 49ers defenses late in Ted Thompson's tenure, but so many of those players either turned into busts or inconsistent guys prone to mental errors that it didn't change the team's ceiling and ultimately lowered its floor.

TRADES

The only notable trades were sending away Adams in 2022 and Rodgers in 2023. Both trades returned decent value given that the players were clear they wanted out, but not exceptional. Especially in Adams' case, I would've expected a little more.

FREE AGENCY

I think the only notable free agent or practice squad pickups were Lazard in 2018, Amos + Smith brothers in 2019, Rasul Douglas + Campbell in 2021, and Nixon in 2022. He got Jones to resign on a good deal in 2021 but signed Rodgers to a terrible deal in 2022, probably the consequence of trading up for Love and neglecting the Rodgers relationship for years. Failing to resign Linsley in 2021 and signing Sammy Watkins were both mistakes.

COACHING

Ideally he would've fired McCarthy before the 2018 season, but Gute gave him a shot and ended up firing him midseason instead. Hiring LaFleur was an unpopular decision, and I think his performance is mixed. For most of his tenure I've seen smart football people praise his play design and playcalling, so that's a plus.

However, the playcalling has typically flopped in high-pressure moments, his team comes out flat after any kind of break (and in every single game this season), and his judgement in elevating Stenavich to OC and hiring Barry as DC looks terrible. Spending big money on Rich Bisaccia helped to elevate a league-worst special teams unit, but it took years to get to that point and it still wasn't enough to make that unit into a strength.

CONCLUSION

I think Gute's first couple of years were pretty good overall in terms of how he drafted in the high rounds and spent his free agent budget, but things have gotten ugly since then, and Love mostly flopping up to this point compounds every other failure. If I were Murphy, I would fire Gute. If his replacement were willing to keep LaFleur, I wouldn't be opposed, but only if LaFleur agreed to fire Stenavich and Barry. If he isn't, I'm fine with firing LaFleur too. You've gotta let Love finish the season, but assuming there isn't a clear and significant improvement in his personal performance, draft his replacement.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dexo posted:

I for one can't wait for the Bagent Fields quarterback competition next year

And now if we miss out on the top QBs I can't even fantasize about us signing Kirk if he blew his achilles

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I hope after the trade deadline, the Packers move on from Gutekunst and start interviewing new GMs.

Otherwise we’re probably in for two more seasons of this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

surf rock posted:

If his replacement were willing to keep LaFleur, I wouldn't be opposed, but only if LaFleur agreed to fire Stenavich and Barry. If he isn't, I'm fine with firing LaFleur too.

My concern with firing Stenavich/Barry but keeping LaFleur is that a huge part of a head coach's effectiveness comes from his contact network. LaFleur apparently couldn't find anyone better than Stenavich or Barry to come in and be the two primary coordinators. Nearly his entire original coaching staff has been poached by other teams or left for better opportunities.

That rolodex's looking bare.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bears should trade Fields to the Vikings for a boatload of picks and ride Bagentmania for the rest of the season. Then draft Caleb or something.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I honestly have no idea if Love is the guy. He’s surrounded by trash and Lafleur refuses to get Aaron Jones involved in the offense even though he said this week that he’s 100%.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Bears should trade Fields to the Vikings for a boatload of picks and ride Bagentmania for the rest of the season. Then draft Caleb or something.

We will give you Alexander Mattison straight up

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Those last few drives by the packers where they're given insanely good field position and can't convert on poo poo was rough to watch.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

My concern with firing Stenavich/Barry but keeping LaFleur is that a huge part of a head coach's effectiveness comes from his contact network. LaFleur apparently couldn't find anyone better than Stenavich or Barry to come in and be the two primary coordinators. Nearly his entire original coaching staff has been poached by other teams or left for better opportunities.

Yup, 100% agreed.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Pops Mgee posted:

I honestly have no idea if Love is the guy. He’s surrounded by trash and Lafleur refuses to get Aaron Jones involved in the offense even though he said this week that he’s 100%.

I don't think it's outlandish to believe that Love could be a winning quarterback in the right situation (healthy RB, healthy line, pass-catchers out of diapers), but it's feeling pretty clear to me at this point that Love isn't elevating what he's got. It feels like his ceiling would be leading a 10-7 team and his floor is like a 3-14 team. Part of being a franchise QB in the NFL is setting a reasonable floor for an offense even when you've got things working against you, and Love is failing to do that so far.

I'm not out on him yet because the sample size isn't large enough, but it's not promising. I'm assuming he starts through next year because of that contract extension, but unless there's a big improvement he's gone after that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pops Mgee posted:

One of my favorite tracks.

Always in my playlist rotation.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1718729627013726643

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Reminder that week 11 Vikings/Broncos SNF can't be flexed

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Interesting to see if players get traded out likw Danielle Hunter cause this season is toast now

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

That really blows, sorry Vikings fans. Your team has been kicking rear end lately. :smith:

The glide path for Detroit continues.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it is time for the chicago bears to take control

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Well
My son had a good time regardless of how crappy the Packers looked.
And they looked pretty drat crappy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/alec_lewis/status/1718734486471401549

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Fuckin Twilight Zone season.

"Thats not fair. There was time now."

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

brutal, he was probably not going to be in Minnesota next year and was still playing lights out the last couple games. wonder if he'll retire or do the same insane comeback plan as Rodgers

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Its gonna be weird if that's Kirk's last Vikings game...

Gonna miss him

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Well that's pretty much it for the season. Everyone calling for the team to lose out and tank is going to get the losses they want. The team will get a good look at Hall and should have a solid draft position to get the next QB1. It sucks because Kirk was balling out and the team has been showing promise in everything but the run game.

Aw, dang it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darth Brooks posted:

Aw, dang it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Heck,
I've
Torn
Something

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Also go figure this was the year where he really turned himself around and wasnt the ultra conservative QB when it mattered the most.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Does Kirk get a multi-year deal from another team coming off this injury? Otherwise it seems like he’ll back next season on a prove it deal given that continuity will help with his rehab

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Trade Kirk.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1718730375906656473

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Vikings mood right now:

https://youtu.be/_IooIZbqcBs?si=B5b380leDhJpmJH6

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Hey
I Think
The Tendon
Snapped

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Send the Steelers a 5th or something for Trubisky. Who says no to that?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the scuttlebut is he could've had Ejiro Evero but picked barry instead. They were all on the same staff.

Also I like LaFluer and think they should keep him around because his playcalling and OC abilities are really good but _this team_ is real bad and real young right now on the offense and just can't do poo poo. I'm not sure he's capable of running the offense he wants with the players on the packers roster.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Packers may never win another game

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mYSZ1jTG4

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

If Kirk really is done then let the Lions have the division. Packers, Bears and Vikings are in a tank battle for the next 10 weeks.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
if you're a rookie qb in the draft the Vikings have to look like the best landing spot right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
This division is drat dire. 7-10 will be enough to win it.